Old Man Injuries, Bio-hacks & Remedies

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,216

Re: Old Man Injuries, Bio-hacks & Remedies 

Post#101 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:30 pm

Scabs304 wrote:So I pulled my hip flexor (I partially tore it many years ago racing motocross) going to hard to early in a 3 hour race. The next 3 laps were rough but continued pedaling and low and behold it was good when I got off the bike and barely bothered me. I stick to just keep pedaling is a proper hack.

Side note with the 3 hour race complete weighted myself the next day I lost 6 pounds. I have a tendency to fluctuate as much as 10 pounds in a given day though. Weighing between 200-230 allows for som fluctuation though.

Do you have high blood pressure when you weigh more? Lower blood pressure when you weigh less?
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#102 » by Scabs304 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:41 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
Scabs304 wrote:So I pulled my hip flexor (I partially tore it many years ago racing motocross) going to hard to early in a 3 hour race. The next 3 laps were rough but continued pedaling and low and behold it was good when I got off the bike and barely bothered me. I stick to just keep pedaling is a proper hack.

Side note with the 3 hour race complete weighted myself the next day I lost 6 pounds. I have a tendency to fluctuate as much as 10 pounds in a given day though. Weighing between 200-230 allows for som fluctuation though.
weight is not a much of a factor, but fitter definitely leads to a better blood pressure. A lot of factors into that because when I am fitter often I am riding my bike more and in turn happier and less stressed. Migraines and higher blood pressure usually comes down to stress for me.

Do you have high blood pressure when you weigh more? Lower blood pressure when you weigh less?
I am Scabs.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#103 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:31 pm

Scabs304 wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:

weight is not a much of a factor, but fitter definitely leads to a better blood pressure. A lot of factors into that because when I am fitter often I am riding my bike more and in turn happier and less stressed. Migraines and higher blood pressure usually comes down to stress for me.

It's weird to have your weight vary that much, is why I'm asking. I'm heavier than you and my weight varies by about two pounds per day, three pounds if I exercise vigorously. But I'm also on a pretty strict low salt diet. And when I eat too much salt my weight goes up a few lbs. And my bp goes through the roof.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,578

Post#104 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:11 pm

Does anybody have a strong opinion on the benefits of grounding? The theory is that contact with the earth helps to de-ionize blood cells, which makes them less likely to stick to each other magnetically, which improves blood flow and prevents inflammation.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:41 pm

nate33 wrote:Does anybody have a strong opinion on the benefits of grounding? The theory is that contact with the earth helps to de-ionize blood cells, which makes them less likely to stick to each other magnetically, which improves blood flow and prevents inflammation.

I would recommend locating yourself as close to ley lines as possible for this to work

hardyhar, I don't know, there's an article that claims to have peer reviewed evidence that it works but if you google "is grounding a scam" you also get plenty of hits

This sounds a lot like ionic foot baths, which uses a similar line of reasoning. When you run a current through salt water while your feet are in it, a whole bunch of nasty brown stuff comes out, which makes it look like something is happening. But the brown stuff is a natural result of running current through salt water. They still claim that in addition to that there is other stuff that "comes out" of you, that they call toxins. I've tried it, it's one of those things that doesn't directly harm you but probably doesn't do much to help either.

Another woowoo thing I've experimented with is PEMFs, apparently it's been approved by the FDA for improving the rate of healing of broken bones. The people who market it have gone way beyond that, I've tried it and I've gotta say - I feel better after using it. I'm not quite ready for their crazy magic water stuff though.

https://www.infopathy.com/en/publications
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,361

Post#106 » by Kanyewest » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:47 pm

I'm down about 17 pounds since 2020 when I started logging my weight weekly. Lately, I've been trying to log my weight daily and average it out for the week. So far I'm down about 4 pounds in the last month - maybe thanks to some of the tips here- trying to get a bit more protein although I eat less carbs than before, I haven't cut them out completely. I think my goal is basically to lose maybe 10-15 pounds or whenever the body fat percentage begins to drop.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 110

Post#107 » by W. Unseld » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:55 pm

A. I'm curious about PEMFs, the heart has an electric current as does the brain
B. I've tried grounding, not sure it does anything, I usually feel a tad better but I chalk this up to being outside
C. Kanye, congrats, keep it up! Loving that the thread helped. It's one thing to read about it from randoms on the internet but hearing it from people who have actually succeeded with it that you (sort of) know is helpful.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:45 pm

PEMF is FDA approved for accelerating the healing of broken bones, and acupuncture has been FDA approved for pain relief, fwiw. There's statistically significant evidence that they work better than a placebo. Whether PEMF/acupuncture works for all the other stuff they claim it works for I don't know.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#109 » by W. Unseld » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:42 pm

Not sure on PEMF but acupuncture has DEFINITELY helped my back.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,232

Post#110 » by AFM » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:37 am

Pretty sure I saw some guys doing acupuncture on the corner of 9th and Florida the other day, it looked pretty effective
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by W. Unseld » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:53 am

AFM wrote:Pretty sure I saw some guys doing acupuncture on the corner of 9th and Florida the other day, it looked pretty effective

I think if you give it a try for back pain you’ll find it helps, but maybe not with the guys on 9th & Florida
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:49 pm

W. Unseld wrote:
AFM wrote:Pretty sure I saw some guys doing acupuncture on the corner of 9th and Florida the other day, it looked pretty effective

I think if you give it a try for back pain you’ll find it helps, but maybe not with the guys on 9th & Florida

The guys at Barry Farm are pretty good
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by W. Unseld » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:49 pm

Cramping part 2, after going to a doc and being told to cut out alcohol (I don't really drink much anyway) and "hydrate and eat a banana" I can report that this even w/loads of magnesium didn't work. Cramping went from a charlie horse every few months to my calfs and now my feet (involuntary toe spreading) and even my hands. PCP doesn't seem to think it's a big deal but it's impossible to sleep through and seems to be spreading.

Allegedly Beal had these issues and came up w/some sort of concoction and it helped, anyone aware of that or have any other ideas? Pickle juice doesnt seem to be working and even mustard wears off after a few minutes (yes for some odd reason mustard helps).
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,643

Post#114 » by pancakes3 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:32 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Cramping part 2, after going to a doc and being told to cut out alcohol (I don't really drink much anyway) and "hydrate and eat a banana" I can report that this even w/loads of magnesium didn't work. Cramping went from a charlie horse every few months to my calfs and now my feet (involuntary toe spreading) and even my hands. PCP doesn't seem to think it's a big deal but it's impossible to sleep through and seems to be spreading.

Allegedly Beal had these issues and came up w/some sort of concoction and it helped, anyone aware of that or have any other ideas? Pickle juice doesnt seem to be working and even mustard wears off after a few minutes (yes for some odd reason mustard helps).

afaik, sodium is the heavy lifter in ionic/electrolyte signalling. certain enzymes/cell signals use potassium (magnesium is used as a facilitator to direct potassium/sodium) but the majority of cell activity requires sodium, so if you're salt deficient and sweating a lot daily, that could be it.
Bullets -> Wizards
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by W. Unseld » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:05 pm

pancakes3 wrote: so if you're salt deficient and sweating a lot daily, that could be it.

So put some salt in some water and drink that? I actually heard that was part of the Beal concoction
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#116 » by W. Unseld » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:01 pm

I think I selfishly started this thread for myself but the GD back locked up again after freaking pickleball--pickleball. I've been doing loads of stretches and core work so this is especially frustrating, think I'm just going to have to put two days in between racquet activities instead of one which will be hard since I've been helping my daughter train her game, I'm in a USTA league and all the activity has helped me cut back on the drinking, was never close to an alcoholic but the weight gain goes through the roof if I have 2 drinks.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by W. Unseld » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:02 pm

I should add that using real salt for cramps has helped a lot, thanks pancakes3
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by W. Unseld » Wed May 8, 2024 8:27 pm

Ok, got another one, I know no one is a doc (except maybe doc) but my doc sucks so here goes: About 3-4 months ago I went from needing no days to recover from pickleball and one day to recover from tennis to 3-4 days to recover from either, and even then not fully recovering as well. Any theories? I've ruled out lyme's disease, basically ruled out gout, trying to think of what else it could be, it's part tiredness but serious joint/back pain. Sudden onset of arthritis?
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,643

Post#119 » by pancakes3 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:57 pm

No diagnoses or remedies here, just commiseration. My right shoulder/elbow/forearm has basically been in a constant state of soreness/inflammation since I took up golf a few months ago. I've iced, i've rested, i bought a massage gun, nothing helps.
Bullets -> Wizards
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,361

Post#120 » by Kanyewest » Thu May 9, 2024 4:33 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Ok, got another one, I know no one is a doc (except maybe doc) but my doc sucks so here goes: About 3-4 months ago I went from needing no days to recover from pickleball and one day to recover from tennis to 3-4 days to recover from either, and even then not fully recovering as well. Any theories? I've ruled out lyme's disease, basically ruled out gout, trying to think of what else it could be, it's part tiredness but serious joint/back pain. Sudden onset of arthritis?

My advice (not a doctor) but at least from what I understand it.

Rest is important. Even if you feel 100% it still may be necessary to take your a rest day for the muscles to repair and apparently working out too much without rest days can lower muscle retention. Also may be important to rest longer when you are fatigued between pickleball/tennis if you are not fully recovered. You could theoretically still exercise but something with lower intensity.

From a nutritional standpoint, make sure you are eating enough protein and other nutrients. Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Drink enough water.

Return to Washington Wizards