Official Wizards Draft Thread: Version 2.0

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: Official Wizards Draft Thread: Version 2.0 

Post#21 » by miller31time » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:10 pm

newslowsad wrote:I'd have a hard time passing on Singletary if he is there in the second round. Love his game.

Same here. One thing about smaller combo guards to note -- if they're winners, smart players and show an innate ability to score the ball, they will be able to translate to the NBA game (In my opinion).

Smaller combo guards who are don't have a great basketball IQ but are able to score at the college level just because they have more talent -- it's those guys who won't translate.

Singletary would be awfully hard to pass up in the 2nd round.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,663

Post#22 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:32 pm

Trade the pick. Lawson is no longer an option. They don't seem to be too interested in Hibbert. Do you draft a back-up center with the 18th pick? I guess in this weak draft you do, but I'm more intrigued with Speights if he's there.

No way Alexander is going to be there. Probably will go 8-12. Again, do we need another small forward? Buddinger is also a nice pick though he's a bit soft. With all that athletic ability, you think he'd go to the basket more but he's needs to bulk up. I say we go big here and go with a point guard like Singletary in the 2nd round.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#23 » by LyricalRico » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:35 pm

80sballboy wrote:Again, do we need another small forward?

Based on Caron's injury history and considering that the only backup option is a raw Dominic McGuire...YES!
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,491

Post#24 » by mhd » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Per draftexpress, Buddinger is out of the draft. I have no clue who I want at 18. Speights is my preference now. If he's gone, I guess I'd just take Hendrix. However, I'd prefer to trade it for a vet.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#25 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:02 pm

WOW. This draft's talent pool just got weaker. At this point, I'd draft one of these players: Rush, Hibbert, or Batum.

Otherwise, trade the pick. Robin Lopez probably becomes a lottery pick now.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#26 » by fishercob » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:20 pm

"Trade the pick" is an incomplete strategy. While I'm in favor of trading it in theory, the "for what" we're trading is pretty important.

The previously suggested trade of 18 for 31 and 34 is less attractive with the shallowing of the draft pool.

Going BPA might have to do, or taking a flashy athlete who will have curb appeal on the trade market at some point (see Young, Nick).
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#27 » by FreeBalling » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:59 pm

With the 18th pick the Wizards select Roy Hibbert, GeorgeTown. For the record. He's not that slow, at 7''2 he offers something different.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by miller31time » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:06 am

I just don't see where Hibbert can play on this team.

We have Haywood who is one of the better centers in the league, and who will command about 30 minutes per game.

We then have Etan Thomas, one of the better backup centers in the league, who will play about 15-18 minutes per game. Since Haywood has shown much improvement, I think we can finally see Etan how he should be seen - a quality backup.

We also have Andray Blatche who will play limited minutes at center, and Pecherov who might get a few as well.

There is absolutely no room for Hibbert on this team unless you want to draft him, and not play him until Etan's deal is up and hope that we don't resign Etan.

I mean, I like the idea of drafting BPA, but when that best player has absolutely no room for the team that drafts him, it becomes a problem.

I want either a point guard or a small forward.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#29 » by MJG » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:36 am

Draft is getting closer, so I'm reading more and more. Here are my personal (and still uneducated, compared to most others here) picks:

Batum is my new number one guy. He seems like one of those smart, do-everything glue guys. The fact that he seems to shy away from being "the man" shouldn't much matter on this team, as there are several other players (Arenas, N1) more than happy to take on that role - he probably wouldn't ever be more than a third or fourth option in any given lineup.

Speights will be my number two. I don't think he fills a huge need, but he seems like someone who is much more productive than his mid-first round mock status indicates. For me, he falls under the notion of "best player available".

I'm fine with nabbing Hibbert, Lopez, or Rush. None of them excite me in the least, but I figure they will all be decent role players, and there's worse things to nab with the 18th pick.

I don't really want to pick up Arthur, Green, or Chalmers. I won't blow my top if any are our selection, but I'll walk away from draft day disappointed.

Players who I would blow my top over drafting: McGee and Koufus. I just don't like what I've read about them at all.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#30 » by fishercob » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:55 am

miller31time wrote:I just don't see where Hibbert can play on this team.

We have Haywood who is one of the better centers in the league, and who will command about 30 minutes per game.

We then have Etan Thomas, one of the better backup centers in the league, who will play about 15-18 minutes per game. Since Haywood has shown much improvement, I think we can finally see Etan how he should be seen - a quality backup.

We also have Andray Blatche who will play limited minutes at center, and Pecherov who might get a few as well.

There is absolutely no room for Hibbert on this team unless you want to draft him, and not play him until Etan's deal is up and hope that we don't resign Etan.

I mean, I like the idea of drafting BPA, but when that best player has absolutely no room for the team that drafts him, it becomes a problem.

I want either a point guard or a small forward.

First of all, we have yet to receive any confirmation that Etan will be ready for camp. Even if he is, I dont think it's quite a forgone conclusion that he'll return to form.

Secondly, Hibbert is already far more skilled than Etan and could provide the Wiz with a different element as a Princeton center -- even if for just 5-8 mpg.

Finally -- YES. Plan on moving Etan within the next 12-18 months, and start grooming this team's next backup center. Blatche should play minimally at C and concenrate on F. I don't think you can have too much size -- especially skilled size -- in the NBA. Backup guards (our other need) are easier to come by.
— Steve Martin
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by miller31time » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:05 am

fishercob wrote:First of all, we have yet to receive any confirmation that Etan will be ready for camp. Even if he is, I dont think it's quite a forgone conclusion that he'll return to form.

Secondly, Hibbert is already far more skilled than Etan and could provide the Wiz with a different element as a Princeton center -- even if for just 5-8 mpg.

Finally -- YES. Plan on moving Etan within the next 12-18 months, and start grooming this team's next backup center. Blatche should play minimally at C and concenrate on F. I don't think you can have too much size -- especially skilled size -- in the NBA. Backup guards (our other need) are easier to come by.

I believe we were given information that Etan will be back and in the form we're all accustomed to seeing him play. I don't have the source, but there was an Etan update thread here and I remember seeing it. He had the surgery. He rehabbed. He recovered. He'll be back and I see no reason to expect anything different.

Your point about Hibbert being far more skilled than Etan is moot, because Eddie Jordan will not give minutes to a rookie big man that could easily be given to the recovered Etan Thomas, an EJ favorite. And if we spend a 1st round draft pick on a guy who *might* play 5-7 minutes per game (even though I see no way he gets any PT at all, with the exception of blowouts), I'd see it as a wasted pick, considering we have other positions where backups are necessary (certainly small forward, and I'd say point guard as well, seeing as how Arenas seems less than durable, and AD is getting up there in age, along with the possibility that Mason probably won't be returning).

Lastly, you are banking on Etan being traded. While it's possible, I, in no way, consider it probable, let alone a done deal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,568

Post#32 » by closg00 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:25 am

Actually a few board members were thinking the opposite might be true, that Hibbert might be one the the few draftees that might actually get some PT from EJ. Which potential pick do you see EJ giving ANY playing time?....perhaps a PG if Gilbert goes down
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by miller31time » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:29 am

If we draft a small forward, he's all but assured minutes. Unless Caron Butler is going to play a full season and Dominic McGuire becomes a role player (ie: when hell freezes over). If we draft a point guard, it will be to replace AD who is getting up there in age and on the decline. Plus, with Arenas' injury status and AD's penchant for hard falls, I could see him playing a vital role next season.
RickRoll_inDC
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#34 » by RickRoll_inDC » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:21 am

here's why I'm liking Hibbert.

1. He's a local guy
2. He's skilled as a BIG man in the Princeton offense
3. Solid big men are hard to come by.
an example is from doing a 'fantasy draft' on NBA live- by the time I get to the 7th round, the
best C I can draft is about a 63 overall (for all you 2Kers out there- that's bad) I know this is
just an example from a game, but it goes to show how few quality C's there are as backups.
4. He's 7'2" and plays DEFENSE
19-13 on game threads
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#35 » by MJG » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:42 am

closg00 wrote:Actually a few board members were thinking the opposite might be true, that Hibbert might be one the the few draftees that might actually get some PT from EJ. Which potential pick do you see EJ giving ANY playing time?....perhaps a PG if Gilbert goes down

This is pretty much how it is. As far as most of us believe, we're basically bringing back the same team next year, except with a healthy Arenas and Etan. Unless our draftee blows past all expectations, odds are they aren't going to be getting many minutes, regardless of position.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,456

Post#36 » by doclinkin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:07 am

Dat2U wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Questionables. project and upside players I have unfounded suspicions about:
Anthony Randolph.
Donte Green
Javale McGee
Deondre Jordan.

Eh. Tons of talent, but I've got freefloating doubts here. Donte Green and McGee would be the better of this bunch way I read it. But I'd much rather pick from later group and let someone else burn a pick on the 'upside' guys.

I agree with you 100% on Greene, McGee & Jordan. All three smell like busts/dissapointments to me, but I really like Randolph. Unlike the others he's got some semi-developed skills. He also doesn't seem lazy or to be much of a knucklehead. He's a hybrid 4/3. Needs to gain weight but has very nice handles and enough quickness to play smaller players. Outside of Beasley & Rose, I think Randolph may have the best chance of reaching his upside.

Know what, yeah I'm totally wrong on him. Skinny or not I love his game and think he'll be fine. Ernie would draft him if available, truth is I hadn't looked into him all that deeply because he was never in our draft range. Crazy handles for a guy that long. Jeez. Anthony Randolph is who Blatche thinks he is, always wanted to be. I would trade up to get him if I could. Solves the back-up sf position, and in fact EJ would probably even try him in the Jared Jeffries 2-guard role.

Hmmn, the metas also suggest he'll either be an obsessively focussed competitor, or an obsessive compulsive of another sort.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,456

Post#37 » by doclinkin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:17 am

miller31time wrote:Your point about Hibbert being far more skilled than Etan is moot, because Eddie Jordan will not give minutes to a rookie big man that could easily be given to the recovered Etan Thomas, an EJ favorite. And if we spend a 1st round draft pick on a guy who *might* play 5-7 minutes per game (even though I see no way he gets any PT at all, with the exception of blowouts),

This new re-set keep eating my posts. Getting tired of it real fast. Too much wasted effort, thought. May take a break until maybe they iron out some kinks and get the boards readable again.

But the short of it is: EJ really admires the Georgetown big man work. Used it when he had to go slowdown for the playoffs last year. In the 'believe it when I see it' category-- the Big Man play was better this year no? All the plays he managed to run for Haywood this year were basically lifted from the Hibbert playbook. He's said Etan and Haywood are both awkward fits for what he's been trying to run, he played Etan because at least ET gave consistent effort.

The person or persons whose playtime would suffer would be: Etan, Blatche the knucklehead, and yep even Haywood. Not Pech because he doesn't play as much and has been subbing in at PF. I suspect we'd hear complaints about 'slow ball' etc, and more fussing on behalf of Haywood Dangerfield. Situation normal.

But rest assured Hibbert would play. Or you haven't heard EJ talk about him and describe how he lifted plays directly from the GTown big men (on the John Thompson show, and the Brian Mitchell show back when he had his own show). You'd see Darius Songaila in teh Jeff Green role in all probability.

The real interesting subplot would be EJ's reaction if GMEG passes on Hibbert and selects a (inconsistent young pup) Nico Btoooom or a hothead Marreese Speights. And the corresponding hullaballoo here on these boards. Fun for all!
fishercob
RealGM

Post#38 » by fishercob » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:27 am

miller31time wrote:
fishercob wrote:First of all, we have yet to receive any confirmation that Etan will be ready for camp. Even if he is, I dont think it's quite a forgone conclusion that he'll return to form.

I believe we were given information that Etan will be back and in the form we're all accustomed to seeing him play. I don't have the source, but there was an Etan update thread here and I remember seeing it. He had the surgery. He rehabbed. He recovered. He'll be back and I see no reason to expect anything different.

Your point about Hibbert being far more skilled than Etan is moot, because Eddie Jordan will not give minutes to a rookie big man that could easily be given to the recovered Etan Thomas, an EJ favorite. And if we spend a 1st round draft pick on a guy who *might* play 5-7 minutes per game (even though I see no way he gets any PT at all, with the exception of blowouts), I'd see it as a wasted pick, considering we have other positions where backups are necessary (certainly small forward, and I'd say point guard as well, seeing as how Arenas seems less than durable, and AD is getting up there in age, along with the possibility that Mason probably won't be returning).

Lastly, you are banking on Etan being traded. While it's possible, I, in no way, consider it probable, let alone a done deal.

Miller, it's not like Etan was some pillar of health before missing a season to heart surgery. In his six previous seasons he played in 47, 38, 79, 47, 71 and 65 games. Made it to 70 games a third of the time, 65 half the time -- not counting this past season. Any way you slice it, he's no Cal Ripken. So even if Hibbs was the third true center, odds are he'd be called upon. Heck, we sure could have used him this past season and in the playoffs.

I disagree with your assertion that Eddie won't give minutes to Hibbs as a rookie. EJ would likley not trust a raw rookie C like a Javale McGee, but Hibbert is a 4-year Princeton center who has played in a ton of big games including a Final Four.

As to us having greater needs, sure we could use a SF. But I have no confidence that that anyone will be there are 18 who will provide any meaningful help this year. Jamison and McGuire can handle backing up Caron.

Etan may be traded in the next 12-18 months and he may not. But it's extremely unlikely that the Wiz will re-sign him when his contract expires in two years. It's absolutely not too early to plan for that, especially since Haywood expires that same offseason. Now is the time to draft an inexpensive insurance policy.

There's been much discussion of Roy's offense, and no doubt, it would be nice to see him run the O with these teammates. But I think his D is underrated. He was an anchor on a very good defensive team for the past two years and that's of value too.

Truth of the matter is that I think there's a greater likelihood that Hibbert is gone by 18 (perhaps someone moving up to get him) then there is of EG passing on him.
— Steve Martin
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#39 » by badinage » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:11 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion that Grunfeld -- assuming he keeps the pick -- is going to take Courtney Lee.

Skilled, can shoot, has a midrange game, can slash, can play perimeter D, has some size. There's your backup for C-But.

Oh, and he's also got -- our favorite cliche -- upside.

Don't ask me why I think this; I just do. A hunch. Eddie came in for one day, and it just so happened to be for the day Courtney Lee was in. And you've heard NOTHING about the Wizards and Courtney Lee -- which seems to be the way with Grunfeld, to sneak up on us like that.

I think he fits in well with this group, and really, who else appeals to you? Ba-TOOM seems to be more Thabo than Scottie, Hibbert is intriguing in some ways but slow and maybe soft, Speights is problematic, Greene scares me ... Koufos I like, but I think he'll be gone.

(I said: assuming we keep the pick. Every year at this time, you hear all sorts of deals discussed. I know there was talk that we and Golden State are looking to move our picks for vets. Yeah. Sure. Very, very hard to move the 18th pick in the draft -- unless you package it with a player or two. Maybe that happens. I'd be surprised.)
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#40 » by Soup's Uncle » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:23 pm

gilbertgoes05 wrote:here's why I'm liking Hibbert.

1. He's a local guy
2. He's skilled as a BIG man in the Princeton offense
3. Solid big men are hard to come by.
an example is from doing a 'fantasy draft' on NBA live- by the time I get to the 7th round, the
best C I can draft is about a 63 overall (for all you 2Kers out there- that's bad) I know this is
just an example from a game, but it goes to show how few quality C's there are as backups.
4. He's 7'2" and plays DEFENSE

Agreed. I hope we take him if he's available, but I won't cry if we don't.
F Street = Wall Street

Return to Washington Wizards