nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,576

Re: Official Trade Thread Part XLV 

Post#1941 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:28 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
TGW wrote:Can we get Isaac and a first?

I think Orlando would rather eek out any minutes Isaac could play in Playoffs and then cut him in the offseason for no cap hit vs trade him.

I agree.

There isn't much value for us to acquire Isaac anyhow. If we want him, we can try and sign him as a free agent in the offseason (assuming Orlando waives him). There's no need for us to deprive him from your roster over the remainder of the season. It's not like we care about winning games this year.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,756

Post#1942 » by penbeast0 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:38 pm

And Fultz is a good salary match. We will need a warm body at the position other than (hopefully) Jared Butler and he's both expiring and has good enough size to play next to a smaller SG if we want to resign him.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,950

Post#1943 » by TGW » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:14 pm

Looks like the Knicks and Wizards had some talks on Gafford according to hoophype. Gaff isn’t untouchable it I wouldn’t trade him for less than a pick in the teens.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,739

Post#1944 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:17 am

TGW wrote:Looks like the Knicks and Wizards had some talks on Gafford according to hoophype. Gaff isn’t untouchable it I wouldn’t trade him for less than a pick in the teens.
Our pick back and 3 seconds id probably take but who's the player coming back.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,959

Post#1945 » by Frichuela » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:41 am

gambitx777 wrote:
TGW wrote:Looks like the Knicks and Wizards had some talks on Gafford according to hoophype. Gaff isn’t untouchable it I wouldn’t trade him for less than a pick in the teens.

I presume we would be getting Sims in the trade since we would need a center…or maybe is a swap with Mitchell Robinson where they give us our pick back as compensation for his injury…
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,959

Post#1946 » by Frichuela » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:47 am

Although I would personally would not be keen on trading Gafford unless is for a top 15 pick. I rather keep him otherwise.
penbeast0
And1: 8,756

Post#1947 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:38 pm

gambitx777 wrote:

We've been accumulating 2nds, we'll be using some on stashes as it is. I don't think we can afford to send Gafford, our only big man, away for 2nds without some real value returning.

Mitch Robinson and our heavily protected 1st? Sure, I'd make that deal.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1948 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:46 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:

We've been accumulating 2nds, we'll be using some on stashes as it is. I don't think we can afford to send Gafford, our only big man, away for 2nds without some real value returning.

Agreed. We are past the point where teams can just toss us a bunch of middling 2RP's and get back actual rotation caliber NBA players.

Gafford isn't untouchable, but he's one of the 4 players on this team that would reliably play 20+ minutes a night on a contending team's rotation. If we move him, we need back picks or players good enough to replace him.

I think trading him for Robinson makes some sense.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#1949 » by WallToWall » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:47 pm

Rumor:
Bagley + Livers + 2 seconds FOR Muscalla + Gallinari

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=6CVL2FqokLq9crFyKe2QSg
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1950 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:49 pm

WallToWall wrote:Rumor:

Read on Twitter

Well if it's WOJ, I'd characterize it as more than just a rumor.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#1951 » by WallToWall » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:05 pm

nate33 wrote:

Read on Twitter

…till the fat lady sings…

The 2 seconds are about what we could expect for Muscalla and Gallinari.
I’ve always wanted to see if Bagley could work as a backup C/PF for us, so this would be a good experiment.
Good value for Muscalla and Gallinari. Nice work by the front office, once this is finalized.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,938

Post#1952 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:15 pm

I like Daniel Gafford. I wanted to figure out how to get him in R2 of the '19 draft, & I was extremely happy when we traded for him.

But he isn't as good a player as Mitchell Robinson.

Based on the two guys' careers so far, I don't see why the Knicks would give us Robinson in return for Gafford -- not to mention Robinson plus something else.

OTOH, Robinson is injured, which obviously makes trading for him at least something of a gamble.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,950

Post#1953 » by TGW » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:50 pm

nate33 wrote:

Read on Twitter

That’s an excellent return.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1954 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:55 pm

nate33 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Ditto.

IMO, the upside for us is the draft capital.

Bagley has been awful his whole career.

Livers was pretty good as a rookie, worse his 2d year, & has been even worse so far this year. He took @64 3pas as a rookie -- at 42%. But, he seems to have lost the ability to shoot the 3. He also turned 25 last July. Hard to imagine much upside....

OTOH, of course, we're not giving up anything.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1955 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:58 pm

TGW wrote:That’s an excellent return.

Agreed.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,586

Post#1956 » by pcbothwel » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:22 pm

TGW wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Read on Twitter

That’s an excellent return.

Ehhh. The ~35th pick in the 2025 draft for 12.5M is not an excellent return, but it’s fair.
I think they (Dawkins) needed a backup big to eat minutes to assist with a gafford trade at the deadline or the summer. Seems like plenty more moves to come. Exciting.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1957 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:49 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:

You don't have to draft and stash you can use them as currency. You can use seconds to send to cap strapped play off teams for late firsts on draft day. Especially with the new cap rules. Getting 2-3 players in the mid second round at the cost of one around 20-27 is gonna be popular in the coming years.

payitforward
RealGM

Post#1958 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:30 am

That's an interesting idea, Gamby -- gonna watch out for that trend....
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1959 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:23 am

payitforward wrote:That's an interesting idea, Gamby -- gonna watch out for that trend....
It's just something I've been thinking about teams with three big deals or 2 big deals and some heavy middle level deals are gonna have trouble filling out their teams and they will have to choose between min contract guys or trying to take flyers in second round picks they can use to spread out an already thin cap sheet. Minimum for a first year players is in a be 1.1 mill next year. The 30th pick makes 2.01. lots of ways to stretch that out. So the rockets have 3 seconds or lets say a team gets a couple seconds rounders. Trades them to say the bucks, heat or suns.
The cap strapped team can sign all 3 too 2 ways or just one or two and one 2 way or draft and stashes in the combo. To save money and fill out a team and try and inject youth into their aging and expensive teams.

The other team with too many picks get to consolidate pick and try to get a better talent.

It's a potential win win.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1960 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:26 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
payitforward wrote:That's an interesting idea, Gamby -- gonna watch out for that trend....
It's just something I've been thinking about teams with three big deals or 2 big deals and some heavy middle level deals are gonna have trouble filling out their teams and they will have to choose between min contract guys or trying to take flyers in second round picks they can use to spread out an already thin cap sheet. Minimum for a first year players is in a be 1.1 mill next year. The 30th pick makes 2.01. lots of ways to stretch that out. So the rockets have 3 seconds or lets say a team gets a couple seconds rounders. Trades them to say the bucks, heat or suns.
The cap strapped team can sign all 3 too 2 ways or just one or two and one 2 way or draft and stashes in the combo. To save money and fill out a team and try and inject youth into their aging and expensive teams.

The other team with too many picks get to consolidate pick and try to get a better talent.

It's a potential win win.

Yeah, Denver has already applied this strategy by trading their FRP to OKC for three SRP's.

Return to Washington Wizards