Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,216

Re: Old Man Injuries & Remedies 

Post#21 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:34 pm

nate33 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:never liked jogging. don't know how dobro does 100 miles.

I like to run, but I start getting aches and pains if I put in more than 15 miles a week. If I put in any more than that, any advantage I gain in conditioning is offset by nagging aches and pains.

These days, I try to limit my workouts to less distance with more high intensity interval training. Once a week, I try to do four sets of 1-minute sprints (after a warm up, of course). It doesn't really matter if it's running, swimming, or elliptical. Just try and get the heart rate right up to the maximum (220 - age). Do one HIIT workout a week like that, plus lift twice a week, and that's a great foundation.

Everything beyond that is gravy. I try and play basketball twice a week, and maybe get in one more longer, steady-state run (or swim), but if life gets in the way, no biggie.

Ugh I did all that for awhile but it is SO BORING. It's a huge mental obstacle to working out when doing it is so tedious and unpleasant. HIIT. Peloton. Elliptical. Gag a maggot.

However, after doing a bunch of boring tedious stuff for a year and a half I'm finally healthy enough to start shooting hoops again so I've built all my workouts around that. Want to shoot hoops today? Ok, you have to do your pt knee strengthening exercises first. Half an hour of hoops is my reward for doing the tedious stuff.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 110

Post#22 » by W. Unseld » Fri Jul 7, 2023 6:38 pm

I will say, these days I can pretty quickly notice food effecting my nasal passages and making joints ache more. Costco sells a holiday cookie that should be called "pure gluten" and that kicks the allergies and the aching in pretty quickly so diet/fasting is underrated for dealing w/ailments.

As for chiro there is nothing better than a good chiro and nothing worse than a bad one, but even then the lower the injury on the back the harder it is to recover. I've got an excellent acupuncturist too that can get rid of just about any pain save for the knee pain. Hoping peptides work out, don't want to spend the money on a "wharton's jelly" shot (umblical chord stem cells etc) but might if pain keeps up.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#23 » by miller31time » Sun Jul 9, 2023 12:31 am

nate33 wrote:
miller31time wrote:Just had ACL reconstruction surgery and meniscus surgery 2 weeks ago and started PT yesterday. I’m 34. Younger me wouldn’t give two you-know-what’s about the long-term implications of my knee (and other body parts) but now I’m really getting nervous that I’m going to be dealing with knee problems for the rest of my life.

Take the rehab seriously. If you work at it, you can regain nearly full strength.

I blew out my ACL and MCL at age 39 while playing basketball. They snipped a portion of my hamstring muscle to create a new ACL. 6 months later, I was back to playing basketball, running and swimming. My knee has no problems whatsoever. I've been playing basketball on for the last 12 years.

They only noticeable thing is that the hamstring of my surgically repaired knee is a bit weaker. I just have less muscle mass to work with. When I do hamstring curls on the machine, I can always do about 25% more weight with my "good" knee than I can with the reconstructed knee. The effect is only noticeable when I lift. It makes no difference in everyday activity.

Thanks for the great advice (and encouragement)!

Yeah, the two most common things that have been said to me pre-surgery were (1) the work you put in rehabbing will determine if/when/how-well you recover and (2) take the medications exactly as prescribed.

Just finished my 2nd day of PT and I’m already feeling so much better and stronger with my knee. It’s amazing what they can do. I’m also putting in the time and effort at home which has been going well too.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,232

Post#24 » by AFM » Sun Jul 9, 2023 12:34 am

miller31time wrote:
nate33 wrote:
miller31time wrote:Just had ACL reconstruction surgery and meniscus surgery 2 weeks ago and started PT yesterday. I’m 34. Younger me wouldn’t give two you-know-what’s about the long-term implications of my knee (and other body parts) but now I’m really getting nervous that I’m going to be dealing with knee problems for the rest of my life.

Take the rehab seriously. If you work at it, you can regain nearly full strength.

I blew out my ACL and MCL at age 39 while playing basketball. They snipped a portion of my hamstring muscle to create a new ACL. 6 months later, I was back to playing basketball, running and swimming. My knee has no problems whatsoever. I've been playing basketball on for the last 12 years.

They only noticeable thing is that the hamstring of my surgically repaired knee is a bit weaker. I just have less muscle mass to work with. When I do hamstring curls on the machine, I can always do about 25% more weight with my "good" knee than I can with the reconstructed knee. The effect is only noticeable when I lift. It makes no difference in everyday activity.

Thanks for the great advice (and encouragement)!

Yeah, the two most common things that have been said to me pre-surgery were (1) the work you put in rehabbing will determine if/when/how-well you recover and (2) take the medications exactly as prescribed.

Just finished my 2nd day of PT and I’m already feeling so much better and stronger with my knee. It’s amazing what they can do. I’m also putting in the time and effort at home which has been going well too.

Miller you're my age, I thought you were WAY older, like PIF/CCJ. Maybe it's the "retired" under your name.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#25 » by miller31time » Sun Jul 9, 2023 12:39 am

AFM wrote:Miller you're my age, I thought you were WAY older, like PIF/CCJ. Maybe it's the "retired" under your name.

The fact that I only come here to curmudgeonly complain about everything about this team so that my wife doesn’t have to listen to me might have something to do with it.

Using words like “curmudgeonly” probably doesn’t help, either.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by W. Unseld » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:48 pm

W. Unseld wrote: Hoping peptides work out, don't want to spend the money on a "wharton's jelly" shot (umblical chord stem cells etc) but might if pain keeps up.

I am cautiously optimistic on the peptides, seems that formula had both BPC-157 and TB-500 in it. Gotta say in less than a week it's gone from waking me up several times a night to waking me up just once every other night despite playing tennis/squash/pickle (I'm too dumb to take a break). Oddly think my digestion issues have improved too.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:23 pm

W. Unseld wrote:
W. Unseld wrote: Hoping peptides work out, don't want to spend the money on a "wharton's jelly" shot (umblical chord stem cells etc) but might if pain keeps up.

I am cautiously optimistic on the peptides, seems that formula had both BPC-157 and TB-500 in it. Gotta say in less than a week it's gone from waking me up several times a night to waking me up just once every other night despite playing tennis/squash/pickle (I'm too dumb to take a break). Oddly think my digestion issues have improved too.

When I was playing two hours a day as a college student in the 90s I started getting really bad tendonitis, went to the pt and they were basically like "Are you a professional basketball player? Do you have a scholarship? No? Then stop playing basketball. Here, rub some dirt on it if you insist on us deigning to treat you" I was like, you suck and I'm never listening to you again.

Fast forward 30 years, I got diagnosed with arthritis in my knees right as I got healthy enough to shoot hoops again, was like, well, there goes that idea. But the pt was like "there's a physical activity you enjoy doing??? omg yes let's manage your knee arthritis in a way that allows you to do that, hell yes"

If you want to play tennis/squash/pickle they will enthusiastically help you manage your various ailments so you can do it, the way they think about "non athletes" like us is really different now
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,643

Re: Old Man Injuries, Bio-hacks & Remedies 

Post#28 » by pancakes3 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:07 pm

i've picked up golf as a way to stay off the courts while still getting exercise and it's opening up a whole new world of soreness and joint pain.
Bullets -> Wizards
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:30 pm

ow. my knees hurt today
AFM
General Manager

Post#30 » by AFM » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:43 pm

pause
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#31 » by bulletproof_32 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:41 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
i've thought about getting a pelaton but... seems too yuppie.

You can just use the app (for a fee) without buying the bike. It’s worth it IMO. I was skeptical and thought the same as you but I’m hooked, now.

Side note: For my 20th year work anniversary, my company reimburses employees $1500 on a gift of their choosing. This was in the midst of COVID and since I couldn’t go to the gym to workout/ play ball I ended up buying a bike (like everyone else) and was riding the W&O trail most days. When the weather got colder in the fall I pulled the trigger on the $1500 to buy a peloton. Thought it would just collect dust after a few months and would’ve never bought it if not for the work gift but I’ve used it/ the app ~5x/week for the last several years. Biking/ running/ boxing/ weights etc. I’m a fan.

W. Unseld and I have a mutual friend that never uses his (yes, I check his “stats”), so we could probably get you a discount if your interested in a bike :D

Edit to add: I’ll be 50 next year and have had 4 knee surgeries (same knee) from ball in my 30s, and the thing I appreciate most about the peloton is not having to limp around/ ice my knee after a workout.
Menace2Sobriety
Sophomore
And1: 78

Post#32 » by Menace2Sobriety » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:56 pm

Male in my 50s

Torn ACL, achilles, and patella tendon all playing soccer. Post surgery, post PT, my gait was still not the same leading to other injuries, backaches, knee pain...etc

I tried Rolfing. It’s not a typo. Meant to realign muscle sheathing over a 10 session plan. Pretty expensive and challenging to find good ‘rolfers’ but changed my life post surgery, and allowed me back on the pitch faster than imagined. I’ve done it after each procedure and periodically now I’m retired.

Highly recommend investigating.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by W. Unseld » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:29 pm

Menance you have me curious about Rolfing, will try.

Bulletproof—I have my guesses but I’m dying to know which mutual friend.

Knees-turn the treadmill off and walk backwards on it, can’t believe it’s helping but it seems to be (or it could be the BPC~157)
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#34 » by bulletproof_32 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:15 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Menance you have me curious about Rolfing, will try.

Bulletproof—I have my guesses but I’m dying to know which mutual friend.

Knees-turn the treadmill off and walk backwards on it, can’t believe it’s helping but it seems to be (or it could be the BPC~157)

I could be BLUNT and just say his name. Oh, I just did.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by W. Unseld » Tue Aug 1, 2023 4:43 am

bulletproof_32 wrote:

I could be BLUNT and just say his name. Oh, I just did.[/quote]

:lol: :lol:
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by W. Unseld » Tue Aug 1, 2023 4:46 am

New old man quandary—leg cramps/Charlie horses striking in the middle of the night and other in opportune times~`does anyone have any preventions beyon hydration, magnesium & stretching?
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,367

Post#37 » by dobrojim » Tue Aug 1, 2023 2:17 pm

I would recommend caution about remedies which are things you ingest.
There is likely a reason medical doctors don't often suggest them and it's
probably not some kind of conspiracy.

At my current age 66 I walk a whole lot more than I run and run at a fraction of the pace
I used to be able to. I'm now 15 months post total hip replacement.
In 2014 I had an opening wedge high tibial osteotomy about 18 months
after having arthroscopy for a partially torn meniscus (same knee, my left).
6 months later I raced for the first post-surgery time and completed a 50 miler
in a reasonably decent time not significantly different than other 50s.

Between 1999 and 2013 (year of bombing), I ran Boston every year but one (2009)
which I missed because I procrastinated sending in my race entry. That's 14x in
a 15 year window. I was never able to qualify for Boston again although came close
a couple times. They did make the standards more difficult since after 2013, doing
Boston became even more attractive for many marathoners.

In 2009 I did my first hundred finished the same race in 4 consecutive years.
Since there was a special recognition for 5 finishes, I really wanted that 5th
finish but DNF'd 4 times before finally getting it in 2019, a year in which the
finishing rate dipped to 48% from the usual 70% because of daytime temps
in the mid to high 90s. I finished DFL (dead freakin last) with less than 6
minutes to spare under the 30 hour time limit, one of my most satisfying races.
Also during those years between my 4th and 5th finish at VT100, I had
a heart issued diagnosed (brachycardia) and had a pacemaker installed.
It made a huge difference in my running. I had a great electrophysiologist
who understood me as a runner and chose a pacemaker that best
suited my needs.

I was supposed to 'run' the VT100 (km option) a few weeks ago. The flooding
in Vermont caused the race to be cancelled. I was offered the option of
transferring my entry to the VT50 which has a 50 km option with a 10.5
hour time limit. I'm going to try that. It's in the mountains and includes
an eff-ton of vertical (just like the hundred miler).

I'd have to admit that I no longer have nearly the same passion for running
I once did. I think part of that is simply how much pride I took in my running
when I was somewhat decent at it. Earlier this year I did my first race since
hip replacement, a half marathon with a 3 hour time limit. I finished in
3:16 so an UNofficial finish. I later thought to myself, wow, in my heyday
between 1999-2003, I ran a FULL marathon in 3:16 or less 3 times. That's
now ancient history.

But as I said, I often walk, typically after dinner, a distance of 4.5 - 5 miles
at a 17-19 min pace (mostly level ground) and sometimes throw in a little
running 1-1.5 miles at the end. I'm generally healthy and very grateful for
that.

I currently have 2 running friends battling cancer, one a little older than me
and one a little younger than me. There is little rhyme or reason why they
should be stricken and I'm not. I fear for them. They are both guys I have
great admiration for. It reminds me every day is a gift. One of the friends
recently announced that following a surgery and accompanied by wife
and adult children had a 'challenging' visit with his doctor/surgeon. He
was vague about what that means. Like I said, I fear for them.

Here is a song with lyrics I try to live by, written by Jesse Winchester
while he was dying of cancer entitled All That We Have is Now

A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Aug 1, 2023 3:22 pm

W. Unseld wrote:New old man quandary—leg cramps/Charlie horses striking in the middle of the night and other in opportune times~`does anyone have any preventions beyon hydration, magnesium & stretching?

Also bananas/potassium
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,578

Post#39 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 1, 2023 5:25 pm

W. Unseld wrote:New old man quandary—leg cramps/Charlie horses striking in the middle of the night and other in opportune times~`does anyone have any preventions beyon hydration, magnesium & stretching?

You may be overhydrating (which reduces the concentration of electrolytes in your system).

On the other hand, there really is very little scientific evidence that muscle cramps have anything to do with hydration at all.
AFM
General Manager

Post#40 » by AFM » Tue Aug 1, 2023 5:27 pm

Magnesium really is key here. Most americans are extremely deficient, mostly due to soil depletion, but also if you drink alcohol, you are probably completely deficient. What type of magnesium are you taking? I'd recommend buying a magnesium spray off amazon and using it on your legs to see if that helps the cramping.

Return to Washington Wizards