ImageImageImageImageImage

Old Man Injuries, Bio-hacks & Remedies

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gesa2
Rookie
And1: 258

Re: Old Man Injuries, Bio-hacks & Remedies 

Post#61 » by gesa2 » Sat Aug 5, 2023 5:29 pm

Also if you want to do supplements fine but there’s no proof of benefit in large trials. Do a study of 1 and track yourself over a month or two, and stop paying for them if you can’t see a measurable difference.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#62 » by Scabs304 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 1:00 am

Just keep pedaling
I am Scabs.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,216

Post#63 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Aug 7, 2023 12:10 pm

Too fat, hurts my butt
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,578

Post#64 » by nate33 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 12:51 pm

CobraCommander wrote:30 to 45 minutes of Cardio 7 days a week- no rest days - stairs or thread mill...sweat like a pig but don’t go too hard....zone 2 etc...

Vegetarian 75% of the time.

Limit dairy

Intermittent fast

Pre & Probiotics

NMN 1000mg a day

Omega 3s 4000mg a day (50/50 epa/dha)

Magnesium- l-threonate in the morning
Magnesium glycinate at night - and potentially melatonin for sleep...small dose...but good sleep is a must

Get checked for sleep apnea and if you have it- lose weight or get that sleep machine...sleep is ultra important

Read....if you can meditate - do it....but read and do any type of puzzles or games that you can...cross word or something

Never stop looking at hot chicks...you lose that and you might as well die anyway -

Beyond just a multi vitamin- go hard on the zinc...go right to the edge but don’t over do it

Do you lift at all? Or just exclusively cardio in Zone 2?
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Aug 7, 2023 1:32 pm

Bro do you even lift
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#66 » by Scabs304 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 5:21 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Too fat, hurts my butt

You are not doing it right or enough.
I am Scabs.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 110

Post#67 » by W. Unseld » Mon Aug 7, 2023 8:44 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
NMN 1000mg a day

Magnesium glycinate at night - and potentially melatonin for sleep...small dose...but good sleep is a must

Never stop looking at hot chicks...you lose that and you might as well die anyway -

Beyond just a multi vitamin- go hard on the zinc...go right to the edge but don’t over do it

With Zinc, be sure to balance with just a tiny bit of copper or could have issues down the road.

Sounds like you know your magnesiums, few people rock the Magnesium Threonate which can be good for a minor buzz while still getting work done and is usually good for some vivid dreams.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,349

Post#68 » by CobraCommander » Tue Aug 8, 2023 3:41 am

nate33 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:30 to 45 minutes of Cardio 7 days a week- no rest days - stairs or thread mill...sweat like a pig but don’t go too hard....zone 2 etc...

Limit dairy

Intermittent fast

Pre & Probiotics

NMN 1000mg a day

Get checked for sleep apnea and if you have it- lose weight or get that sleep machine...sleep is ultra important

Read....if you can meditate - do it....but read and do any type of puzzles or games that you can...cross word or something

Lift?

315 bench, 405 squat and 500 deadlift...at 6’ 180....

The only one that’s a true max is the bench...the rest are—- “good enough for govt work”

Train like vegeta bro
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#69 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 8, 2023 1:21 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Limit dairy

Intermittent fast

Pre & Probiotics

NMN 1000mg a day

Lift?

The only one that’s a true max is the bench...the rest are—- “good enough for govt work”

Train like vegeta bro

If true, you are among the elite of the elite. You are in the top 15% of all power lifters. Is this your current strength or your all time best? How much time do you have to work out to maintain that strength while also doing 45 minutes of cardio a day?

How old are you?

https://www.usapowerlifting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Raw-Classifications-lb.pdf
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,643

Post#70 » by pancakes3 » Tue Aug 8, 2023 1:29 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Limit dairy

Intermittent fast

Pre & Probiotics

NMN 1000mg a day

Lift?

Train like vegeta bro

Built like Yajirobe
Bullets -> Wizards
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,710

Post#71 » by montestewart » Tue Aug 8, 2023 3:59 pm

Damn Cobra, you should be the Wiz board bouncer
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#72 » by CobraCommander » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:43 pm

nate33 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
nate33 wrote:Do you lift at all? Or just exclusively cardio in Zone 2?

Lift?

Train like vegeta bro

If true, you are among the elite of the elite. You are in the top 15% of all power lifters. Is this your current strength or your all time best? How much time do you have to work out to maintain that strength while also doing 45 minutes of cardio a day?

How old are you?

https://www.usapowerlifting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Raw-Classifications-lb.pdf

I work out daily - no days off...

I do bro splits....starting with heaviest weight workout for low reps 4-6 max and 4 sets minimum for the first primary exercise- like bench...and end with high rep lighter work like cable cross overs...a minimum of 4 exercises per body part-

Do heavy squat one leg day and light deadlift (same day) and reverse it and do heavy deadlifts and like high rep squats the next

These are not all time highs but honestly anything heavier just increases my likelihood of injury- and being available in the gym is the key-

All this lifting is cute,..but honestly the diet, supplements and the cardio really is what boosted my gains. When I was in my 20s I just lifted...in my 30s I got smart...now in my 40s I’m dialed in...

I’m not alone...a lot of guys at the gym are dialed in - but normally it doesn’t happen till mid 30s when you stop ego lifting and other dumb injury causing issues.

I also don’t play ball or anything anymore...no flag or pick up - Just gym....won’t even Boulder or rock climb

I don’t bulk and cut - The goal is to main-gain as a form of maintaining what I have - body fat sub 10 too....but I’m doing 4 hours a day in gym and couldn’t do that if my kid wasn’t in college
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#73 » by CobraCommander » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:56 pm

montestewart wrote:Damn Cobra, you should be the Wiz board bouncer

I think the real bio-hack is consistency and information

Everyone I know that trains consistently are in good shape

BUT the guys that train consistently AND use all the available information are next considered next level-

And honestly the majority of the people could be elite in the gym if they wanted to AND had the benefit of time and knowledge.

Also I hate to say it but it’s 2-4 hours a day- and honestly 2 isn’t even close to enough if you stretch and do cardio -

Also the all the info out on proper rep ranges -
Sets - volume per body part etc -

Plus the nutrition information is so good right now- And i know being a vegetarian makes me weaker but im also leaner- And my goal isn’t to power lift- I want to be strong and look stronger than I actual am.

Oh the other super power booster again is sleep -

Melatonin and magnesium glycinate has me managing that better than ever -

We are living in a golden age of information on YouTube etc -
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,008

Post#74 » by DCZards » Wed Aug 9, 2023 2:27 am

MY PERSONAL FORMULA
— Prayer & Meditation
— Breathing exercises
— Reading and writing
— Listening to music (both live & recorded)
— Walking 4-5 miles at least 3 times a week
— Swimming and lifting weights at least twice a week
— Regular stretching
— Zinc, Vitamins D & C, Elderberry, Fish Oil, and Turmeric supplements
— Very little red meat
— A little overweight but I have a terrible sweet tooth that makes it hard for me to lose weight
— Night owl so I probably don’t get enough sleep.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,367

Post#75 » by dobrojim » Wed Aug 9, 2023 2:56 pm

Your regimen ^ includes several things I do myself and some others I know would be
good if I did do them.

I like that you included things to support your mental health as well as your physical health.

FWIW, I'm also a night owl.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#76 » by nate33 » Wed Aug 9, 2023 3:09 pm

DCZards wrote:MY PERSONAL FORMULA
— Prayer & Meditation
— Breathing exercises
— Reading and writing
— Regular stretching
— Very little red meat
— A little overweight but I have a terrible sweet tooth that makes it hard for me to lose weight

Does RealGM count? :D
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,232

Post#77 » by AFM » Wed Aug 9, 2023 5:00 pm

nate33 wrote:
— Prayer & Meditation
— Breathing exercises
— Reading and writing
— Regular stretching
— Very little red meat

If you actually read Doc and PIF’s 5000 word essays to each other, sure it counts
JAR69
Senior
And1: 226

Post#78 » by JAR69 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:44 am

Zonkerbl wrote:
JAR69 wrote:Threw my back out today while vacuuming a couch. Literally couldn’t stand for a few minutes. Back to PT once it calms down.

Was finally back to mountain biking and hiking without discomfort. Sigh, old man.

If it's a muscle spasm some chiro might help, I had muscle spasms every six months since I was 19, nothing the doctor did ever did any good, except taking anti inflammatories that also give you heart disease. Well, sciatica stretches helped a little. But the chiro I went to in my forties fixed my muscle spasms right away no problem. Haven't had any since.

Thanks. I thought it was muscular, and it may be in part, but now I'm guessing nerve/spin. The back got worse, then it got better after a non-optional 4 hour drive (huh?), then suddenly my outer thigh and upper calf started hurting like mad - stabbing pains, no relief. Methinks it is sciatica. I've already started PT, going back tomorrow for his evaluation, plus a visit to the physician's assistant. It's a lot better today after sleeping on my back (and lying on it most of the day - great way to take work calls), but still not great.

That's all TMI, I know. But my spouse is sick of my kvetching, you're my only hope Obi-RealGM.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,439

Post#79 » by doclinkin » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:07 am

AFM wrote:
nate33 wrote:
— Prayer & Meditation
— Breathing exercises
— Reading and writing
— Regular stretching
— Very little red meat

If you actually read Doc and PIF’s 5000 word essays to each other, sure it counts

HA! :clown:

Ok fine. I will limit myself to twitter-length from now on.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:30 am

JAR69 wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:
JAR69 wrote:Threw my back out today while vacuuming a couch. Literally couldn’t stand for a few minutes. Back to PT once it calms down.

Was finally back to mountain biking and hiking without discomfort. Sigh, old man.

If it's a muscle spasm some chiro might help, I had muscle spasms every six months since I was 19, nothing the doctor did ever did any good, except taking anti inflammatories that also give you heart disease. Well, sciatica stretches helped a little. But the chiro I went to in my forties fixed my muscle spasms right away no problem. Haven't had any since.

Thanks. I thought it was muscular, and it may be in part, but now I'm guessing nerve/spin. The back got worse, then it got better after a non-optional 4 hour drive (huh?), then suddenly my outer thigh and upper calf started hurting like mad - stabbing pains, no relief. Methinks it is sciatica. I've already started PT, going back tomorrow for his evaluation, plus a visit to the physician's assistant. It's a lot better today after sleeping on my back (and lying on it most of the day - great way to take work calls), but still not great.

That's all TMI, I know. But my spouse is sick of my kvetching, you're my only hope Obi-RealGM.

Any numbness? Or just stabbing pains? Stabbing pains might be a pinched nerve in your back. Numbness is apparently very bad.

Return to Washington Wizards