dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,342

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXXII 

Post#1541 » by dobrojim » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:16 pm

^ to your point

Dana Milbank from this past Sunday's print edition

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/04/12/trump-jesus-mandela-lincoln/

As Post Fact Checker Glenn Kessler and pollsters Scott Clement and Emily Guskin report, Trump’s supporters have become substantially more persuaded by disinformation than they were six years ago. They are more likely to say today that the 2016 election was marred by millions of fraudulent votes and that Russia did not interfere in that election — both demonstrably untrue. A majority of strong Trump supporters today believe his provably false assertions that Joe Biden won the 2020 election because of fraud, that the United States funds most of NATO’s budget and that global temperatures are rising because of natural, not human, causes. Though only 28 percent of Americans believe Trump’s false claims on average, those who list Fox News as a primary news source are 13 percentage points more likely to accept the disinformation as true.

And Fox News is a paragon of journalistic integrity compared with the darker corners of the MAGA media landscape. Listening to Trump’s 10-minute interview with Real America’s Voice, I realized the host, Wayne Root — who was having his fifteenth interview with Trump — sounded even more bonkers than his subject, which is saying something.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1542 » by dobrojim » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:30 pm

love Eddie Glaude

brilliant

https://www.pbs.org/video/eddie-glaude-jr-to-save-democracy-americans-have-to-become-better-people-dagx1h/

With trust in leadership failing and democratic institutions faltering around the world, New York Times bestselling author Eddie Glaude Jr. joins the show to discuss his new book, how all Americans can be leaders and what we might learn from history.

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,389

Post#1543 » by doclinkin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:29 pm

verbal8 wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:He fell asleep AGAIN

I could see this hurting him more electorally than getting convicted. Obvious examples of failing and weakness are things that could tame the enthusiasm of his rabid base.

Although I think his biggest problem is he is running more for money than votes/getting elected.

I think at this point he is running for only two reasons:

1). To pardon himself when he is inevitably convicted of any or all of his crimes.
2). To enact revenge on his enemies and perceived enemies. To do to others what he has tricked himself into believing has been done to him. To live out his belief that while he is in office he cannot be convicted for any crime up to and including assassination of his political enemies. Even to do unto others before they do unto him, to attack those who might in the future prosecute him for the crimes, so that they will be unable to do so. Preemptive strike against the rule of law.

Otherwise I think he would have been able to slink away into irrelevance and claim sour grapes that politics is a rigged game and everyone was out to get him. And that he had a perfect presidency but flawed people just don't like perfection, so they hate him. If it weren't for the threat of his own incarceration I think he would have retreated to his gold toilets and simply tried to sell ugly sneakers etc.

That said once in office he will happily trade away intelligence secrets etc to profit himself and buy down the unimaginable debts his own malfeasance has shackled him with.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,190

Post#1544 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 pm

oh he was always going to run again.

you know in the movies when the evil fascist presidential candidate's true plans are revealed everybody gasps in shock and he slinks away in shame. that's not how america works irl
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,633

Post#1545 » by pancakes3 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:56 pm

i agree with zonk.

he made more money, and more consistently when he was doing the Apprentice and his real estate business became an afterthought. you could see it by the way he stopped trying to actually develop projects (apart from golf courses, which are his only successful RE endeavors) and leaned almost entire into licensing and not actually owning/operating.

he found a similarly lucrative income stream through politics, and he was never going to slink away back to collecting licensing checks for pennies on the dollar, especially after he tanked his brand by being an inconceivably awful president.

selling NFTs, bibles, and sneakers are nickels and dimes compared to political donations and he needs all the cash he can get, especially with the mounting legal fees.

also, he had to have known, even surrounded by sycophants, that these lawsuits were coming. E Jean Carroll and Stormy Daniels were waiting in the wings during his presidency. Trump Foundation already fell. The election tampering leading up to the election was always going to have legal repercussions. And then January 6. Not even Trump was so deluded to think that he was going to be litigation-free post-presidency. It's why he put up such a fight leading up to it. He knew he was going to lose, he knew he was going to be in for a reckoning, and he was desperate to cling to immunity. Then the classified documents was an own goal.
Bullets -> Wizards
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1546 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:08 pm

it's why he was willing to burn down Congress on Jan 6, he knew he was in a lot of legal jeopardy, he had bet the farm that he was going to win the election and be able to pardon himself.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1547 » by dobrojim » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:34 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/04/18/npr-russia-coverage-berliner/

The essay triggered a bona fide media drama that concluded on Wednesday with Berliner’s resignation. On his way out, he delivered a parting shot at CEO Katherine Maher. “I cannot work in a newsroom where I am disparaged by a new C.E.O. whose divisive views confirm the very problems at NPR I cite in my Free Press essay,” Berliner wrote on X.

Just what had Maher done to deserve such a diss? She had published a statement pushing back against Berliner’s essay: “Questioning whether our people are serving our mission with integrity, based on little more than the recognition of their identity, is profoundly disrespectful, hurtful, and demeaning.” As NPR’s own David Folkenflik reported, Berliner took exception to that commentary.

....(lengthy analysis of NPR coverage which Berliner took issue with)

Wemple's conclusion

With his tendentious claims, however, Berliner doesn’t merely overstep the paltry evidence in his piece. He positions his now-former workplace as a hive of ideologues driven by political outcomes instead of the facts — basically a left-wing analogue to Fox News. That salvo appeared to diminish his appeal as a newsroom collaborator.

NPR, as it turns out, is an analogue to nothing — a sui generis outlet driven by old-fashioned journo-principles, an aversion to offending anyone and a steady propensity to annoy listeners. Surely, it has many things to apologize for, though an on-air campaign to oust a president isn’t among them.

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1548 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:50 pm

dobrojim wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/04/18/npr-russia-coverage-berliner/

The essay triggered a bona fide media drama that concluded on Wednesday with Berliner’s resignation. On his way out, he delivered a parting shot at CEO Katherine Maher. “I cannot work in a newsroom where I am disparaged by a new C.E.O. whose divisive views confirm the very problems at NPR I cite in my Free Press essay,” Berliner wrote on X.

Just what had Maher done to deserve such a diss? She had published a statement pushing back against Berliner’s essay: “Questioning whether our people are serving our mission with integrity, based on little more than the recognition of their identity, is profoundly disrespectful, hurtful, and demeaning.” As NPR’s own David Folkenflik reported, Berliner took exception to that commentary.

....(lengthy analysis of NPR coverage which Berliner took issue with)

Wemple's conclusion

With his tendentious claims, however, Berliner doesn’t merely overstep the paltry evidence in his piece. He positions his now-former workplace as a hive of ideologues driven by political outcomes instead of the facts — basically a left-wing analogue to Fox News. That salvo appeared to diminish his appeal as a newsroom collaborator.

NPR, as it turns out, is an analogue to nothing — a sui generis outlet driven by old-fashioned journo-principles, an aversion to offending anyone and a steady propensity to annoy listeners. Surely, it has many things to apologize for, though an on-air campaign to oust a president isn’t among them.

Obvious to anyone who regularly listens to NPR and read Berliner's editorial. 100% sellout to the far right, complete garbage. Not that NPR is above reproach but if anything NPR tries too hard not to offend the right wing and ends up platforming and amplifying their lies.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1549 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:09 pm

If you want to criticize NPR, this would be a much more accurate take: Filled to the gills with educated white liberals who are blind to their own casual racism and sexism, unable to change because of an insanely incestuous office culture, paralyzed by an intense need not to offend anybody, increasingly vulnerable to intentional manipulation of this tendency by the right.

https://slate.com/business/2024/04/npr-diversity-public-broadcasting-radio.html
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1550 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:52 pm

Trump fell asleep again today and was allegedly passing gas that made his lawyers visibly uncomfortable

no way to verify it's true but hardyhar
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1551 » by dobrojim » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:18 pm

Some apparently far off the deep end conspiracy person set themselves on fire outside
the courthouse today. The reporting I heard didn't indicate whether they died as a result.
They (he) left a bunch of pamphlets about some of the wilder theories out there.
WaPo says the person is in critical condition. Bizarre and disturbing footnote
but no discernible connection to the trial really.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2024/04/19/man-sets-himself-fire-near-trump-trial/

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1552 » by dobrojim » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:06 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/04/23/trump-losing-courtroom-campaign-bragg-trial/

In the run-up to the Manhattan criminal trial, the coverage again suggested Trump was going to steal the spotlight. (From the headline writers at the New York Times: “Trump and his lawyers realize his chances in the courtroom are dicey. He intends to make whatever happens a political triumph.”) Cable TV panelists oohed and aahed over Trump’s ability to manipulate the courts to enhance his image.

How wrong they were. When the criminal trial actually began, reality hit home. Rather than dominate the proceedings or leverage his court appearance to appear in control and demonstrate no court could corral him, Trump day by day has become smaller, more decrepit and, frankly, somewhat pathetic.

The comments to this column (towards Golfy) are scathing not that I am surprised by that. That said, there is about as
much presence of his supporters in those comments as there have been outside the Manhattan courthouse.
Zero. None.

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1553 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:38 pm

dobrojim wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/04/23/trump-losing-courtroom-campaign-bragg-trial/

In the run-up to the Manhattan criminal trial, the coverage again suggested Trump was going to steal the spotlight. (From the headline writers at the New York Times: “Trump and his lawyers realize his chances in the courtroom are dicey. He intends to make whatever happens a political triumph.”) Cable TV panelists oohed and aahed over Trump’s ability to manipulate the courts to enhance his image.

How wrong they were. When the criminal trial actually began, reality hit home. Rather than dominate the proceedings or leverage his court appearance to appear in control and demonstrate no court could corral him, Trump day by day has become smaller, more decrepit and, frankly, somewhat pathetic.

The comments to this column (towards Golfy) are scathing not that I am surprised by that. That said, there is about as
much presence of his supporters in those comments as there have been outside the Manhattan courthouse.
Zero. None.

They're making a big deal out of this but I don't see why it matters. Will be interesting to see if his polls sag because he's not out in the field whipping them into a frenzy. He's got the entire right wing propaganda machine churning for him non stop so I anticipate his inability to campaign will be a minor problem, particularly if the trial wraps up months before the elections. Even if he's convicted I'm sure the propaganda folks will be able to spin it like they did the Mueller report.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,072

Post#1554 » by dckingsfan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
dobrojim wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/04/23/trump-losing-courtroom-campaign-bragg-trial/

Zero. None.

They're making a big deal out of this but I don't see why it matters. Will be interesting to see if his polls sag because he's not out in the field whipping them into a frenzy. He's got the entire right wing & Russian propaganda machine churning for him non stop so I anticipate his inability to campaign will be a minor problem, particularly if the trial wraps up months before the elections. Even if he's convicted I'm sure the propaganda folks will be able to spin it like they did the Mueller report.

Just helping...
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,633

Post#1555 » by pancakes3 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:52 pm

haley grabbed like 15% of the PA primary yesterday despite having dropped out more than a month ago.

but it has nothing to do with campaigning. no amount of campaigning can help. people are just sick and tired of him. same reason hilary lost in 2016. it's not because she didn't campaign hard enough. you can't just get out there shake hands, and guarantee votes. it's about your intrinsic personality, likeability, and magnetism. fewer people like trump in 2024 than they did in 2016. them's the breaks.
Bullets -> Wizards
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,389

Post#1556 » by doclinkin » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:10 pm

Zero. None.

What's funny is Fox news talking about how they are torturing this poor old man by making him sit in a court room for 8 hours a few days a week. Because he's used to being out golfing and getting sunshine. He needs his walkies.

And this is the guy they want to serve as president? Pretty sure that job requires more than a few days work per week.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1557 » by dobrojim » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:46 am

Haley got 170k votes in the _closed_ PA GOP primary yesterday

IOW, that was 100% from registered Republicans.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1558 » by dobrojim » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:55 am

AZ AG files charges against 11 in 2020 fake electors scheme. Some familiar
names are among the charged.

verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#1559 » by verbal8 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:17 am

doclinkin wrote:

Zero. None.

What's funny is Fox news talking about how they are torturing this poor old man by making him sit in a court room for 8 hours a few days a week. Because he's used to being out golfing and getting sunshine. He needs his walkies.

And this is the guy they want to serve as president? Pretty sure that job requires more than a few days work per week.

..the GOP is the party of bad government
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1560 » by Zonkerbl » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:44 am

Return to Washington Wizards