ImageImageImageImageImage

Resurrected unified MUSIC thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

thewizards2k2
Freshman
And1: 0

Re: Resurrected unified MUSIC thread. 

Post#21 » by thewizards2k2 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 2:15 am

These are for people who are willing to at least listen and who have open minds:

List of artists/producers to listen to:

count bass d, mf doom, el-p, madlib, Madvillain, Prefuse 73, Pigeon John, Busdriver, daedelus, Cannibal Ox, blueprint, illogic, mr lif, diverse, Savath and Savalas, Delarosa &;; Asora, Four tet, Sage Francis, DangerDOOM, nonprofits, edan, CloudDead, Sigur Ros, Blonde Redhead, Adventure Time, ahmad szabo, Doseone, Blockhead, King Geedorah, Four Tet, Denali, John Vanderslice, Piano Overlord, VInaya, Ed Mecija, Montag, French Kicks (The), Doseone, Christina Rosenvinge, Oomiaq, koushik, EGLANTINE GOUZY, Quasimoto, CancelN, Los Iracundos, Reverie Sound Revue, The Artificial Sea, Robert Wyatt, messirdee, low in the sky, Hoepffner, and Dorit Chrysler, thelonglost

My recommended myspace pages to check out:

http://www.myspace.com/vinayamusic

http://www.myspace.com/oomiaq

http://www.myspace.com/daedelusdarling

http://www.myspace.com/blonderedhead

http://www.myspace.com/prefusion1973

http://www.myspace.com/milenkathepyramids

http://www.myspace.com/delarosaasora

http://www.myspace.com/findthelonglost

http://www.myspace.com/monikaenterprise

http://www.myspace.com/chicaandthefolder

http://www.myspace.com/ggut

http://www.myspace.com/savathysavalas1

http://www.myspace.com/frenchkicks

I also have an online mp3 player with my favorite indie songs if you dont like anything above:

http://www.myspace.com/larrym

My hope is that people here will listen. i will add more later.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,392

Post#22 » by doclinkin » Thu Aug 7, 2008 5:24 am

thewizards2k2 wrote:...[too much information...brain fusing...]...

An eclectic and interesting mix, but I can't work my way through the whole list. ( I got up to Cannibal Ox --'painkillers' is pretty good; I liked at least one song by Pigeon John; daedelus is odd but sonically dense and baroque w/ deeply quirky videos). I just don't have the time to dig all the archaeological layers.

Gun to the head: what's the best one song by one guy in your list. Link?

I decided recently I hate myspace. The shxt takes too long to load, with all the visual clutter and bells and whistles. Slows down everything else I got open.

----

@ keynote:

Benny sings. The guy is dutch? Really catchy stuff.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#23 » by doclinkin » Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:34 am

Best live shows I've seen over the past decade were not necessarily by bands I'd listen to at home, or on a regular basis. Like G-Love and Special Sauce, got no real use for them on CD or download, but the show was just funky.

And Soul Coughing before they broke up.
(Soft serve for example.)
(Or Lazybones)
Big fan of that upright bass, me.

Probably I was most surprised and impressed by world music fusion band Zap Mama, touring for their A Ma Zone album -- that CD is solid all the way through, I haven't heard much they've done before or since (I'll probably track down the Talib Kweli/Common track on the recent release) but that one album has a place in my playlist. The frontwoman Marie Daulne has a powerfully interesting voice, will beatbox, sing jazz, traditional pygmy songs-- sometimes all in one song. Amazing vocal range and versatile tone. Can't find good links, but I recommend a live show if they tour again. Here's a piece of Marie Daulne mixing live to sing with herself. Seems like a theme: creative babes mixing live. She looks pregnant, normally she's kinda hot.

I've never seen a good live rap show except OutKast (once in NYC, early on, playing a free show at Columbia University) and another free show by Public Enemy a loongasss time ago. But you know, free makes many things better.
thewizards2k2
Freshman

Post#24 » by thewizards2k2 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 10:27 pm

You listened to a couple of different songs from the list doclinkin, which is very cool. You gave it a chance. most people wouldn't even consider giving different types of music a chance.

I can't just pick one favorite song because i have so many artists/producers that i admire. but if i had to choose, it would be Vinaya's - "Lejourseleve". "lejourseleve" is on my mp3 player here:

http://www.myspace.com/larrym

Actually my entire myspace is dedicated to INDIE music, that is it's purpose. So my favorite tracks from my favorite producers are on my mp3 player. so it should give you an idea of the types of songs i admire. Please feel free to listen.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#25 » by Soup's Uncle » Fri Aug 8, 2008 6:06 pm

If anyone is into prog, check out Umphrey's McGee. My fave band for like 5 years. They aren't main stream at all. They are bad@ss though.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#26 » by keynote » Fri Aug 8, 2008 7:57 pm

I can also get behind Zap Mama; they've contributed to a few Vinx projects as well.

doclinkin wrote:I've never seen a good live rap show except OutKast (once in NYC, early on, playing a free show at Columbia University) and another free show by Public Enemy a loongasss time ago. But you know, free makes many things better.

Oh, if you haven't seen The Roots live in concert, then you haven't really tried a live hip hop show yet. Seriously. Typically, I get annoyed at the "Wu model" of hip hop concerts: 50 random dudes milling around on stage (including entourage members, weed carriers, security, "guest" artists not on the bill cameo-ing in an unprofessional manner) shouting garbled lyrics into over-saturated mics. And, the sound is terrible--usually 'cause the artists didn't show up on time to sound check--so, the MCs spend half their time insulting the sound booth.

The Roots are professionals, and they do not disappoint. Even if you find their CDs boring, still check 'em out.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
keynote
General Manager

Post#27 » by keynote » Fri Aug 8, 2008 8:10 pm

Oops. Didn't explain who Vinx is:

Vinx is this guy who plays various African and Cuban percussion instruments (usually the djembe), and sings. He has a warm, baritone, and his singing style combines jazz, R&B, world, etc. He was discovered by Sting, and has collaborated w/ Stevie Wonder, Herbie Hancock, Cassandra Wilson, and Patrice Rushen, just to name a few. If you can find one of his first three albums (Rooms in My Fatha's House, I Love My Job, The Storyteller), pick it up: those albums have all gone out of print.

Here's his Myspace page, if you want to check him out; I recommend that you sample "Armida".

Vinx is one of my absolute favorites. He still performs regularly, in small, intimate venues across the country. A great event, and a nice date night.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
keynote
General Manager

Post#28 » by keynote » Fri Aug 8, 2008 8:18 pm

thewizards2k2 wrote:These are for people who are willing to at least listen and who have open minds:

I'm already up on Count Bass D (I like his EP, "Art For Sale", as well as his song "Violatin'", chopping up DJ Premier's "you know how dat go! Y'all violatin'. Straight up and down!"). He did a random mix of Stevie Wonder's "Overjoyed" with Jeru Tha Damaja's "Come Clean" that I always got a kick out of. :)

Deadelus: At first listen, I wasn't feeling their sound. They could use a professional mixer in the worst way (Bob Power; you there?), but their music isn't bad upon further reflection. I don't think I'll buy their album, but I'd nod my head and enjoy the sound if I heard it at a lounge somewhere.

Vinaya: I recognize the quality and the artistry, but I found the trance-like quality of the melodic structure hard to follow. It all kind of blended together.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#29 » by doclinkin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Reading up on the adidas nations program (NBA ballers travel with talented kids to various nations across the continents and ball with locals,t hen all reconvene in Dallas with the worlds best young prospects for a tourney. Jamison just got back from Sao Paolo Brasil).

Anyway Kyle Lowry and Josh Smith travelled to various African countries, seemed astounded that their presence wasn't as important or notable as a concert by afro-reggae singer Alpha Blondy.

I'd forgotten about him, okay pretty standard but decent roots reggae, but anyway. The point is only, I just thought it might be interesting to members of the Tribe to hear the old "baruch atah adonai" as a reggae chant: Here from a concert in Jerusalem, (first song).
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#30 » by doclinkin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:14 am

Looking forward to the new album by Red Snapper ('Pale Blue Dot' October 08).

Triphop jazz instrumentalists, they reconvened after a break-up.

Representative video.

Official page.

Lo recordings site.

Fan site.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#31 » by doclinkin » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:51 am

Liking the mellow lope of CECIL OTTER's (*) new solo venture Rebel Yellow, (due out 8/26).
(* Minneapolis hiphop collective Doomtree, one video here)

Cecil's otter's Myspace jukebox.

Poetical, lyrically dense with images and mangled simile, occasionally overblown on the emotional drama of the musical support, but interesting enough to listen twice to decode.

Dessa Darling (of Doomtree also). Similarly dense poetix. I like the tone of her voice. Whiskey warm. I like her jazz backing and sexual espanol en la cut 'Sadie Hawkins'. Pretty delicious.

And come on now, from her clip '551':

"She's a Latter-Day Saint, but a Saturday sinner
Sunday's suicide for weekends drinking her dinner.
The worry keeps her slender, the pills keep her awake
her man can't keep her happy but he helps to still the shakes..."

Shoot-- she might could gonna make me re-open the poetry throwdown.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 555

Post#32 » by daSwami » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:51 pm

How's about a shout out for a few of our favorite local musicians. the DC area music scene is no longer as vibrant as it once was. especially considering that dc birthed the hardcore punk scene as well as go-go music. but it's been awhile since any noteworthy artists have emerged from DC. as a someone who has long labored on the periphery of the local music scene (having played guitar and/or bass in numerous area rock bands since as early as 1993), I've been to ALOT of shows and have personally come to know many great local musicians. here are a few of my current favorites in different genres (in an attempt to stay objective i will avoid including my own musical projects, which are, of course, brilliant).

on the rock front ...

first i will give a shout out to our very own Soup's Uncle, groove-heavy prog-rockers in the King Crimson vain.

checkout the Assrockers for good ol'fashioned vintage garage rock.

for Radiohead-style atmospherics check out Telograph

My personal favorite band is Snuggle (sort of Primus meets Slayer. must hear their 3-song tribute to Leprechuans)

in the punk category I recommend:

The Supreme Commanders (post-core)

Just Like Always (pop-punk)

Rude Buddha (pop-punk/ska/alt rock)

As for hip-hop/rap check out:

The Five One (mega-talented kids from Reston who play their own instruments and make great music ala Outkast and Gnarls Barkley)

Team Demolition

Yesterday's Truth

I'm eager to hear suggestions for other local acts worth checking out.
:banghead:
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#33 » by doclinkin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Astronautalis.

This kid is still touring around by himself with a laptop playing house parties and zero-cover-charge gigs, but will soon break insanely large. Real nice guy. All three discs are solid, first disc is more rap, he's been getting more tuneful.

Check this one:
Skeleton (everybody's favorite).

And since his vid Respondele went viral you probably have heard of Jose Conde y Ola Fresca But they've been pretty good for a while.

New York latin funk/salsa/jazz grooves, funky deep bottom bass with latin ritmos. Typical of NYC latin jazz: some hiphop rhythms, nice bass, solid throughout. I liked their first disc (Ay que rico). This newer one is similarly good.

Ride la ola (ride the wave).
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,346

Post#34 » by dobrojim » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:42 pm

OK, this could be interesting...

as per my netname, I play music...been playing guitar for ~40 years and mostly
at this time, play flatpick stuff a la Doc Watson/Tony Rice. And fiddle tunes and such.
But I also play dobro aka resonator or resophonic guitar (a mechanically amplified
style of guitar, often played with a slide, in open G tuning). Having said I play music,
it's good for my family that I have a day job because while I consider myself competent,
there're a ton of extremely talented people out there who make next to nothing
through their music and if they didn't have a day job or a supporting spouse, would
starve and/or be homeless.

My number one by far musical hero/guy I could listen to all day long is Jerry
Douglas who in addition to being a featured member of Allison Krause & Union
Station is a solo artist with some really great eclectic recordings. He can be heard
on a TON of other folks' recordings having participated in over 1000 sessions
(see jerrydouglas.com). FWIW, the guy has won a ton of grammies and other
musical awards.

My fav 2 musicians, living and not, are Jerry and Duane Allman becuase of the passion
with which they express themselves as well as their complete mastery of their respective
instruments.

My ~80G iPod has a pretty wide variety of different things on it from extensive
coverage of 60s/70s classic rock/pop as well as things which others would describe
as bluegrass but I think more of as new acoustic music...things like Jerry, Bela Fleck
(not so much Flecktones although I like them) Tim O'Brien (another of my most
favorite performers and and unbelievable good songwriter/singer/multi-instrumentalist.

the 60/70s stuff I listen to ranges from Beatles/Beach Boys pop-ish 60s stuff to
the early heavier rock like Hendrix, Allman Bros, Marshall Tucker, Ten Years After,
Little Feat (still a great live band), Dire Straits. JJ Cale is a big fav of mine along with
Clapton.

I will also listen to the occasional jazz things like Weather Report, older stuff like
Benny Goodman, Django. And Bill Frisell. Wes Montgomery is another. And Miles.

Some other fav singer/songwriters include Joni, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Jesse Winchester.

more current fav that I got turned onto is a jam-band called Assembly of Dust (the Honest Hour)

I almost NEVER listen to commercial or sat radio for music becuase I can put my iPod
in shuffle mode and listen to it for hours due to the variety of things that pop up.

FWIW, I will be performing (for the first time in about a year) in Herndon on the second
Tues of the month at the Tortilla Factory at the open mic there.

Music I don't like much - opera, commercial country music, not that into hip-hop
(sorry just a old sq white guy who doesn't hear enough musicality in hip-hop).
Head banger punk or metal when it also fails to meet my musicality threshold.

Other major influences on me are Glen Kuykendall (he has a myspace page, or maybe it's
facebook) and Mike Auldridge. I've had lessons from both of these guys over the years.
Glen used to live next door to me when we were kids (a long time ago). He's a GREAT
guitar player.

Oh yeah- I would be remiss if I failed to mention I like the blues as done in a variety of styles.

And some classical music as well with Mozart and Beethoven being 2 of my more preferred
composers. But I don't listen to a lot of classical. Every now and then. Variety is the spice
of life.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Da HomeTeam
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#35 » by Da HomeTeam » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:12 pm

daSwami wrote:

Hip-Hop heads will love WALE...he's not as underground as he was a few years ago but still not quite mainstream yet either.

He's a Silver Spring native...went to VA State I think. Hooked up with Kenny Burns for a while...he recently signed a deal with Interscope and he's been workin lately with The Roots, and Mark Ronson.
Here's a review of his Seinfeld Themed - "Mixtape about Nothing"
http://www.culturebully.com/wale-the-mi ... ing-review
R.I.P. #21 - Gone but not forgotten!
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by BanndNDC » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:21 pm

daSwami wrote:My personal favorite band is Snuggle (sort of Primus meets Slayer. must hear their 3-song tribute to Leprechuans)

really? that sounds amazing. gonna have to check them out toot-sweet.

pretty good. definitely hear the primus. not sure about the slayer (oh, yeah it's there in the vocals). they're like a modern east coast version of infectious grooves.

http://www.snugglerock.com/PuddingMou.mp3
http://www.snugglerock.com/Snuggle-%20Dance.mp3
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 555

Post#37 » by daSwami » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:45 pm

this will likely mean nothing to most on this board, but it's important to me. GnR is streaming Chinese Democracy on http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses right now!
:banghead:
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#38 » by fishercob » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:22 pm

I seem to recall that Ruzious and I have similar musical tastes, specifically the Allmans.

My alltime faves are Paul Simon, Ray Charles, James Taylor, Grateful Dead, The ABB. I love classic R&B like the Temptations "Can't get next to you" or Gladys Knight's rendition of "Grapevine." I also enjoy Jurassic 5, the Wu, Eva Cassidy, and -- yep -- a lot of Broadway stuff. So there's a range.

The newest band that I'm into is a group called The Upwelling, who recently signed with a label owned by Tyson RItter of The All American Rejects. Their influences include the Cure, Pink Floyd, Violent Femmes. They have a bunch of songs on their website (http://www.theupwelling.com/) My faves include The Steps, Love is Dead, American Night, and Murdered by a Big Bomb.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
keynote
General Manager

Post#39 » by keynote » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Da HomeTeam wrote:
daSwami wrote:

Hip-Hop heads will love WALE...he's not as underground as he was a few years ago but still not quite mainstream yet either.

He's a Silver Spring native...went to VA State I think. Hooked up with Kenny Burns for a while...he recently signed a deal with Interscope and he's been workin lately with The Roots, and Mark Ronson.
Here's a review of his Seinfeld Themed - "Mixtape about Nothing"
http://www.culturebully.com/wale-the-mi ... ing-review

co-sign on Wale. The 'Mixtape About Nothing' was distributed via free download initially; so it won't cost you anything to give him a try.
JustOneFix
Analyst
And1: 408

Post#40 » by JustOneFix » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:48 pm

floydfan29 wrote:On the live music front, Buckethead with That 1 Guy is coming to Richmond, Norfolk, and Falls Church in October. It's sure to be an awesome show. For those of you unfamiliar with Buckethead:

Buckethead rules. I like him best in colaboration with Les Claypool in Les Claypool's Frog Brigade. That's insane music.

I'm curently waiting for new Revolting Cocks record "Sexo Olympico"! It's the very last record by uncle Al, i can't miss that.

Return to Washington Wizards