Bradley Beal - Part IV

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Re: Bradley Beal - Part IV 

Post#741 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:11 pm

payitforward wrote:
AFM wrote:...mostly this has all been blown out of proportion at this point.

I'll say!

I'd be happy to deal Brad if the trade is right -- certainly I'd be pleased w/ the Knicks trade we've just been discussing. But... what Brad has said or done that should be so vexing to people I do not at all understand.

How could you understand? It doesn't have an advanced percentage attached to it.... :P
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#742 » by dlts20 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:34 am

This is the Beal that some of you still prefer. Getting paid the max to take 14 uninterested shots while kuzma chucks and y'all think this is our best opportunity to win.... Smh

Getting the max and not trying to place his will on the game at all while also allowing kuzma to chuck for his max... Smh
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,958

Post#743 » by Frichuela » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:37 am

dlts20 wrote:This is the Beal that some of you still prefer. Getting paid the max to take 14 uninterested shots while kuzma chucks and y'all think this is our best opportunity to win.... Smh

Getting the max and not trying to place his will on the game at all while also allowing kuzma to chuck for his max... Smh

I truly hope he (or his Missus) sees the light and requests a trade by season end…
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#744 » by keynote » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:51 am

Does Beal's no trade clause survive after an initial trade? In other words: if Beal approves an offseason trade to, say, the Celtics, would ould the Cs continue to carry the no trade clause? If so: that would further reduce his value, even to teams who want to acquire him, since they'd have their hands tied as well for the remainder of the contract.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,573

Post#745 » by nate33 » Thu Mar 2, 2023 3:00 am

Bradley Beal ranks 6th in the league in clutch USG% (among guys with more than 10 clutch appearances). And among the top 50 guys in USG, Beal ranks 1st in TS% by a country mile. His TS is an unbelievable 81.0%. The next highest guy is Jrue Holiday at 70.3%. Jokic is next at 67.5%. Paul George is next at 65.1%. Most guys are in the 50’s.

Beal is also averaging a very good 11.5 FTA/36 in the clutch and shooting 91.5% from the line.

The only knock on Beal’s clutch performance is the turnovers. But the turnover average is coming down. After initially averaging over 7 turnovers per 36 clutch minutes, he has pulled that average down to 5.7. That’s still among the highest turnover rates for high volume guys, but it no longer is a ridiculous outlier. For comparison, Giannis averaged 5.3 turnovers/36, Paul George 4.7, Harden 4.7 and Garland 3.9, Poole 3.7, Tatum 3.6, Curry and Ja 3.5.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,006

Post#746 » by DCZards » Thu Mar 2, 2023 5:00 am

nate33 wrote:Bradley Beal ranks 6th in the league in clutch USG% (among guys with more than 10 clutch appearances). And among the top 50 guys in USG, Beal ranks 1st in TS% by a country mile. His TS is an unbelievable 81.0%. The next highest guy is Jrue Holiday at 70.3%. Jokic is next at 67.5%. Paul George is next at 65.1%. Most guys are in the 50’s.

Beal is also averaging a very good 11.5 FTA/36 in the clutch and shooting 91.5% from the line.

The only knock on Beal’s clutch performance is the turnovers. But the turnover average is coming down. After initially averaging over 7 turnovers per 36 clutch minutes, he has pulled that average down to 5.7. That’s still among the highest turnover rates for high volume guys, but it no longer is a ridiculous outlier. For comparison, Giannis averaged 5.3 turnovers/36, Paul George 4.7, Harden 4.7 and Garland 3.9, Poole 3.7, Tatum 3.6, Curry and Ja 3.5.

Damn! BB is having a hell of a season. Numbers like that make me proud to be labeled a Beal “apologist.” :D
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,585

Post#747 » by pcbothwel » Thu Mar 2, 2023 4:54 pm

And this is why Im turning on Tommy.
You give a good GM Beal, Porzingis, and 4 straight top 15 picks and I bet they come up with a 6th seed team at least once.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant

Post#748 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Mar 2, 2023 4:57 pm

DCZards wrote:
nate33 wrote:Bradley Beal ranks 6th in the league in clutch USG% (among guys with more than 10 clutch appearances). And among the top 50 guys in USG, Beal ranks 1st in TS% by a country mile. His TS is an unbelievable 81.0%. The next highest guy is Jrue Holiday at 70.3%. Jokic is next at 67.5%. Paul George is next at 65.1%. Most guys are in the 50’s.

Damn! BB is having a hell of a season. Numbers like that make me proud to be labeled a Beal “apologist.” :D

Yeah having a hell of a season if you ignore availability, defense, and consistency (let's not even factor in contract and other antics). I'll be the first to praise Beal when he plays well, issue is the Beal that showed up against ATL is not the Beal we see even on most nights. And yes, without a doubt he's been much more efficient this season compared to recent seasons, maybe his most efficient season ever. Also as noted by Nate, he is still a TO machine in the clutch, despite coming down from being an ugly outlier.

So "hell of a season" is quite the stretch, especially other factors considered. One can argue he's not a top 30/35 player this season or even the best player on the team, that for the $250M Dollar Man can never equate to a "hell of a season."
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,006

Post#749 » by DCZards » Thu Mar 2, 2023 5:33 pm

Took the bait didn't you CntOutSmrtCrazy. :D
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#750 » by nate33 » Thu Mar 2, 2023 5:47 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:Yeah having a hell of a season if you ignore availability, defense, and consistency."

Beal has been extremely consistent for a guard who relies on jumpers.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,585

Post#751 » by pcbothwel » Thu Mar 2, 2023 7:17 pm

nate33 wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:Yeah having a hell of a season if you ignore availability, defense, and consistency."

Im so tired of this "Beal is an atrocious defender" narrative. Are their times that he should be better... no doubt. But Context matters.
Look at all the of the lead guards in the league with usage at or above Beals (28%).
Beal is the same tier of defender as Booker, Fox, Curry, Lillard, or Morant.
And he is certainly better than Trae, Jalen Green, and Poole.

Comparing him to the overall league average or low usage POA defenders like Bev, Derrick White, Jrue, Delon, Caruso, Smart, etc. really distorts his ability among his peers.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,361

Post#752 » by Kanyewest » Thu Mar 2, 2023 8:19 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Im so tired of this "Beal is an atrocious defender" narrative. Are their times that he should be better... no doubt. But Context matters.
Look at all the of the lead guards in the league with usage at or above Beals (28%).
Beal is the same tier of defender as Booker, Fox, Curry, Lillard, or Morant.
And he is certainly better than Trae, Jalen Green, and Poole.

Comparing him to the overall league average or low usage POA defenders like Bev, Derrick White, Jrue, Delon, Caruso, Smart, etc. really distorts his ability among his peers.

Lillard probably in the lower tier - his effort is pretty bad and his lack of size.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,361

Post#753 » by Kanyewest » Thu Mar 2, 2023 8:41 pm

It's interesting that Beal is considered not that good among NBA experts. For instance on the ringer's top 100 list, Devin Booker is considered the 11th best player in the league and that Beal is considered the 54th best player in the league (last updated February 18). And yes Beal has been injury prone but he's still played more games than Booker. Not saying that Beal is better than Booker, I'm just don't think the gap between the two is that large.

The availability probably downgrades him as being considered a top player. Although the positive with Beal is that he's starting to knock down his 3 point shot at 37% which IIRC Beal was shooting worse from 3 than Westbrook. It looks like Beal is starting to become a more consistent 3 point shooter. The addition of Porzingis and guys like Morris/Wright probably help create more spacing for Beal.

Now, the next step is for Beal to put together a good stretch of games in a row - he put up relative duds in the games against New York and Chicago than Atlanta- maybe because those teams had much better defenders to throw at him. But Beal is capable of filling it up against good defensive teams like the Timberwolves.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant

Post#754 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Mar 2, 2023 9:22 pm

nate33 wrote:

Except his 4-5 season hiatus on three point shooting. Great that he's back to shooting at a respectable clip from three, but that doesn't scream extremely consistent. Consistently bad for a two guard I guess.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,937

Post#755 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 2, 2023 9:55 pm

Kanyewest wrote:It's interesting that Beal is considered not that good among NBA experts. For instance on the ringer's top 100 list, Devin Booker is considered the 11th best player in the league and that Beal is considered the 54th best player in the league (last updated February 18). And yes Beal has been injury prone but he's still played more games than Booker. Not saying that Beal is better than Booker, I'm just don't think the gap between the two is that large....

The idea that Booker is the 11th best player in the league (based either on this year or his career) is completely laughable.

Just to name, off the top of my head, 20 guys better than Mitchell this season: Steph, Jimmy Butler, Haliburton, Harden, SG-A, Kawhi, Lillard, Giannis, Markkanen, Aaron Gordon, Anthony Davis, Sabonis, Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert, Zion, Brogdon, KD, Jrue Holiday, Desmond Bane, Jarrett Allen, Jayson Tatum, Kenyon Martin, Jr. Jalen Brunson, Draymond, Darius Garland, Joel Embiid, Julius Randle, Kyrie, Isaiah Joe, ... wait, that's at least 30, & I could certainly continue.

No, it's actually only 28. So why not add the MVP, Nikola Jokic.
Oh, & a rookie, Walker Kessler -- who is having a season that puts him among the... I don't know... maybe 15-20 top-performing players in the league. Don't know that it'll continue of course, but give a guy credit for what he does....

I only counted guys who've played 1000+ minutes, btw.

& if we're talking career, rather than just this year, I guess I should mention LeBron, huh?

Beal & Booker are the prototype for the kind of player who is always over-rated. I.e. guys who score a lot of points on jump shots. Neither is even in the conversation for the top 30 or so players in the game.

That said, both this year & on their careers, Beal has been a better player than Booker -- tho there have been a couple of years when Booker's numbers were better than Beal's.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,174

Post#756 » by Dat2U » Fri Mar 3, 2023 7:34 pm

payitforward wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:It's interesting that Beal is considered not that good among NBA experts. For instance on the ringer's top 100 list, Devin Booker is considered the 11th best player in the league and that Beal is considered the 54th best player in the league (last updated February 18). And yes Beal has been injury prone but he's still played more games than Booker. Not saying that Beal is better than Booker, I'm just don't think the gap between the two is that large....

The idea that Booker is the 11th best player in the league (based either on this year or his career) is completely laughable.

Just to name, off the top of my head, 20 guys better than Mitchell this season: Steph, Jimmy Butler, Haliburton, Harden, SG-A, Kawhi, Lillard, Giannis, Markkanen, Aaron Gordon, Anthony Davis, Sabonis, Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert, Zion, Brogdon, KD, Jrue Holiday, Desmond Bane, Jarrett Allen, Jayson Tatum, Kenyon Martin, Jr. Jalen Brunson, Draymond, Darius Garland, Joel Embiid, Julius Randle, Kyrie, Isaiah Joe, ... wait, that's at least 30, & I could certainly continue.

Oh, & a rookie, Walker Kessler -- who is having a season that puts him among the... I don't know... maybe 15-20 top-performing players in the league. Don't know that it'll continue of course, but give a guy credit for what he does....

& if we're talking career, rather than just this year, I guess I should mention LeBron, huh?

Beal & Booker are the prototype for the kind of player who is always over-rated. I.e. guys who score a lot of points on jump shots. Neither is even in the conversation for the top 30 or so players in the game.

That said, both this year & on their careers, Beal has been a better player than Booker -- tho there have been a couple of years when Booker's numbers were better than Beal's.

Gobert? Martin Jr? Isaiah Joe? Is any consideration AT ALL given to minutes played and usage? Do you realize low usage players are generally (not always) a burden offensively because they require their on-floor teammates to create shots those low usage guys you love so much are unable to create themselves?

Now if you wanted a separate ranking for role players vs guys who carry the offensive load for their teams, that would make some sense but to compare a rim runner/lob threat or a 3&D wing to a high volume shot creator is a silly exercise.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#757 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 3, 2023 7:39 pm

Dat2U wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Gobert? Martin Jr? Isaiah Joe? Is any consideration AT ALL given to minutes played and usage? Do you realize low usage players are generally (not always) a burden offensively because they require their on-floor teammates to create shots those low usage guys you love so much are unable to create themselves?

Now if you wanted a separate ranking for role players vs guys who carry the offensive load for their teams, that would make some sense but to compare a rim runner/lob threat or a 3&D wing to a high volume shot creator is a silly exercise.

Don't bother, Dat2U. It's like talking to a brick wall.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,958

Post#758 » by Frichuela » Fri Mar 3, 2023 7:53 pm

Kanyewest wrote:It's interesting that Beal is considered not that good among NBA experts. For instance on the ringer's top 100 list, Devin Booker is considered the 11th best player in the league and that Beal is considered the 54th best player in the league (last updated February 18). And yes Beal has been injury prone but he's still played more games than Booker. Not saying that Beal is better than Booker, I'm just don't think the gap between the two is that large.

The availability probably downgrades him as being considered a top player. Although the positive with Beal is that he's starting to knock down his 3 point shot at 37% which IIRC Beal was shooting worse from 3 than Westbrook. It looks like Beal is starting to become a more consistent 3 point shooter. The addition of Porzingis and guys like Morris/Wright probably help create more spacing for Beal.

Now, the next step is for Beal to put together a good stretch of games in a row - he put up relative duds in the games against New York and Chicago than Atlanta- maybe because those teams had much better defenders to throw at him. But Beal is capable of filling it up against good defensive teams like the Timberwolves.

This Ringer list is utter garbage. For instance, freaking Alex Caruso and Kevon Looney are in the list and ahead of Derrick White and Cam Johnson :lol:

And yes, Beal is better than the 54th player in the league. With all his faults I rather have Brad in my team than any of these guys ahead of him in this garbage of a list: Jerami Grant, Aron Gordon, Andrew Wiggins, Lamelo Ball, Desmond Bane, Jaren Jackson, DeRozen or Randle. Is Beal worth the super max? Hell no, but he is worth more than any single dude in this group.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#759 » by Halcyon » Sat Mar 4, 2023 5:04 pm

All those rankings are narrative driven. Pretty sure none of those writers watch any Wizards games.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,174

Post#760 » by Dat2U » Sat Mar 4, 2023 5:57 pm

In my ideal rankings, you've got to at least be in the 70% percentile of usage to be considered an elite player, meaning no worse than a 3rd option. If you can't create shots, then how can you be considered elite? Going 3 for 4 in 30 minutes is not elite, its efficient but is also putting pressure on teammates to create what you can't and in turn lowers their efficiency.

I did not consider injuries but instead really focused heavily on production, usage, efficiency & impact on both sides of the ball when making this list.

1. PG Stephen Curry
2. PG Luka Doncic
3. C Joel Embiid
4. C Nikola Jokic
5. PF Kevin Durant
6. PF LeBron James
7. PF Giannis Antetokounmpo
8. PG Damian Lillard
9. PF Jayson Tatum
10. SF Kawhi Leonard
11. SF Jimmy Butler
12. SG Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
13. SG Donovan Mitchell
14. C Anthony Davis
15. PF Zion Williamson
16. PG James Harden
17. PG Tyrese Haliburton
18. PF Jaren Jackson Jr
19. PG Kyrie Irving
20. PG Ja Morant
21. SG Devin Booker
22. SF Paul George
23. PG Darius Garland
24. PG Jrue Holiday
25. PF Lauri Markkanen
26. C Kristaps Porzingis
27. PF Julius Randle
28. SG Desmond Bane
29. PG Trae Young
30. C Domantas Sabonis
31. SG Bradley Beal
32. PF Pascal Siakam
33. SF DeMar DeRozan
34. SF Jaylen Brown
35. PG De'Aaron Fox
36. PF Aaron Gordon
37. SG Zach LaVine
38. PG Jalen Brunson
39. SG Anthony Edwards
40. SF Franz Wagner
41. C Bam Adebayo
42. SF O.G. Anunoby
43. PG LaMelo Ball
44. PG Fred VanVleet
45. SF Brandon Ingram
46. PG Chris Paul
47. PF Karl Anthony Towns
48. SF Cameron Johnson
49. C Myles Turner
50. PG Jamal Murray

And here's a separate list of the top 10 low usage role players in the league.

1. C Jarrett Allen
2. C Nic Claxton
3. SG Derrick White
4. C Mitchell Robinson
5. C Brook Lopez
6. C Steven Adams
7. C Walker Kessler
8. SG Isaiah Joe
9. PG Delon Wright
10. SG Alex Caruso

Return to Washington Wizards