ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part III)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,072

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part III) 

Post#1421 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:26 pm

Carter and Ryan Anderson, a very good three point shooter and rebounder at 6'10"; in exchange for Battie, Alston, and Courtney Lee. (Wizards could have probably offered Etan, James, and Young for Vince).

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... ce_carter/

That trade did nothing but make Orlando tougher. Putting a kid like Anderson out there at C gives them some serious pick and pop that Shaq won't cover.
Bye bye Beal.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#1422 » by yungal07 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Interesting move by Orlando. I like it. There's a ton of offensive firepower there in Orlando.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,455

Post#1423 » by mhd » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:30 pm

If I were Orlando, I would have tried to trade for Nash (Nelson+Lee+filler) but that would have been unlikely.

This is a very good move (especially getting Anderson). They need to get Hedo back though. He's their only dependable ball handler in clutch situations. I don't see any way Cleveland stops Orlando now.

I do think the Wizards match up well though. Haywood has always played Howard tough.
KevinFCheng
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#1424 » by KevinFCheng » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Carter and Ryan Anderson, a very good three point shooter and rebounder at 6'10"; in exchange for Battie, Alston, and Courtney Lee. (Wizards could have probably offered Etan, James, and Young for Vince).

That trade did nothing but make Orlando tougher. Putting a kid like Anderson out there at C gives them some serious pick and pop that Shaq won't cover.

It's kinda sad really. We could've gotten VC with that deal and kept the 5th pick.
RealGM

Post#1425 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:38 pm

KevinFCheng wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Carter and Ryan Anderson, a very good three point shooter and rebounder at 6'10"; in exchange for Battie, Alston, and Courtney Lee. (Wizards could have probably offered Etan, James, and Young for Vince).

It's kinda sad really. We could've gotten VC with that deal and kept the 5th pick.

Hey, but we got Miller and or Foye for one year, possibly more if they're resigned. Minus the pick. Neither's as good as Carter. But don't sleep on Ernie. :-?
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1426 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:42 pm

Outside of the Wizards this has been one exciting offseason. Mega-deals going on out there.
Bye bye Beal.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#1427 » by queridiculo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:42 pm

KevinFCheng wrote:It's kinda sad really. We could've gotten VC with that deal and kept the 5th pick.

How exactly would we have done that? Washington couldn't have sent anybody expendable that equals the potential of Lee and the production of Alston.
KevinFCheng
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#1428 » by KevinFCheng » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Don't forget NJ gave up Ryan Anderson as well. He had a very solid rookie season last year and the Nets gave him up. I don't think Young has much trade value as Lee but it's close. If we added #32 and some cash without taking Anderson, it could've been easily done.
RealGM

Post#1429 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:46 pm

hermitkid wrote:
KevinFCheng wrote:It's kinda sad really. We could've gotten VC with that deal and kept the 5th pick.

How exactly would we have done that? Washington couldn't have sent anybody expendable that equals the potential of Lee and the production of Alston.

Bull.

Young has as much potential as Lee.

James has an expiring contract that's every bit as appealing as Rafer to a team that has Devin Harris at PG.

Battie means NOTHING to that team when they've got Yi and whoever they draft (I think Blair). They're set with Lopez at C. Wizards could have just as easily traded Etan (prior to yesterday)

The Nets did this to clear cap to pursue Lebron. They did this to give Carter a Ray Allen deal, to reward Vince with a similar chance for a title. Hell, they GAVE Anderson away.

They could have dealt with Washington.
Bye bye Beal.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1430 » by miller31time » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:48 pm

I hope the Magic/Nets trade pushes EG to make a more serious move for Amare. Even if it takes not only Jamison but McGee, Young, etc.

I'd almost be willing to part with Butler instead of Jamison if I could be convinced we'd trade Antawn within the next two seasons.

Really, the most important thing is getting Amare. Then you build around him and Arenas.
RealGM

Post#1431 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:49 pm

I don't even want Amare, now.

The Magic will still kill the Wizards, even with Amare.

The Cavs have Shaq for Ben Wallace, and will still pulverize the Wizards.

Now, I'm thinking Ernie made his bed and needs to lie in 45-50 wins at best and an early playoff out.
Bye bye Beal.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1432 » by JWizmentality » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Damn, some of you are a bunch of whiny babies. Who gives a funk about Vince Carter really? Like we needed more firepower. Vince Carter is on the downside of his career.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#1433 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:52 pm

^ Maybe the Nets just like Lee better than Young (I know I do). Also, they can still flip Battie and Alston much easier than the expirings we would have sent. You also have to consider from a Wiz perspective that maybe they didn't want to add Carter's contract. Orlando has already been to the Finals and has come out and said they would be going for broke to win a title.

I do admit to being surprised that they included Anderson. I would have thought it more likely they would have included Sean Williams. Now they don't have to change anything when Lewis sits since Anderson has the same range. Assuming that they re-sign Gortat, they are the best team in the league IMO.
RealGM

Post#1434 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:52 pm

If Orlando had Vince Carter to go against Kobe, as opposed to Courtney Lee and Micheal Pietrus, Orlando would probably have won. Lee's missed layup would have been a dunk by Carter. Vince is a dog at times but Kobe can't stop him when they go head-to-head.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1435 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:00 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Damn, some of you are a bunch of whiny babies. Who gives a funk about Vince Carter really? Like we needed more firepower. Vince Carter is on the downside of his career.

So you're saying that Foye, Young, and Mike Miller is better than Vince Carter plus the #5 pick that could be Steph Curry or Rubio with James traded?

JWiz, I'm not a whiny baby. Like badinage, I pretty much bleed for this team.

Geez, eight years ago I didn't like the Kwame drafting. Before that I hated the Ben Wallace for Ike Austin and others deal. I HATED CWebb for Thorpe and Richmond. I said Rip for Stack was wrong. I said don't draft Pecherov, Millsap's better. Said I thought Nick Young was not at all bright on draft night. Even giving Javale an F- was strong, but it ends up (by the same logic used to down Pecherov) that McGee didn't even start for a 19-win team. He WAS terrible defensively, as I said on draft night.

I am simply underwhelmed and almost devastated that guys like Jefferson, Carter, and Shaq all went for less than what the Wizards sent to get Foye and Miller on one-year rentals.

I'm also going to flat out say I think those calling me or others who are really pssed right now whiners are just mad and can't handle legitimately bad news.

Carter's no more on the downside than Allen was before he got traded to Boston, JWiz.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1436 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:08 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ Maybe the Nets just like Lee better than Young (I know I do). Also, they can still flip Battie and Alston much easier than the expirings we would have sent. You also have to consider from a Wiz perspective that maybe they didn't want to add Carter's contract. Orlando has already been to the Finals and has come out and said they would be going for broke to win a title.

I do admit to being surprised that they included Anderson. I would have thought it more likely they would have included Sean Williams. Now they don't have to change anything when Lewis sits since Anderson has the same range. Assuming that they re-sign Gortat, they are the best team in the league IMO.

You like him better than Young now, but about 1 1/2years ago I didn't hear you or anybody else agree with me when I said I liked Lee better than Young. I think Young's scoring gives him just as good potential, but I much prefer Lee's defense and scrapiness.

OF COURSE the Wizards didn't want Vince's contract and I really think they're dopes. Give the moon to Gil when he doesn't play for 2 years and I predicted he would be hurt, now they're on the cheap.

Lyrical, why couldn't they take on Vince for a year and win as much as possible? Not wanting Carter's deal is just dopey to me. That guy's better than Miller of Foye by a lot.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#1437 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I am simply underwhelmed and almost devastated that guys like Jefferson, Carter, and Shaq all went for less than what the Wizards sent to get Foye and Miller on one-year rentals.

One thing I think you have to also consider is that perhaps these are reactionary deals. If Cleveland doesn't get Shaq, does Orlando even pick up the phone to inquire about Carter? And if NJ doesn't see the Wiz and Hawks adding pieces, do they even decide to blow it up and make Carter available? And if those teams are making reactions, then so can we.

And then there's the possibility that Hedo is seeking the max and they don't want to give it to him. So they are essentially trading Turkgolu for Carter, which is another thing altogether. Even if they do keep Hedo, it could always end up being a chemistry disaster (which is why some on this board didn't want Carter in the first place).

Let's just stay calm and see how things play out.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#1438 » by Wizards2Lottery » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:16 pm

It's Amare/Bosh or bust now. If it comes at the sake of Butler then so be it. We simply cannot contend with this roster beyond the second round.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,574

Post#1439 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:17 pm

It looks like EG blew his wad too early. I don't understand why he rushed into the trade before draft day. He couldn't even convince Minnesota to give up the #18 or absorb Stevenson. If nothing else, he should have made them sweat a little by waiting a few days to pull the trigger. Who knows? A better offer might have come along in subsequent days - or maybe Minnesota caves and agrees to absorb Stevenson. Or maybe, Rubio falls into our laps and we have a better trading chip. Instead, EG panicked and pulled the trigger two days before the draft.

I'm generally a supporter of EG, but this time, I'm pretty disappointed.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#1440 » by closg00 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:24 pm

nate33 wrote:It looks like EG blew his wad too early. I don't understand why he rushed into the trade before draft day. He couldn't even convince Minnesota to give up the #18 or absorb Stevenson. If nothing else, he should have made them sweat a little by waiting a few days to pull the trigger. Who knows? A better offer might have come along in subsequent days - or maybe Minnesota caves and agrees to absorb Stevenson. Or maybe, Rubio falls into our laps and we have a better trading chip. Instead, EG panicked and pulled the trigger two days before the draft.

I'm generally a supporter of EG, but this time, I'm pretty disappointed.

:nod: You beat me too-it Nate, couldn't have said it better.

Return to Washington Wizards