ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Wizards Draft Thread: Version 2.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,449

Official Wizards Draft Thread: Version 2.0 

Post#1 » by mhd » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:36 pm

Since the previous draft thread dissappeared, I'll start up a new one.
johnbragg
Senior
And1: 0

Re: Official Wizards Draft Thread: Version 2.0 

Post#2 » by johnbragg » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:28 pm

Roy Hibbert Roy Hibbert Roy Hibbert. (Unless he's off the board, duh.)

There's no way he is a less than adequate backup NBA center. Defensive presence when Haywood is on the bench for 14-16 minutes a night. Headstart on the offense from JT3.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#3 » by BruceO » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:34 pm

yeah I agree that Hibbert is definately one option, theres potentially good PF's at that position in Donte green and Speights (who I think is the better prospect) and Darell Arthur. Theres also going to be Batum who is available. All who might work out well and make this team a smooth sexy team as far as roster is concerned, but as far as needs go I think Hibbert and Alexander should be our best option. He has the tools to be good defensively, He has excellent Athleticism and strenght he can be the guy we go to to deal with Lebron and now Beasley in the east. He can also deal with Pierce, rashad and Turkoglu in some days. Also he runs really fast.
He has some skills in scoring and gets good elevation on his shot, should be able to help defensively as well. So if he's not Joey graham he has that size and strength that Artest and Battier have, that makes them elite defenders. He has something we've been looking for for years and been overadjusting to compensate for lack of it. We should never have a Stevenson on Lebron scenario to prove Stevensons masculinity.
So my picks are Alexander and Hibbert, they both work towards the grand scheme of things of having us become a team with the pieces able to execute defensive schemes
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Post#4 » by Dat2U » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:34 am

Just say Yes!
1. C Marresse Speights...Put excellent numbers as a 2nd yr player. Good athlete w/ work ethic.
2. SF Joe Alexander...A bit of a gym rat. Excellent athlete. Needs to develop his range & floor game.
3. SF Nicolas Batum...Elite talent. Dissapointed overseas. Has a role player mentality but can do it all.
4. C Roy Hibbert...Huge. Slow. Skilled low post scorer. Good footwork. Knows Princeton offense.
5. SF Chase Budinger...Good athlete with alot of skills. Knows how to score. Defense is an issue.

Just say No!
1. C Kosta Koufos...KFB 2.0; No heart, weak mentality.
2. C Javale McGee...Can't, won't play D; Effort is suspect.
3. SF Brandon Rush...Jarvis 2.0; Coming off knee injury; can't create own shot.
4. SF Donte Greene...soft. Relies on jumper too much. Needs to go back to school.
5. PG Mario Chalmers...living off tourney play. Can't create shots for himself or others, can't finish.

Thoughts on a few others:
C DeAndre Jordan...excellent athleticism. Little to no skill. Work ethic questions...I have my doubts.
PG Tywon Lawson...quick and explosive. Not ready for the NBA. Questionable decision maker.
PF Richard Hendrix...Physical player. Very good length. Quick feet. Comparable to Maxiell IMO.
PF Darrell Arthur...Reminds me alot of Joe Smith. Very skilled, good length. Rebounding is an issue.
C Robin Lopez...Good athlete. Projects as a good defender. Not very skilled but works hard.

2nd rounders who will surprise:
PF D.J. White...skilled with 15 ft. Good feel around the basket. Projects a decent role player.
SF Bill Walker...excellent athlete. Good handles. Tried to do too much at KSU. Underrated.
C Omer Asik...played very well against better comp overseas. Not skilled but good athlete.
SG J.R. Giddens...good athlete with solid handles. Projects as a good rebounder for his position.
PG Sean Singletary...Excellent feel for the game. IMO has PG instincts but UVA needed him to score.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,449

Post#5 » by mhd » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:46 am

I have fallen for a recent workout guy Rodrique Beaubois. He's got better measurables than any PG in this draft (Including Rose). He'll be a late 1st IMO. I'd try and snag a 2nd first rounder and stash him for a year. He's got Nick Young esque wingspan for a 6'2 PG (6-10).

On Hibbert. NO! I'd rather have Robin Lopez, who is much more active if we go big. We don't need more scoring.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#6 » by BruceO » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:39 am

mhd wrote:I have fallen for a recent workout guy Rodrique Beaubois. He's got better measurables than any PG in this draft (Including Rose). He'll be a late 1st IMO. I'd try and snag a 2nd first rounder and stash him for a year. He's got Nick Young esque wingspan for a 6'2 PG (6-10).

On Hibbert. NO! I'd rather have Robin Lopez, who is much more active if we go big. We don't need more scoring.

Hibbert actually if added will contribute more defensively. He managed to play against Oden effectively, but this could have been because Oden had the injured right hand. Either way, HIbbert at 7 2' is a legit center. He hasn't even bulked up yet. He'd make a legitimate backup for Haywood and we can finally move Blatche to the PF spot.
The only PF i can see us taking is Mareese speights, he's in a good program that brought out Noah and that Atlantan center whos name escapes me cause its late at night. He's given good comparable numbers and has the benefit of predecessers telling him what to work on. He says his game is like rasheeds (without the issues).

My primary concern is equipping ourselves for cleveland and Alexander is the primary prospect to deal with lebron. I also like batum but I don't see him helping in those scenarios even though i think he's really skilled and should go higher to teams that don't have Lebron issues.

As far as the prototypes at one point in the season I was saying we need a big PF cause all the teams thats won in recent Past had one in PF spot or moved to the C. This year look at the final four with Rasheed, Garnett, Duncan and Gasol. I'm looking at the elite teams and wondering where the separation comes in. We have an elite Pg, a serviceable center, an elite wing in caron, We have jamison whos also good and I wish we could play from now on at the SF the way LA will play Odom. I think we are one good PF away from being in the finals and being competitive. Regardless we need a complete team defensively to be able to execute schemes.
Nick needs to become that constant threat from the SG spot to put pressure on opposing teams, if not I think caron can play the SG if necessary and bring in Joe alexander as the SF to guard lebron. He's as intense and tough and I think he will improve alot being the gym rat that he is. Theres something to be said about being a blue color worker.
The idea behind drafting Hibbert on the flipside would be to free Blatche up to play PF and he can be that prototype we are looking for if he pans out. Meanwhile Hibbert comes in under the idea that we will constantly have a defensive precense in the paint despite how much foul trouble our centers are in.
All the rest of the prospects good or not I don't think fit into the grand scheme of things. I am taking a long look at Batum, he's known to be not aggresive but is skilled. I also worry about how soft he might be, pulling out cause he got poked in the eye or something. I don't think he competes. Someone who competes despite being hurt in that environment with alot of teams watching would want to be the best there. To complete the act of the audition and pass it.
Cole
Freshman

Post#7 » by Cole » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Might Singletary be worth a second round pick? He has the speed and the skills and the Wiz can give him time to improve his decision-making behind Arenas and Daniels.
Pollinator
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by Pollinator » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:52 pm

johnbragg wrote:Roy Hibbert Roy Hibbert Roy Hibbert. (Unless he's off the board, duh.)

There's no way he is a less than adequate backup NBA center. Defensive presence when Haywood is on the bench for 14-16 minutes a night. Headstart on the offense from JT3.

I can't believe the mocks now that have Big Roy going late teens to late first round. Some GM has to be watching tape of the game against OSU and Oden and thinking he's worth a lottery pick. Even if that was a year ago. I would be pretty psyched if he were there at 18.

The only other guy mentioned in this thread I've seen for more than 5 minutes is DJ White, who was a beast in the low post last summer against Argentina (Pan Am Games?) He would be a steal in the late first/early second round, and the rumors about a promise from Dumars and the Pistons would be in line with that.

Edited to add: just saw the latest update from draftexpress that basically says the same thing about Roy, and that he is now impressing teams on and off the court. We may have to trade up to get him.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#9 » by Soup's Uncle » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:18 pm

1st Round = Hibbert
2nd Round = A point guard
F Street = Wall Street
MF23
Veteran

Post#10 » by MF23 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:57 pm

Bill Walker has no business being a second round pick. He is without a doubt lottery worthy. Talent wise Rose, Bayless and Jordan and maybe Beasley have higher upsides. If he didn't go to KSU and had handled his knee injury with more maturity he'd be more appealing to most. The kid plays defense with effort and can board well with his length. He has the sf game with the length of a pf. I have no doubt he'd play well with the Wizards as a 10 min guy off the bench. He and Nick Young could essentially dominate the perimeter together with their length and ability to move. It takes 24 months to get back to full strength after a knee ligament reconstruction. Look, IMO his talent is a steal outside of the lottery. 100% no problem with him at 18. He could eventually be Eddie Jordans new glue guy but with more talent than his predecessore. At 18 the Wizards have a chance to draft a future starter. There are 5 or 6 guys who look to be outside of the lottery that could become starters in the league.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#11 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:04 pm

MF23 wrote:Bill Walker has no business being a second round pick. He is without a doubt lottery worthy. Talent wise Rose, Bayless and Jordan and maybe Beasley have higher upsides. If he didn't go to KSU and had handled his knee injury with more maturity he'd be more appealing to most. The kid plays defense with effort and can board well with his length. He has the sf game with the length of a pf. I have no doubt he'd play well with the Wizards as a 10 min guy off the bench. He and Nick Young could essentially dominate the perimeter together with their length and ability to move. It takes 24 months to get back to full strength after a knee ligament reconstruction. Look, IMO his talent is a steal outside of the lottery. 100% no problem with him at 18. He could eventually be Eddie Jordans new glue guy but with more talent than his predecessore. At 18 the Wizards have a chance to draft a future starter. There are 5 or 6 guys who look to be outside of the lottery that could become starters in the league.

I guess you have not heard but he got a tear on his meniscus in a recent work out yesterday.
MF23
Veteran

Post#12 » by MF23 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:10 pm

Wow his injury pattern is brutal. He would be better off going back to school and proving himself. The only problem I'm having here is how did he and CDR pay for Tim Grover workouts? Players from KSU and Memphis having money to pay for that raise questions for me.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#13 » by newslowsad » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:43 pm

I'd have a hard time passing on Singletary if he is there in the second round. Love his game.
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#14 » by go'stags » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:01 pm

Stealing Dat's format, but not results [in no particular order]...

Just say yes...

-Bill Walker-I agree completely with the poster above who advocated Walker. As long as it isn't a major meniscus tear, then I would want him. A slightly torn meniscus can be healed in about 2 months [speaking from experience]. If it is a Gilbert like tear then i wouldn't draft him.

Mario Chalmers- Some say hes Jaque Vaughn, but he is a much, much, much better outside shooter. that alone makes him a much more valuable player. How many times this year did AD get a wide open look from the outside, but passed it up cuz he cant shoot? Chalmers will knock those down.

Marreesse Speights-haven't seen much of him, but it seems like this is a choice with major upside and could be a legit starter in the league, possibly more.

Roy Hibbert-Iv changed my tune on him. No way he doesn't at least turn into a serviceable player, with the potential for much more.

Richard Hendrix- Most know that Iv been high on him for a long time, and I still am, especially after his measurements. Is much more skilled than Maxiell, hes more comparable to a Milsap, or, if in the right situation and hard work, Elton Brand.

Just say no.....

Joe Alexander- I'm just really not a fan of him. Sorry, but theres no way he is the one you put on Lebron. defense is his weak point, as in lateral quickness. In terms of offense, he has a below average first step, even for the college game. No way he will be able to create in the NBA. Caron doesn't have a great first step either, but Alexander doesn't have nearly the same all around game as Caron.I hope Alexander isn't the pick. However you can never completely dismiss a guy with an insane work ethic. i just wouldn't hold my breathe.

Tywon lawson-Isn't much of a shooter, and I think would struggle in the half court. Very small as well.

Kosta Koufos- Too soft, doesn't seem to have much "game", if that makes sense. Semi skilled i guess, but I don't think it will translate into actual results.

Donte Green- I just don't see whats so great about him. All he does is shoot from the outside, but not at a respectable clip.

Notes on a few others ...
Sean Singletary- I respected the hell out of him in college, but I think thats where he stops. I don't see him being able to create off the dribble consistently in the league, and is a streaky outside shooter. Also very small.

Chase Buddinger-I really like him. Wouldn't be upset with him as the pick, even with Nick Young. Not much defensively, and I'd prefer Walker, but I like Chase a lot.

Brandon Rush-Guarenteed to be a solid role player IMO. I don't want the Wizards to pick him however, because if we pick a Wing it should be one with great upside. But Rush will be a solid player.

Nickolas Batum-From what I'v read, could be a very good all around player. Might have to question how tough he is, which is what we need, but I can't say he isnt tough without having seen him. High upside, i wouldnt be upset.
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,391

Post#15 » by doclinkin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:30 pm

docs areas of interest:

1. Trade up! Quality players drop every year (Eric Gordon may fall, him I like). Great players climb out of the Wiz' reach. (I want Big Hibba, but I'm thinking NJ and Indiana both like him and Utah may move mountains to climb the board. But he's the best talent, best fit likely in our probable range).

2. Hibbert --he'll be long gone by them as workouts say he's positively killing the competition and is not only more athletic than is perceived but mature and interviews like an ambassador.

3. Trade down! Stock up on quality talent with later 1sts/future picks/ high 2nds and bank on Ernie's ability to select quality players with later picks. If we can clear a little cap space with a pick swap I trust Ernie's ability to find a player in draft and free agency. There are more round 2 guys I love than round 1 guys likely available that I trust. And contracts can be written with more wiggle room.
--JR Giddens. -- sleeper, steal. NBA talent athlete. Good defense, good asst/TO ratio, recovering knucklehead so he's gotten alot of the immaturity issues out of the way, this suppresses his draft status but gives good value for pick ratio.
--Jason Thompson -- Small school big talent. I'd rather take a flyer on a round 2 guy with raw athletics than burn a pick at 18 on a hypertalent with question marks.
--Richard Hendrix has likely played his way into the 1st round in workouts.
--Singletary, solid game, small, but good heart.
--DJ White, good defense, long arms, solid, promised he'd be Detroit's pick last year.
--JJ HIckson, overlooked throwback Power Forward
--Joey Dorsey, defensive dynamo, but FT % is septic-tank awful.
--Gary Forbes, solid all around game and good production in a Big Time conference
--George HIll, classy quiet roleplaying guard, scorer, but low-ego.
--Kyle Weaver: defensive perimeter game-changer, played 4 positions, and he can distribute the ball. Needs a jumper, but we have Hopla (I hope).
--Pat Calathes. True Wing player who can pass and hit an outside shot.
--Chris Lofton. Recovering from a tumor operation but a Big Time scorer, quality character.
--Bill Walker- except for the knee thing...

I'd be comfortable with EG taking a couple picks of the the best available talent among guys like this.

4. Trade Out! Teams like Portland are trying to burn picks, drop players to make room. I'd take back something with Jarret Jack Josh McBob on a two-fer-one dealing a surplus Big.

5. Best Player Available. Joe Alexander will be gone. Danilo Gallinari back to Italy. Hibebrt probably gone. We're looking at 'upside' players with unquestionable talent but questionable production, unknowns, or 2nd tier talents with solid College/Euro resume's Of the probably availabe players. I like:
--Batum: all the intangibles we want in an SF except shooting. Add Hopla.
--Brandon Rush: NBA talent swingman, high quality defense, outside shot, adjusts well mid-air. He's playing well in workouts. As a catch-and shoot back-up he'd play well next to Daniels. The defense is what makes him worth the pick despite sub-optimal handle.
--Mario Chalmers: PG, great outside shot plus defense, the smaller version. Mistake-free back-up. Plays well against his toughest match-ups. Can give Gil a hard time in practice to exemplify defense.
--Marreese Speights. Not sure about this. After Batum he's the probable best talent available, he will be what we hoped from Kwame. Active, aggressive, fiery, able to finish. But the little voice says he reads as a coach killer, slightly less smart Rasheed Wallace. Understood that looks like a benefit to many on these boards. Could be we have the oldhead veterans to balance it out, no question he adds a kind of fire we lack.

My avoid list of the best availables:
--Darrel Arthur: undersized power forward who can't rebound and a draft leader in fouls per 40adjusted. Team calls him a black hole on offense. Perfect back-up for Jamison...
--Buddinger. All the athleticism in the world and he can't defend. Comes up small on the biggest stages. Not for me.

Questionables. project and upside players I have unfounded suspicions about:
Anthony Randolph.
Donte Green
Javale McGee
Deondre Jordan.

Eh. Tons of talent, but I've got freefloating doubts here. Donte Green and McGee would be the better of this bunch way I read it. But I'd much rather pick from later group and let someone else burn a pick on the 'upside' guys.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Post#16 » by Dat2U » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:46 pm

doclinkin wrote:docs areas of interest:

5. Best Player Available. Joe Alexander will be gone. Danilo Gallinari back to Italy. Hibebrt probably gone. We're looking at 'upside' players with unquestionable talent but questionable production, unknowns, or 2nd tier talents with solid College/Euro resume's Of the probably availabe players. I like:
--Marreese Speights. Not sure about this. After Batum he's the probable best talent available, he will be what we hoped from Kwame. Active, aggressive, fiery, able to finish. But the little voice says he reads as a coach killer, slightly less smart Rasheed Wallace. Understood that looks like a benefit to many on these boards. Could be we have the oldhead veterans to balance it out, no question he adds a kind of fire we lack.

We need some fire and your right, that's something I definitely view as a benefit. :wink:

doclinkin wrote:My avoid list of the best availables:
--Darrel Arthur: undersized power forward who can't rebound and a draft leader in fouls per 40adjusted. Team calls him a black hole on offense. Perfect back-up for Jamison...

I see where your coming from on Arthur. I've started hedging my bets on him, especially after seeing how skinny he is looking at the measurements. He's got a lot of offensive maturity to his game but the rest of it looks suspect. He'll have roll in this league as a pick & pop forward but maybe DC isn't the best fit for what we need.

doclinkin wrote:Questionables. project and upside players I have unfounded suspicions about:
Anthony Randolph.
Donte Green
Javale McGee
Deondre Jordan.

Eh. Tons of talent, but I've got freefloating doubts here. Donte Green and McGee would be the better of this bunch way I read it. But I'd much rather pick from later group and let someone else burn a pick on the 'upside' guys.

I agree with you 100% on Greene, McGee & Jordan. All three smell like busts/dissapointments to me, but I really like Randolph. Unlike the others he's got some semi-developed skills. He also doesn't seem lazy or to be much of a knucklehead. He's a hybrid 4/3. Needs to gain weight but has very nice handles and enough quickness to play smaller players. Outside of Beasley & Rose, I think Randolph may have the best chance of reaching his upside.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:59 pm

go'stags wrote:Stealing Dat's format, but not results [in no particular order]...

Just say yes...

-Bill Walker-I agree completely with the poster above who advocated Walker. As long as it isn't a major meniscus tear, then I would want him. A slightly torn meniscus can be healed in about 2 months [speaking from experience]. If it is a Gilbert like tear then i wouldn't draft him.

Mario Chalmers- Some say hes Jaque Vaughn, but he is a much, much, much better outside shooter. that alone makes him a much more valuable player. How many times this year did AD get a wide open look from the outside, but passed it up cuz he cant shoot? Chalmers will knock those down.

Marreesse Speights-haven't seen much of him, but it seems like this is a choice with major upside and could be a legit starter in the league, possibly more.

Roy Hibbert-Iv changed my tune on him. No way he doesn't at least turn into a serviceable player, with the potential for much more.

Richard Hendrix- Most know that Iv been high on him for a long time, and I still am, especially after his measurements. Is much more skilled than Maxiell, hes more comparable to a Milsap, or, if in the right situation and hard work, Elton Brand.

Just say no.....

Joe Alexander- I'm just really not a fan of him. Sorry, but theres no way he is the one you put on Lebron. defense is his weak point, as in lateral quickness. In terms of offense, he has a below average first step, even for the college game. No way he will be able to create in the NBA. Caron doesn't have a great first step either, but Alexander doesn't have nearly the same all around game as Caron.I hope Alexander isn't the pick. However you can never completely dismiss a guy with an insane work ethic. i just wouldn't hold my breathe.

Tywon lawson-Isn't much of a shooter, and I think would struggle in the half court. Very small as well.

Kosta Koufos- Too soft, doesn't seem to have much "game", if that makes sense. Semi skilled i guess, but I don't think it will translate into actual results.

Donte Green- I just don't see whats so great about him. All he does is shoot from the outside, but not at a respectable clip.

Notes on a few others ...
Sean Singletary- I respected the hell out of him in college, but I think thats where he stops. I don't see him being able to create off the dribble consistently in the league, and is a streaky outside shooter. Also very small.

Chase Buddinger-I really like him. Wouldn't be upset with him as the pick, even with Nick Young. Not much defensively, and I'd prefer Walker, but I like Chase a lot.

Brandon Rush-Guarenteed to be a solid role player IMO. I don't want the Wizards to pick him however, because if we pick a Wing it should be one with great upside. But Rush will be a solid player.

Nickolas Batum-From what I'v read, could be a very good all around player. Might have to question how tough he is, which is what we need, but I can't say he isnt tough without having seen him. High upside, i wouldnt be upset.

That's probably as close to my choices as anyone's said, though I think higher of Alexander, and I would NOT pick Walker that high. With the injury, I'd guess he won't make the 1st round. He's a 6'6 forward with a history of problems. I rate Alexander and Rush ahead of Walker. Rush also has a history of injuries, but he's an excellent role player and a better fit.

Question on 2 players Doc mentioned as question marks. If either slips to 18 - Deondre Jordan or Javale McGee - do you take them? Both have tremendous length, legit athuhletic ability, and a long way to go.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:13 pm

Btw, if we're looking for a 3rd string PG in round 2, there's one that hasn't been mentioned in any mocks that I've seen that I think would be a good candidate - Chalmers' teammate - Russell Robinson. He's built like a running back and plays a little little like one. He doesn't shoot much, but he's like Chalmers in that he plays great defense and gets a very good assist/to ratio. Hopla would likely be a big help to him on his outside shooting. If he develops that, he'll be an NBA player, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#19 » by W. Unseld » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:18 pm

^^^^^Do we really think that guy would be better than Singletary? I realize I'm biased but I think I'm biased in part from watching the guy play against top tier ACC competition with little to no inside presense to speak of and only 1 or 2 decently skilled teamates. If he and Lawson were to switch college teams you can believe that his assists go up and his t.o.'s go down, admittedly his scoring probably takes a hit as well though.
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#20 » by go'stags » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:48 pm

I agree with Ruz on Robinson. He is probably a better on ball defender than Chalmers.
LyricalRico wrote:

Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.

Return to Washington Wizards