ImageImageImageImageImage

Armchair Coaching, Scouting, etc thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Re: Armchair Coaching, Scouting, etc thread. 

Post#41 » by doclinkin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:18 am

More of the leadership role that Brendan has embraced:
Wizards coach Eddie Jordan said earlier this week he wants to challenge Blatche to become a defensive stopper. Jordan envisions Blatche defending bigger small forwards like Houston's Tracy McGrady and Cleveland's LeBron James.

"I'm ready to go hard and prove myself," Blatche said. "Now that I've got a little more weight on me and I'm stronger, I'm more confident and feel like I can play either position. Last year I wasn't really studying other players' tendencies, seeing what they like to do, but in talking to [Haywood], I'm starting to learn that. And knowing that now, I think I can be a big help for our team."

Blatche needs to watch film on defensive positioning outside: low stance, active feet, on the balls of your feet, constantly shifting. If he just took a wider base he could make the opponent have to travel a long way to get around him, even if he's beat then he gets an extra step to call for help.

As long as he's watching video, I want him to roll tape on some offensive Big Man he can imitate in the post. He needs one go-to move to score down low. My customary suggestions are Kareem' s hook, McHale's up & under and elbow hook, or in a Dream world Hakeem's shimmy shake. Hey I'd take a Pat Ewing drop step, even. If he had one repeatable move with good efficiency he'd be a significant weapon out there. Right now he'll do alot of interesting moves, but nothing you can count on each time down court.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#42 » by LyricalRico » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:42 pm

^ EJ wants Blatche to guard TMac and LeBron? :crazy:

I could just say that EJ is an idiot but since this thread is about the finer points I'll analyze this a bit further. On the surface this is a horrendous idea to say the least. There's no way Blatche can keep up with guys like that no matter how much film he watches. But I've got a sneaking suspicion that EJ wanting to play Blatche at SF means that he's going to struggle to see minutes up front because of Etan and Songaila.

I think people are truly underestimating how much a healthy Etan Thomas is going to screw with people's minutes. This whole "Blatche as a LeBron Stopper" thing isn't going to work but with EJ's faves taking all the PF/C minutes there's nowhere else for Blatche to play. And in typical EJ fashion he's going to blame the failure of Blatche at SF on Dray's "youth and lack of work ethic". In reality our beloved coach is setting up one of our young players to fail just so that he can play Etan and Songaila as many minutes as he can. This is only going to damage Blatche's confidence and delay his development in a year that was supposed to be the one where he broke out.

Training camp hasn't even started and EJ's quotes have already proven that he wasn't paying attention to Haywood until last year and that he's also planning to use one of our slowest players to guard superstars. Yeah - I'm not feeling very optimistic about this season. :nonono:
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#43 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Good lord. Last year EFJ tried Blatche on Carmelo and Carmelo had his career best game.

If Blatche is our designated SF stopper we are in deep doo doo.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#44 » by closg00 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:38 pm

We could hope that since EFJ does not have to worry about keeping his job :roll: , that he might take a fresh approach to his rotations this year...perhaps do a little experimenting during pre-season.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#45 » by doclinkin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:46 pm

Regarding player roles, in the O-fficial training camp blog Dave Johnson says:

# DJ-WizardsRadio Says:
September 27th, 2008 at 7:01 PM

also worth noting Juan said he apprecaites the Wizards situation even more .. as he says the grass is not always greener..Dixon also says he really likes the way Eddie Jordan makes it clear what a players role is..he says everyone received a packet outlining their individual expectatiions when they arrived at camp…
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#46 » by Dat2U » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:13 am

doclinkin wrote:More of the leadership role that Brendan has embraced:
Wizards coach Eddie Jordan said earlier this week he wants to challenge Blatche to become a defensive stopper. Jordan envisions Blatche defending bigger small forwards like Houston's Tracy McGrady and Cleveland's LeBron James.[/b]."

Blatche needs to watch film on defensive positioning outside: low stance, active feet, on the balls of your feet, constantly shifting. If he just took a wider base he could make the opponent have to travel a long way to get around him, even if he's beat then he gets an extra step to call for help.

As long as he's watching video, I want him to roll tape on some offensive Big Man he can imitate in the post. He needs one go-to move to score down low. My customary suggestions are Kareem' s hook, McHale's up & under and elbow hook, or in a Dream world Hakeem's shimmy shake. Hey I'd take a Pat Ewing drop step, even. If he had one repeatable move with good efficiency he'd be a significant weapon out there. Right now he'll do alot of interesting moves, but nothing you can count on each time down court.

You have got to be kidding me! Eddie Jordan has to be the most stubborn son-of-a-bitch I've ever seen. I don't care how low of stance he gets, how much he tries to move his feet or whether he widens his friggin base or not. Andray Blatche is not, nor will he ever be an effective player at the SF position.

Yeah he's long and somewhat athletic. But against other NBA quality SFs, he just doesn't measure up in terms of agility or quickness. Blatche defending SFs is a mismatch just waiting to be exploited. Blatche has lead in his feet, and that alone makes him much different than the 6-11 Jared Jeffries, who even though was overrated defensively, displayed enough mobility to utlitize his length wilh relative effectiveness.

Jordan just doesn't get it. Blatche's development was stunted in my opinion, due to the coaching staff allowing him to view himself as some point forward type during his first couple of seasons in the league. Blatche needs to be around the basket, defending PFs & Cs. Taking that 15ft footer and developing moves in the paint to use against slower & bigger players.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#47 » by closg00 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:15 am

^^^^^^^ :clap: One of these day's, we'll have a coach who knows how to use big-men.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#48 » by doclinkin » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:17 am

Geniuses. Please read the first post of the thread. This thread is for constructive critique and positive breakdowns, how to fix perceived problems. There are plenty of other threads you can wet your pampers and complain in, and you can feel free to whine in here but only if you offer a solution. This is the thread for _proving_ you are smarter than the coaches and deserve a contract, not for bitching and fussing unproductively. If you have nothing to say beyond 'yeah, he'b stoopid'-- find another thread.

In this case, if you disagree with the idea of challenging Dray to try to guard Big SF's, please offer a reasonable alternative, how this team (with this roster) can best defend that spot.

What's your gameplan for
LeBron.
Carmelo.
MacGrady.

pls thx.

==============

Personally I agree that Dray is footslow. Improved technique can help somewhat but won't change that fact. I think he'll do best against Centers actually, especially as he gains size and muscle.

That said, Dray frustrated and intimidated LeBron somewhat in the last series. His whine "they're trying to hurt me" followed Dray's fouls, and the elbow strike he lashed out with (that 'retroactively' earned a flagrant foul) was directed at Dray. LeBron has incredible straight-ahead speed, great vision, and a developing jumper, but his lateral speed isn't as quick and he's shown an ability to be intimidated into relying on perimeter shots. Dray and Songaila are the two players on the team who seem to have somewhat of the willingness to give a hard foul without apology. This tendency will take some players out of a game (vs Detroit late-season, Rasheed clearly got chippy with Dray and started yapping, fouling, lost focus).

Cleveland is a big enough crew that I can see the Wiz desiring to match-up with a Big frontline of their own. That means sticking someone on LeBro other than DeSteve. And other than Caron who is overmatched by LeBaby. In this case Dray wouldn't need to stop Lebron, just cut off the pass with long arms and funnel him to the baseline where Brendan etc might be waiting. Frustrate him with superior bulk if not strength. Or at times Zone up and fill the lanes inside the arc with Bigs and seven footers, force jumpers outside (if the perimeter players can cut off the pass to the threepoint shooters). Darius actually did a decent job of pestering his countryman Big Z. A Dray/Haywood/DSong line-up may work in spot duty against some of Cleveland's Super-big (but offensively challenged) front lines.

Otherwise, you're looking at 'defending' LeJames with Jamison, who's neither laterally quick nor willing to foul hard and force a retaliation. There will be times when you will want Dray and not Jamison on the floor. And match-ups or switches dictate that your Big is on LeBung.

Now, if Dominic has cured the habit of jumping on the hint of a shadow of a pump-fake then maybe he's a partial solution. But it's probably too early in his career to expect him to have figured it all out enough to be relied on. Yet.

Tracy MacGrady is a different story. Yes Houston can send out some HUGE frontlines (well Yao plus anybody will be huge, but his jumpshot stretches defenses and lets him play almost as a 4 at times), so it would be useful to be able to have a Big Set to toss out there. But TMac has too much wiggle in his game, and has a reliable shot from waaay outside. Chasing him down with Bigs out to the limit of his range takes Dray way out of position for the rebound. Dray does like to trap deep and chase the ballhandler way out to the timeline, and passing isn't TMac's best strength. But they have other ballhandlers on the team who can find TMac in good rhythm if he's playing off the ball. Pick your poison: Dray, Caron, Jamison, Dominic. I don't trust any of 'em. Which put DeShawn out there on an island trying his best.

As for Carmelo. No: lost cause. Caron defends him better, and the Nuggs are a team who will let you outscore them to win rather than try anything like Defense. You're not gonna stop them, but Caron can help keep pace. You need his points this game. Dray can't keep up.

So. In spot duty I can see the SuperBig line working at times, and some defensive switches may (by design) end up with Dray on LeBro instead of Varejao. If he's challenged early to work on his perimeter D and not be taken by surprise, it can't hurt too badly. But that said, his defensive bad habits and lack of fundamentals don't quite match his instinct and nose for the ball. He has room for improvement even with the realization that he's footslow and will need a wary defender behind him ready on the doubleteam trap or shotblock.

If Dom develops quickly I can see these two working as an effective baseline funnel/trap tandem. Especially with Brendan or (eventually) McGee underneath. But dreams are for the offseason only, few survive the grind of the first month much less the whole EightyTwo.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#49 » by LyricalRico » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:21 pm

doclinkin wrote:In this case, if you disagree with the idea of challenging Dray to try to guard Big SF's, please offer a reasonable alternative, how this team (with this roster) can best defend that spot.

What's your gameplan for
LeBron.
Carmelo.
MacGrady.

There's nothing anyone can do to stop guys like that. Even Bruce Bowen doesn't "stop" them. You just make them work hard for their points and take difficult shots. Our only guy who can man up and make a guy work to get open is Stevenson. Unfortunately he's 2 inches too short for optimum effectiveness. McGuire's too inexperienced at this point to be an option IMO.

Based on this team's roster, the only thing we can do is tell DeShawn to do the best he can, keep a shot-blocker in the game at all times, and try to avoid needlessly double teaming so that we don't give up a record number of open 3's again (that means you, Gilbert).
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#50 » by pancakes3 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:42 pm

We've all see how lebron scores - he dips his shoulder and bullies his way to the rim. He has an iffy jumper, and an iffier pull up jumper so basically all Blatche has to do defensively is to play off the ball, stand tall with his albatross wingspan, and either force a circus rainbow over him, or the hauntingly familiar kickout. On our roster, Blatche is the biggest/tallest player who can keep up with lebron, and this also translates to more minutes on the floor. Maybe EJ is hinting at extra playing time if Blatche can beef up enough to keep lebron from posting up (though i don't recall lebron having that polished a game of).

The problem arises when you consider the lineup if Blatche is going to get heavy minutes when playing Lebron. I'm envisioning this in a playoff situation, and we have 4 players that must absolutely start the game with the big 3 + haywood. Blatche has no place on the floor if those 4 players are starting. If Blatche plays that means limited minutes for Antawn, which i don't think we should sacrifice just to contain lebron. I think Butler is capable of staying in front of lebron, EJ just prefers DS on lebron to save Caron calories on the defensive end. But this year, I don't think Caron's production would suffer if he guarded Lebron in the playoffs this year since Arenas hopefully would be back in form and we wouldn't need butler to carry the scoring load as much.

So, EJ may just be saying something nice to blow sunshine up Blatche's butt and dangle minutes as incentives for him to work on his defense, but when it boils down to it, our big 3 + Haywood are too talented not to put on the floor no matter how good somebody's defense is. We've carved out a niche as a score-more-than-you team, and it's too late to change our identity right now with our personnel.

So as for improving on the win totals/playoff wins as last year, we can harp on dee brown, D-mac, and juan dixon all we want, but the linchpin for success hinges on arenas's knee and our 5th starter DS developing a Masonesque jumper. Last year DS's shooting percentages dropped significantly probably at the pressure of being a #2-3 option on the perimeter. Hopefully now with experience and a lightened responsibility he'll find his stroke and we can get past the cavs in the first round.

yes, i'm already expecting us to face the cavs in the first round which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, because it implies that we've secured a 4-5 seed.
Bullets -> Wizards
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#51 » by pancakes3 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:21 pm

on second thought:

Looking WAYYYYyyy down the road, i'm picturing the playoff seeding to go a little something like:

Boston
Detroit
Orlando
Philly
Cleveland
Washington
Toronto
Chicago

So... I'm actually expecting us to beat Orlando, Dwight Howard notwithstanding. Gil should tear Jameer Nelson apart, Caron won't abuse Lewis but has a noticeable advantage especially on the high post, and Jamison should up and under his way to 30ppg on the Turk on the low block. If Haywood can get a double double every game, and that series is a sweep.

Game after that we should match up with Detroit, which isn't a longshot for us to win either. What i see as a worry, which every other team does as well, is Rasheed Wallace. He is one tough matchup. This may be the time to trot out Blatche for extensive minutes at the expense of 'Twan. With Haywood clogging the middle and, hold the laughs, containing Kwame Brown, Blatche only has to stand straight up and put the pressure on rasheed to hit his turnourand baseline fade 5-6 times a game.

Game after that we're matching up with duh duh duhhhhhh... Cleveland? I don't know. It's hard to say. Boston could have the hangover, compounded with Ray Allen's continued disintegration, it's not that far of a stretch. As for us matching up with the Cavs? I don't know. Maybe after i let the koolaid digest, i'll be able to come up with an accurate prediction.
Bullets -> Wizards
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#52 » by doclinkin » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:30 pm

pancakes3 wrote:The problem arises when you consider the lineup if Blatche is going to get heavy minutes when playing Lebron. I'm envisioning this in a playoff situation, and we have 4 players that must absolutely start the game with the big 3 + haywood. Blatche has no place on the floor if those 4 players are starting.

See now that's a proper and appropriate use of the thread. I like the way you're thinking (Championship!) but here's where I have a slight difference.

Darius notwithstanding, Blatche is envisioned as the first replacement at forward, or 'Mid'. Normally this means he comes in either in relief of Jamison, or when Caron is out, he replaces Tawn in the frontcourt and Jamison slides to the 3. This is the role he played (pretty well) starting in Caron's place last spring. It's simple facts of gerontology that Jamison will tend to slow over the course of his contract, and quite likely that Caron perhaps should play fewer minutes considering his injury history (not the broken bones, but tweaked hip and groins etc).

But LeBron's gonna play the whole damn game, if I recall it right he lead the league in minutes played last year. (Checking... top 3 in minutes per game, after the android Allen Iverson, and Joe Johnson). But if you can steal a few minutes rest for your offensive guns by leaning on LeBron and beating him up, then the job of your starting scorers gets easier. It's a tactic, not the whole game plan. And fine for the coach to issue the challenge, to let the young fella know he needs to work on his footspeed and awareness on the perimeter, since even guarding the 4 or 5 he will occasionally find himself outside on long-range shooters (Sheed, Okur, etc) or switches in the pick and roll game.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#53 » by doclinkin » Wed Oct 1, 2008 4:49 am

In todays scrimmage Eddie apparently sent out this group:

-=Black Team=-
Dee
DeSteve
Dray --6'11"
Pech --7'
Javale.--7'
(reserve Dermarr Johnson)

Good lord that's a lot of 'long' out there. Sounds like Andray was really ripping things up. Passing, playing strong in the post, hitting threes, forcing turnovers, all over the court. Black won game One 18 to 10.

-=White team=-
Daniels
Young Gun
Linton Johnson
Darius
Etan.

(Reserve Dixon and Taj McCollugh)

Second game McGee switched teams to white. This was the Nick Young Show apparently. Hard to stop in the open court. White team won on a buzzer beater by Linton with the line-up:
Daniels, Dixon, Linton, Taj, Haywood.

The brief clips on the home site show a Blatche more _toned_ than Beefy. He seems to be moving alot more nimbly, less shuffling with that full-diaper gait he sometimes uses. Could be the SF minutes are less farfetched than they seem.
fugop
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#54 » by fugop » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:13 pm

We really don't have an individual defender that can guard Lebron, and I'd rather stick with gimmicky defenses than introduce hijincks into Blatche's development as a reliable big. I'd be okay with using Blatche in the starting lineup rather than Stevenson, but only if we plan to play a lot of zone. West and Williams trying to guard Butler and Arenas is something I'd like to see anyway.

Long term, we need to make a trade. Carl Landry is still available as a FA, and is one of the best physical matchups in the league for Lebron.

EDIT: Actually, Landry was resigned by Houston on 9/25. It's $9m for 3 years.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#55 » by dobrojim » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:28 pm

don't know how constructive this is, it's an old complaint and surely
the place I and many other folks who are not among the angry thirty (yet)
would like to see is people staying at home and not seeing the help
and sagging that allowed us to allow a record number of made 3s last year.

Today's article by Ivan (WizPride?) talked about how we have
all these 7 footers. Although it wasn't really brought up in
the article specifically, one of them can defend pretty darn
well (Wood). But the gist of the piece seemed to be that
we have all this size. OK, good. Would the perimeter guys
please stay on their def assignments and not be so eager
to help. If we're so big up front, there shouldn't be such
a high tendency to leave shooters open at the arc.

old story, nothing new here, move along.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#56 » by Scabs304 » Thu Oct 2, 2008 2:47 am

Shawn Livingston is he capable of filling the short term and maybe long term depth at Guard issues?
I am Scabs.
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#57 » by go'stags » Thu Oct 2, 2008 2:54 am

fugop wrote:We really don't have an individual defender that can guard Lebron, and I'd rather stick with gimmicky defenses than introduce hijincks into Blatche's development as a reliable big. I'd be okay with using Blatche in the starting lineup rather than Stevenson, but only if we plan to play a lot of zone. West and Williams trying to guard Butler and Arenas is something I'd like to see anyway.

Long term, we need to make a trade. Carl Landry is still available as a FA, and is one of the best physical matchups in the league for Lebron.

EDIT: Actually, Landry was resigned by Houston on 9/25. It's $9m for 3 years.

Eh, IMO D-Mac is a much better physical matchup for Lebron than Landry, and I like Landry a lot. Landry is more of a PF, while Mcguire is a SF. Both are about 6'9, with long arms and good defensive instincts, but I think Dmac is a little quicker.
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#58 » by doclinkin » Mon Oct 6, 2008 1:12 pm

Glimpses into this year's rotation plans:

Mike Jones, (obligatory 'who?') wrote:For the next month, Jordan has certain things he wants to see from his players:

cThe veterans to get "rhythm minutes."

cThe entire team to develop defensive commitment.

cAnd the younger players to establish themselves as parts of the 10-man rotation.

With Brendan Haywood out for a week with a sprained wrist, Etan Thomas - making his comeback from last year's heart surgery - and Andray Blatche will likely see the bulk of the time at center, while rookie JaVale McGee continues to learn on the job.

Coach Eddie Jordan said the Wizards have experienced some competition at every position. (Peter Lockley/The Washington Times)

For Thomas, the increased playing time will help him continue to regain game fitness. And after Friday night's scrimmage, Jordan said Blatche needs to continue to work on his footwork in the paint to become more effective at center.

Usually EJ has said he prefers a nine-man rotation
4 guards
3 forwards
2 centers

The ten man rotation leaves room for both Blatche and possibly DMac to get minutes at forward. But I think the real competition is who gets primary back-up minutes at Center. The official Blogs from scrimmages had Blatche mostly in the middle, making honor role most days. Etan is Etan, he'll give you good effort whether he's filling in as a spot-duty role-player or the first Big off the bench, but Blatche's development is the future of the franchise. He put up numbers every scrimmage.

That said, I was browsing through in-depth rotation breakdowns and Darius Songaila showed up in many of the better lines, especially defensively weighted rankings (looking only at lines with at least 10 total minutes -- still a tiny sample size, but what'ver). Sadly, so did Roger Mason, but Nick Young's name pops up as well. This is likely a relic of back-ups vs 2nd-line competition, but it seemed interesting at the time.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#59 » by pancakes3 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:10 am

So every time we talk about who to cut, who to keep, i'm always thinking about Lebron James. He's haunting my ever basketball thought.

Blatche is not the answer in guarding Lebron. We should start DMac and have him man up on lebron. If the cavs are going to to start Wally Z at 2-guard, that would be a light defensive assignment for butler, Gil can stick on mo, AJ has another easy assignment guarding Ben Wallace and Haywood can mandle (manhandle) an aging and arthritic Z down low. All Dmac has to do is body up on Lebron. No fouls. If Bron wants to shoot tough jumpers and awkward floaters all day (shooting that requires touch is the weakest part of his offense) then fine. He'll probably rack up 30 ppg from that, but if the rest of the team can only muster up 60, we're golden in a 7 game series.

The problem arises when small guards like Gibson and West come into the game and they start running Butler through screens every single possession. We'll probably have to counter that by either calling for butler to switch to Lebron or pulling butler for another defensive specialist, namely dixon. I'm uncomfortable with pulling butler, so maybe even switching him over to wallace and pulling Aj for long stretches. I dunno... it's a mystery.
Bullets -> Wizards
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#60 » by W. Unseld » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:50 pm

Curious: Is it a foregone conclusion that Demarr Johnson is the odd man out among him, Dixon and Dee Brown?

I would like to keep Johnson but I can't give you a great answer on who should be the guy cut but it appears that the organization has fallen in love w/Dee Brown and we already know they love Dixon.

Pancake--not to go negative in the thread but isn't there a very real possibility that Haywood isn't available?

Return to Washington Wizards