ImageImageImageImageImage

The Washington Commanders Thread

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 609

Re: The Washington Commanders Thread 

Post#41 » by BearlyBallin » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:09 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Any rumors from joint practices? The only wins from the good guys my social media feeds show me is from our D-line, everything else looks bad but it's a feed and I tend to be negative

https://youtu.be/xlDvCC3zpNE

He’s upbeat & definitely a fan lol. But he follows the Commanders and knows the team.
My wife likes his dogs playing videos in the corner. So she doesn’t get too sick of me watching some of his videos lol.

Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#42 » by TGW » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:24 pm

The Ravens are the better team but the B&G held their own from what I saw and heard.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#43 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:54 am

Howell looked good tonight.

Wildgoose is terrible.

McLaurin hurt - not good.

No Allen and Payne and our D looks bad.

Love Bienemy
In Rizzo we trust
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#44 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:20 am

That was a fun preseason game
In Rizzo we trust
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,740

Post#45 » by gambitx777 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:15 am

I hope the defence is just a thing where they need to get into a grove but damn does Howell look game! I've compared him to some all time treats and his game looks really good!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#46 » by Rafael122 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:28 pm

I have no idea why the starting defense didn't play, it's a little weird but whatever. I'm not trying to hype up Howell but...he might be good. He doesn't need to be Mahomes, but the upside is there for 20 TDs and a handful of rushing TDs. I mean this as a compliment, he's Henicke but with an arm. If TH had any semblance of a throwing arm, he's a starter in this league.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
TGW
RealGM

Post#47 » by TGW » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:36 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I have no idea why the starting defense didn't play, it's a little weird but whatever. I'm not trying to hype up Howell but...he might be good. He doesn't need to be Mahomes, but the upside is there for 20 TDs and a handful of rushing TDs. I mean this as a compliment, he's Henicke but with an arm. If TH had any semblance of a throwing arm, he's a starter in this league.

100% that is what he is. Heineke minus the floating passes. I agree with you wholeheartedly that Heineke is a starter if he wasn't noodle armed.

I am thoroughly impressed with Howell. He keeps his eyes downfield before he checks down which is one of the toughest things for a young quarterback. I hope that they coach him up to slide more and avoid taking hits.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#48 » by gambitx777 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:44 am

TGW wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:I have no idea why the starting defense didn't play, it's a little weird but whatever. I'm not trying to hype up Howell but...he might be good. He doesn't need to be Mahomes, but the upside is there for 20 TDs and a handful of rushing TDs. I mean this as a compliment, he's Henicke but with an arm. If TH had any semblance of a throwing arm, he's a starter in this league.

100% that is what he is. Heineke minus the floating passes. I agree with you wholeheartedly that Heineke is a starter if he wasn't noodle armed.

I am thoroughly impressed with Howell. He keeps his eyes downfield before he checks down which is one of the toughest things for a young quarterback. I hope that they coach him up to slide more and avoid taking hits.
For those of us who are old enough to remember Joe before the leg injury. He reminds me a lot of him!

BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:39 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
TGW wrote:

For those of us who are old enough to remember Joe before the leg injury. He reminds me a lot of him!

Joey T was at least one or two inches shorter and 28 lbs lighter than Sam H. Joe returned punts his first year in DC under George Allen and played behind hall of fame Sonny & duck launcher Billy. I remember reading an article from Theismann that said he liked the roll out pass plays because it made it easier find a receiver since he didn’t have to see over/around the Hogs and find a passing lane.

Hopefully Howell can be the QB this team needs. I think there have been 11 QB’s that have played since Kirk Cousins. Howell definitely has my attention.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#50 » by gambitx777 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:14 am

BearlyBallin wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:
TGW wrote:

Joey T was at least one or two inches shorter and 28 lbs lighter than Sam H. Joe returned punts his first year in DC under George Allen and played behind hall of fame Sonny & duck launcher Billy. I remember reading an article from Theismann that said he liked the roll out pass plays because it made it easier find a receiver since he didn’t have to see over/around the Hogs and find a passing lane.

Hopefully Howell can be the QB this team needs. I think there have been 11 QB’s that have played since Kirk Cousins. Howell definitely has my attention.
Well Joe was 6'0 180-190 Sam's 6-1 225. But he looks like Joe his arm strength, the way he sees the field. He's a much better physically specimen than Joe but man if he can throw the ball like Joe we are gonna be just fine. He's got a good body for taking hits too!

BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#51 » by BearlyBallin » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:07 am

gambitx777 wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:For those of us who are old enough to remember Joe before the leg injury. He reminds me a lot of him!

Well Joe was 6'0 180-190 Sam's 6-1 225. But he looks like Joe his arm strength, the way he sees the field. He's a much better physically specimen than Joe but man if he can throw the ball like Joe we are gonna be just fine. He's got a good body for taking hits too!

Howell had a pass at the nfl combine clocked at 59 mph. Tops at the nfl combine. But I keep reading articles that say his foot work needs improvement.

~ Confucius about 500 BC
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#52 » by gambitx777 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:47 am

BearlyBallin wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:

Howell had a pass at the nfl combine clocked at 59 mph. Tops at the nfl combine. But I keep reading articles that say his foot work needs improvement.
I don't think that was a big big issue. I think he's worked on it and I think that came into question when he had his down year and that could have been his adjustment form a good ol and good running backs to bad ones the second year.

W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#53 » by W. Unseld » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:40 pm

Apparently Cooley says there is a lot to like on Howell but they were running one read concepts against simple defenses
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#54 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:24 pm

Quan Martin is terrible. What an inexcusably lousy second round pick
In Rizzo we trust
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#55 » by W. Unseld » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:57 am

Anyone catch any of the 3Rd preseason game? I wasn’t willing to download an $89 per month channel, why the heck wasn’t it on a normal channel or at least a popular streaming source?
Anywho, I’m hearing Kaz hurt his stock but the Penn State WR rookie looked great as did Quan.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by BearlyBallin » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:30 am

W. Unseld wrote:Anyone catch any of the 3Rd preseason game? I wasn’t willing to download an $89 per month channel, why the heck wasn’t it on a normal channel or at least a popular streaming source?
Anywho, I’m hearing Kaz hurt his stock but the Penn State WR rookie looked great as did Quan.

I watched a lot of it on NBC 4 here in Maryland.

Allen dropped 2 passes (either one would have been good for a first down) and forced the team to punt. Later in the game he muffled a punt but did recover it. He did have a nice kickoff return.

Tinsley looked good. Got credit for a touchdown reception but actually had a second touchdown reception ruled down at the one after review of the play. Bad call in my opinion. He was in.

Jake Fromm had some good plays as did Brisett.

~ Confucius about 500 BC
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#57 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:49 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
W. Unseld wrote:Anyone catch any of the 3Rd preseason game? I wasn’t willing to download an $89 per month channel, why the heck wasn’t it on a normal channel or at least a popular streaming source?

I watched a lot of it on NBC 4 here in Maryland.

Allen dropped 2 passes (either one would have been good for a first down) and forced the team to punt. Later in the game he muffled a punt but did recover it. He did have a nice kickoff return.

Tinsley looked good. Got credit for a touchdown reception but actually had a second touchdown reception ruled down at the one after review of the play. Bad call in my opinion. He was in.

Jake Fromm had some good plays as did Brisett.

I watched it all. Yes, I’m that nerd who loves preseason… roster battles, unconventional strategy, BMitch as color commentator, etc.

IMO, Allen was a virtual lock before last night’s game, but I think he played his way off. Shame. Dude’s got a ton of potential. But you can’t drop three balls and expect to make the team.

Martin sux. Holmes is good - but maybe off because the Commies won’t give up on a 2nd round pick so soon.

We’ll end up cutting atleast one good receiver, one good d lineman (Toohill?) and one good db.

Meanwhile, as we all knew, our OL and LB rooms aren’t great.

Last thing - I think they keep Fromm. I would given the new third QB eligible rule.
In Rizzo we trust
TGW
RealGM

Post#58 » by TGW » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:29 pm

Get youtube TV.

The kid from Penn State got open alot. He seperated himself from the bunch.

Dyami Brown is terrible.

I also like the little running back. He's so shifty and gets tough yards. He's better than Gore and has looked better than Rodriguez IMO.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#59 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:59 pm

TGW wrote:

Get youtube TV.

The kid from Penn State got open alot. He seperated himself from the bunch.

Dyami Brown is terrible.

I also like the little running back. He's so shifty and gets tough yards. He's better than Gore and has looked better than Rodriguez IMO.

Yep. I like Paterson a lot… but I don’t think he survives the cut. RR never cuts his draft picks and Rodriguez is pretty good.
In Rizzo we trust
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#60 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:07 am

Sure enough, Paterson out.

No one else of any note in this first round. Reach draft pick Daniels on IR. Opens the door to keep 9 OL men and 3QBs.
In Rizzo we trust

Return to Washington Wizards