[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Hail To The Redskins

Moderator: LyricalRico

lupin
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Hail To The Redskins 

Post#1 » by lupin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:49 pm

since our old thread got 'archived' in the 'upgrade'...

Jason Taylor for a 2009 2nd round pick and a 2010 6th round pick.

Probably a high price to pay because the Skins were so desperate (lost starting end Daniels and promising backup DE Buzbee to season ending injuries a couple of hours earlier), but if Taylor maintains his streak of good health he will be worth it. The 2nd round pick is a potential starter, but a 6th rounder is just depth, and the Skins have so far held on to more of their assets than usual.
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Re: Hail To The Redskins 

Post#2 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:45 pm

yeah the fact we even had 9 mil in cap space sitting around in case of rain just shows how much smarter the skins have been about wheeling and dealing with free agents. even WITH Daniels our pass rush was piss poor, so this will definitely be an upgrade; a quicker rush and less time for the corners to be out on an island.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#3 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:52 pm

Andre Carter + Jason Taylor = unhappy quarterbacks. We have the best defense in our division and we most likely will beat our 2004 benchmarks.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#4 » by Soup's Uncle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:08 pm

Praise the lord...

Philip Daniles is an injury waiting to happen....it happened.

Hopefully Jason Taylor can give us 2 solid years. We'll have a great pass rush...I'm o siked for football season.

I'm headed to training camp this Sunday. Should be the tops!
F Street = Wall Street
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#5 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:18 pm

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:Andre Carter + Jason Taylor = unhappy quarterbacks. We have the best defense in our division and we most likely will beat our 2004 benchmarks.

Mos def lookin forward to our line makin some Romo pancakes.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#6 » by Halcyon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:25 pm

I was initially unhappy with the trade because we had traded another high draft pick. But Taylor is still a very productive player and our pass rush will be the best its been in years. Now to hope for good health for the rest of the team...
Cramer
Lead Assistant
And1: 381

Post#7 » by Cramer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:05 pm

Taylor is a very very nice pickup, but the best defense in the division?

That's a pretty bold statement. You could also make a valid argument it's the 4th best, and still be very damn good.
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#8 » by P'Oed » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:30 pm

everyone gets excited about this Redskins stuff and then is completely broken down after they end up sucking. I'm going in with no expectations this year other than tons of injuries and Campbell INTs. Call me Negative Nancy but hopefully I'll be surprised instead of right.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#9 » by yungal07 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:58 pm

P'Oed wrote:everyone gets excited about this Redskins stuff and then is completely broken down after they end up sucking. I'm going in with no expectations this year other than tons of injuries and Campbell INTs. Call me Negative Nancy but hopefully I'll be surprised instead of right.

LOL a guy with a handle called "PO'ed" being negative? What a shocker! :D

This is a good move for the Skins. If you get a guy in the 2nd round that's half what Jason Taylor is, then you're pretty lucky. Getting JT for a second, even at 33 years old, is a solid move for a team desperate for a pass rushing DE. Our defense is set now. Hopefully no more season ending injuries.

This was also a good move for the Dolphins too. This was one of those fair-for-both-sides deals.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#10 » by W. Unseld » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:16 pm

Cramer, I don't know who has the best defense in the division. I'll agree w/you that I'm not ready to crown anyone, arguments could be made for all 4 teams year in year out unfortunately. It's just a G-d*mn tough division.

As for the Jason Taylor move, I'm okay with it, I just wish they wouldn't have pulled the trigger immediately. They basically negotiated at an extreme weak point. Barring Zorn being an absolute genius, and Campbell making a quantum leap AND some luck, they aren't winning the superbowl this year so I don't see why they couldn't have told Parcells the price was too steep and then explored other options and waited for the waiver wire. I just don't like negotiating from the weakest possible stance.

With that said, if Taylor can give them 2 good years I'm happy. I would talk about his cap impact but the Skins always, always find a way around "cap h*ll."
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#11 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:16 pm

I'm not that thrilled about this news. Sure, if the Redskins just picked up Jason Taylor off the street, I would be pretty happy. However, trading a 2nd round pick is risky especially for a player who very well could retire at the end of the season.

I wish Jim Zorn all the success in the world but he's a 1st year coach who has never been a coordinator up to this point. The Redskins could have (and should've IMO) addressed the defensive line with one of their 3 second round picks.

Hopefully, the D line becomes one of the team's strengths with the addition of Jason Taylor. Maybe he's the missing piece to the puzzle. But I really can't be cautiously optimistic with this team because they are known for their major letdowns.
Cramer
Lead Assistant
And1: 381

Post#12 » by Cramer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:22 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Cramer, I don't know who has the best defense in the division. I'll agree w/you that I'm not ready to crown anyone, arguments could be made for all 4 teams year in year out unfortunately. It's just a G-d*mn tough division.

As for the Jason Taylor move, I'm okay with it, I just wish they wouldn't have pulled the trigger immediately. They basically negotiated at an extreme weak point. Barring Zorn being an absolute genius, and Campbell making a quantum leap AND some luck, they aren't winning the superbowl this year so I don't see why they couldn't have told Parcells the price was too steep and then explored other options and waited for the waiver wire. I just don't like negotiating from the weakest possible stance.

With that said, if Taylor can give them 2 good years I'm happy. I would talk about his cap impact but the Skins always, always find a way around "cap h*ll."

I like the move if I'm a Skin's fan. A lot. I also like it if I'm a Miami fan. A good deal for both teams, with some caveats for Washington. If he plays one year and they don't make the playoffs, they gave up a pick that should end up being a long term starter. Then it doesn't look so good. If he's an impact player (and I would certainly assume he would be, this isn't Bruce Smith coming in way late in his career) and they make the playoffs then yea, very good deal. But if you're planning on the playoffs, and the Skin's should be, you have to make the deal. With Daniels going down and nothing from the draft up front, if they don't make a move they're getting mauled upfront and I think the playoffs would be a long shot. I have to give it to them, they responded quickly, and not by bringing in some bum.

As for the division, Philly looks like it's retooled it's defense nicely and their D is always tough, even in down years. Dallas is loaded, especially with the additions in the secondary (say hello to the bench in passing downs, Roy, which was the only hole in that defense), and look what the Giants did to Dallas, GB and NE in the playoffs. That was **** impressive. That division is going to be a bitch.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Post#13 » by pancakes3 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:34 pm

I'm excited about the Taylor pickup, but I'm not one to say that it's the missing cog to the juggernaut machine known as the 'skins. We lack receivers. Big receivers with soft hands that can reel in Campbell's overthrows easily without stretching out and exposing ribs. Campbell can bomb it a country mile, and zip it on a 5 yard hitch, but his intermediate passes are consistently 8 inches too high, which is especially dangerous for the intermediate pass-catchers.

With Santana Moss and Randel-El as our starting receivers, we lack size which is the defining criterion for a #1 receiver. Santana Moss can get downfield in a hurry, but he has to run extra fast to beat the outstretched arms of an interfering DB. It's rare that you see the secondary being bigger than the wide outs, but Carlos Rogers, Springs, and Smoot are all taller than either Moss or Randel-El. Taylor's a good pickup, but it would've been nice if we had picked up a receiver like Jacksonville has been doing. Joey Porter would've made our offensive skill positions complete and Campbell's job 100 times easier.
Bullets -> Wizards
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#14 » by P'Oed » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:36 pm

yungal07 wrote:
P'Oed wrote:everyone gets excited about this Redskins stuff and then is completely broken down after they end up sucking. I'm going in with no expectations this year other than tons of injuries and Campbell INTs. Call me Negative Nancy but hopefully I'll be surprised instead of right.

LOL a guy with a handle called "PO'ed" being negative? What a shocker! :D

This is a good move for the Skins. If you get a guy in the 2nd round that's half what Jason Taylor is, then you're pretty lucky. Getting JT for a second, even at 33 years old, is a solid move for a team desperate for a pass rushing DE. Our defense is set now. Hopefully no more season ending injuries.

This was also a good move for the Dolphins too. This was one of those fair-for-both-sides deals.

its just so hard to get excited about any DC/Maryland sport anymore...oh well...sorry for sounding emo
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#15 » by spaceman_E » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:12 pm

This is a good day to be a Redskins fan. Essentially, we traded a 4th or 5th string WR (2nd round pick) for Jason Taylor. FINALLYYYY they acknowledged that the D-line(especially the pass rush) has been the biggest problem for this team for a couple years now.
Last year we didn't really blitz much at all and our line rarely got pressure, much less consistent pressure. This will change things. Think about all the teams that drove on us in the 4th quarter last year to beat us(The D lost those games, not Campbell). Now when we know they are going to pass, we can do something about it other than sit back and watch. I'd be much more excited if Gibbs was still coaching the team though. He always played to keep the game close, thought a 6 pt lead was = to a 16pt lead. I suspect Zorn's team will be more aggressive and games won't be as tight as they have been.
Anyways. The pass rush will be good this year. Campbell will prove that he played a lot better than his numbers last year and be even better this year. We will have good health and prove that you CAN count on a team of 30-35 year old linemen on both sides of the ball to not get injured and that you don't need any quality depth in the wings so it's ok to spend all your high draft picks on positions you don't need like 4th WR or backup TE. Zorn won't have growing pains as a coach because he will have his top assistants to help him with things he's never done before like managing timeouts and end of game situations. The 'Skins will be in contention for the division all season and finish 11-5.
You don't win friends with salad.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#16 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:25 pm

pancakes3 wrote:I'm excited about the Taylor pickup, but I'm not one to say that it's the missing cog to the juggernaut machine known as the 'skins. We lack receivers. Big receivers with soft hands that can reel in Campbell's overthrows easily without stretching out and exposing ribs. Campbell can bomb it a country mile, and zip it on a 5 yard hitch, but his intermediate passes are consistently 8 inches too high, which is especially dangerous for the intermediate pass-catchers.

With Santana Moss and Randel-El as our starting receivers, we lack size which is the defining criterion for a #1 receiver. Santana Moss can get downfield in a hurry, but he has to run extra fast to beat the outstretched arms of an interfering DB. It's rare that you see the secondary being bigger than the wide outs, but Carlos Rogers, Springs, and Smoot are all taller than either Moss or Randel-El. Taylor's a good pickup, but it would've been nice if we had picked up a receiver like Jacksonville has been doing. Joey Porter would've made our offensive skill positions complete and Campbell's job 100 times easier.

The Redskins drafted 3 bigger receivers with their 3 2nd round picks.

Devin Thomas, 6'2.
Malcolm Kelly 6'4
Fred Davis 6'4 (tight end)

If anything the Redskins picked up too many big targets instead of addressing other needs.

I also have to disagree that Campbell is accurate in throwing the ball deep. I don't recall many Campbell to Santana connection
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#17 » by Wizardspride » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:28 pm

pancakes3 wrote:I'm excited about the Taylor pickup, but I'm not one to say that it's the missing cog to the juggernaut machine known as the 'skins. We lack receivers. Big receivers with soft hands that can reel in Campbell's overthrows easily without stretching out and exposing ribs.

Have you ever heard of Devin Thomas,Fred Davis and Malcom Kelly? :nod:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#18 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:58 pm

Cramer wrote:As for the division, Philly looks like it's retooled it's defense nicely and their D is always tough, even in down years. Dallas is loaded, especially with the additions in the secondary (say hello to the bench in passing downs, Roy, which was the only hole in that defense), and look what the Giants did to Dallas, GB and NE in the playoffs. That was **** impressive. That division is going to be a bitch.

Philly has horrible linebackers. There going to get run all over.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Post#19 » by pancakes3 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:17 pm

- santana hasn't been fully healthy since 2005
- both moss and randle-el have 13 and 14 ypc respectively, which individually means they're not huge gainers, but in tandem means that Campbell airs it out once in a while
- Thomas, Kelly, are... Draft picks all of them. yes. high draft picks. high, heralded all-american draft picks. but i'm not holding my breath for WRs drafted early. Dwayne Jarret, 2 catches on the season. Steve Smith, 8. Both were heralded 2nd rounders. On the other hand, Calvin Johnson and Sidney Rice and that guy in KC, bowe, all had fine years. Malcom Kelly may one day be #1 receiver material, definitely not for the upcoming season lined up as the X receiver one-on-one with safety help.
-Davis is a big boy who can run the seam and open up the middle for randle-el but again as a rookie, it still stands to view him as a load-bearing beam. Rookies are nice, but they're frills on top. They can't be expected to shoulder the burden of a team, (read: Derrick Rose, Beasley, McFadden, Jamarcus Russel, Reggie Bush, etc).

I'd rather have Porter than any two of the draft picks.
Bullets -> Wizards
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#20 » by spaceman_E » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:04 am

I was wondering who you meant by Joey Porter. Joey is a linebacker, Jerry Porter is the WR. He is decent, has good size and can catch a deep ball, but he's nothing special. I forget which team it was, but someone also gave him a monster contract this offseason. Something the Skins were wise not to do. Straight up (Please Use More Appropriate Word) by whoever signed him.
You don't win friends with salad.

Return to Washington Football Team