ImageImageImageImageImage

TYUS JONES professional point guard.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,179

Re: TYUS JONES professional point guard. 

Post#21 » by Dat2U » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:47 pm

DCZards wrote:Will Dawkins is well aware that at its core DC is a basketball town, one that will respond to a winner. That's something he wants to sell players like Jones on...assuming the Zards want to resign Tyus.

I struggle to see how Tyus is any better than Monte Morris. Different play styles but Monte was more efficient and rarely turned over the ball.

Of course, we then trade KP for Tyus and sell off Monte for a future 2nd and the move is celebrated like its a culture changer so what do I know. :-?
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,367

Post#22 » by dobrojim » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:48 pm

Hopefully we can occasionally actually get stops and take advantage of team speed.
This could be a fun team to watch.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,007

Post#23 » by DCZards » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:18 pm

Dat2U wrote:I struggle to see how Tyus is any better than Monte Morris. Different play styles but Monte was more efficient and rarely turned over the ball.

Of course, we then trade KP for Tyus and sell off Monte for a future 2nd and the move is celebrated like it’s a culture changer so what do I know. :-?

Tyus rarely turns the ball over. In fact, his asst to turnover ratio is as good or better than Monte’s.

It’s the style of play and leadership that matters most to me. As much as I liked Monte, I was disappointed that he rarely looked to create for teammates—set them up for easy baskets. And, imo, he was not a take charge guy—or leader—when he was out there.

Both of these are things that I value in a PG and I think we’ll get much more of it from Tyus.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,959

Post#24 » by Frichuela » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:36 pm

DCZards wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
DCZards wrote:Will Dawkins is well aware that at its core DC is a basketball town, one that will respond to a winner. That's something he wants to sell players like Jones on...assuming the Zards want to resign Tyus.

I struggle to see how Tyus is any better than Monte Morris. Different play styles but Monte was more efficient and rarely turned over the ball.

Of course, we then trade KP for Tyus and sell off Monte for a future 2nd and the move is celebrated like it’s a culture changer so what do I know. :-?

Tyus rarely turns the ball over. In fact, I believe his asst to turnover ratio is as good or better than Monte’s.

It’s the style of play and leadership that matters most to me. As much as I liked Monte, I was disappointed that he rarely looked to create for teammates or set them up for easy baskets. And, imo, he was not a take charge guy—or leader—when he was out there.

Both of these are things that I value in a PG and I think we’ll get much more of it from Tyus.

To me, the biggest difference is defensively. Tyus is way more solid than Monte on D. For example, Tyus has averaged 1.8 steals per 36 vs. 1.1 in Monte's case throughout their careers. Looking at advanced stats, Tyus has a DRtg of 112 (vs. 115 for Monte) and a DBPM of +0.6 (vs. -0.4 for Monte).
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,953

Post#25 » by TGW » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:44 pm

Tyus Jones is definitely better than Morris. Morris couldn't break down a defense or beat his man off the dribble. You knew when the shot clock was winding down that he was going to take two dribbles and shoot. Tyus can actually penetrate the heart of defenses and do damage. Morris and Jones are nothing alike to me from an on-court style of play.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,938

Post#26 » by payitforward » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:58 pm

Dat2U wrote:
DCZards wrote:Will Dawkins is well aware that at its core DC is a basketball town, one that will respond to a winner. That's something he wants to sell players like Jones on...assuming the Zards want to resign Tyus....

Of course, we then trade KP for Tyus and sell off Monte for a future 2nd and the move is celebrated like its a culture changer so what do I know. :-?

I'm a big fan of Monte Morris, as you know.
There was little to choose between the two guys last year, & Morris is certainly the superior shooter.

But, overall, on the their careers, Jones is a bit better player. I called it "a slight upgrade," & I stick with that.

OTOH, Jones is a year younger than Morris, which is a plus.

As to the transactions that resulted in us having Jones rather than Morris, keep in mind that the acquisition of Jones was virtually forced on us, as KP had opted out & signed with Boston. & once we had Jones, there was little point in keeping Morris, so we got what we could for him.

But, you're right -- it's not the oh-so-positive move people are claiming it is.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,438

Post#27 » by doclinkin » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:00 pm

Dat2U wrote:I struggle to see how Tyus is any better than Monte Morris. Different play styles but Monte was more efficient and rarely turned over the ball.

It is close but the variance in play styles is the difference to me. Especially on a young team. Monte has been a solid and reliable maker of open shots. Tyus is a notch better as a floor leader.

Morris is an efficient low-usage ballhandler, though he's about as often playing off the ball as he is delivering it. He makes the right pass, does not impose himself on the action. He has benefitted by playing next to high usage Bigs who themselves move the ball, so his job has been to get open about as often is it to set the table. He will handle the ball to bring it up and get things in motion, though in general he's not the captain of the offense, directing the action. He is a mistake free game manager and an opportunistic scorer. He is a caretaker of the ball, does not make dumb mistakes or take chances.

Tyus likewise has led the league in AST:TO ratio the past 5 years (holds the record in NBA history with a > 6:1 ratio one year). He's a year younger, though with 2 years more experience in the league. In play style he is somewhat more of a set-up player, with an assist rate ~ 30% (equivalent to players like Mike Conley, Ricky Rubio). He will put his teammates in position to score, with misdirection and use of screens. He tends to penetrate into a crowd to draw action towards himself, a difference from Monte, who tends to play on the periphery to stretch defenses and keep the center open. In the scrum Tyus has a useful floater which can double as a lob to a big when teams jump out to challenge his shot.

On a young team I like the idea of a player who is not only a ball protector, but one who opens opportunities on offense. On this squad, with the young and the reckless, it will be helpful to put teammates in position to score, rather than simply to find them when they do make the right play. I can see lob-dunk options for Gafford and Coulibaly. Drive and kick/Pick and Pop options for Kispert or ranged Bigs. Mostly though I can see him helping teach players what to do, in more of a serious leadership role than we see from Monte's style and personality.

It's not like anyone is saying we are going to storm the league. But which player would be better for a rebuild around young players. I that respect I do see it as a culture change. Potentially.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,577

Post#28 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:05 pm

An unusual thing about Tyus Jones is that he is a significantly better shooter off the dribble than he is off the catch-and-shoot:

Chase Hughes with Yahoo Sports wrote:In the reverse of what you often see from NBA players, Jones is a better shooter the more he dribbles. He shot a higher percentage last season on pull-up shots (44.4%) than he did on catch-and-shoot plays (37.6%). It's a consistent increase when you break it down by the dribble. Last year, Jones shot 37.8% on zero dribbles, 45.8% after one dribble, 51.6% after two dribbles and 49.1% on 3-to-6 dribbles.

It seems to me that Dawkins is banking on Tyus being somewhat miscast in Memphis with too much off-ball duty while alongside Morant. Tyus is much better with the ball in his hands. When Ja was out and Tyus was the primary initiator, here is what he did:

Tyus Jones as a starter last year per 36 minutes (22 games total)
17.8 points
8.8 assists
4.4 rebounds
2.0 steals
0.0 blocks
1.7 turnovers
.598 TS%

Tyus Jones, as the primary ball-handler and offense initiator, is really good. 17.8 points and 8.8 assists per 36 are pretty big numbers. 8.8 assists per 36 would rank 8th in the league (ranked by per 36) while also having the lowest turnover rate of anyone in the top 15 passers. 17.8 points per 36 would rank 85th in the league, so roughly good enough to be a 3rd option - at a TS% over league average. Basically, his offensive numbers as a starter are halfway between Mike Conley and Darius Garland. And 2.0 steals is no joke either. That ranks 5th in the league (per 36).

And let's not overlook that Memphis, without Ja Morant, doesn't really have a lot of offensive weapons. There's Bane who is good, and JJJ who is okay, and that's about it. So it's not like Jones was being ignored by defenses. Memphis went 13-9 with Jones starting (a 48 win pace). In the previous season, Jones started 23 games and Memphis went 19-4.

For comparison, here are Monte Morris numbers last year per 36 minutes:
13.5 points
6.9 assists
4.5 rebounds
0.9 steals
0.3 blocks
1.3 turnovers
.579 TS%

13.5 points and 6.9 assists are pretty anemic numbers over 36 minutes. And frankly, the TS% isn't so great for someone who is being so selective in his shot opportunities. The low turnovers are fantastic, of course.
DCZards
RealGM

Post#29 » by DCZards » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:59 pm

payitforward wrote:As to the transactions that resulted in us having Jones rather than Morris, keep in mind that the acquisition of Jones was virtually forced on us, as KP had opted out & signed with Boston. & once we had Jones, there was little point in keeping Morris, so we got what we could for him.

You keep acting as if the Zards had no say whatsoever in the negotiations surrounding the KP trade. I’m not sure why you keep making this unsubstantiated claim that Jones was “forced” on the Zards. Isn’t it possible that Winger and Co. “wanted” Jones.

As far as we know, Memphis could have offered Brandon Clarke and the Zards said: “No, we want Tyus Jones.” :)
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,660

Post#30 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:09 pm

I've said it on here many times, including last season when there was slight hope that he'd come here, that I'm a big fan of Tyus Jones. The numbers really don't scream that he's a much better player than Morris, but he is a better player. Look at his starting numbers from last season. But in keeping the semi-tank, I'd like to see similar numbers so he'll have some trade value (hopefully a late first) or keeping him around isn't the worst thing for a cap-friendly deal.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/tyus-jones-stats-as-a-starter-this-season
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,577

Post#31 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:25 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:As to the transactions that resulted in us having Jones rather than Morris, keep in mind that the acquisition of Jones was virtually forced on us, as KP had opted out & signed with Boston. & once we had Jones, there was little point in keeping Morris, so we got what we could for him.

You keep acting as if the Zards had no say whatsoever in the negotiations surrounding the KP trade. I’m not sure why you keep making this unsubstantiated claim that Jones was “forced” on Zards. Isn’t possible that Winger and Co. “wanted” Jones.

As far as we know, Memphis could have offered Brandon Clarke and the Zards said: “No, we want Tyus Jones.” :)

Yeah, that argument by PIF is nonsense.

It's true that we were essentially forced to trade Porzingis and that reduced the return we could get, but the actual return was still under our control. And we chose to get by Tyus from Memphis rather than filler contracts and picks (which Memphis had available).
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#32 » by doclinkin » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:18 pm

Too, we note how effectively the Grizz have been at drafting and developing young players. Some part of that development of course is team play. Yes they pick talents that have shown a solid track record in college, but many players leave college successful but fail in the NBA. Given that most young players come off the bench for a while, I wonder if any/how much of the development on the Memphis squad has had anything to do with Jones' mentorship. We will see if Memphis (2nd best record in the West last year) drops off this year.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#33 » by payitforward » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:54 pm

DCZards wrote:

You keep acting as if the Zards had no say whatsoever in the negotiations surrounding the KP trade. I’m not sure why you keep making this unsubstantiated claim that Jones was “forced” on Zards. Isn’t possible that Winger and Co. “wanted” Jones.

Sure, anything's possible. "Forced" was an overstatement. After all, we didn't have to participate in this transaction. We could simply have let KP do what he did.

Moreover, it was chance not a plan that linked KP opting out to the fact that the Celtics were trading Marcus Smart to Memphis.

All the same, since Memphis was acquiring Smart, a PG, Tyus was most likely the guy they offered. One didn't happen because of the other.

But, that doesn't amount to "virtually forced on us."
Still, what it does it matter?. I *like* Tyus Jones. I was glad we acquired Tyus Jones & said so at the time. He's an upgrade over Monte, tho not a huge one, but he's also a year younger than Monte. Terrific.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#34 » by payitforward » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:38 pm

nate33 wrote:...It's true that we were essentially forced to trade Porzingis and that reduced the return we could get, but the actual return was still under our control. And we chose to get by Tyus from Memphis rather than filler contracts and picks (which Memphis had available).

This is certainly a good point, nate; but, unless I missed something, we don't know that Memphis made "filler contracts and picks" available -- or that they offered anyone or anything at all other than Tyus Jones.

Plus, it was certainly in their interest to move Jones, since otherwise they were going to be paying him $15+m to be their third point guard (once Morant's suspension was over). The logic of this is borne out, as well, by the fact that a week after the trade they signed Derrick Rose for $3.2m to fill that role -- they'll likely try to trade him once Morant returns.

Still, you may be right, given that they now have 16 guaranteed contracts.

(Looking at https://www.spotrac.com/nba/memphis-grizzlies/cap/, btw, I notice that those wild & crazy guys in Memphis now have almost $660,000,000 in guaranteed salaries going forward! Wow!)
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,953

Post#35 » by TGW » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:44 pm

I hope they resign him somehow. I think statistically (advanced stats), he'll be the best player on the team next to Kispert.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#36 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:02 pm

I imagine they will want to re-sign Tyus -- unless there's some particularly appealing deal at this year's deadline.

Otherwise, there would have been little point in acquiring him for what is obviously not a target season.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,367

Post#37 » by dobrojim » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:16 pm

payitforward wrote:I imagine they will want to re-sign Tyus -- unless there's some particularly appealing deal at this year's deadline.

Otherwise, there would have been little point in acquiring him for what is obviously not a target season.

Or an uber talented PG they can draft (posted with the understanding that learning PG in the NBA
is no easy task).
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#38 » by doclinkin » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:23 pm

TGW wrote:I hope they resign him somehow. I think statistically (advanced stats), he'll be the best player on the team next to Kispert.

I think Kispert in particular will significantly benefit from having a set-up man at the point. He is efficient already, but I think he will see more opportunities, get more touches. I want to see if Jones can improve the efficiency of players like Kuz or Poole, but I expect they will make their own chances when they touch the ball, and probably still drive people crazy with wildass shots. But any catch and shoot players (Wright, Shamet, Danilo, Muscala, PBJr, etc) should see better stats when Jones is on court.

Gafford too. And Bilal. Since they need to be hand fed. (For now, early, in the case of Bilal). Gafford benefitted from Westbrook feeding him (and missing shots for offensive rebound chances) but I recall he also played well next to Ish Smith.

Kispert though should see a bump in points per game. To the extent where his success may steal minutes from Bilal, maybe Deni, Davis even. I would like to see if we can play heavier minutes for him at 2-guard, so he can step in in relief of Poole, or Tyus when Poole runs the point. He probably won't start most games but I think it will be tough to keep Kispert out for long given his ability to both stretch the floor and steal easy points with smart cuts to the paint.
DCZards
RealGM

Post#39 » by DCZards » Thu Aug 3, 2023 8:35 pm

5 underrated moves from 2023 NBA offseason
These players could have an immediate impact on their new squads for the upcoming season.

4. Tyus Jones traded to Washington in 3-team deal
Tyus Jones’ high production in a backup point guard role makes him a valuable asset to the Wizards.

While Kristaps Porzingis (to Boston) and Marcus Smart (to Memphis) were the marquee names in the three-team trade between the Celtics, Grizzlies and Wizards in late June, do not overlook the addition of Jones to the Wizards’ new-look backcourt alongside Jordan Poole.

Jones has already established himself as one of the top backup point guards in the league and now gets a chance at a starting gig in D.C. after being a reserve for much of his first eight seasons in the league (94 starts in 535 career games). However, it is important to look at Jones’ production in those limited starts.

Last season, Jones started 22 games, averaging 16.4 points and 8.1 assists while shooting 50% from the field and 41.5% from 3-point range on nearly five attempts per game. Jones also led the NBA in assist/turnover ratio at an impressive 5.64 assists per turnover. Jones is a steady playmaker that doesn’t turn the ball over and can knock down 3-pointers at a 40% clip.

https://www.nba.com/news/five-underrated-moves-2023-offseason
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#40 » by doclinkin » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:39 pm

Just a rewind as reminder how Jones ended up in the league. Here he was as a young 18yr old freshman, hauling his team to the NCAA championship by will and determination.

An 8 year veteran, he's only 27 years old since he was 18yrs old until the month before the draft (May birthday). Stats say players enter a 3 year prime at age 27. He's been auditioning for a lead role for a good while now. Not his fault the team drafted a crowd pleasing athletic hypertalent at his spot. My sense is Jones has that coach-on-the-floor mindset that this team has lacked since forever. (Well maybe Westbrook in a different way). He will win us a few games on nights when opponents slack and overlook the team. He does not have a su ck button. Pro's pro.

Return to Washington Wizards