ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,359

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#1561 » by Kanyewest » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:37 pm

9 and 20 wrote:Beal mostly invisible against Minnesota. Anthony Edwards has been great. Gobert also.

Cleveland has a lot of talent. I don't think Orlando has enough experience yet to make it by them. Cleveland/Boston should be fairly competitive, I think. Hoping so anyway.

Booker was the one who didn't do his job in the suns game.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#1562 » by 9 and 20 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:33 pm

Embiid nasty dunk and then the nasty knee buckle. Looked real bad.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,377

Post#1563 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:05 pm

Man it is such a joy to watch the Denver Nuggets play basketball. A perfectly-built roster.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 886

Post#1564 » by badinage » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:52 pm

And to think, we could have had the architect. What was the reason Tim Connelly didn’t come back again? Money, right? Leonsis didn’t want to pay him what he was worth?

And Connelly has now done it again, with the Timberwolves. Remarkable.

Pretty great that Denver is led by Calvin Booth, one of our old guys. He might not be the architect, but he’s the tweaker. And he’s made a lot of good moves.

Nate, what makes you say it’s a perfectly-built roster? What do you see as the shrewdest moves they’ve made over the past few years? Aaron Gordon really surprised me; I never imagined he would have flourished as a PF next to Jokic. Did anyone?
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 370

Post#1565 » by Silvie Lysandra » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:03 pm

badinage wrote:And to think, we could have had the architect. What was the reason Tim Connelly didn’t come back again? Money, right? Leonsis didn’t want to pay him what he was worth?

Pretty great that Denver is led by Calvin Booth, one of our old guys. He might not be the architect, but he’s the tweaker. And he’s made a lot of good moves.

Nate, what makes you say it’s a perfectly-built roster? What do you see as the shrewdest moves they’ve made over the past few years? Aaron Gordon really surprised me; I never imagined he would have flourished as a PF next to Jokic. Did anyone?

Gordon in terms of skillset and body is kind of perfect for Jokic (highly switchable long athletic forward on defense, rimrunner + stretch 4 on offense who can create a tiny bit, the question was would Gordon buy in.

I could see Kuzma excel in that role for his next team if he chooses to.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1566 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:10 pm

badinage wrote:And to think, we could have had the architect. What was the reason Tim Connelly didn’t come back again? Money, right? Leonsis didn’t want to pay him what he was worth?

I think that every player in the starting 5 is maximized to the best of their ability, but they haven't invested unnecessarily on skillsets they don't really need.

KCP is an excellent defender and catch-and-shoot player, but he can't create off the bounce at all. That weakness would be a problem on many teams, but Denver recognized that they don't need any shot creation from their SG position so they invested in KCP who provides the spacing and defense they need at an affordable cost (because of that weakness in shot creation).

Their sharpest move was recognizing that Aaron Gordon could be a best as an uber-role player 5th option who just focused on defense, protecting the rim, rebounding and cutting instead of the inefficient shot creation he tried to do in Orlando. Gordon is probably the best defensive 4 in the league, which is exactly what Denver needs alongside Jokic.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,540

Post#1567 » by closg00 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:11 pm

Clippers punishing the Cavs w/o Kawhi Leonard
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1568 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:22 pm

Zubac is abusing Gafford. Just backing him down over and over. As we all know, Gafford, while being an amazing rim protector in help defense, is a bad post defender who lacks the lower body strength to contend with the bigger 5's in this league.
closg00
RealGM

Post#1569 » by closg00 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:20 am

nate33 wrote:Zubac is abusing Gafford. Just backing him down over and over. As we all know, Gafford, while being an amazing rim protector in help defense, is a bad post defender who lacks the lower body strength to contend with the bigger 5's in this league.

Zach Edey's agent is smiling
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,389

Post#1570 » by doclinkin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:36 am

closg00 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Zubac is abusing Gafford. Just backing him down over and over. As we all know, Gafford, while being an amazing rim protector in help defense, is a bad post defender who lacks the lower body strength to contend with the bigger 5's in this league.

Got here before me. What I have been saying. In the playoffs having an unstoppable Godzilla in the paint can be a significant weapon.
closg00
RealGM

Post#1571 » by closg00 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:55 pm

doclinkin wrote:
closg00 wrote:

Got here before me. What I have been saying. In the playoffs having an unstoppable Godzilla in the paint can be a significant weapon.

Absolutely, which is why OKC is rumored to be ready to grab him as-high as 12th.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,342

Post#1572 » by dobrojim » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:22 pm

I'm not going to try to claim I had foresight about Jaquez but I will say I was confused how
little people talked about him. The more I see him play (how he plays), the more I think duh, of course he's
going to do well.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,389

Post#1573 » by doclinkin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:27 pm

closg00 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
closg00 wrote:

Absolutely, which is why OKC is rumored to be ready to grab him as-high as 12th.

Yeah I think the latest he falls is Toronto at 17. Hometown kid would sell a container ship of merchandise. League's biggest bobblehead doll.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,691

Post#1574 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:27 pm

Silvie Lysandra wrote:
Gordon in terms of skillset and body is kind of perfect for Jokic (highly switchable long athletic forward on defense, rimrunner + stretch 4 on offense who can create a tiny bit, the question was would Gordon buy in.

I could see Kuzma excel in that role for his next team if he chooses to.

If I really thought Kuzma would buy into that role, he wouldn't have a next team but would be a Wizard for life. He and Avdija both focused on defense, stetching the floor, slashing when face guarded, and playmaking from the forward spot would be a fine pair. Of course, I don't think Kuzma is planning on sacrificing his offense for defense but maybe for a team with established scorers like a Milwaukee he might. Or at least, maybe they think he might.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1575 » by nate33 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:13 am

Crazy end to the Knicks game!

This is the first Knicks team I've ever rooted for. You gotta love these guys.
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#1576 » by gesa2 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:04 am

Absolutely brutal for the Sixers. Living on MDs Eastern shore they’re my second team these days. Thought Hart pushed Maxey over in the last minute but the Sixers have to be able to get the ball in cleanly there and not depend on a call.
Whole game was almost 90s level physical
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#1577 » by tontoz » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:11 pm

Lakers lost a heartbreaker as well, up 20 in the 3rd and lose on a buzzer beater. :nod:

I was trying to sleep but woke up to catch the ending and it was sweet.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#1578 » by 9 and 20 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:06 am

Embiid is really hard to root for, and the Knicks have some lunch pail type dudes. But still, a Knicks loss means another Stephen A rant, fake rage or not, and I need those to drop every now and then.

Beal looks mediocre, paid like a super duper star.

Gaff has fallen off since hitting 50 shots in a row or whatever. Not doing great. But love what Dallas has going - watching Luka is great.

Denver, same thing. Watching Jokic and the Nuggets is just fun.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
closg00
RealGM

Post#1579 » by closg00 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:15 pm

gesa2 wrote:Absolutely brutal for the Sixers. Living on MDs Eastern shore they’re my second team these days. Thought Hart pushed Maxey over in the last minute but the Sixers have to be able to get the ball in cleanly there and not depend on a call.
Whole game was almost 90s level physical

Playoff level games are often physical battles of grit and determination, I always keep that in-mind when I looked at draft prospects, I wonder how-many teams are scheming to get Edey....
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,072

Post#1580 » by dckingsfan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:53 pm

9 and 20 wrote:Gaff has fallen off since hitting 50 shots in a row or whatever. Not doing great...

Maybe he is going to be a regular season guy that gets you into the playoffs... but not a playoff guy?

Okay, small sample size against one team.

Return to Washington Wizards