ImageImageImageImageImage

The Landlord, Go-Go Gadget Gafford. Official Daniel Gafford Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,572

Re: [SHAMS] Wizards and C Daniel Gafford Agree to 3yr 40.2mil contract extension..... 

Post#181 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:53 pm

doclinkin wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
mhd wrote:I'd much rather have Harrell vs Bryant. But, I'm not one who'd pay a ton for backup centers. We could always sign Robin Lopez back for 1 year next year (its not like his game is predicated on athleticism).

Given the choice between Harrell and Bryant I'd pick the latter and not think twice about it.

With Gafford in the fold Bryant adds an element to the position that we do not have otherwise.

If you could count on Harrell to be a defensive stopper I'd change my tune, but since he's not any more prolific in that aspect than Bryant I'd prefer the guy that can run and space the floor.

The element that Trez adds better than Bryant is proficiency in the Pick and Roll. Harrell has remarkably good hands while in motion, and good ball control putting it on the floor. Bryant's hands are more wooden and his coordination is not as advanced at Trez. Dinwiddie will make Harrell look good when they are able to develop their timing. Bryant scores from a standstill at a highly efficient rate, but scoring off movement is not his strength.

I like all 3 and they all have strengths that a good coach can utilize. I don't know that we can afford all 3 after this year, but I do think that playable centers will not be undervalued for much longer. Having a few under contract is not a bad thing. That said Harrell has an expiring deal as well, so if all 3 play well for us this year then likely Trez/TB will attract offers that are enticing. Doubtless Bryant would like to start if there was opportunity to do so.

Bryant has exceptional hands too. He was a pick-and-roll machine in his first season before he learned to knock down the jumper.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,937

Re: [SHAMS] Wizards and C Daniel Gafford Agree to 3yr 40.2mil contract extension..... 

Post#182 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:29 pm

nate is correct.

That said, if the deal is right then any player can be traded. Bryant should be available, Harrell should be available, Beal should be available. It's all about the deal.

The mistake I see repeated over & over on this board is pretending that Thomas Bryant has no particular value -- to us or in a trade: i.e. that he isn't a very good player.

In fact, Thomas Bryant is an extremely good player. Not just good -- extremely good. Not to mention that he just turned 24. He's only 6 months older than Rui Hachimura!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,072

Post#183 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:58 am

MikeTheKid wrote:
Read on Twitter

Mike Murdock

He would say, "Write this down:"

Washington will advance beyound the first round of the playoffs this season. The Wizards will be in Eastern Conference Finals within three years. The Wizards will be NBA Champions under Wes Unseld, Jr., likely within 7 years.

We have a pretty special big man or two or three. That's a start.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: [SHAMS] Wizards and C Daniel Agree to 3yr 40.2mil contract extension..... 

Post#184 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:00 am

FAH1223 wrote:Look who’s trying to stir the pot

Read on Twitter

Starters generally do not lose a position spot due to injury.

Thomas is no dummy. He's in a contract season. He needs MINUTES to earn his FUTURE MONEY.

I think he's wise. Stir the gumbo. I think Bryant's best move is to force a move. I've got ideas, too.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: [SHAMS] Wizards and C Daniel Agree to 3yr 40.2mil contract extension..... 

Post#185 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:14 am

J-Ves wrote:Gaff should fire his agent. First he signs a 4 year minimum deal in which the last 2 years aren't guaranteed. Basically a no upside long term contract. Now he signs what appears to be one of the more team friendly extensions in the NBA.

As a Wizards fan I'm very happy of course

(YOU MIGHT BE RIGHT BUT I WILL APPROACH FROM MY VALUES)

Gaff should PRAISE JESUS!!!!

He was an afterthought with the hapless, hopeless Bulls. Now, the Wizards want to hold on to him FOR AS LONG AS THEY CAN. He WISELY tied them up for 4 years BUT he gave himself an out AFTER 2 SEASONS.

He knows what he's worth. The Wizards will tear that deal up on their own if he keeps playing like this.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#186 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:19 am

Rafael122 wrote:$9 million a year for Gaff factoring in the last 2 years of his rookie deal. That's an absolute steal.

The Wizards acquired Gafford 6 months ago in a three-team trade that sent Troy Brown Jr. to the Chicago Bulls and Moritz Wagner to the Boston Celtics.

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2021/10/19/22733951/daniel-gafford-washington-wizards-nba-contract-extension

I think it's reasonable. Months ago, he was a 23-year old nobody. He WILL BE in his prime when this deal is up. Might make 30-40 Mil per year at that time.

For now, it saves the team cap money space for the acquisition of the best FAs. Team player move from a franchise game changer, Gafford.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#187 » by closg00 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:31 pm

19. Daniel Gafford, Washington Wizards

Three years, $40.2 million

I like Gafford's game — have since he was only playing in spurts as a rookie second-round pick for the rebuilding Chicago Bulls in 2019. He is a quality rim-running lob threat and athletic enough to develop into a defender who can hold his own in space. JaVale McGee has also been living in a similar space on minimum contracts for the past six years, so it feels like that $40 million could have been allocated better.

16. Jonas Valanciunas, New Orleans Pelicans

Two years, $30.1 million

Valanciunas is an absolute beast. His teams are always better than you expect them to be, and he has quietly stacked numbers, averaging 19 points and 13 rebounds per 36 minutes for the past eight seasons. He almost hit those marks in 28 minutes per game last season. Only a fractured left hand and left thumb injury have slowed him down for any significant period. He has the track record, so to get him for roughly the same price as Gafford, for a shorter commitment, feels like a fair deal. I still might have waited to see how he performed alongside Zion Williamson before giving him the contract, but that also risks losing him.

15. Robert Williams III, Boston Celtics

Four years, $48 million

Gafford's ceiling is somewhere below Capela, but Williams' might be higher, given the passing ability he has shown in addition to his athleticism as a rim runner and protector. If he can stay healthy, which is a real concern, Williams should exceed the value of this contract. If not, the price is not so steep he is immovable.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-contract-extension-deadline-ranking-all-25-deals-from-worst-to-luka-doncic-144751340.html

Gaff gets three mentions
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#188 » by tontoz » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:02 am

It seems like this has been a disappointing season for gafford so far. He has been foul prone which has limited his minutes, never wins a jump ball and has been consistently overshadowed by Harrell.

But per 36 minutes he is averaging 15/11 with 3 blocks and a 67% TS. That is well below last year's pace but still pretty good.

He is only 23 so there is a good chance for improvement.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 886

Post#189 » by badinage » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:45 am

Hard to rim run when the guards aren’t getting to the cup.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#190 » by FAH1223 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:06 am

tontoz wrote:It seems like this has been a disappointing season for gafford so far. He has been foul prone which has limited his minutes, never wins a jump ball and has been consistently overshadowed by Harrell.

But per 36 minutes he is averaging 15/11 with 3 blocks and a 67% TS. That is well below last year's pace but still pretty good.

He is only 23 so there is a good chance for improvement.

It'd help if we had a starting PG
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#191 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:45 pm

I think Gafford has been pretty much exactly what I expected. It's understandable that his production dropped a bit after moving to the starting lineup and going up against opposing starters.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Daniel Gafford 

Post#192 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:35 pm

Merged the original Gafford thread with the Gafford resigning thread
payitforward
RealGM

Re: Daniel Gafford Thread 

Post#193 » by payitforward » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:44 pm

nate33 wrote:...It's understandable that his production dropped a bit after moving to the starting lineup....

Overall, Gafford's production has dropped more than just a bit.

His TS% is only down a little, but that's on substantially lower usage. But his offensive rebounds & steals are down more significantly. & this definitely does lessen his offensive impact.

Think about it this way: last year for every 1 shot Gaff missed he got the ball back for the team 1.5 times (via offensive boards & steals). This year that's down to about 1. Still good, but not as great as it was.

Yet, the above is not the real problem. Gafford is averaging just under 21.5 minutes per game. That's the problem.

In fact, if @20 minutes is all he can play, & playing against substitutes would return him to last year's productivity level, then the real problem isn't with Gaff -- it's that Bryant is out.

Strikes me that the single most solid piece of information out of this is that Daniel Gafford is not likely to be the long-term solution as starting Center.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#194 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:51 pm

payitforward wrote:Strikes me that the single most solid piece of information out of this is that Daniel Gafford is not likely to be the long-term solution as starting Center.

He just turned 23 and has a grand total of one year's worth of NBA minutes under his belt.

Center is usually a position that takes a long time to learn. Gafford's 3rd season per-minute numbers look very similar to that of Clint Capela and Jarrett Allen at the same stage of development.

Also, his low minute totals had a lot to do with Harrell having a ridiculous start to the season. During Gafford's first 14 games, he averaged just 20.2 minutes per game. Over the last 13 games, now that Harrell has come back down to Earth, Gafford is averaging 23.3 minutes per game. It's going to be hard for him to get more than 24 when we have a "backup center" as productive as Harrell.

Ultimately, I'm assuming we will keep Bryant and have him split minutes with Gafford. With that the case, Gafford won't really need to play much more than 24 minutes a night.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#195 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:02 am

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Strikes me that the single most solid piece of information out of this is that Daniel Gafford is not likely to be the long-term solution as starting Center.

He just turned 23 and has a grand total of one year's worth of NBA minutes under his belt.

Center is usually a position that takes a long time to learn. Gafford's 3rd season per-minute numbers look very similar to that of Clint Capela and Jarrett Allen at the same stage of development.

Also, his low minute totals had a lot to do with Harrell having a ridiculous start to the season. During Gafford's first 14 games, he averaged just 20.2 minutes per game. Over the last 13 games, now that Harrell has come back down to Earth, Gafford is averaging 23.3 minutes per game. It's going to be hard for him to get more than 24 when we have a "backup center" as productive as Harrell.

Ultimately, I'm assuming we will keep Bryant and have him split minutes with Gafford. With that the case, Gafford won't really need to play much more than 24 minutes a night.

Yeah, my conclusion was a little too... conclusive! :)

I have no concern about his numbers -- tho, as I say, the drop from last year is noticeable & at least bears watching. For sure, Daniel Gafford is an outstanding young player. He was someone I wanted in the 2019 draft, but... we've been over that ground more than often enough!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#196 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:03 am

Both Gafford and Kispert would benefit from having a PG that can feed them - one that can feed the post and one that can drive and dish out to the 3 point line.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#197 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:23 pm

No doubt about it. You may be suggesting that part of Gafford's drop in production is a function of Dinwiddie's decline. Good point.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#198 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 8:24 pm

Read on Twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#199 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 8:48 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

A quote in the article states:

In recent weeks, Gafford has cleaned up his fouls. After averaging 2.7 fouls in his first 26 games, Gafford has averaged only 1.9 fouls in his last eight. During that stretch, he had three games with just one foul and one, against the New York Knicks, where he didn't record a single foul.

That actually understates the extent to which Gafford has improved his foul rate. Gafford only played 21.2 minutes a game in those first 26 games, so he was actually committing 4.6 fouls per 36 minutes. Over the last 8 games, Gafford has averaged 27.7 minutes a game, so he has been committing 2.7 fouls per 36 minutes.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#200 » by tontoz » Wed Jan 5, 2022 8:52 pm

^^Yeah that is a pretty big drop to happen so quickly. I noticed it one game looking at the box but didn't notice the pattern.

Very welcome but not surprising. Young guys getting big minutes have a learning curve to go through before they can reach their potential.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards