ImageImageImageImageImage

Resurrected unified MUSIC thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,392

Re: Resurrected unified MUSIC thread. 

Post#81 » by doclinkin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:55 pm

BanndNDC wrote:he Anthrax version of Bring da Noise was absolutely amazing. They had done some of the cheesy rap metal before with Im The Man but when they got together with PE that put a real groove to it. No Sleep till Brooklyn of course had that Kerry King solo.

In the realm of the whole metal/funk/rap mix up i remember a great show at the old 930 of 24-7 SPyz/Follow for Now/the Hard Corps. the Body Count show was pretty bad ass too.

I am such an old man. Music was better when i was in high school and we were so lucky to be able to go to so many shows at relatively cheap prices.

rap metal
The Hard Corps - Hard Corps

funk metal
Infectious Grooves - You lie.. And yo breath stank

I saw 24/7 Spyz with Fishbone and I think Living Color (though that might have been another show).

I miss fishbone.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#82 » by barelyawake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:56 pm

LOL Bannd, we had exactly the same record collection. I had, and loved, the Infectious Grooves album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgmfyFm30OE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeiiee10 ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcrG05S_ ... re=channel
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#83 » by BanndNDC » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:57 pm

doclinkin wrote:Bannd's linked site pointed me to Poor Righteous Teachers, remember Rock Dis Funky Joint. I'm pretty sure if I'd ever seen the video, these some odd looking cats. Truth is 80's video fashion has not aged well at all, but the dance step stuff was even worse, mad corny, the whole mess...

great song cant believe i forgot it. the fashion is a bit funny but considering this was the "A Different World" era it was surprisingly understated and nowhere near as bad (looking back) as some of the other stuff that was out there.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#84 » by barelyawake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:57 pm

I saw 24/7 Spyz with Fishbone and I think Living Color (though that might have been another show).

Ditto all those.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#85 » by doclinkin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:16 pm

BanndNDC wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Bannd's linked site pointed me to Poor Righteous Teachers, remember Rock Dis Funky Joint. I'm pretty sure if I'd ever seen the video, these some odd looking cats. Truth is 80's video fashion has not aged well at all, but the dance step stuff was even worse, mad corny, the whole mess...

great song cant believe i forgot it. the fashion is a bit funny but considering this was the "A Different World" era it was surprisingly understated and nowhere near as bad (looking back) as some of the other stuff that was out there.

By 'mess' I meant the entire fashion era of my lost youth. I recall rockin a few Cosby sweaters. Went through the post-apocalyptic punk rock Mad Max/Road Warrior deal. I think I figured it out by late high school when I went through a faze never deviating from jeans, white tee, leather jacket.

Just saying though, looking back at all the vids from those eras looks more and more ridiculous no matter how funky the song. Comical to me. Not that we won't look back in a decade or two and say "superman dat ho..." what the hell was that all about? Fat Joe was keeping an eye out on his legacy with the " my **** don't dance, we just pull up our pants and... lean back". Kinda hard to mess that up.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by BanndNDC » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:19 pm

barelyawake wrote:LOL Bannd, we had exactly the same record collection. I had, and loved, the Infectious Grooves album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgmfyFm30OE

yeah it's pretty funny. that was one of my favorite albums ever and i was a big suicidal fan at the time.

but it makes sense, same area, same time, similar background, similar influences. the only difference is i think i had more of a metal influence.

what an era, all that good hip hop, harDCore goin strong, and the apex of metal that was Seasons in the Abyss, Persistence of Time, Justice (although Master was better), Lights Camera, Seventh Son, Countdown to Extinction. Alice in Chains, Entombed, Pantera, Sepultura, Mr. Bungle.

my favorite groove metal song of the era
Cathedral - Ride
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#87 » by barelyawake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Yeah, I was more punk than metal. The first album I ever stole (and I would make weekly trips to Penguin Feather and load up): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ1RecSXXZ8

But, I went to about a billion Ozzy shows. Ditto the Cult. Friggin' LOVED the Cult. Ditto Metallica. Course, on the other side, I was a Blue Oyster and Rush fan too. I think the first song I ever played live was Limelight. Talent show. Seventh grade?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mwiURyX2B4

Course, I had the easy part. I only had to sing and play guitar. I let the real musicians handle the bass and drums, which are only close to impossible for a seventh grader. I had some very musical friends, especially drummers.
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#88 » by bulletproof_32 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:59 am

I'm still going strong with guitar lessons and am all into the singer/ songwriter stuff, but I'm drawn mostly to the stuff where the emotion comes across as genuine rather than contrived, and this guy (Justin Vernon aka Bon Iver) does the trick for me. Been dominating my rotation for a few months now.

Dude sings in a falsetto that just seems to work for him.

Brief back story: after a bad breakup (both his band and girl), he retreated to his pop's hunting cabin with the intention of "gathering his thoughts" and ended up recording a therapeutic album. Even if you don't dig the music, I think we can all relate to his plight.

Skinny Love on Letterman

Flume

And just because he ain't afraid to "sing" even though he's not a singer:

For Emma a cappella
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#89 » by barelyawake » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:22 am

I keep a list on my computer of songs I play on acoustic guitar (of course I have another list for electric too) for whenever the mood hits me. Since "Flume" is on there, figured I'd copy and paste it in case you find somethin' else you'd like to learn. The list is always changing. I get bored, add new groups, bring back old stuff etc... Here it is as of this month:

Eddie Vedder - Setting Forth
Elbow - The Bones Of You
Nirvana - Polly
The White Stripes - Fell In Love With A Girl
Pete Doherty - Beg, steal and borrow
Beck - Volcano
Radiohead - No Surprises
Wilco - Wishful Thinking
Verve - The drugs don't work
Buena Vista Social Club - Candela
Jane's Addiction - Jane Says
Wyclef - Gone til November
Bob Marley - Cry To Me
Bob Marley - Redemption Song
Joe Strummer - Rudie can't fail
Cat Stevens - Miles from nowhere
Cat Stevens - How can I tell you
Elliott Smith - Say yes
Elliott Smith - Big Nothing
Elliott Smith - Between the Bars
Beatles - I'm so tired
Beatles - Her Majesty
Beatles - Hide Your Love Away
Eels - Novocaine
Circle Jerks - The **** hits the Fan
Dylan - Not dark yet
Gary Jules - Mad World
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue
Bon Iver - Flume
Gipsy Kings - Un Amor
Fugazi - I'm So Tired
Bob Mould - See A Little Light
Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel World
Leon Redbone - Please Dont Talk About Me When Im Gone
Leon Redbone - I Aint Got Nobody
Robert Johnson - Love in Vain
REM - Talk about the passion
Taking Back Sunday - Cute Without The E
Rocky Votolato - Suicide medicine
XTC - Dear God
Foo - Everlong
Sublime - Bad Fish
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Death Cab For Cutie - You Can Do Better Than Me
Seu Jorge - Rebel Rebel (Portuguese version of David Bowie song)
Seu Jorge - Changes (Portuguese version of David Bowie song)
Lou Reed - Sick of you
The Strokes - Someday
Iron and Wine - Pagan Angel and a Borrowed Car

I think you'd dig the Wilco, Elliott Smith, Nick Drake, Leon Redbone and Seu Jorge (if you haven't heard them before).
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man

Post#90 » by bulletproof_32 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:06 pm

Very cool, barely. I'll definitely check out some of the tunes of the artists I'm not familiar with and see if I can learn a new song or two. Thanks.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#91 » by barelyawake » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:48 pm

No problem at all. A couple of the songs are piano (or were originally electric guitar), but I've either gotten adaptations or done them myself.

FYI, if you want to know my favorites off the list, and among my favorite songs ever, I'd say "Her Majesty" and "The Ballad of Big Nothing." Simply love those songs. "Her Majesty" because it's so simple, short and perfect. In thirty seconds, it conveys the emotion and ends. "Big Nothing" because... see next post...
MF23
Veteran

Post#92 » by MF23 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:24 pm

You know I saw Wise Intellegence on the Maury Povich show. It was about cheating partners or secret babies. I didn't watch the show but was amused and said rock this funky joint out load before I switched the channel.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#93 » by doclinkin » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:56 am

Okay in a mellow mood, posting a few more melodic things, you maybe bumped into before.

Theresa Andersson. Apparently I'm a sucker for live mixing, self-loop stuff. Here's this scrawny swedish girl who moved to New Orleans at age 18 to sing, now 20 years later getting some recognition. The girl can blow, really really belt a tune. The amazing thing, here she's using loop pedals to accompany and harmonize with herself, and drum, and play every other damn instrument, live:

Produced her album in her kitchen in new orleans. I jsut love how she's essentially acting as her own sound tech/producer from the knees down, turning volume knobs with her toes, etc. Well that and she's damn good:

Na Na Na

momadoc likes this one, the lyrics especially. I lvoe how she loops the breakbeat on a beat up old record player:

birds fly away.

All her stuff is catchy though. The song Hi -Lo (can be heard here). got stuck in my head for a day or so. Sweet syrupy but talent that can't be denied.

And speaking of melodic and stuff the wife liked:

Tracking down The Low Life (and Evan Bliss) I bumped into this band from New Zealand called Fly My Pretties, eclectic mix of styles, but this acoustic deal was really mellow moody and you know all lovely and shxt. Nothing groundbreaking, folk trio, vocal blending, but some nice guitar work, and pleasant to nod off to.

Singing in my soul.

Yeah, the Low Life, too bad they broke up, there's a swarm of good songs they put out before self-immolation. Evan Bliss is nice enough on his own, and it may sould like 311/Dispatch/OAR derivative stuff but they had a solid sound. There's a few of their songs on imeem.

I like this one here.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#94 » by barelyawake » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:55 pm

Now, ya'll got me diggin' through my acoustic, sheet music. And then, assailing la bella donna w/ impromptu recitals -- as she's attempting to sauté, or loofa, or collate, or what have you.

Pixies - Cactus
Iggy Pop - Passenger (acoustic version)
Toots & Ben Harper - Love gonna walk out on me
Jah Roots - Spliff & My Lady
Clarence Carter - Slip Away
Tracy Chapman - Baby can I hold you
King Missile - He Needed
King Missile - She Had Nothing
Actually, I transcribed the entire album "They" by King Missile. But, fair warning (if you haven't figured it already) I love music for mental patients...

Speaking of...
Daniel Johnston - True Love Will Find You In The End
Pink Floyd - Bike (acoustic translation)
They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse In Your Soul (acoustic version)
Several songs off Animal Collective "Sung Tongs" album
John Hammond - Get Behind The Mule (acoustic version of Tom Waits' song)
Ween - Object
Talking Heads - This Must Be The Place (acoustic translation)
Donovan - Sunshine Superman

Once the psychotropics have worn off, or kicked in, depending on your usual state of normality...
Led Zeppelin - That's The Way
Deerhunter - Agoraphobia
Pere Ubu - Breath
Heatmiser - Why Did I Decide To Stay? (acoustic version)
Blind Boy Fuller - I Want Some of Your Pie
Blind Boy Fuller - Sweet Honey Hole
Blind Boy Fuller - Worn Out Engine
Actually, with these ol' blues guys you can just list every damn song they played. I have volumes worth on each. You know how creationists point to the gaps in Evolution to prove God? You listen to enough blues (and attempt to play it), you'll firmly believe in the crossroads theory. Talk about mixing, those cats were sittin' on porches with worn out guitars and pickin' three different tunes at once on a single instrument -- without any Juilliard instructors.

Got folders-worth of straight jazz/classical/flamenco w/out lyrics. Still digging. I own, or have generated, a lot of sheet music. Which, as Monk would say, is both a gift and a curse to those within earshot. I figure you can just jump on YouTube or whatever; hear the first five seconds; and decide if you want to learn it. I know it was a friggin' pain to uncover good acoustic songs to play -- especially stuff with, at the time, tab music -- when I was starting. I remember I couldn't play anything but chords. And then, I spent literally three whole days (as Bryan Adams would say, until my fingers bled) just learning "Blackbird." And after that, things got easier.

And I don't think I properly expressed why I love the "Big Nothing" song (as if anyone cares). But, it's dragging me back to my days of poetry dissection in college, and I quite enjoy that bulls***. So, here's the deal. As Elliott says, "Throwing candy out to the crowd," the drummer does a fill traditionally reserved for the final bar of a song. So, not only does Elliott drop you in the middle of a song (that you haven't heard -- continuous, action verb with no subject), he's winding you up and dropping you at what should be the last line of the song. And the drummer keeps doing those fills throughout the song, with increasing intensity, as if it's a battle between the drummer wanting to end the song and Elliott continuing to add descriptions to keep the song going. And that's why it's perfect irony when it ends, "Though it doesn't mean a thing. Big nothing," as if the song wasn't worth writing (not to mention all the characters in the story will never change) -- because the drummer throughout the song was trying to end it. Also notice, the song starts with no subject, and it ends (abruptly) with no verb. Probably sounds like nonsense. But, there are certain artists whose songs about which I could write a book, because they play on so many levels. And Elliott Smith is one of those once in a decade guys, who you sit back in awe of how simple they make it seem. I know he got watered down and commercialized by "Good Will Hunting." But, songwriters ought to pay attention to him. Guy is a genius.

FYI, nice call on Low Life, Doc. Buying all o' them.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#95 » by barelyawake » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:20 am

Just adding here whenever I run into something interesting combing through my sheet music.
Atmosphere - Guarantees
the Airborne Toxic Event - Happiness is Overrated (acoustic version)
Grizzly Bear - While You Wait For The Others
City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
Smog - Vessel In Vain
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#96 » by barelyawake » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:20 am

double post
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by BanndNDC » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:19 pm

well it's another st. patrick's day. what better way is there to take our minds off the tanking economy and wizards then beer and the pogues? considering the way health care costs keep going up we may all soon look like shane macgowan anyway.

because nothing sounds better from a drunken mob then irish music...

If I Should Fall From Grace With God
Irish Rover
Sally MacLennane
streams of whiskey
wild rover
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#98 » by barelyawake » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:28 pm

Funny Ban, I was hearing Irish music on the FM, and came home looking for some Irish junk to strum. I know I have Pogues' music somewhere. All I could find was the imitation Pogues:
Flogging Molly - Life in a Tenement Square
Flogging Molly - Salty Dog
Blaggards - Botany Bay
Jackdaw - Hogjaw

But, no St. Pat's day is complete without Chieftians...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13MQFCfCYdQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnJgIq48 ... re=related
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 555

Post#99 » by daSwami » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:03 pm

in the spirit of erin go braugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVEwpYt0EwE
:banghead:
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man

Post#100 » by bulletproof_32 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:07 am

barelyawake wrote:Just adding here whenever I run into something interesting combing through my sheet music.
Atmosphere - Guarantees
the Airborne Toxic Event - Happiness is Overrated (acoustic version)
Grizzly Bear - While You Wait For The Others
City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
Smog - Vessel In Vain

I just checked out each of these songs on You Tube. Not a one I didn't like.

Man, I wish I could play the guitar better. Although, I think the Atmosphere and City of Colour songs are pretty attainable for my level.

I really liked Smog. Reminds me a little of Townes Van Zandt with that baritone. Gonna have to look up more of his stuff.

Doc - those Theresa Andersson videos blew me away. Girl is ridiculous.

Return to Washington Wizards