ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,368

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#1621 » by dobrojim » Wed May 1, 2024 12:39 pm

closg00 wrote:Can we get this guy as a consultant? :lol: Rui gets roasted too :lol:

This guy is hilarious.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,739

Post#1622 » by penbeast0 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:26 pm

dobrojim wrote:
closg00 wrote:Sixers stun Knicks. Maxey has a giant pair man, tying the game with that deep 3 to send it into OT, and the eventual win.

I can't count the number of times I thought the Nix won.

And YouTube effed up the recording in OT when the 6ers went down again (in OT)
and were poised to lose, so I didn't get to watch the very end.

I was flipping over to the Knicks board thread on the game . . . very New York. I think they agreed the team were chokers and had lost the game at least 10 times before the team came back and tied it up again, together with a lot of words with letters bl**ped out mixed with occasional Brunson is a God comments.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,019

Post#1623 » by Dark Faze » Wed May 1, 2024 6:14 pm

I actually turned the game off after the Knicks went up 5 in OT. Lol. To be fair I was tired af.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,548

Post#1624 » by nate33 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:29 pm

dobrojim wrote:
closg00 wrote:Can we get this guy as a consultant? :lol: Rui gets roasted too :lol:

This guy is hilarious.

His schtick is hilarious, but it's also very informative listening to his videos because he does a really good job of explaining how teams work in sync to handle various pick-and-roll situations. It's interesting the level of complexity involved, and it helps to explain why a well-coached team like Miami can play effective defense even if they don't have a lot of athletically gifted individual defenders. So much of NBA defense is just about being in the right place and not making strategic mistakes.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 462

Post#1625 » by Tyrone Messby » Wed May 1, 2024 7:36 pm

Man Franz was terrible last night. Having said that I think Paolo is a top 10 player in the league very very soon.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 849

Post#1626 » by 9 and 20 » Wed May 1, 2024 8:51 pm

Maxey reminds me a little bit of Arenas. Maxey is less explosive, but he's the same size, has some shiftiness to his game, and can hit those deep threes.

That Knicks - Sixers game was unbelievable. So good.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,361

Post#1627 » by Kanyewest » Wed May 1, 2024 9:01 pm

dobrojim wrote:
closg00 wrote:Sixers stun Knicks. Maxey has a giant pair man, tying the game with that deep 3 to send it into OT, and the eventual win.

I can't count the number of times I thought the Nix won.

And YouTube effed up the recording in OT when the 6ers went down again (in OT)
and were poised to lose, so I didn't get to watch the very end.

Similar thing happened to me when I rewatched the game on youtubeTV after already seeing it. I think they reaired an encore later and you have to click choose version to see the earlier version which shows the whole game.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1628 » by nate33 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:21 pm

9 and 20 wrote:Maxey reminds me a little bit of Arenas. Maxey is less explosive, but he's the same size, has some shiftiness to his game, and can hit those deep threes.

That Knicks - Sixers game was unbelievable. So good.

That is a pretty good comp.

I think Arenas is a bit bigger and stronger, but they are very similar in that they combine deadly range with an extremely fast north-south attack. There isn't a lot of fancy footwork or dribbing involved. It's just a hesitation dribble followed by a pull-up or an explosion straight to the rim.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 849

Post#1629 » by 9 and 20 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:58 pm

Read on Twitter
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,219

Post#1630 » by AFM » Fri May 3, 2024 12:23 am

Anyone remember that one guy from the Verizon Center that would stand up and yell--slowly-- "Kwame Brown, Is The Worst, Player, In The Entire, NBA!!!!!!" He was at every home game.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,389

Post#1631 » by NatP4 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:27 am

TJ McConnell in 23 minutes off the bench: 20 points 9 assists on 9 shots. 1 turnover

Nembhard with 14-5-4 on 9 shots. 1 turnover

Crazy playoff production for a guy that signed for less than MLE money, and a 2nd round pick in year 2.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 886

Post#1632 » by badinage » Fri May 3, 2024 3:01 am

I like seeing Indiana’s success. Why?

Because they put the lie to the (too) popular idea that you have to have top-end lottery talent to be really good. That that’s the way to build.

Halliburton went 12, Siakam 27. They’ve got good ball-handlers and shooters galore. And a great coach. And they play a fun style — the ball moves, and the guys look like they’re having a great time.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,389

Post#1633 » by NatP4 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:30 am

Acquiring Toppin for a couple of future 2nds was a steal.

Nesmith has also developed into a really good player. 14th overall pick.

33 assists tonight as a team. They are fun to watch.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,361

Post#1634 » by Kanyewest » Fri May 3, 2024 7:54 am

badinage wrote:I like seeing Indiana’s success. Why?

Because they put the lie to the (too) popular idea that you have to have top-end lottery talent to be really good. That that’s the way to build.

Halliburton went 12, Siakam 27. They’ve got good ball-handlers and shooters galore. And a great coach. And they play a fun style — the ball moves, and the guys look like they’re having a great time.

And they go against the Knicks who only have 2 lottery picks on the roster. Randle is injured and Alec Burks is out of the rotation.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1635 » by nate33 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:24 am

NatP4 wrote:TJ McConnell in 23 minutes off the bench: 20 points 9 assists on 9 shots. 1 turnover

Nembhard with 14-5-4 on 9 shots. 1 turnover

Crazy playoff production for a guy that signed for less than MLE money, and a 2nd round pick in year 2.

McConnell has been amazing all season and should have gotten a lot more consideration for most improved player.

His per 36 numbers for the season are:
20.3 points
10.9 assists
5.3 rebounds
2.0 steals
3.0 turnovers
.586 TS%
.409 3P%

His career per 36 numbers are just 12.5/8.5/4.1 on .552 TS%
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1636 » by nate33 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:31 am

NatP4 wrote:Acquiring Toppin for a couple of future 2nds was a steal.

Nesmith has also developed into a really good player. 14th overall pick.

33 assists tonight as a team. They are fun to watch.

Toppin is living the dream playing for Indiana. 79% of his 2PA's are assisted, and 97% of his 3's are assisted. 34% of his total shot attempts are either dunks or corner 3's. 82% of his shot attempts are either from within 3 feet or are assisted catch-and-shoot 3's.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1637 » by nate33 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:46 am

Meh, their "success" was in beating a not-very-good Bucks team missing Giannis for the whole series and Dame for two games.

They are definitely a well-run front office who have made shrewd, proactive trades (Paul George for Sabonis and Oladipo, Sabonis for Haliburton, Brogdon for Nesmith, Bruce Brown and picks for Siakam), but by not bottoming out and drafting high, they probably won't be much better than a 4th seed during the Haliburton era. It's not like they're loaded with a bunch of talented 20-year-olds. Haliburton is still improving, and Mathurin has potential, but most of the rest of their good players are either vets (Turner, Siakam, McConnell) or 25-year-old guys who are WYSIWYG (Toppin, Nesmith, Nembhard).

Going forward, I like the prospects of Boston, Orlando, Philly and New York better. Cleveland too, if they retain Mitchell or find a way to trade him for equivalent value.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,934

Post#1638 » by TGW » Fri May 3, 2024 2:07 pm

I will be rooting hard for Indiana when they play the Celtics. It's going to be the mid-90's all over again when I used to root for them vs. the Celtics.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 175

Post#1639 » by Endless Loop » Fri May 3, 2024 3:10 pm

nate33 wrote:

Meh, their "success" was in beating a not-very-good Bucks team missing Giannis for the whole series and Dame for two games.

They are definitely a well-run front office who have made shrewd, proactive trades (Paul George for Sabonis and Oladipo, Sabonis for Haliburton, Brogdon for Nesmith, Bruce Brown and picks for Siakam), but by not bottoming out and drafting high, they probably won't be much better than a 4th seed during the Haliburton era. It's not like they're loaded with a bunch of talented 20-year-olds. Haliburton is still improving, and Mathurin has potential, but most of the rest of their good players are either vets (Turner, Siakam, McConnell) or 25-year-old guys who are WYSIWYG (Toppin, Nesmith, Nembhard).

Going forward, I like the prospects of Boston, Orlando, Philly and New York better. Cleveland too, if they retain Mitchell or find a way to trade him for equivalent value.

Just wondering, which roster would you prefer?

This Pacers roster, or the Heat roster from last year?
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,426

Post#1640 » by doclinkin » Fri May 3, 2024 3:26 pm

Endless Loop wrote:
Just wondering, which roster would you prefer?

This Pacers roster, or the Heat roster from last year?

Either coach.

Return to Washington Wizards