ImageImageImageImageImage

The Washington Commanders Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Re: The Washington Commanders Thread 

Post#821 » by tontoz » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:31 pm

I am actually glad that they drafted the best talent rather than reaching for need.

Daniels is a rookie. He might not play that much.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 849

Post#822 » by 9 and 20 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:04 pm

They may go full Process and start Mariotta and Bill Nye the Science Guy at left tackle.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,738

Post#823 » by gambitx777 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:00 pm

TGW wrote:
doclinkin wrote:I've checked out on the Commies since the last few years of the Snyder reign, but with new ownership I might be interested. Anyway that means this is my totally knee jerk reflex response, mostly uniformed:

Skinny quick QB who doesn't know how to slide, suspect offensive line to which they added only one pick and one UDFA invite. Not saying we've seen this movie before, but for a team whose Superbowl legacy is credited to their front line dominance, they never seem to learn that lesson. If you want a guy to develop at QB, you need to give him protection so he doesn't learn jittery feet and bad habits. There will always be a revolving door at QB until they build a solid core of big guys up front. Did they upgrade with free agent? I wasn't paying attention. If no then 11th year senior QB Sam Hartman better tape up every game, he's going to see action after they run through everyone else.

Wrong? Right? Educate me.

No you're not wrong. I said quite litrally this on the main Commanders site, and made a bunch of people BUTTHURT.

They're not going to be able to keep him upright with this line, which means a lot of RPO, which means your 200 lbs quarterback that struggles to slide is going to get lit up.
I mean I am in the middle. They did work to the O line. They signed two decent true centers, a pretty good guard and stromburg who's hurt will be moved to guard and he's pretty good and didn't get to play last year. so that's 4 players this line didn't have last year plus Coleman. That's 5 lineman that would be better than what we had last year. We are still short on tackles but I think it's improved.

That being said. I don't think it's smart to not have addressed it more if you're going to just put Daniels out there.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,642

Post#824 » by pancakes3 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:18 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Too many positive draft report cards, reminds me of the Sweat draft (though Sweat was obviously good).

i heard a bit of bad news from some guy on the ringer - that it was an ok job and lots of people want it to grade highly because it's a new owner/gm playing with a ton of picks. said that reached for a TE2 with Sinnot when we had other positions of need (i disagree that TE isn't a position of need, but i also agree that I'm not really jazzed on taking a pass-catching Kyle Juszczyk comp with a 2nd rounder), and reached for McCaffrey. On paper, it probably grades high because we took a lot of BPA later than when they were projected, which is fine, but fit/need wasn't a factor in the decisionmaking. Similar to free agency, it was a shotgun approach - just accumulate talent, plug the holes, and then address the position-specific needs next season after management sees the roster with their own eyes, which again, is a fair approach.
Bullets -> Wizards
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 462

Post#825 » by Tyrone Messby » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:42 pm

JD5 is going to be a day one starter. JJ will be starting on the bench in Minnesota. Maybe Maye too in New England but JD5 is that dude. Trust me.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#826 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:44 pm

Tyrone Messby wrote:JD5 is going to be a day one starter. JJ will be starting on the bench in Minnesota. Maybe Maye too in New England but JD5 is that dude. Trust me.

Agreed. Although I think Kingsbury will mix in a bunch of short drops and rpos to protect him, I do hope they add a decent vet tackle as well. Baktiari anyone?

LT: Bahktiari
LG: Willey or Allegretti
C: Badias
RG: Cosmi
RT: Coleman

Not exactly the Hogs but probably not league worst either
In Rizzo we trust
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#827 » by gambitx777 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:28 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Tyrone Messby wrote:JD5 is going to be a day one starter. JJ will be starting on the bench in Minnesota. Maybe Maye too in New England but JD5 is that dude. Trust me.

Agreed. Although I think Kingsbury will mix in a bunch of short drops and rpos to protect him, I do hope they add a decent vet tackle as well. Baktiari anyone?

LT: Bahktiari
LG: Willey or Allegretti
C: Badias
RG: Cosmi
RT: Coleman

Not exactly the Hogs but probably not league worst either
Bhaktiari would be a really solid move. He has a chance to rebound and from that injury and might have something left in the tank. Maybe he's retiring. But, I'd be down to sign him.

They lines had a lot of work done too it.
I'm dissapointed we didn't sign more undrafted free agent edge rushers. There were a couple I really liked Zion T-F and sundiata Anderson would have been dope.

Clearly we are going to treat the edge position by committy for now with vets and volume.

Our weapons are looking old. But having older vets with a rookie QB is a good idea they can negate some of the growing pains.
If crowder/terry/ertz/ekkler go down we might have issues. But we tried to get younger with the depth and I like that!

Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 371

Post#828 » by Silvie Lysandra » Wed May 1, 2024 2:21 pm

TGW wrote:
doclinkin wrote:I've checked out on the Commies since the last few years of the Snyder reign, but with new ownership I might be interested. Anyway that means this is my totally knee jerk reflex response, mostly uniformed:

Skinny quick QB who doesn't know how to slide, suspect offensive line to which they added only one pick and one UDFA invite. Not saying we've seen this movie before, but for a team whose Superbowl legacy is credited to their front line dominance, they never seem to learn that lesson. If you want a guy to develop at QB, you need to give him protection so he doesn't learn jittery feet and bad habits. There will always be a revolving door at QB until they build a solid core of big guys up front. Did they upgrade with free agent? I wasn't paying attention. If no then 11th year senior QB Sam Hartman better tape up every game, he's going to see action after they run through everyone else.

Wrong? Right? Educate me.

No you're not wrong. I said quite litrally this on the main Commanders site, and made a bunch of people BUTTHURT.

They're not going to be able to keep him upright with this line, which means a lot of RPO, which means your 200 lbs quarterback that struggles to slide is going to get lit up.

The OL is slightly below average, and was somewhat below average but not historically bad (Howell just has some of the worst pocket awareness as an NFL QB i've seen in a while and EB kept dropping him back hoping he'd improve with more reps - he never did) and imo solidly average if we do find a stopgap vet LT or Coleman shows out earlier than expected (young tackles tend to take a bit)

The real disasters spot on last year's line was LG and C and those have been addressed.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,883

Post#829 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 1, 2024 3:15 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
W. Unseld wrote:Too many positive draft report cards, reminds me of the Sweat draft (though Sweat was obviously good).

i heard a bit of bad news from some guy on the ringer - that it was an ok job and lots of people want it to grade highly because it's a new owner/gm playing with a ton of picks. said that reached for a TE2 with Sinnot when we had other positions of need (i disagree that TE isn't a position of need, but i also agree that I'm not really jazzed on taking a pass-catching Kyle Juszczyk comp with a 2nd rounder), and reached for McCaffrey. On paper, it probably grades high because we took a lot of BPA later than when they were projected, which is fine, but fit/need wasn't a factor in the decisionmaking. Similar to free agency, it was a shotgun approach - just accumulate talent, plug the holes, and then address the position-specific needs next season after management sees the roster with their own eyes, which again, is a fair approach.

Read on Twitter
?t=eZxSrWQ3lBpZUEyJNn2BTQ&s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,934

Post#830 » by TGW » Thu May 2, 2024 1:37 am

I also thought Sinnott and Sainristil was a bit of a reach but I've realized that the draft isn't about BPA at your pick, it's about getting your guy once the first domino falls. This year, it went QB, OT, WR, DL/Edge, CB, everything else. I will say that I absolutely wanted both players and I'm glad we got them. Everyone loves Newton too although the I struggle with getting a interior DL when the team has three of them that are rotation worthy. I hope that pick works out (actually I wouldn't be surprised in 5 years if Newton is the best player from this class).
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#831 » by gambitx777 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:17 pm

TGW wrote:I also thought Sinnott and Sainristil was a bit of a reach but I've realized that the draft isn't about BPA at your pick, it's about getting your guy once the first domino falls. This year, it went QB, OT, WR, DL/Edge, CB, everything else. I will say that I absolutely wanted both players and I'm glad we got them. Everyone loves Newton too although the I struggle with getting a interior DL when the team has three of them that are rotation worthy. I hope that pick works out (actually I wouldn't be surprised in 5 years if Newton is the best player from this class).
So, what are the biggest needs after the draft.

LT.
Edge.
Kicker
Punter.

We solved some issues in the draft and UDFA
We stocked up on CB and S. We bolstered LB
The DL. We did address tackle. We got two tall WR which I think was a need. QB obviously lol.

Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#832 » by Wizardspride » Thu May 2, 2024 6:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=rdAWwDjf8CWfHOeQDKy-aw&s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 606

Post#833 » by BearlyBallin » Fri May 3, 2024 2:16 pm

Bakhtiari will be 33 in September & has played 13 games the last three seasons. This makes me nervous. :-?

Donovan Smith will be 31 in June and has been healthy except for eight games with the Chiefs last season. He did return from the neck injury and played in the Chiefs playoff run to win the Super Bowl. Smith isn’t a star but he maybe be a short-term addition for 2024. He is also from Maryland. If that neck is healthy I like this idea.

Andrus Peat turns 31 in November. He played mostly guard, but at 6-foot-7, 316-pound Peat was a first round pick in 2015 as a tackle. He struggled early in his career but moved inside & was a three-time Pro Bowler. However, last season, Peat took over at left tackle for 11 games and played well. He’d be an excellent short-term addition. If he likes playing LT, I think this maybe my choice from available options now.

But I’d still keep my eyes on the waiver wire to see who’s cut June 1st. With so many OT drafted I’m wondering if some team cuts a vet to save money. :nod:
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,426

Post#834 » by doclinkin » Fri May 3, 2024 3:21 pm

BearlyBallin wrote: With so many OT drafted I’m wondering if some team cuts a vet to save money. :nod:

My thing as well. You drafted a Lamborghini QB at #2. A strength of his game is that he hits on long passes at above a 60%+ completion rate. Awesome. You put him next to a speed receiver in scary Terry who has outrun many of the balls thrown his direction in the past few years. Better, a perfect match for blowing the game open.

But for McLaurin to get time to sprint down field, you need to keep the QB clean upright and not sitting on the bench explaining where it hurts. A QB that can scramble should be a weapon not a necessity. When I hear how they mildly upgraded a crappy line by adding guys who were not kept by other teams, but now look to improve with other guys who were also let go, I check out. Same story, same reason we have never kept or developed QBs in DC. Blame the QBs we had, fine, but at no point since the Superbowls have we heard the Washington Football Team has the top ranked OL in the game.

The game is: big guys smash big guys, littler guys run around. QB+Offensive line are involved in every play. Skill position players are decoys for other skill players most of the time. But every single down there will be a line of sturdy beasts with their knuckles in the turf. Every play they will be involved for the first critical few seconds. Each Thanksgiving since Barry Sanders I'd watch the Detroit Lions get the snot knocked out of them by somebody. Losers every year. Suddenly they get the best OL in the game and what do you know, they win. It's not neurosurgery. If you want your QB to be the top centurian in the battle, give him some legionaries to shield him and keep his armor shiny.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#835 » by Wizardspride » Sat May 4, 2024 9:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=OVSpacq_qRfbir-6Zo5ENg&s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#836 » by Wizardspride » Sun May 5, 2024 3:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=Ti2ih_TQ-AbDjDLFYExMKg&s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#837 » by Wizardspride » Sun May 5, 2024 9:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=6ioi2qoEHGFBS3C7xVYGvg&s=19
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 110

Post#838 » by W. Unseld » Mon May 6, 2024 7:52 pm

doclinkin wrote:The game is: big guys smash big guys, littler guys run around. QB+Offensive line are involved in every play. Skill position players are decoys for other skill players most of the time. But every single down there will be a line of sturdy beasts with their knuckles in the turf. Every play they will be involved for the first critical few seconds. Each Thanksgiving since Barry Sanders I'd watch the Detroit Lions get the snot knocked out of them by somebody. Losers every year. Suddenly they get the best OL in the game and what do you know, they win. It's not neurosurgery. If you want your QB to be the top centurian in the battle, give him some legionaries to shield him and keep his armor shiny.

I generally subscribe to this but I don't think there is any doubt the interior of the line has improved, I'm with you on the exterior. The GM's inside the office refrain is apparently "we are doing everything for 2025" which means they should be able to draft an LT next year. And Jayden can run, I hear ya though, feels like we have seen this movie before but I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt due to new coach, new GM and new owner. Still, you would think they would see how succesful the Hogs were and take the hint.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,426

Post#839 » by doclinkin » Mon May 6, 2024 8:30 pm

W. Unseld wrote:I generally subscribe to this but I don't think there is any doubt the interior of the line has improved, I'm with you on the exterior.

Even more so then. You have a QB who tends to scramble outside the pocket, you want him to buy time with his feet for the long runner at wideout to get loose. You want to put some nimble and strong guys to bodyguard for him while he's roaming around loose. Seems like an option QB needs to have good options running with or ahead of him to divide the attention of the defenders. Or run them over. No?

I'll give benefit of the doubt, I just think a rookie QB with a spotlight on him and a reckless nature needs to be protected from himself above all. There's some monsters out there who will be hunting him. Especially if he shows a little success early and gets cocky.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#840 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 8, 2024 1:34 am

Read on Twitter
?t=ZJH4d17NfQYIQ6ewD1ZFJw&s=19

Return to Washington Wizards