ImageImageImageImageImage

The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,633

Re: The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking! 

Post#1501 » by pancakes3 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:59 pm

in the spirit of nitpicking, it's not great that Harper was just floating around the logo when the first shot went up, and stayed there until he got the offensive rebound kickout.
Bullets -> Wizards
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#1502 » by popper » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:17 pm

We need to get better defensively and a big part of that is rim protection. Which potential pick gives us the greatest lift on that side of the court? I wouldn't be surprised if Clingan is the pick.
popper
Veteran

Post#1503 » by popper » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:20 pm

Double post
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#1504 » by Frichuela » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:24 pm

popper wrote:Double post

This, I could see Clingan being the pick, especially if we drop to 5th and 6th in the lottery.

There is an obvious lack of surefire top talent in this draft. As a result, I could see our FO focusing on addressing a need for a defensive center and hope and pray for a top 3 pick in 2025 to select our star/number 1 option of the future.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,377

Post#1505 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:27 pm

popper wrote:We need to get better defensively and a big part of that is rim protection. Which potential pick gives us the greatest lift on that side of the court? I wouldn't be surprised if Clingan is the pick.

There are other ways to acquire rim protection than to spend our top 5 pick on a center with no offensive game.

Besides, I'm not so sure we want rim protection just yet. We need to tank one more season and refraining from protecting the rim is a good way to tank.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#1506 » by Frichuela » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:31 pm

Moreover, and after listening to the Winger/Dawkins press conference, the comment on the possibility of maybe having a 3rd 1st rounder in this draft caught my attention. Perhaps, they are contemplating dangling Kuzma to Memphis, Utah or Atlanta for a 8-11th pick...
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,329

Post#1507 » by NatP4 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:48 pm

Topic had 8 points in 16 minutes, made a couple of 3s in his return to the ABA playoffs today.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 379

Post#1508 » by Benjammin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:51 pm

nate33 wrote:
popper wrote:We need to get better defensively and a big part of that is rim protection. Which potential pick gives us the greatest lift on that side of the court? I wouldn't be surprised if Clingan is the pick.

There are other ways to acquire rim protection than to spend our top 5 pick on a center with no offensive game.

Besides, I'm not so sure we want rim protection just yet. We need to tank one more season and refraining from protecting the rim is a good way to tank.

Clingan appears to be a good passer and has a pretty good feel for the game given his experience. I can see him continuing to develop.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1509 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:21 pm

Benjammin wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Clingan appears to be a good passer and has a pretty good feel for the game given his experience. I can see him continuing to develop.

I'm 100% sure that they're not going to draft him specifically to address our need for rim protection. We are a long way away from worrying about fit at this point. We have just 2 players on the roster that are highly likely to be on the roster 4 years from now. They're the only ones we need to even factor when accounting for fit. What we need is talent. Clingan will be drafted only if they consider him the best remaining talent on the board. I suppose that's possible, but probably not very likely.
popper
Veteran

Post#1510 » by popper » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:28 pm

nate33 wrote:

I knew you were going to say that :D IOW the tank takes precedent. I understand. Watching Zubac's affect on yesterday's game is a good taste of what Clingan would likely provide. But as you suspect, we'd probably win more games. Premature improvement no doubt.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,111

Post#1511 » by Dat2U » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:53 pm

nate33 wrote:

Yeah that's the pick I'd hate. Clingan in the top 6. A strictly drop coverage big with little offensive skill. Look, Walker Kessler was a great pick at 20 2 years ago. Had a great rookie year in limited minutes. One of the few positive impact rookies. Then look at year 2, he improved but it was very modest improvement. There's a clear ceiling to these types. I don't think Clingan is much different than Kessler. At 20 (or even 15), I'd love Clingan and the value he could provide. Top 6 it makes no sense.

If I'm drafting a C top 6 its gotta a switchable big like Sarr or a freak like Wemby. The draft is deep in wings & on-the-ball guards - that's where my focus lies drafting top 6. Get a wing or PG.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1512 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:29 pm

Impressive footage from Topic in his first game back:

Read on Twitter
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1513 » by NatP4 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:03 am

Think Topic is far and away the top pick in the draft. He's about solidify #2. Probably can't jump Sarr because he's not 7'1.

SAS and maybe Toronto are the only top 6 teams that would have interest I think.

Worst case scenario is dropping to 6 and the top 5 goes: Sarr, Topic(SAS), Castle/Sheppard, Risacher, Castle/Sheppard. Sheppard would've been my #2. Keep it simple and take Clingan at 6 at that point.

There's a handful of potential starting caliber PGs at 26: Simpson, Carter, Kolek, Sears. Daron Holmes would still be a great pick.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,389

Post#1514 » by doclinkin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:49 am

nate33 wrote:Impressive footage from Topic in his first game back:

Read on Twitter

Also impressively terrible play by everyone else on the floor. On the one hand he should have had more assists. On the other hand it doesn't speak highly for the level of competition he faces in that league.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,886

Post#1515 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:12 am

If we get the top pick, I can't imagine Will looking past Sarr. After that... who knows?

Take another look at Reed Sheppard's numbers. They are simply amazing.

Overall, Reed Sheppard's Freshman numbers per 40 minutes are significantly better than James Harden's. They are significantly better than Steph Curry's. They are better than any guard I can find.

& I don't just mean shooting, though yes he did post a .702 TS% as a college Freshman! But he also got almost 6 boards, just over 6 assists, & almost 3.5 steals.

Now... show me another Freshman guard who shot anywhere near the level of Reed Sheppard. I don't mean this year. I mean ever.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,389

Post#1516 » by doclinkin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:14 am

Can't find a full game replay. Here's a highlight reel posted by Topić's team.

;ab_channel=KKCrvenazvezdaMeridianbet

First game back getting re-integrated, but he does not seem to know what to do if he doesn't have the ball. One nice cut to the basket otherwise it's a lot of standing around kinda flapping his hands. He's skilled when he touches it though no doubt.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,691

Post#1517 » by penbeast0 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:52 am

doclinkin wrote:Can't find a full game replay. Here's a highlight reel posted by Topić's team.

;ab_channel=KKCrvenazvezdaMeridianbet

First game back getting re-integrated, but he does not seem to know what to do if he doesn't have the ball. One nice cut to the basket otherwise it's a lot of standing around kinda flapping his hands. He's skilled when he touches it though no doubt.

Just curious, does FIBA have the backcourt violation in the rules. Looked like two of them in the first minute or so of that video.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1518 » by NatP4 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:59 am

payitforward wrote:If we get the top pick, I can't imagine Will looking past Sarr. After that... who knows?

Take another look at Reed Sheppard's numbers. They are simply amazing.

Overall, Reed Sheppard's Freshman numbers per 40 minutes are significantly better than James Harden's. They are significantly better than Steph Curry's. They are better than any guard I can find.

& I don't just mean shooting, though yes he did post a .702 TS% as a college Freshman! But he also got almost 6 boards, just over 6 assists, & almost 3.5 steals.

Now... show me another Freshman guard who shot anywhere near the level of Reed Sheppard. I don't mean this year. I mean ever.

Has become the most underrated prospect in the draft.

Topic is more than a year younger, playing significantly better competition, and posting 19&7 on 60% TS. That’s even more impressive production in my view, but those are the only two “Tier 1” players in this draft. Would be THRILLED to land Sheppard. Clingan is close behind at the top of the 2nd tier.

Think Topic will make it a conversation for the top pick, and Dawkins is ELITE in the draft. Will get the right guy.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,984

Post#1519 » by DCZards » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:00 am

doclinkin wrote:
nate33 wrote:Impressive footage from Topic in his first game back:

Read on Twitter

Also impressively terrible play by everyone else on the floor. On the one hand he should have had more assists. On the other hand it doesn't speak highly for the level of competition he faces in that league.

Yes, impressed by Topic’s ability to find open teammates, but not at all impressed by the defense being played by his opponents.

Definitely a lot of missed shots by teammates that should have been assists for Topic.

I’ve still got Sarr, Castle and, probably, Dillingham ahead of Topic.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 901

Post#1520 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:43 am

Frichuela wrote:Moreover, and after listening to the Winger/Dawkins press conference, the comment on the possibility of maybe having a 3rd 1st rounder in this draft caught my attention. Perhaps, they are contemplating dangling Kuzma to Memphis, Utah or Atlanta for a 8-11th pick...

Maybe a trade down? Pelicans have 18 & 21... If you don't love the top tier talent at the top maybe its better to trade back & take multiple swings?
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith

Return to Washington Wizards