ImageImageImageImageImage

Dominic McGuire appreciation thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Dominic McGuire appreciation thread 

Post#1 » by doclinkin » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:58 pm

As the Herald of the Dominator I figure I might as well get another jump on the as yet unearned praise for the future phenom.

From Wiretap:
"I have been working hard. I started going to the gym to workout two times a day this summer. I have been focused and have been working on what the coaching staff told me to work on during our exit meetings last season," McGuire said Sunday. "They told me I needed to work on my mid-range game and to be more professional. I think those are the biggest things that are showing now."

He also claims it has helped that he's going against a player like Caron Butler in practice.

"It helps me a lot," McGuire added. "I am going against an All-Star everyday on the offensive and defensive end. You can’t help but get better. He shows me a lot off of the court as well. I also try to take things from Antawn. I watch his professionalism and how he handles himself off the court."

Live Wire Dom McGuire, I expect big things from the kid this year.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Re: Dominic McGuire appreciation thread 

Post#2 » by BigA » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:07 pm

I'll drink to that. I remember that Boston game last year when Dominic had a bunch of offensive rebounds to seal the win. He's very athletic. He'll really add value once other teams have to account for him on the offensive end.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#3 » by MJG » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:16 pm

I've actually been thinking that McGuire is going to be our surprise player this year. No, he isn't going to be blowing people away or anything. But when Caron gets injured, I think he'll step up and surprise people with how well he fills in. And after that, he may steal away a few regular rotation minutes from other guys.

Okay, I'm not exactly setting the bar that high. But I do think he'll jump over that bar, so that's something.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#4 » by closg00 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:17 pm

Reason for optimism, i hope his hard work translates into productivity on the court.
clubbing_caveman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by clubbing_caveman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:48 am

I'll be looking for that improvement in our first pre-season game. His D and rebounding will keep him in the league, I think. Adding that mid-range jumper which, hopefully, he will not hesitate to shoot, is great.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#6 » by doclinkin » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:34 pm

Official video interview of Dom in training camp.

Also:

KC Jones, who played with Bill Russell says really nice things about Andray Blatche.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#7 » by doclinkin » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:29 am

Bump for Dom as a starter, consummate role-player.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:00 am

Best game of the year for someone who didn't score?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#9 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:04 am

MJG wrote:I've actually been thinking that McGuire is going to be our surprise player this year. No, he isn't going to be blowing people away or anything. But when Caron gets injured, I think he'll step up and surprise people with how well he fills in. And after that, he may steal away a few regular rotation minutes from other guys.

Okay, I'm not exactly setting the bar that high. But I do think he'll jump over that bar, so that's something.

:nod:

Props to MJG on that call.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#10 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:08 am

doclinkin wrote:Bump for Dom as a starter, consummate role-player.

I was thinking about this today before the Houston game. With Dominic replacing Stevenson, we are suddenly a much bigger team. Think about it. Arenas is bigger and stronger than most PG's. Butler is bigger and stronger than nearly all shooting guards. DMac is as big as most SF's and a better rebounder than almost all of them. Jamison is small but rebounds at an average rate. Haywood is bigger than most centers.

It's amazing how one move can transform us from being undersized at nearly every position to being big at nearly all positions.
crackhed
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#11 » by crackhed » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:08 am

kudos to tapscott for recognizing and rewarding a player who plays without fear and brings it every night.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the kind of man I am"
H. Simpson
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#12 » by yungal07 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:12 am

Hopefully, our shooting coaches are working with DM to make him a better shooter. He needs to develop a semi-reliable jumper to really be a player I'd invest in.
adarsh1
Junior
And1: 62

Post#13 » by adarsh1 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:18 am

If he develops a solid three point shot, he could be better than Bruce Bowen.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#14 » by spaceman_E » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:37 am

Dom, I love your game. Keep working on that jumper, always finish strong, and you will be a key part of our future.
You don't win friends with salad.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#15 » by spaceman_E » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:40 am

BTW Adarsh1, I think it's time to update that sig :)
You don't win friends with salad.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#16 » by closg00 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:58 am

This type of development NEVER would have happened under EFJ, glad to see it happening.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#17 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:19 pm

In the past 22 years (as far as basketballreference.com's database goes back), only 13 times has a player managed to grab 7 or more boards and 6 or more assists without scoring a point. McGuire is the first player to manage 7+ boards, 6+ assists and 4+ blocks with 0 points.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#18 » by MJG » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:37 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
MJG wrote:I've actually been thinking that McGuire is going to be our surprise player this year. No, he isn't going to be blowing people away or anything. But when Caron gets injured, I think he'll step up and surprise people with how well he fills in. And after that, he may steal away a few regular rotation minutes from other guys.

:nod:

Props to MJG on that call.

Ha, that may be the closest thing to an accurate prediction I've ever had. But he's doing much more than even I guessed. He's not just playing well enough to earn regular rotation minutes; assuming he can keep it up, he's entrenching himself into the starting role, which is just an amazing thing that nobody ever would have guessed.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#19 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:57 pm

nate33 wrote:In the past 22 years (as far as basketballreference.com's database goes back), only 13 times has a player managed to grab 7 or more boards and 6 or more assists without scoring a point. McGuire is the first player to manage 7+ boards, 6+ assists and 4+ blocks with 0 points.

Pretty amazing. He's the anti-Nick - even though they're best friends. (Sorry for the Young cheap-shot. I couldn't help it.)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#20 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Yay Dmac!

The NBA baffles me. That's what I love about it. You can have a completely unorthodox game and be successful doing whatever it is that you do. McHale. Rodman. Bowen. Isn't basketball great? It's such a beautiful and versatile game that you can bring all sorts of different things to the table and be successful. It's like life.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.

Return to Washington Wizards