ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Wizards Draft Thread: Version 2.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: Official Wizards Draft Thread: Version 2.0 

Post#61 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:48 pm

Can I safely assume that Roy won't be there when we select?

you sure can...rumor is that the Kings are strongly considering taking him at 12. It also said they would have taken him last year but he pulled out. (espn)
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#62 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:56 pm

^ If that's true then I have to question the Kings front office. First they trade for Kenny Thomas, then they sign SAR, then they draft Spencer Hawes, then they sign Mikki Moore, then they trade for Shelden Wiliams. All this while already having Brad Miller.

If they draft Hibbert, half their roster and more than half their salary will be tied up in the PF/C positions. When you consider that they don't have a point guard and Artest won't be there longterm, it's safe to say that they have more pressing needs. They'd better have one heckuva blockbuster setup.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#63 » by BruceO » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:52 pm

to be honest the player I really like is Joe alexander, I've been paying attention to Batum in the international scene and didnt think he'd be available to us. realistically in the 18th position Hibbert, Batum, Donte greene and Speights will be available.
I think the next stage piece we are missing is Joe Alexander who I didnt know is from maryland. His work ethic is phenomenal and he has the strength and athleticism. I think he has what it takes to be good defensively as well. Along with the big PF's championship teams recently have had a big defender. Posey was on Kobe, Detroit has Tayshuan, San antonio has Bowen and La is developing Ariza. Another good defender is Battier. Another one is Artest. We need this piece to be our primary defender on the perimeter. The length + athleticism bothers people. If hibbert isn't going to be that defensive anchor then trading up with perhaps NY is the way to go to get the person we need. Bottom line is if we don't get a way to deal with Lebron that team will take us out again if we are not careful. We need to be better equiped at whatever cost.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#64 » by Soup's Uncle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:02 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ If that's true then I have to question the Kings front office. First they trade for Kenny Thomas, then they sign SAR, then they draft Spencer Hawes, then they sign Mikki Moore, then they trade for Shelden Wiliams. All this while already having Brad Miller.

If they draft Hibbert, half their roster and more than half their salary will be tied up in the PF/C positions. When you consider that they don't have a point guard and Artest won't be there longterm, it's safe to say that they have more pressing needs. They'd better have one heckuva blockbuster setup.

Agreed. If they take him, then the Maloof brothers need to fire everyone in that front office. Unless the plan on having an all big man sarting 5.
F Street = Wall Street
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#65 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:14 pm

Not sure if this was already posted but heres what DX has to say about the Wizards:

Could use help at: Point Guard, Forward/Center, Overall Depth

Bottom line: The Wizards had a very good season considering the fact that they played without their superstar Gilbert Arenas for the vast majority of their games. Injuries tempered any shot the team had at making a playoff run, and while the Cleveland dispatched of them in the first-round, they played with a lot of resolve for a team without its best player. General Manager Ernie Grunfeld will look to solve the continuity problems that have faced his team by attempting to keep Antawn Jamison and Gilbert Arenas. The Wizards feel like their three best players match up well with the top trios they’ll face on any given night of the season, and would like to give this group another chance to prove itself while healthy.

Draft outlook: Washington doesn’t have any glaring holes, and unless the team goes into rebuilding mode and fails to resign its stars, they may opt to take the best player available. They would most likely want to find a point guard who can play both with Gilbert Arenas in the backcourt as well as without him, but it’s not quite clear how they would feel about reaching for Mario Chalmers.

A local player they may wind up looking at is Roy Hibbert, who provides a nice scoring presence on the low block and would be a quality backup behind Brendan Haywood from day one. Kosta Koufos could fit the same bill and offer more long-term potential. It is entirely possible that the Wizards will wind up taking whatever player falls out of the first-half of the first-round. A guy like DeAndre Jordan or JaVale McGee could be in play depending on how they work out, as could Darrell Arthur.

With their second-round pick, Ernie Grunfeld may be able to add depth to the Washington backcourt. Jamont Gordon, George Hill, Kyle Weaver and Mike Taylor would all probably get looks considering their versatility. The Wizards haven’t been afraid to take a European player in the past, and if Goran Dragic is around, he may be a good fit.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA ... sion-2931/

Thoughts?
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,367

Post#66 » by dobrojim » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:38 pm

Looks like DX has been reading RealGM

or vice versa

couple thoughts on the last few pages

1. I think Hibbert has the potential to play assuming he practices well (if we were to get him).
I don't see him as another PJR, that's for sure.

2. I think DMac is our backup SF. If you are looking for depth there, whoever you draft
has to be better as a rookie than DMac is with a one year head start. I'd handicap that
race to DMac assuming he has worked hard on his weaknesses over the summer ie shooting.

3. I really don't study this stuff much compared to many of you....that said I kinda liked some
of the things I heard about Chalmers if Hibbert isn't there.
edit to add
just surfed over to DX. They now have Hibbert falling all the way to SAN(26). I may be
naive but I just don't see that happening.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,456

Post#67 » by mhd » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:00 pm

No way Galinari slips past the Nets.

Here is how I see the draft going:

1) Bulls-Rose
2) Heat-Beasley
3) Minny-Mayo/Love
4) Sonics-Bayless
5) Memphis-Love/Mayo (They won't be intimidated taking Mayo, who is a PERFECT fit for them. What is Mayo going to do? Sit out and not get a paycheck?)
6) Knicks-Randolph (BPA here. Could be Alexander)
7) Clippers-Gordon (A lock if available)
8) Bucks-Alexander/Randolph, whoever falls
9) Bobcats-Lopez
10) Nets-Galinari
11) Pacers-Augustine/Westbrook
12) Kings-Westbrook/Augustine
13) Portland-Ajinca (They won't be picking here, but if they stay, their best move is to go foreign and stash him overseas. Ainjca is rising up the charts).
14) GSW-Arthur (Need forward help and Arthur is ready to play right away)
15) Phoenix-Rush (Need ready help)
16) Philly-Speights (Easy pick here)
17) Toronto-Koufus (Need a banger)
18) Wizards-DeAndre Jordan (He's falling, but he far too much potential to not be the pick).
dfreshbfresh
Freshman

Post#68 » by dfreshbfresh » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:26 pm

Are the wizards done bringing guys in for workouts? Why haven't guys like Batum, Greene, Arthur, McGee, Koufus,Lopez,Rush been brought in yet?
Dnice
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,813

Post#69 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:06 pm

I'm pretty sure the Wizards have scouted Batum several times, we just don't know about it. I think Ernie went overseas twice during the season and the scouts were at the basketball camp in Europe like a week or two ago.

The other guys, again, they probably won't be there by our pick so what's the point of bringing them in.

I'm going with my gut and say the Wizards have made a promise to a European player.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#70 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:04 am

Rafael122 wrote:I'm going with my gut and say the Wizards have made a promise to a European player.

:nod:

It's either that or they are going for a well known local product that they don't need to bring in for a formal workout, like Roy Hibbert.

I'm basically thinking Batum or Hibbert, whichever one is on the board when we're on the clock. The question is - what happens if both are still on the board?

:dontknow:
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#71 » by newslowsad » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:02 pm

Would we have to wait three years or more to see Batum play a regular season game? If that is the case, I hope we don't go there.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#72 » by MJG » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:13 pm

newslowsad wrote:Would we have to wait three years or more to see Batum play a regular season game? If that is the case, I hope we don't go there.

Don't fault the kid because EJ is the coach.
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#73 » by newslowsad » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:18 pm

My statement didn't have anything to do with EJ. I am just wondering if anyone could field the extent of what, if any Batum's contractual obligations in Europe are.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#74 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:06 pm

MJG wrote:
newslowsad wrote:Would we have to wait three years or more to see Batum play a regular season game? If that is the case, I hope we don't go there.

Don't fault the kid because EJ is the coach.

Zing!

:lol:

Seriously, here's what I've been able to find online:

"Nicolas Batums agent Bouna Ndiyae said he’s 99% sure Batum will be in this years draft, his buyout with his current team is only $500,000 which is not too steep compared to other international contract buyouts."

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba/nba-draft/ ... 42358.html

IIRC correctly, that's the amount that the Wiz are allowed to contribute so he should be fine.
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#75 » by newslowsad » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:16 pm

Thanks for clarifying that RIco. Good to know.
mhd
General Manager

Post#76 » by mhd » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:45 pm

FROM DRAFTEXPRESS:

"Memphis’ additional first round selection, the #28 pick, acquired from the Lakers in the Pau Gasol trade, is also reportedly in play. Rumors have the Grizzlies potentially trading this pick to Denver along with Kyle Lowry in exchange for the #20 pick. It’s possible that they would try and leap-frog the Orlando Magic and select Courtney Lee, who reportedly had a terrific workout there last week"

"Other picks that we’re hearing rumors about include #6 (New York, trying to move up, or back), #19 (Cleveland, possibly to move up and take Brandon Rush), and #29 (Detroit, who supposedly isn’t enamored by anyone in this area). Two teams that are reportedly looking to acquire an additional first round pick are the Spurs (who unfortunately have very little to offer) and the Suns. The Wizards wouldn’t mind moving out if someone would offer them a good deal involving a point guard, but at this point that doesn’t seem likely to happen. Cleveland is trying to buy their way into the mid-first round, but unlike in years past, it won’t be Phoenix that is selling"

OPEC+18 (Lee) for Lowry+28 makes too much sense for both teams.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#77 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:03 pm

They think that Lowry+28 would be good for the 20, but then say that the Wiz aren't likely to find a good deal involving a PG? Predictable talking head contradiction - they forget what they wrote as soon as they move to a new paragraph.

As for mhd's deal, if the Grizz are willing to give up Lowry+28 for the 20, why would we give up anything other than the 18 for the same package? Heck, we should be getting more since it's a higher pick. I can understand us maybe wanting to sweeten the pot so that they'll deal with us instead of Denver but giving them their pick back from the Navarro trade should be enough.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,576

Post#78 » by nate33 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:47 am

I LIKE Pecherov + #18 for Lowry + #28. I don't like the AD for Kapono part.

Trade AD for cap relief. Then we'd have cap room for Mason.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,482

Post#79 » by Blame Rasho » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:56 am

nate33 wrote:I LIKE Pecherov + #18 for Lowry + #28. I don't like the AD for Kapono part.

I like that trade for you guys as well...
mhd
General Manager

Post#80 » by mhd » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:20 am

nate33 wrote:I LIKE Pecherov + #18 for Lowry + #28. I don't like the AD for Kapono part.

Why do we need Mason? Nick Young should get all the minutes as the backup SG. Heck, he was the best shooter on the team last year. I'd rather trade AD for a defensive wing.

Return to Washington Wizards