Resurrected unified MUSIC thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,437

Re: Resurrected unified MUSIC thread. 

Post#121 » by doclinkin » Sat Apr 4, 2009 5:52 pm

Speaking of mash-ups, acoustics, loop pedals, beat-box:

Walk on the wildside, to Can I kick it to Freebird to shoop to what a man to sublime to Biz Markie to Blackstreet to etc... live acoustic.

Not to bad. More for shxts and giggles, but not bad. Here.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#122 » by barelyawake » Sat Apr 4, 2009 9:17 pm

FYI, the reason why I love Level - The Raconteurs, I mean besides the fact that it's just a killer riff, is the fact it's a duet changes the meaning for me. I have no idea if it is intentional, but the fact that it's a duet (and the fact that the lyrics go "I'm guessin'/and I'm guessin' all the time"), makes it seem as though they are both dating the same chick (and both guessing if, and trying to make themselves assume that, she is faithful. And all the while, both are being unfaithful to her, because they can't trust her). Again, probably reading too much into it, but that's how I hear it (and why I like it a lot). So, it's like a "level," with the girl in the middle and the two of them on either side (with each of them "carrying the load.")
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#123 » by barelyawake » Sun Apr 5, 2009 12:53 am

Alright, this game let's do "Seven Nation Army" -- because I don't care how damn commercial it is, and even though it's not close to the best song lyrically, I love that damn song. Plus, I got RATM next, and that's a friggin' complex, history lesson -- if I can even remember all the references -- so, let's do something simple.

The first key to this song is knowing the fact that "Seven Nation Army" is what Jack called the "Salvation Army" when he was toddler. So, the name of the song is actually a child saying the "Salvation Army." Might also help to know that Jack made a choice as a kid between being a priest or a rocker. He was all set to go into seminary, and opted to join a band instead. Obviously, this isn't the most complex of poems, but I like listening to this song. So, F' it.

Seven Nation Army

I'm gonna fight 'em off, a seven nation army couldn't hold me back.
(So, he's being attacked. And it's regressing him -- making him want to return to the simplicity of childhood. And as a kid he thought the "Salvation Army" was a real army that saves people, so he has "seven nations'" worth of armies trying to stop him. That both makes him this angry Colossus and makes it so this Christian force is attempting to save him -- from himself. The whole song is about returning to God, so it matters that the Salvation Army is a Christian org.)

They're gonna rip it off,
taking their time right behind my back.

(So, this enemy he's in this epic struggle with views him as inconsequential. "Rip it off" indicates theft -- they are going to take what they want from him, and there is nothing he can do. Plus, since we have come off the war images, "rip it off" is a graphic image of bodily injury (which is even more painful, since they are going to "take their time" about it). Ending both lines in "back" isn't coincidence. It's a command to himself and the enemy. Back to what? Childhood. Purity.)

And I'm talking to myself at night, because I can't forget.
Back and forth through my mind,
behind a cigarette.
And the message coming from my eyes,
says leave it alone.

(So, now he's isolated and in the dark. His thoughts are marching back and forth restless -- again an army image -- until his eyes are burning from lack of sleep. We purposefully go right from cigarette to eyes to emphasize the "burning" -- meaning both raging eyes and sleepily, stinging eyes. Read another way, he has no one he can trust in the daylight -- so, he has to hide at night and talk to himself. It's also purposeful that he's "alone" and "talking to himself at night" -- not praying. But, we'll learn that later.)

Don't want to hear about it.
Every single one's got a story to tell.

(No subject. Both I and you all, "Don't want to hear about it." But, coming right off him talking to himself, we assume he's chiding himself for being so self-involved. He's no one special. His story is unimportant. But, read another way, he's saying he doesn't want to hear about gossip -- because everyone has skeletons in their closet. And he's chiding someone for spreading rumors.)

Everyone knows about it,
from the Queen of England to the hounds of hell.

(So, going from rumors to the Queen of England, we immediately think tabloids -- because that's what they report on. The images of Queen of England and hounds of hell continues the "epic" struggle theme -- making him either royalty or a Greek hero. But, considering the end of this poem, we tend to think he means to focus on the extravagant wealth of the Queen, and obviously, the evilness of hounds of hell. Those two extremes comprise "everyone" in the world he currently lives -- thus there is no real purity. So, we're getting the idea that this "epic struggle" is either with the press or fame itself.)

And if I catch you comin' back my way,
I'm gonna sell it to you.
And that ain't what you want to hear.
But, that's what I'll do.
And the feeling coming from my bones says find a home.

(We are slowly deconstructing. First they ripped things off us; then our eyes were burned; now we are down to bones. Gotta tell ya, this is the part where he loses me. I get the general idea -- if you spread lies about me, I'll spread them about you. But, the way it's worded sorta loses me. Obviously, the "backs" and the "homes" at the end of the lines are purposeful -- telling himself to go back to before he decided to become a rocker; before fame and lies.)

I'm going to Wichita,
far from this opera forever more.

(Both a theater of war and dramatic production reference. He's leaving the stage/struggle for farm country.)

I'm gonna work the straw.
(Honest work -- versus being a celebrity. Mid-western values. So, we went from epic, furious general to a basic, farm hand. We went from smoking by ourselves pondering over our self-image to out in the middle of nowhere doing manual labor.)

Make the sweat drip out of every pore.
and I'm bleedin'
and I'm bleedin'
and I'm bleedin'
right before the Lord.

(So, now we are down to blood. And the repeating three times and blood images are obvious religious/Biblical references. So, before we were killing ourselves for the likes of self-interest, the press, the rich and the hounds of hell, and now we are doing it for righteous reasons. And we started with ourselves as a vindictive, godlike figure, and end bowing before the Lord.)

All the words are gonna bleed from me, and I will think no more.
And the stains coming from my blood tell me go back home.

(And we end back as a child again running to our mother -- like as if we had a skinned knee. Back where he could have opted to be a servant of God -- rather than a rock star. We start with "I" and end back "home.")
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#124 » by doclinkin » Mon Apr 6, 2009 6:55 am

Don't know if y'all know about Pandora.com 'the music genome project'.

You type in the name of a song you like and it builds a playlist of sonically similar songs. Doesn't let you freely navigate (back up to hear a song again, you can only skip a few songs per hour) which gets annoying but still comes up with some interesting recommends.
Mortality Pie
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#126 » by Mortality Pie » Tue May 5, 2009 2:37 am

Hello..

I think I can contribute nicely to this thread, so I fealt my first post should be here.

Quick things about me:

- I was born and raised in DC, went to DCPS, etc. and I'm a big skins/wiz/caps fan.
- I have some stat skills, but they are mostly non-basketball related.
- I love funk, blues, reggae, hip-hop, etc.
- I am currently a grad student at UM-Baltimore.
- I've been lurking here awhile, so I think I have a good handle on the rules and whatnot.
- CCJ, I love the Chocolate City album. Excellent avatar choice.
- When it comes to the wiz, I tend to fluctuate between extreme optimism and abject despair.
- We're getting a damn top-two pick this year. I can feel it.
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#127 » by DallasShalDune » Tue May 5, 2009 2:41 am

barelyawake wrote:FYI, the reason why I love Level - The Raconteurs, I mean besides the fact that it's just a killer riff, is the fact it's a duet changes the meaning for me. I have no idea if it is intentional, but the fact that it's a duet (and the fact that the lyrics go "I'm guessin'/and I'm guessin' all the time"), makes it seem as though they are both dating the same chick (and both guessing if, and trying to make themselves assume that, she is faithful. And all the while, both are being unfaithful to her, because they can't trust her). Again, probably reading too much into it, but that's how I hear it (and why I like it a lot). So, it's like a "level," with the girl in the middle and the two of them on either side (with each of them "carrying the load.")

Raconteurs are also beast live, as is Level, which has slightly extended solos. Very, very epic.
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#128 » by DallasShalDune » Tue May 5, 2009 2:46 am

There are some cool posts in this thread. I wish I looked at it sooner. I guess I assumed most people would be posting about music I don't like very much, like Top 40 stuff. But the cover links were sweet, barelyawake, as well as the song posts (ie Seven Nation Army). Good insights. I just wrote a 10 pg paper on two Bob Dylan songs (Desolation Row and Ballad of a Thin Man) for my Literary Theory class. I hope it's solid as some of these interpretations.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#129 » by doclinkin » Tue May 5, 2009 4:35 am

Mortality Pie wrote:Hello..

I think I can contribute nicely to this thread, so I fealt my first post should be here.

Quick things about me:

- I was born and raised in DC, went to DCPS, etc. and I'm a big skins/wiz/caps fan.
- I have some stat skills, but they are mostly non-basketball related.
- I love funk, blues, reggae, hip-hop, etc.
- I am currently a grad student at UM-Baltimore.
- I've been lurking here awhile, so I think I have a good handle on the rules and whatnot.
- CCJ, I love the Chocolate City album. Excellent avatar choice.
- When it comes to the wiz, I tend to fluctuate between extreme optimism and abject despair.
- We're getting a damn top-two pick this year. I can feel it.

Welcome home, brother.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#130 » by miller31time » Tue May 5, 2009 7:38 am

Mortality Pie wrote:- When it comes to the wiz, I tend to fluctuate between extreme optimism and abject despair.

You really ARE one of us!

(Welcome, by the way)
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#131 » by Zerocious » Thu May 7, 2009 12:16 am

don't know whether to post this here or start the unified home recipe thread......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oidf72-Y28

oh well, got a laugh out of it
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#132 » by barelyawake » Thu May 7, 2009 9:38 pm

OK, so you can just go f' everything I've said in this thread about me lovin' simple music (three chords and spitting), because I'm a huge fan of this new version of the math rock movement. Ever since a friend turned me onto Maps & Atlases (a few months ago), I have rapidly grown a collection of the stuff. I friggin' love it. Lately we've been wallowing in this Frampton rap (what I call the talk box trend -- Akon et al -- which was novel the first few songs, just as it was with Frampton, but he didn't make a career out of it) and a punk revival (which is great, but the retread is never as good as the original).

Check out:

This town needs guns
Maps and Atlases
Minus the Bear
Tubelord
Secondsmile

Influenced by:
Shellac
Slint

Between the new math rock movement; the experimental punk and "real" hiphop revivals; and the reinvention of industrial, we are just entering another great era in rock history. IMO we haven't had a movement I've liked since grunge and industrial. I don't count rapcore since that's rehash of Ice-T and Korn, and Grind or Screamo were never my thing. And yes, we had mathcore too (The Dillinger Escape Plan & Protest the Hero), which lead to this latest crop. I think this new version of math rock is that movement that at least I've been wating for. I know I'm a late to the party (actually the latest "prog" has been an underground movement for well over three years), but I just got plugged into it a few months ago. Although I've known of bands like Minus the Bear and Don Cab for awhile (and Shellac and Slint before them), I never saw the extent of this latest wave.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#133 » by barelyawake » Thu May 7, 2009 9:44 pm

DallasShalDune wrote:But the cover links were sweet, barelyawake, as well as the song posts (ie Seven Nation Army). Good insights.

Thanks ya very much. Throw up some stuff from your paper if ya want. I always love hearing poems broken down. And yeah, if people run into new bands, please... please... speak-up.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#134 » by barelyawake » Sun May 10, 2009 1:08 am

OK Doc et al, maybe in this thread I've gone overboard on the Biggie downin'. Girlfriend threw on a mix in the car this afternoon with a couple Biggie jams on it, and I've softened -- remembering how much I liked him pre-Puffy selling him out. But, Puffy really put a bad taste in my mouth about Biggie's whole body of work. I truly believe that Puffy was the reason hip hop died (at least in the mainstream). Now, here's my (and every old skooler's) answer to Puffy's entire career in front of the mic -- not to mention every song by Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, etc etc etc...

Gang Starr -- Mass Appeal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EWJ9Jrx ... playnext=1

"...And you'd be happy as hell to get a record deal. Maybe your soul you'd sell to have mass appeal."
-- Guru

That song has meaning. It has a point -- a reason for being. It defined the standard of "real rap" -- both then and now. And that's why it is, and always will be, one of the greatest rap songs of all time. And why Puffy's career is meaningless in the stream of time. P.E. went platinum without ever being in the media or having a single song on the radio. Just friends handing each other tapes until they blew-up. Why? Because the radio wouldn't play 'um, and they wouldn't sellout to get on radio. Same with old punk. Same with Metallica, Pantera and Fugazi. And that's why you got the old folks talkin' about "real rap" -- which thankfully is making a comeback (as rap artists realize how played out the game got -- same thing happened to "glam rock"). So, hopefully, the last 10 years of rap will be looked at as disco (with a few exceptions -- Eminem, Nas, Jay-z, and a few handfuls of underground MCs like Mos Def and Last Emp). And we'll forge ahead with "real" rap. Music should be about a message or love of an artform. Not a means to get boats and cars. Because that means nothing beyond today. And that's why Eminem's new album, thus far, is garbage. It's meaningless. It has no reason for being. Honestly, those first two songs (and 85% of the third) just got me upset. What a waste of words and talent on nonsense.

Speakin' of Last Emp and old school worship:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SPjPGeYlMU
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#135 » by barelyawake » Sun May 10, 2009 5:11 am

Babble about Don Caballero...
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#136 » by bulletproof_32 » Sun May 10, 2009 5:59 am

My brother lives in Austin, so I'm heading out there for a (long overdue) visit in October for the Austin City Limits festival.

If anyone has any input as to "must see" acts, I'd appreciate it.

Here's the lineup

Based on my (limited) knowledge and research here's what I've got so far (although, I'm not sure how the scheduling with the various stages is going to work):

Friday:

Beasties
Kings of Leon
Mos Def
Avett Brothers
Daniel Johnston
Medeski, Martin and Wood
Low Anthem

Saturday:

DMB
The Levon Helm Band
The Decemberist
Citizen Cope
Flogging Molly
Bon Iver
Grizzly Bear (thanks, barely!)
Damien Horne

Sunday:

Pearl Jam
Ben Harper
The Dead Weather
Arctic Monkeys
Dan Auerbach
Brett Dennan

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 557

Post#137 » by daSwami » Sun May 10, 2009 2:28 pm

proof - I'd say your choices are spot on, and I'm envious. Only thing I'd add is that if you dig the Avett Bros.' set on Friday, consider checking out the Felice Bros. on Saturday - similar style.
:banghead:
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#138 » by bulletproof_32 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:30 am

Thank you very much, Swami -- I'm definitely gonna catch the Felice Brothers set. I just listened to (and downloaded) their self titled disc (I'll look into their other stuff when I get a chance).
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#139 » by barelyawake » Tue May 12, 2009 1:48 pm

OK, enough with the thinkin' music for a bit. Back to my beloved three chords and spitting.

The Black Keys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXlgISd3iA

BB Brunes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szG1MiFbHlU

Heavy Trash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg0QAc6kCKM

And a couple extra helpings of Black Keys (since I forgot to add them to my list w/ White Stripes and Rocco).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHeF2lFO ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CfPexJFe8o

And Black Keys always remind me of Bad Company for some reason.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbtNwmbAK0
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#140 » by BanndNDC » Tue May 12, 2009 7:39 pm

bulletproof_32 wrote:My brother lives in Austin, so I'm heading out there for a (long overdue) visit in October for the Austin City Limits festival.

If anyone has any input as to "must see" acts, I'd appreciate it.

Here's the lineup

id try and add thievery corp, k'naan, clutch. on the other hand thievery does their thing every so often at 18th St. Lounge (which they own) but you have to get there real early on those days and clutch is regularly in town. i dig k'naan a lot but as with all hip hop not sure how well it would translate to a live setting (if it's with a band i would definitely go)

[laughing about barely throwing out the black keys since i was "rediscovering" them on my ipod last week.]
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.

Return to Washington Wizards