ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part III)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part III) 

Post#1141 » by LyricalRico » Thu Mar 5, 2009 1:08 pm

spaceman_E wrote:Does anyone else agree that it's BS how all these teams are buying out quality players and the good teams basically get them for free?

In a way, I guess you could say it's a way for good teams with high payrolls getting around the cap. They can avoid spending money in the offseason and pick up re-inforcements in time for a playoff run. But it only helps them for a few months. The Spurs won't spend the money to re-sign Gooden. Same with Cleveland and Joe Smith. Boston might be able to afford Moore but even that's in doubt.

It would be different if a team like the Wiz waived Jamison and he signed a multi-year minimum salary deal with a contender because he was still getting $50M from us. But if the guy is going to be a free agent in 6 weeks any way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,542

Post#1142 » by closg00 » Thu Mar 5, 2009 1:18 pm

Portland is getting an NBDL franchise. Talk about the rich getting richer. You think Portland is stock-piling talent now, this NBDL franchise will be their new development playground & icing on the cake.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 379

Post#1143 » by Benjammin » Fri Mar 6, 2009 1:17 pm

I had to chuckle at the Wiretap story about Nellie wanting Crawford to opt out. Of course he wants him to do that, to get out from under 19 million or so for the next two years. Crawford would have to be a complete idiot to opt out of those last two years.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#1144 » by spaceman_E » Fri Mar 6, 2009 4:18 pm

Yeah Rico, but they also get those players for the playoffs and you didn't think of how it's basically obvious tanking for the team who releases that player. If we have to sit through AJ, Darius and Mike James for 100 minutes per night then this way of tanking shouldn't be allowed.
You don't win friends with salad.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1145 » by LyricalRico » Fri Mar 6, 2009 4:35 pm

spaceman_E wrote:Yeah Rico, but they also get those players for the playoffs and you didn't think of how it's basically obvious tanking for the team who releases that player. If we have to sit through AJ, Darius and Mike James for 100 minutes per night then this way of tanking shouldn't be allowed.

I see where you're trying to go but I don't see Gooden or Smith helping their former teams put more games in the win column. A last place team waiving non-impact guys who are going to be FA's anyway doesn't concern me (I say "non-impact" from the perspective of helping a last place team win more games). Now when a team that's out of the playoff race but still fairly competitive starts waiving good players with multi-year deals, then I start having a problem.
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#1146 » by Zerocious » Sat Mar 7, 2009 12:04 am

whats the deal with nellie and crawford?
He Hate Me
Starter
And1: 2

Marcus Williams 

Post#1147 » by He Hate Me » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:08 pm

I think we should sign him and send Mike James to the end of the bench. Let Marcus and Javaris fight it out for the starting spot and challenge each other in practice. Get Young to play opposite them, start Domonic Blatche and Mcgee in the front court. It is time.
I'm just trying to get into heaven, it's not like I'm gonna run for Jesus.
jarrettjackfan
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Marcus Williams 

Post#1148 » by jarrettjackfan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:26 pm

It's always a possibility, but I don't think it's happening.

First, they have Crittenton who they want to play, and I think they want him to be their future point guard. Sure Williams could fit in as a backup, but I just don't see him really enjoying it in Washington.

Second, Arenas will be coming back next season, and he'll be the starting point guard, so you look at where Williams would end up and he would be at best the 3rd string point guard, and I know that's not something that he wants to be.

Third, the Wizards wont' spend any money to get a player this late in a losing season. I think Williams will want a fairly nice contract, and I just don't see the Wizards wanting to spend more than the minimum.

That's just what I think, maybe I'm wrong, but I think I probably have the right idea.
http://realsportszone.com/forum/index.php
Check out this all sports fan site. I'm The Lone Granger there.

WELCOME TO INDIANA DARREN COLLISON!
closg00
RealGM

Post#1149 » by closg00 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:37 pm

I am completely open to trying-out back-up PGs (Bring in Will Conroy)

and a good IBTL to ya sir.
yungal07
Banned User

Post#1150 » by yungal07 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:54 pm

IBTM...
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,382

Post#1151 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 pm

Marcus Williams is probably the worst defender in the league.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,785

Post#1152 » by Rafael122 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:48 am

Is it too early to call Oden a bust?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
closg00
RealGM

Post#1153 » by closg00 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:11 pm

Wow, the Knicks plugged Larry Hughes right into the starting line-up and he's off and running & gunning....his numbers so-far have been very good.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,115

Post#1154 » by Dat2U » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:16 pm

jarrettjackfan wrote:Sure Williams could fit in as a backup, but I just don't see him really enjoying it in Washington.

...where Williams would end up and he would be at best the 3rd string point guard, and I know that's not something that he wants to be.

... I think Williams will want a fairly nice contract

...That's just what I think, maybe I'm wrong, but I think I probably have the right idea.

Gotta disagree, strongly. Williams will happy to land ANY NBA job right now. The fact is, he's a barely passable NBA player. Those type of guys don't get to choose where they want to go nor do they receive a "fairly nice contract" for below average play.

Nate33 is right. Williams is quite possibly the worst defender in the entire league. I said he'd be as much back before he got drafted. He's a bad athlete. He couldn't defend at UConn. He can't create off the dribble. He's simply too slow to be a threat on this level. At best he's a 3rd string/NBDL type. He'll bring the ball up court, manage the offense and get the team into its sets but that's about it.

Juan Dixon brings more to the table than this guy.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#1155 » by MJG » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:52 pm

Post-all-star break, per game, Troy Murphy is putting up 19.8 points, 13.8 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 0.8 blocks, 0.8 steals, 2.8 threes on 48.5% shooting, 4.3 free throws on 84.6% shooting, and only 1.9 turnovers in 36.8 minutes. Not bad!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1156 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:16 pm

MJG wrote:Post-all-star break, per game, Troy Murphy is putting up 19.8 points, 13.8 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 0.8 blocks, 0.8 steals, 2.8 threes on 48.5% shooting, 4.3 free throws on 84.6% shooting, and only 1.9 turnovers in 36.8 minutes. Not bad!

I've always liked his game. He's a perimeter shooting big who also eats up rebounds. At first glance you could say he's like Jamison but he's a much lower usage player who's younger and has actual PF size. If he were making 2/3 less he'd be much more appreciated IMO.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1157 » by LyricalRico » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:27 pm

John Salmons has been great for Chicago since the trade. He's been starting at SF with Gordon at SG and it's been working out great for them. They already want to trade Hinrich but could their recent chemisty make them think about trading Deng so Salmons can stay at SF and also re-upping Gordon over the summer?
closg00
RealGM

Post#1158 » by closg00 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:05 pm

LyricalRico wrote:John Salmons has been great for Chicago since the trade. He's been starting at SF with Gordon at SG and it's been working out great for them. They already want to trade Hinrich but could their recent chemisty make them think about trading Deng so Salmons can stay at SF and also re-upping Gordon over the summer?

I have to admit that Salmons wasn't on my radar until we played the pulls, I started paying attention to his numbers and the dude has been solid.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,014

Post#1159 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:25 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2009031528

Pops Mensah-Bonsu scored a career-high 21 points .....

The unheralded Mensah-Bonsu had four dunks among his five baskets, went 11-for-13 from the line and added eight rebounds.

“He had the game of his life against us,” Indiana swingman Danny Granger said. “Hats off to him but we can’t really let that happen.”
Bye bye Beal.
yungal07
Banned User

Post#1160 » by yungal07 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:27 am

Anyone else think Francisoc Garcia would fit in nicely as a guard next to Arenas? He plays good defense, he's a pretty decent shooter, and he handles the ball well. He's Salmons-lite.

Return to Washington Wizards