ImageImageImageImageImage

Dominic McGuire appreciation thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: Dominic McGuire appreciation thread 

Post#21 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:57 pm

Think, if D mac could develop some legitimate handles, he has the athleticism and quickness to take his man off the dribble, and he would be able to finish better around the rim. It may be a stretch but look at lebron, mcguire has that kind of athleticism but he needs handles. Granted he wouldnt get phantom foul calls like lebron and get to the line where he isnt the best of foul shooters. Add an ok jumper and he will be an excellent role player in the future. EG has to lock him up with a good contract like he did with blatche.
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,390

Post#22 » by doclinkin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:29 pm

Bump for the last couple games. Maybe merge.
Horryble
Banned User

Post#23 » by Horryble » Sun Mar 1, 2009 6:23 am

doclinkin wrote:Bump for Dom as a starter, consummate role-player.

Haven't seen him play yet. But I do know that is what the Wizard's need more of. The big 3 of Arenas/Butler/Jamison will never be the big 3 of Allen/KG/Pierce b/c they don't play as a team. The Wizards are rebuilding or should be at any rate. In the meantime hopefully young guys like N Young and DM can usher out the proven one and done core.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#24 » by JWizmentality » Sun Mar 1, 2009 10:19 am

Horryble wrote:

Haven't seen him play yet. But I do know that is what the Wizard's need more of. The big 3 of Arenas/Butler/Jamison will never be the big 3 of Allen/KG/Pierce b/c they don't play as a team. The Wizards are rebuilding or should be at any rate. In the meantime hopefully young guys like N Young and DM can usher out the proven one and done core.

I'm one the biggest Nick Young supporters...but c'mon!!
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,014

Post#25 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Mar 1, 2009 11:19 am

Horryble wrote:

The difference is Boston's big three has a true big who is/was a superstar, Kevin Garnett, and they have Tom Thibodeau demanding they play sound defense first.

The Wizards were one and done not because of selfishness, but because they're jump shooters who don't defend well. Offense, particularly perimeter offense alone, doesn't win in the playoffs.

Factor in injuries, EJ's playoff coaching against Cleveland, and repeatedly having to face Lebron in round one, and that further explains the playoff futility. Also, the last time they advanced beyond round one the Wizards had the homecourt advantage.

If you paired anywhere near healthy Gil with KG and either of Butler or Jamison ... and with Haywood ... that team would kick ass and probably win it all, too.

Horryble, I have seen some selfish play out of Arenas, Jamison, and Butler at times but in general I don't think that's why theyve been unsuccessful in the playoffs.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#26 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 1, 2009 3:06 pm

Horryble wrote:

You obviously have never read any of my kill the Wiz big 3 posts, sigs, etc or why ours big 3 is different the Bostons and not a good big 3.

Bostons consists of 3 players who are pure at their positions and includes a legit two way post player in KG. It also doesn't include a shot first ball in hand SG who is manning the PG position. Very different from what we had.

KG - All Star - Maybe HOF Awesome 2 way PF who can do it all.
PP - All Star - Maybe HOF Awesome 2 way SF who can do it all.
RA - All Star - Maybe HOF Simply one of the best shooters there is.

Plus, they have Rondo at PG. So while people call it the big 3, they really have 4 important pieces.
Then add that it isn't just the talent, it the personalities.

We don't have a KG PF and that's what makes that team go, but we do have Haywood at center which isn't bad.

CB is as close as we get to PP but he doesn't have the one-on-one game PP has.
GA is as close as we get to RA. Actually GA is better but we need to move him to SG.
Then all we need is a PG. I still think that is key for us.

Haywood, (AJ/Blatche/McGee), CB, GA, Vet PG/Crit
I call it a big 5 or a team. We still have to get ours worked out.

Actually, the more I see McGee, the more i like the idea of him and Haywood. I had wanted Blatche there in the past because that was the best we had but Blatche can't really jump well. McGee will likely be an improved version of Blatche, without the off court problems. It could be a while until McGee develops a centers post game but a PF game is something that he can do with his natural abilities. It's more reactionary.

Blatche may end up finding his role as a 3 possition back up off the bench. Kid should get busy working on his 3 ball this off season. Next year, we can roll out some nasty line ups. With Haywood and McGee under the hoop, the weaker D of AJ and CB won't be such a big deal. This is the same thing I was saying about having Haywood and Blatche only McGee is even better. Once he learns to box out, he is going to be nasty. He moves similar to "The Dream"

Haywood, McGee, Blatche, GA, Crit
Haywood, McGee, DMAC, GA, Crit
Haywood, McGee, CB, GA, Crit
Haywood, McGee, AJ, GA, Crit

Any of these line up should out rebound the opposing line up. Crit even rebounds. The DMAC and Blatche versions be would be nasty rebounding and blocking line ups and those 2 plus the CB line up have 3 players each that can pass well.

I can't wait till we have Haywood and GA back. It just opens up the possibilities. This is why it's important to get them back this year. That way we can play with the clay when it doesn't matter.
hands11
Banned User

Post#27 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 1, 2009 3:28 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Horryble wrote:

The difference is Boston's big three has a true big who is/was a superstar, Kevin Garnett, and they have Tom Thibodeau demanding they play sound defense first.

The Wizards were one and done not because of selfishness, but because they're jump shooters who don't defend well. Offense, particularly perimeter offense alone, doesn't win in the playoffs.

Factor in injuries, EJ's playoff coaching against Cleveland, and repeatedly having to face Lebron in round one, and that further explains the playoff futility. Also, the last time they advanced beyond round one the Wizards had the homecourt advantage.

If you paired anywhere near healthy Gil with KG and either of Butler or Jamison ... and with Haywood ... that team would kick ass and probably win it all, too.

Horryble, I have seen some selfish play out of Arenas, Jamison, and Butler at times but in general I don't think that's why theyve been unsuccessful in the playoffs.

While your one of my favorite posters, I will slightly disagree here. Had GA, CB and AJ feed Haywood more in the post throughout those games instead of trying to do it all themselves
(selfish) by forcing shots, I think we would have won.

Haywood was the body blow punch the team was missing and when they did get him the ball, he was very effective. That kind of post play has a huge effect creating high % shots and draw fouls that softens up the middle and put good post plays on the bench. Haywood always played Z very well. Some games they would get it to BH early, but then they would forget him or EFJ would pull him. We could have done it with the line up we had or with AD, GA, CB, AJ, BH. Had Haywood been more of a focus, we could have gone deeper.

I actually remember GA and AJ gripping when EFJ actually tried to pull this off telling them to feed the post. The game slowed down a little and they got their undies in a bundle saying, that's not who we are. GA and AJ wouldn't feed Haywood the ball and EFJ didn't have enough control of the team to make them do it. And when we did line up with AD at PG, GA wouldn't acknowledge him as such and just did his GA thing. This made the line up not work very well because AD wasn't out there to be the spot up SG like when DS was out there. He didn't have that kind of range most nights. He was out there to be the PG by driving and dishing but GA wouldn't give him the ball to do it.

So I actually think it was the selfish play that held them back and GA and AJ were the main culprits. They really have no one to blame but themselves. They were not a team. They were a BIG 3. Big nothing if you ask me. A big waste of an opportunity.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,382

Post#28 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 1, 2009 4:06 pm

Replace Jamison with KG and we're favorites to win a championship (assuming everybody is healthy).
hands11
Banned User

Post#29 » by hands11 » Mon Mar 2, 2009 4:50 am

nate33 wrote:Replace Jamison with KG and we're favorites to win a championship (assuming everybody is healthy).

Deal should work. AJ got paid enough - LMAO

Yeah, if it was only that easy. Just switch AJ for KG. I like it. KG would have them playing D that's for sure. And if one of the young guns acts up. KG will make them cry.

Could you imagine the defense Haywood, KG and DMAC could muster up? That would be McNasty.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#30 » by doclinkin » Mon Mar 2, 2009 5:00 am

McNasty would be the McGuire/McGee lineup next to Haywood-- once McGee actually knows what he's doing out there. Showstopping shotblocking defensive coldcocking lockdown on the low blocks, is a distinct possibility. But we got to stop sucking first.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 555

Post#31 » by daSwami » Mon Mar 2, 2009 6:53 pm

Doc, I have thought about that McNasty line-up, too - but I worry about that line-up's scoring, although we'd certainly get our share of second chance opps and put-backs. That said, I don't see anything wrong with having a squad that's exclusively defensive-minded. (sorta akin to what georgetown used to do in the 80s when thompson would sub in 5 guys whose sole purpose was to ramp up the defensive intensity and disrupt the opposition's flow - get in their heads. you'd have 4 pesky guys hawking full-court while ewing/mourning/motumbo waited under the hoop scowling. those old hoya teams were famous for their "runs" - their ability to change the momentum of the game, and within seconds turning a close game into a blow-out.

I think too many folks are pinning their hopes on dmac developing his offensive game. I'd prefer him to focus on becoming a lock-down defensive beast - a rebounding machine, like a less-gay dennis rodman. I could see dmac becoming an indispensible utility player, a guy who can guard every position on the court.
:banghead:
RealGM

Post#32 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 3, 2009 6:57 am

hands11 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

While your one of my favorite posters, I will slightly disagree here. Had GA, CB and AJ feed Haywood more in the post throughout those games instead of trying to do it all themselves
(selfish) by forcing shots, I think we would have won.

Haywood was the body blow punch the team was missing and when they did get him the ball, he was very effective. That kind of post play has a huge effect creating high % shots and draw fouls that softens up the middle and put good post plays on the bench. Haywood always played Z very well. Some games they would get it to BH early, but then they would forget him or EFJ would pull him. We could have done it with the line up we had or with AD, GA, CB, AJ, BH. Had Haywood been more of a focus, we could have gone deeper.

I actually remember GA and AJ gripping when EFJ actually tried to pull this off telling them to feed the post. The game slowed down a little and they got their undies in a bundle saying, that's not who we are. GA and AJ wouldn't feed Haywood the ball and EFJ didn't have enough control of the team to make them do it. And when we did line up with AD at PG, GA wouldn't acknowledge him as such and just did his GA thing. This made the line up not work very well because AD wasn't out there to be the spot up SG like when DS was out there. He didn't have that kind of range most nights. He was out there to be the PG by driving and dishing but GA wouldn't give him the ball to do it.

So I actually think it was the selfish play that held them back and GA and AJ were the main culprits. They really have no one to blame but themselves. They were not a team. They were a BIG 3. Big nothing if you ask me. A big waste of an opportunity.

hands, I hadn't thought about not feeding Haywood as selfishness. If I had when I posted we wouldn't disagree.

I just thought Gil wasn't inclined to do so. Hughes was the guy who fed Brendan but Gil never would. AJ doesn't feed anybody. Passes about like Nick Young. Because of his rebounds and the fact he tends to get his shot off quickly I hadn't really thought of Jamison as majorly selfish before this season.

hands, I think if EJ had been a more astute coach who liked Brendan, Haywood would have played more minutes and gotten far more FGAs, too.

I say it was more coaching philosophy (weave, heave, love those jumpshooters) than selfishness.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#33 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 3, 2009 7:00 am

doclinkin wrote:McNasty would be the McGuire/McGee lineup next to Haywood-- once McGee actually knows what he's doing out there. Showstopping shotblocking defensive coldcocking lockdown on the low blocks, is a distinct possibility. But we got to stop sucking first.

That team would be better than the one with Caron and Antawn with the right coach, doc.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User

Post#34 » by hands11 » Wed Mar 4, 2009 12:52 am

doclinkin wrote:McNasty would be the McGuire/McGee lineup next to Haywood-- once McGee actually knows what he's doing out there. Showstopping shotblocking defensive coldcocking lockdown on the low blocks, is a distinct possibility. But we got to stop sucking first.

That's why none of this losing is bothering me.

Actually, you know who DMac looks like to me? He looks like Dr J. Hopefully they are cousins or something. I'm not saying he will be a Dr J just that he looks like him. That said, I put no ceiling on a young focused athletic talent like a DMAC. He would be a Worthy. Who knows. But like I said, even a taller CB with hops would be awesome.

I'm most excited about this team for the type of line up you just mentioned. We will have lots of that to throw at people. Mixing and matching Haywood, McGee, Blatche, DMAC and Crit is going to make for some solid D. Hey, I even saw McGee get out on a pick and roll like DSong does. He finally got it in that ATL game.

This loosing is just temporary. We will be right back in it next year. Only better.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#35 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 6, 2009 2:28 am

WPost's Mike Lee wrote:McGuire has been playing with plantar fasciitis for almost a month, but he said he would fight through it until the season ends.

"I'm not trying to give up this spot right now," McGuire said with a laugh. "If I have to go out there on one foot, I'm going to try to do it as long as it's not hurting the team. It's nothing that's going to keep me from playing hard or make me sit out any games."

Rest of the Dom McGuire appreciation column here.
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#36 » by newslowsad » Fri Mar 6, 2009 2:37 am

I feel so much better now that our slobbering over DMAC during his first summer league was completely justified. Love his game.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#37 » by Induveca » Sat Mar 7, 2009 5:23 pm

We are 8-26 when McGuire plays more than 25 minutes.

I don't understand the love. It's based on a guy playing hard on an absolutely dreadful team. I'm all for silver linings, and we know what CB and AJ bring in a winning season. Until McGuire contributes to a winning team his stats are far from impressive from my perspective.

A team with a very similar record were the 2000-2001 Chicago Bulls.

Marcus Fizer averaged 9.1 points, 4.5 boards in 22 minutes a game. (1st or 2nd year)
Khalid El-Amin also put up 6 points 3 assists in 14 minutes. (1st or 2nd year)
Ron Mercer? Freaking Ron Mercer.......20 points 4 boards, 3.5 assists. (4th year)

The guy on the Wiz whom I KNOW will be a player is McGee. Our coaching staff and front office have really mishandled this kid thus far. He needs to play much much more.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,633

Post#38 » by pancakes3 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 8:26 pm

I don't think those clamoring for Maguire to start think he's an exceptionally outstanding talent, they just see him as the the best player on our team that compliments Gil, Butler, AJ, and Haywood because of his tenacious defense and willingness to share the ball. His only knock is that he's a terrible shooter which is masked by the fact that Gil, Butler, and AJ are all good shooters. This excitement is contagious and snowballs into a mild euphoria since this season, fans need all the silver linings they can get from the team but I don't think anyone is seriously convinced that DMac's a bona fide STUD just yet. There are some that believe that he is/will be our incarnate of Shane Battier, which I don't think is too far of a stretch.

with regards to mcgee
it does seem like mcgee is the only player to be pulled regularly for making mistakes on the court. however his mistakes are easily the most egregious on the team. Nick's mistakes are along the lines of late rotations, getting sucked into a lazy double team, shot selection, and not fighting through screens. McGee would totally lose track of his assignment, traveling, goaltending, and other no-no's that should've been beaten out of him in the 8th grade. I remember the "lectures" that Kwame used to get by MJ. I couldn't imagine how MJ would've reacted to McGee. I bet it would be some world-class cursing.
Bullets -> Wizards
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#39 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 7, 2009 8:39 pm

hands11 wrote:

That's why none of this losing is bothering me.

Actually, you know who DMac looks like to me? He looks like Dr J. Hopefully they are cousins or something. I'm not saying he will be a Dr J just that he looks like him. That said, I put no ceiling on a young focused athletic talent like a DMAC. He would be a Worthy. Who knows. But like I said, even a taller CB with hops would be awesome.

I generally hate it when people say - What are you smoking? But dude, what in the hell are you smoking? DMac is bigger than Dr. J, so he's got a higher ceiling. Higher and higher than a kite, dude. This losing isn't bothering you, because you're feeling no pain.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
hands11
Banned User

Post#40 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 8, 2009 12:39 am

pancakes3 wrote:I don't think those clamoring for Maguire to start think he's an exceptionally outstanding talent, they just see him as the the best player on our team that compliments Gil, Butler, AJ, and Haywood because of his tenacious defense and willingness to share the ball. His only knock is that he's a terrible shooter which is masked by the fact that Gil, Butler, and AJ are all good shooters. This excitement is contagious and snowballs into a mild euphoria since this season, fans need all the silver linings they can get from the team but I don't think anyone is seriously convinced that DMac's a bona fide STUD just yet. There are some that believe that he is/will be our incarnate of Shane Battier, which I don't think is too far of a stretch.

with regards to mcgee
it does seem like mcgee is the only player to be pulled regularly for making mistakes on the court. however his mistakes are easily the most egregious on the team. Nick's mistakes are along the lines of late rotations, getting sucked into a lazy double team, shot selection, and not fighting through screens. McGee would totally lose track of his assignment, traveling, goaltending, and other no-no's that should've been beaten out of him in the 8th grade. I remember the "lectures" that Kwame used to get by MJ. I couldn't imagine how MJ would've reacted to McGee. I bet it would be some world-class cursing.

Exactly.

And for all the bashing AJ has gotten about comments about the younger players, he just praised DMAC in the post.

I know some may not agree with the approach but it isn't a foreign idea for a coach to set high standards for talented players in hopes of getting them in the right direction early. McGee needs coaching and he is getting it. I have seen steady improvement and correction of some of his problems over the year.

And these younger players needs to be playing with players that look something like and NBA player playing NBA basketball. Thats why you see DSong, CB, and AJ out there so much.

Return to Washington Wizards