Old Man Injuries, Bio-hacks & Remedies

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Old Man Injuries, Bio-hacks & Remedies 

Post#1 » by W. Unseld » Tue Jul 4, 2023 3:22 pm

Figured w/as long as this board has been going we’ve got some athletes & weekend warriors who have had some injuries & can share how to get over them; looking more for real life experience over internet searches. Thought I would selfishly start w/mine nut I’ve got some tips and remedies there too, obviously none of this is actual medical advice:

Lower back pain: it was shooting down my leg at night even after ant-inflammatories & a PT stretching routine for the back. Nothing really helped for any length of time until I did an easy hip flexor pose:
https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/low-lunge/
Which allowed me to work up to pigeon, in short hip was just as much of a]n issue for me as back so try that if you haven’t:
https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/one-legged-king-pigeon-pose/#_pay-wall

Left Knee Pain: Had a torn meniscus & surgery 6 years ago. It’s been ok since, I’ve managed it with steroid shots, HLA shoots and seteptise https://www.bulletproof.com/supplements/aminos-enzymes/serrapeptase-benefits-dosage/

But lately nothing is working, including ice and rest. It can gir from 1 to a 7 w/o any good explanation, often waking me up in the middle of the night even if it wasn’t hurting much before I went to sleep. Doctors say lack of cartilage is partially to blame but have no solutions, anyone encountered this before?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,601

Re: Old Man Injuries & Remedies 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 4:23 pm

I'm a big fan of any type of hip strengthening exercises. Those have been critical for me remaining very active with zero back trouble. Before lifting, I get on the floor with a pair of ankle weights on and do a bunch of Jane Fonda stuff and various front planks and side planks.

I then do a few reverse hyperextensions on an exercise ball (with ankle weights still on):

All that stuff has been great for me, unfortunately, there's just no cure for aging. I'm keeping my core strong and have good strength and flexibility, but then I still had Achilles tendonitis sideline me for 6 months. I had to switch from running to swimming and I had to drop basketball altogether for the last 2 months. I'm better now and looking forward to playing basketball tomorrow for the first time in a long time.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,259

Post#3 » by AFM » Tue Jul 4, 2023 7:17 pm

Thanks for this thread. Will revisit it in 30 years.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,995

Post#4 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 7:20 pm

I tore a ligament in my ankle last summer and that shid was brutal.

Had some hamstring issues a few months ago.

Been doing a lot of swimming, more stretching and lifting the last couple months. Had plantar fasciitis too. Lost some weight.

But now I’m feeling great. Played a few games of pickup last night.

Getting into my 30s now so I’m definitely feeling the aches now. It’s all about being smarter.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,792

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 7:30 pm

In my sixties, knee injuries, damaged disks in my back, and severe plantar fascitis. I do flexibility/core type stretching but the feet issues were really causing me problems. Took up cycling; I get in 10-20 miles in two trips most days and that's been a help. Still creates pain in my knees (and butt if I go too long) but no pressure to speak of on my feet or back. It helps that I'm in South Florida where there isn't a hill worth mentioning within 100 miles in any direction.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#6 » by WallToWall » Tue Jul 4, 2023 7:44 pm

For those joint pains, may wanna try a supplement called Glucosamine. For me, taking it every other day keeps my knee joints feeling a lot better. I can lightly jog 5 miles without issues.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,956

Post#7 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 4, 2023 8:18 pm

I keep loose by posting here.... :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,740

Post#8 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 11:14 am

I have a section in my freezer just for ice packs. I ice everything if it doesn't feel right.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#9 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Jul 5, 2023 5:04 pm

Bourbon
In Rizzo we trust
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,259

Post#10 » by AFM » Wed Jul 5, 2023 7:01 pm

Whole lotta weed
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#11 » by W. Unseld » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:03 am

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Getting ready to try a peptide called BPC-157, peptides are building blocks of proteins and this one has been out a while, supposedly great for healing and as an anti-inflammatory.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,219

Post#12 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jul 6, 2023 5:04 pm

Acupuncture, chiro, pilates, pt.

Have arthritis in my knees, but am managing it carefully and have slowly worked my way back to being able to shoot hoops carefully and gently for a half hour per day.

Lost 25 lbs on ozempic, still 40 lbs or so overweight. Big problem is lower back of course, carrying around all that extra weight. Side planks, planks are very helpful for that. But I wouldn't be able to manage all my issues/ailments without chiro and acupuncture. And pt was surprisingly helpful, last time I tried pt in the 90s it didn't help much.

Honestly pt is a last resort, when things have gone horribly wrong. Need that holistic medicine to help keep you from getting to that place in the first place.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,219

Post#13 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jul 6, 2023 5:11 pm

Don't do too many steroid shots in your knee, they will eventually reduce the cartilage there. You want gel shots if you can get them.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#14 » by miller31time » Thu Jul 6, 2023 5:33 pm

Just had ACL reconstruction surgery and meniscus surgery 2 weeks ago and started PT yesterday. I’m 34. Younger me wouldn’t give two you-know-what’s about the long-term implications of my knee (and other body parts) but now I’m really getting nervous that I’m going to be dealing with knee problems for the rest of my life.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,651

Post#15 » by pancakes3 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 5:36 pm

weight loss is probably the least helpful advice but also the most helpful. can't keep hooping like i'm a teenager while carrying an extra 40 lbs. the wear and tear on the joints is just too much.

i only hoop 1x a week. i've started walking/hiking a lot more. i've taken up golf. I stretch. I have a massage gun, and i ice everything like gambix. i lift, especially legs, to burn more calories. basically anything i can do to burn calories and avoid high impact activities.

i've thought about getting a pelaton but... seems too yuppie.

never liked jogging. don't know how dobro does 100 miles.
Bullets -> Wizards
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#16 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 5:49 pm

miller31time wrote:Just had ACL reconstruction surgery and meniscus surgery 2 weeks ago and started PT yesterday. I’m 34. Younger me wouldn’t give two you-know-what’s about the long-term implications of my knee (and other body parts) but now I’m really getting nervous that I’m going to be dealing with knee problems for the rest of my life.

Take the rehab seriously. If you work at it, you can regain nearly full strength.

I blew out my ACL and MCL at age 39 while playing basketball. They snipped a portion of my hamstring muscle to create a new ACL. 6 months later, I was back to playing basketball, running and swimming. My knee has no problems whatsoever. I've been playing basketball on it for the last 12 years.

They only noticeable thing is that the hamstring of my surgically repaired knee is a bit weaker. I just have less muscle mass to work with. When I do hamstring curls on the machine, I can always do about 25% more weight with my "good" knee than I can with the reconstructed knee. The effect is only noticeable when I lift. It makes no difference in everyday activity.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 6:03 pm

pancakes3 wrote:never liked jogging. don't know how dobro does 100 miles.

I like to run, but I start getting aches and pains if I put in more than 15 miles a week. If I put in any more than that, any advantage I gain in conditioning is offset by nagging aches and pains.

These days, I try to limit my workouts to less distance with more high intensity interval training. Once a week, I try to do four sets of 1-minute sprints (after a warm up, of course). It doesn't really matter if it's running, swimming, or elliptical. Just try and get the heart rate right up to the maximum (220 - age). Do one HIIT workout a week like that, plus lift twice a week, and that's a great foundation.

Everything beyond that is gravy. I try and play basketball twice a week, and maybe get in one more longer, steady-state run (or swim), but if life gets in the way, no biggie.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,590

Post#18 » by pcbothwel » Thu Jul 6, 2023 6:14 pm

As someone who has been involved in power lifting, bodybuilding, and general athletics for ~20 years... Here are 2 suggestions for Aches/Pains/Injuries crew:
1) Deep stretching, pushing your range of motion to the end, is AMAZING for your joints. Knees-Over-Toes guy has been really popular for folks because it seriously works. Exercises that would TERRIBLE for you with significant weight can be a godsend with less resistance. Google "Jefferson Curl" and your entire posterior chain will thank you.

2) KILL INFLAMATION. BE A CARNIVORE. Drop all the carbs out your diet. Start off with the worst stuff. Desserts, bread, pasta, etc... ALL OF IT. You can then amp it up by reducing veggies and fruit as well. Final step is Dairy.
2 Weeks and your life will change.
I get bored of it after ~ 1 month, but all your aches and pains are GONE, your mental clarity jumps up significantly, and your hormones will love it. I have blood work as proof, but it is phenomenal.

To be honest. It can be a bit sad/depressing, because you get a glimpse of how your body & mind should feel/respond when properly managed. It makes you take a hard look at your habits and how we basically poison ourselves slowly throughout our lives.

And dont be shy about fasting (Water only) 2-3 times a year for 2-3 days. That, along with carnivore diet, will really draw a contrast to how you normally feel.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#19 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 6:35 pm

pcbothwel wrote:As someone who has been involved in power lifting, bodybuilding, and general athletics for ~20 years... Here are 2 suggestions for Aches/Pains/Injuries crew:
1) Deep stretching, pushing your range of motion to the end, is AMAZING for your joints. Knees-Over-Toes guy has been really popular for folks because it seriously works. Exercises that would TERRIBLE for you with significant weight can be a godsend with less resistance. Google "Jefferson Curl" and your entire posterior chain will thank you.

2) KILL INFLAMATION. BE A CARNIVORE. Drop all the carbs out your diet. Start off with the worst stuff. Desserts, bread, pasta, etc... ALL OF IT. You can then amp it up by reducing veggies and fruit as well. Final step is Dairy.
I get bored of it after ~ 1 month, but all your aches and pains are GONE, your mental clarity jumps up significantly, and your hormones will love it. I have blood work as proof, but it is phenomenal.

To be honest. It can be a bit sad/depressing, because you get a glimpse of how your body & mind should feel/respond when properly managed. It makes you take a hard look at your habits and how we basically poison ourselves slowly throughout our lives.

And dont be shy about fasting (Water only) 2-3 times a year for 2-3 days. That, along with carnivore diet, will really draw a contrast to how you normally feel.

Interesting stuff. I've gradually reduced carbs and I'm a big fan of intermittent fasting, but I haven't gone all the way and tried a carnivore diet. I eat a lot of eggs, cheese and butter.

Another thing I've heard is that it's not so much the carbs, it's the fact that most of our carbs come from grains, and grains are really seeds, and seeds don't WANT to be eaten. Most seeds try to make themselves poisonous is some way so that they're not eaten by predators. So, a really healthy way to eat is to avoid any plant foods that don't want to be eaten. That means fruits are okay, as are some root vegetables like potatoes and tubers, but avoid most vegetables, grains, beans and nuts. Meat is good, of course. I haven't tried eating this way yet, but I'm thinking about giving it a shot.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,590

Post#20 » by pcbothwel » Thu Jul 6, 2023 8:13 pm

nate33 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:As someone who has been involved in power lifting, bodybuilding, and general athletics for ~20 years... Here are 2 suggestions for Aches/Pains/Injuries crew:

Interesting stuff. I've gradually reduced carbs and I'm a big fan of intermittent fasting, but I haven't gone all the way and tried a carnivore diet. I eat a lot of eggs, cheese and butter.

Another thing I've heard is that it's not so much the carbs, it's the fact that most of our carbs come from grains, and grains are really seeds, and seeds don't WANT to be eaten. Most seeds try to make themselves poisonous is some way so that they're not eaten by predators. So, a really healthy way to eat is to avoid any plant foods that don't want to be eaten. That means fruits are okay, as are some root vegetables like potatoes and tubers, but avoid most vegetables, grains, beans and nuts. Meat is good, of course. I haven't tried eating this way yet, but I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

Completely agree. Removing fruit, veggies, and dairy are elective and really can be done for short spurts (~1 week) and see results.
Intermittent fasting is great and one of the inital steps I made on this journey. But I really suggest a longer fast 2-3 times per year, especially after a period of indulgence. lol. Try fasting for 72 hours after the New Year and you feel like a new person. After that it gets tough, and your sodium levels can plummet.

Return to Washington Wizards