ImageImageImageImageImage

Long Term Plan? (merged threads)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

holdupstop23
Head Coach
And1: 1

Re: Okay seriously...what are we doing? 

Post#321 » by holdupstop23 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Seriously though, Why the hell is Mike James getting minutes over Nick Young and Crittenton?

I'm sorry but you have the worst coach in the league. Isn't he not even a real coach?
**Proud Member of the Frank Williams for Starter Campaign**
Member #1 of 1
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#322 » by FreeBalling » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:34 pm

Dont we have this thread going right now.

FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#323 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:53 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Mr. Grundles, I think one and two are both true.

Tapscott's gestures and lineups at the end of the Portland game have me convinced he's actually trying to win with veterans and he's scapegoating young players. It escapes him that the veterans are most egregious in not playing good defense and in forcing jump shots.

Grunfeld I would guess supports Tapscott playing James big minutes, because EG would like to get James' numbers up for a trade. EG could support not playing Pecherov to trade him to a team on his potential. I wouldn't be surprised if once DeShawn comes back the Wizards try to acquire Hughes. I wouldn't be shocked if Young got traded, either. EG has made moves this season, and I'm expecting something by the trade deadline. .

I think while Tapscott is foolish to play Jamison and Butler so many minutes, EG might be considering trading either of them so the bigger their numbers are the better.

Last, I think the more losses the better at this point, so EG has the right man coaching.

First. I agree with CJJ mostly.

Second, Aren't there other treads for this already.

What is with the recent flurry of new threads ?

Third - I don't blame Tapps. He and EG are tight so that being known I will assume they are on the same playbook. As such, you can some what read into what Tapps does as part of EGs plan. I wouldn't have said that was anything EFJ did but with Tapps I will.

We have more goals then just playing young players. We have players to move.
Mr. Grundle
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#324 » by Mr. Grundle » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Well, I couldn't decide whether to put it in the Long Term Plan thread, the Tank Cave thread, the Amazingly Sucky Ed Tapscott thread, or Ernie Grunfeld thread, or.....

Yeah the subject comes up in every thread, but I didn't see one specifically for theories on what Grunfeld/Tapscott are trying to accomplish with this strategy. Sorry for the clutter.
Mr. Grundle
Sophomore

Post#325 » by Mr. Grundle » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:13 pm

hands11 wrote:We have more goals then just playing young players. We have players to move.

Which ones?

James, Butler, Jamison, and Songaila all play too much. Young, McGee, and Crittenton don't play enough. Does that mean all these players are being shopped for trades?

Sorry, I just don't understand the method behind the madness.
hands11
Banned User

Post#326 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:23 pm

Mr. Grundle wrote:
hands11 wrote:We have more goals then just playing young players. We have players to move.

Which ones?

James, Butler, Jamison, and Songaila all play too much. Young, McGee, and Crittenton don't play enough. Does that mean all these players are being shopped for trades?

I'm not folliowing you. Because there were several thread already to discus this that was confusing so you made it more confusing by adding another ? :wink:

I would think - Long Term Plans or This is what the line ups should be.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=851721
hands11
Banned User

Re: Long Term Plan? 

Post#327 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:40 pm

Mr. Grundle wrote:

Which ones?

Lets start by acknowledging that this is a pretty challenging situation to unravel with out at least Haywood on the floor.

In my view - here are some possible explanation that I think have already been explored.

James, Bulter, AJ and Songaila are being showcased for trade. James, AJ, and DSong more the CB.
Crit just recently got good enough to put on the court.

Young is a total flake that needs coaching and needs to show the coaches he earned him minutes. Having him on the court is often like playing 1 on 4 black top basketball. If he is playing well, you leave him out there. Right now his trade value is up because he made a run of like 3 games where he was playing balls out. But when he is sucking it up, you want to limit his exposure on film to other teams. That just brings his value down.

McGee is getting some minutes but lets be honest. We have no post presence with him in there. He is all over the place and he has been racking up fouls really quickly. I'd rather see him at PF with DSong a center most nights.

Hell, even with our vets out there you see how close it has been to us getting blown out by 25 points. That isn't the environment you want to throw you kids into.

Look. Without Haywood or Etan to help in the post to create some stability, this things is a mess. We don't have a PG to speak out and no true center. This is a mess right now.

Give Tapps and EG some room right now. I doubt any coach could do much with this the way it is.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#328 » by fishercob » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:10 am

hands11 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Mr. Grundles, I think one and two are both true.

Tapscott's gestures and lineups at the end of the Portland game have me convinced he's actually trying to win with veterans and he's scapegoating young players. It escapes him that the veterans are most egregious in not playing good defense and in forcing jump shots.

Grunfeld I would guess supports Tapscott playing James big minutes, because EG would like to get James' numbers up for a trade. EG could support not playing Pecherov to trade him to a team on his potential. I wouldn't be surprised if once DeShawn comes back the Wizards try to acquire Hughes. I wouldn't be shocked if Young got traded, either. EG has made moves this season, and I'm expecting something by the trade deadline. .

I think while Tapscott is foolish to play Jamison and Butler so many minutes, EG might be considering trading either of them so the bigger their numbers are the better.

Last, I think the more losses the better at this point, so EG has the right man coaching.

First. I agree with CJJ mostly.

Second, Aren't there other treads for this already.

What is with the recent flurry of new threads ?

Third - I don't blame Tapps. He and EG are tight so that being known I will assume they are on the same playbook. As such, you can some what read into what Tapps does as part of EGs plan. I wouldn't have said that was anything EFJ did but with Tapps I will.

We have more goals then just playing young players. We have players to move.

Are all of the mods on vacation? My OCD-ness loves how orderly the board usually is, but it really has been a mess lately. And if you guys need help staying on top of things to keep it clean, I'm happy to do so.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Mr. Grundle
Sophomore

Post#329 » by Mr. Grundle » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:23 am

hands11 wrote:
Young is a total flake that needs coaching and needs to show the coaches he earned him minutes. Having him on the court is often like playing 1 on 4 black top basketball. If he is playing well, you leave him out there. Right now his trade value is up because he made a run of like 3 games where he was playing balls out. But when he is sucking it up, you want to limit his exposure on film to other teams. That just brings his value down.

I'm not sure I buy this. Yeah, Young needs some coaching. But we fired our coach, and now we don't have a real one. So because of that Nick shouldn't play?

Also, Young isn't the type you keep on the bench to boost value. Young scores points when he gets minutes. The more minutes he gets, the more points he scores. The more points he scores, the more valuable he is perceived.

McGee is getting some minutes but lets be honest. We have no post presence with him in there. He is all over the place and he has been racking up fouls really quickly. I'd rather see him at PF with DSong a center most nights.

We don't have a post presence whether McGee is in the game or not, so it shouldn't matter. Who cares if he's racking up fouls. That's how you learn not to foul, through experience.

McGee at PF with Songaila at C? Come on man. McGee is a C. Song is a PF. We play enough guys out of position as it is.

Hell, even with our vets out there you see how close it has been to us getting blown out by 25 points. That isn't the environment you want to throw you kids into.

Why not? Seems like the perfect environment to throw kids into. They don't have to worry about losing a lead and can getting bitched out KG-style. They can just play.

Give Tapps and EG some room right now. I doubt any coach could do much with this the way it is.

Who's expecting much? We all want to lose. We just wanna lose the right way.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#330 » by BigA » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:33 am

fishercob wrote:<snip>Are all of the mods on vacation? <snip>

Maybe they're tanking as well.
hands11
Banned User

Post#331 » by hands11 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:41 am

I was simply trying to explain what I think is going on.

Carry on.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#332 » by JWizmentality » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:13 am

BigA wrote:
fishercob wrote:<snip>Are all of the mods on vacation? <snip>

Maybe they're tanking as well.

Yeah, with Rent-A-Mod the only authority around, what did you expect? JRo is retired, Wizstorm is seldom present, and I took Pine out permanently. This would never happen under my watch. :wordyo:
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,006

Re: Long Term Plan? (merged threads) 

Post#333 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:23 am

Who's Pine?
Bye bye Beal.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#334 » by WashWiz54 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:57 am

Rafael122 wrote:AK 47 plays defense. He doesn't even have to score. Just defend the best player on the opposing team and that's it. We've got enough scoring as is, but you build a defense around Haywood and Kirilenko, and the possibility of Blake Griffin?

Arenas could stay on the other side of the court.

I really really want Amare but I don't know, judging by Ernie's way of dealing without the media knowing, I don't know if he's called or not. We just don't know. Ivan Carter doesn't help so we really have no clue if he's made calls to see if something can get done.

Did you guys read that article on the main Real GM page? About how the Wizards could do something similar to what Boston did a year ago? That's what Washington should do. Forget 2010, if you can get Amare or Bosh NOW, and have them sign an extension? Do it. Do it.

My objections to this-

1. Kirilenko is not worth Butler. Butler can play solid defense when he isn't expected to carry the offensive load. AK level? Not even close but solid enough to be on a championship level team. Now AK's upgrade on defense is not worth the downfall we'd take on offense. He's pretty crappy on the offensive end. Throw in that bad contract versus Butler's friendly one, give me Butler all day.

2. If we get Griffin or any other PF for that matter, AK would play out of position. nate or someone used stats showing AK is only effective when playing PF. With the addition of Blake he'd have to play SF which I don't really like at all.

3. I think we might have an AK47 in the making with McGuire. Dude is pretty similar to AK and if developed right, could be just as good. He's got all the ability of AK and on a much cheaper contract.

I might agree to Jamison for AK, but even that's iffy. No way do I give away Caron.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,783

Post#335 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:10 pm

That's the thing though. Look, we score 100 or more points easily without Arenas. That's how good our offense is. If we lose Butler, so what? What are we going to lose? He doesn't play very good D, not on AK's level anyway. Guys like Nick Young and Blatche and even AK himself can pick up the scoring. Move Jamison to the 3, put AK at the 4, and Haywood at the 5. Butler's contract is a bargain right now...right now. 3 years from now when his contract is up, the guy is getting a pay raise. It's no more 8 to 10 million dollars per year, more like 12-13 million.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#336 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:24 pm

Rafael122 wrote:That's the thing though. Look, we score 100 or more points easily without Arenas. That's how good our offense is. If we lose Butler, so what? What are we going to lose?

I don't know if you were kidding or not, but the Wiz have reached 100 points in 2 of their last 15 games - and those were against the Knicks and Kings.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,783

Post#337 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Well, my point is we have no problems putting the ball in the basket. If AK comes over in a trade, whatever offensive production we lose will be offset by AK playing shut down defense.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,371

Post#338 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:28 pm

AK for Jamison? Yes

AK for Butler? No.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#339 » by WizarDynasty » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:04 pm

Amare is more of a system player--definitely never will be a dominant 2 way player like garnett because Amare isn't close to 7'0 and once his vertical starts to dwindle..he really doesn't have the wingspan to make up for it. If Caron can drop some weight and play sg, its ok to keep him otherwise let him go. We all know about the emply stats of jamison, a supposed powerforward that can't defend in the post against power players and he stands under 6'10--pass. AK47- or Aminu in the draft is the only real way to go except AK47 will probably have culture adaptation issues as the people of dc won't be able to connect with his russian disposition- if he had the charisma of Arnold then yeah which makes Aminu all the more valuable. SF super agile, can hit the jay and has 7'4 wingspan. Can't ask for a better gift from the heavens for this team unless our GM screws up and gets undersized non defensive griffin, a guy that can't dominate defensively against inferior college players.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,632

Post#340 » by pancakes3 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:00 am

First off, what system is Amare benefitting from? He's putting up 20/8 both under D'antoni's run and gun system and terry porter's slowed down offense. He's played both as Center and PF, going up against the western conference elite and does a damn good job. He's got legitimate inside and outside offensive skills (more complete than garnett and nowitzki imo) and is only 26 years old. I don't see him collapsing like a house of cards once he leaves phoenix.

Second off, what does shifting butler to SG and drafting Aminu have to do with the long term plan regarding our power forward position? I know you're not suggesting that Jamison is a better fit at PF than Amare is. So basically, you're poo-pooing the notion of trading for Amare, backpeddling on the worth of Butler, and pimping Aminu - your ideal physical specimin for SF all while convoluting the original argument.

Third off, how can you make the case that AK-47 won't adjust to life in DC? What cultural adaption are you talking about? I'm at a loss for words to compose a rational rebuttal.
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards