ImageImageImageImageImage

Long Term Plan? (merged threads)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,415

Re: Long Term Plan? (merged threads) 

Post#741 » by Jimmy Recard » Sun Mar 1, 2009 11:15 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Where I really love your post, Mosca, is that you didn't mention James (who I think might as well be waived to start next season).

Haha yer James is garbage.He adds nothing more than an occasionalstreaky jumpshot. I cant understand why he's starting over Critt.

Nate, Blatche has shown me enough this season to be a regular starter next year. Sure he occasionally makes stupid decisions and plays out of control, but atleast it looks like he's trying out there now. Ultimately, we are not more than a middle-pack team as long as Antawn is starting an playing 40 minutes a night. As much as he brings offensively, he's too much a a liablility defensively in the frontcourt. Andray has the potential to be a very good two-way player in this league and he works well playing next to Brendan.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#742 » by Severn Hoos » Mon Mar 2, 2009 12:10 am

nate33 wrote:I'd do a lineup more like this:

C - Haywood (32), Blatche (8), McGee (8)
PF - Blatche (22), Jamison (26)
SF - Butler (34), Jamison (6), McGuire (8)
SG - McGuire (24), Young (24)
PG Arenas (36), Critt (12)

But for now, Blatche hasn't shown the consistency or effort to take the starting spot from Jamison. I agree that, ultimately, we'll be a better team once Blatche can take the starting role, but he just doesn't deserve it yet. Maybe he'll grow up this summer and spend more time in the gym and less time at night clubs.

The crazy part about that lineup is that it doesn't even include the Top 5 pick - potentially #1 overall - that we're in line for this summer. Obviously, Griffin sliding in to the PF slot is a "problem" that we'd all gladly deal with. Hill might fit in as a PF/C combo (off the bench at first, for sure). Maybe plug Harden in to the mix (freeing us to trade Young to unload a bad contract?)

But overall, I agree that this is about the best case scenario for the rotation given the players we now have - if they were all ever healthy at the same time.
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 517

Post#743 » by The Consiglieri » Mon Mar 2, 2009 7:25 am

Just in reference to a few pages ago on Dom. I think nearly everyone was drinking the Kool Aid. I could be imagining it, but I remember a lot of people bothered w/the Nick Young pick (I wasn't and still am not), however w/Dom, I thought the vast majority of posters were supportive. As more and more research was done, we could see the sort of Poor Man's Rodman vibe about the guy. "Great Work Ethic," "Hungry as hell (definitely not the silver spoon prospect preordained for stardom, who doesnt think he needs to work), plays fierce defense, fights for all boards. What was there not to like? Well, he had no offensive game, but nearly every team can find room for a guy who plays hungry, grabs boards, and blocks shots and plays good D. I recall us liking the write ups and giving a lot of support to the pick.

McGee? Now McGee is a different story. A few of us propped it (me included, I live just 45-50 minutes or so from UNR), but some were vociferously against, and the rest were irritated (I saved my melt down for the trade of the 2nd rounder). That's what I remember anyway in regards to who was on board and not in regards to the picks in '07 and '08.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#744 » by MJG » Mon Mar 2, 2009 12:19 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:Just in reference to a few pages ago on Dom. I think nearly everyone was drinking the Kool Aid. I could be imagining it, but I remember a lot of people bothered w/the Nick Young pick (I wasn't and still am not), however w/Dom, I thought the vast majority of posters were supportive.

That's exactly how I remember it. I don't recall many outright disliking the pick, and a good chunk of those felt that way more so because there was someone else on the board they wanted instead (Strawberry was the popular one, I think) than anything against McGuire personally. And again as you say, lots of people really were against the Young pick. I don't think "I expect our second rounder to be better than our first rounder" was all that uncommon a view point at the time. Heck, if you add in an extra month or so an polled the board post-summer league, it probably would have been the majority view.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#745 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 2, 2009 3:56 pm

MJG wrote:
The Consiglieri wrote:Just in reference to a few pages ago on Dom. I think nearly everyone was drinking the Kool Aid. I could be imagining it, but I remember a lot of people bothered w/the Nick Young pick (I wasn't and still am not), however w/Dom, I thought the vast majority of posters were supportive.

That's exactly how I remember it. I don't recall many outright disliking the pick, and a good chunk of those felt that way more so because there was someone else on the board they wanted instead (Strawberry was the popular one, I think) than anything against McGuire personally. And again as you say, lots of people really were against the Young pick. I don't think "I expect our second rounder to be better than our first rounder" was all that uncommon a view point at the time. Heck, if you add in an extra month or so an polled the board post-summer league, it probably would have been the majority view.

I was initially against the McGuire pick because I really liked Aaron Gray (still do, although we don't need him after drafting McGee) but I do remember doc talking him up starting immediately after the draft. After seeing DMac play in that first summer league in 2007 I became a believer. I've actually been a bit surprised that it's taken him this long to become a factor.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,449

Post#746 » by mhd » Mon Mar 2, 2009 4:33 pm

Notice how Dmac immediatly started getting PT when EJ was fired? EJ didn't play Dmac at all when he was coaching early in the season.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#747 » by barelyawake » Mon Mar 2, 2009 6:10 pm

MJG wrote:

For months (if not years), I was on about Rudy, Marco and Splitter. In fact, two years out from that draft, I posted an article about Rudy playing La Bomba (back when we had La Bomba's rights), where I talked up Rudy not La Bomba. To which Ruz said, why the hell are you talking up the guy we don't own the rights to. Fight ensues over whether Rudy is too skinny and a bust in the making.

About Young pick, I was absolutely yelling that we should have traded down and gotten Rudy, Splitter or Marco. I said Young was soft mentally. About the Dom pick, I was one of a handful (if that) who immediately called Dom the steal of the draft. I said one look at Dom and you could tell he was tough, combine that with his profile of hard work, and the kid is going to blow-up. Eight page fight ensues over whether you can tell from a picture if a guy is tough. Lots of posters saying it's psychobabble to be able to tell from Dom's pic that he's a confident, tough guy.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#748 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 2, 2009 6:53 pm

Barely, if you had a picture of me, you'd see the all-knowing wisdom in my eyes, reeking... of sincerity and charm... and you'd never doubt a word that I post.

Dom's coming along well, but I'm not sure he's more than a solid role player - which is fine.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#749 » by barelyawake » Mon Mar 2, 2009 7:01 pm

LOL I only review these things to remind the foundational posters to keep an open mind to the new breed of posters who wander on here. I think you made it your mission to disagree with me on everything three years ago, Ruz. We all cool now. And as I've said, with the rainbow of drugs, shock therapy, and a steady girlfriend, I've mellowed. Now, we agree on almost everything.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#750 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 2, 2009 7:12 pm

We still need to put the new posters through the initiation process. Just so you're not surprised, if a guy named... say, Mosca... knocks on your door saying he has a message from Doc - and then kicks you below the belt and runs away as you're doubled over... just know that I had nothing to do with it, hypothetically. :wink:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#751 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Mon Mar 2, 2009 7:20 pm

I like having Dom come off the bench to shut down whoever's hot. That's a nice tool to have in the box.

People are still divided on N1. Some are saying his defense is better than people realize, and the other camp is saying all he can do is score. I think I'm in the first camp. I don't see him going "oh geeze I'm supposed to be over THERE?!?!?!" like some other highly regarded players on this team. He hustles and knows where he's supposed to be and most of the time he gets there and sometimes he doesn't, cause he's young. That's fine.

Ever since the "two dribbles and make a move" rule has been imposed on N1, he has been much improved, he doesn't get hassled into bad turnovers and you can see the positive impact that has on him mentally. The problem is he still implodes when he misses his first shot, and some players are just like that at first and then they grow out of it. Whatsisname, the guy from the blazers in 92 was like that. He got traded to the suns or something and became an all star, so there you go.

[edit: Cliff Robinson]
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#752 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 2, 2009 7:20 pm

Mosca wrote:First time post!

What does everyone think of this possible rotation next season...

C - Haywood (28) Mcgee (20)
PF - Blatche (30) Antawn (18)
SF - Caron (36) Antawn (12)
SG - Dom (26) Young (22)
PG - Gilbert (36) Critt (12)

I cant see where Darius, Stevenson, Thomas and Pech fit in, but certainly a solid 9 man rotation there. A big starting line-up with two 7-footers maning the paint and a nice balance of offence and defense. Instant offence off the bench from Antawn and Young with Mcgee and Critt providing some energy. Thoughts? Also what does everyone think Critt's role will be once Gil gets back? Any chance him playing alongside Gil at the 2?

They could play a bit together, but I'd rather Gil play with a catch and shoot guard.

One thought -looking at the player grid up there and figuring they'll add 2 draft picks - it's sure be nice to make a 2 for 1 trade - even if the two combined are better than the one - as long as the 1 is better than each of the two. There's a numbers problem.

Btw, how did you pick your name - if you don't mind me asking. When I was growing up watching pro rasslin - my favorite rassler as a kid was Bob Backlund. And I was scared to death that this truly evil big guy named Angelo "King Kong" Mosca was going to hurt him. But Bob drank his milk, and finished him off with the dreaded chicken wing hold.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,393

Post#753 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 2, 2009 7:28 pm

ZonkertheBrainless wrote:I like having Dom come off the bench to shut down whoever's hot. That's a nice tool to have in the box.

For now, I'm content to assume that the opposing team's best player will be hot. So we may as well start DMac in order to guard him right away.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#754 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Mon Mar 2, 2009 8:17 pm

You're a "glass is half empty" kinda guy, aren't you?
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,393

Post#755 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 2, 2009 8:54 pm

ZonkertheBrainless wrote:You're a "glass is half empty" kinda guy, aren't you?

:lol:
Only with the Wizards.

My real point is that, for now, we don't have the luxury of putting the DMac "tool" in the "box". We need that tool clenched in our hands from the moment of tipoff. If we had another credible defensive-minded starter, then sure, it would be nice to have DMac off the bench.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,415

Post#756 » by Jimmy Recard » Mon Mar 2, 2009 10:32 pm

Ruzious wrote: They could play a bit together, but I'd rather Gil play with a catch and shoot guard.

One thought -looking at the player grid up there and figuring they'll add 2 draft picks - it's sure be nice to make a 2 for 1 trade - even if the two combined are better than the one - as long as the 1 is better than each of the two. There's a numbers problem.

Btw, how did you pick your name - if you don't mind me asking. When I was growing up watching pro rasslin - my favorite rassler as a kid was Bob Backlund. And I was scared to death that this truly evil big guy named Angelo "King Kong" Mosca was going to hurt him. But Bob drank his milk, and finished him off with the dreaded chicken wing hold.

haha...easy, it's my last name.

I didn't even consider our lottery pick next season either, but i get the feeling Ernie will trade the pick unless we happen to land Beasely. Except for Antawn, i consider each of those guys untouchable.

I'm not keen on trading Butler unless we get equal value in return. And even though Gil's contract is atrocious, i think he'll surpise some people when he comes back. If he can be atleast 90% of his old self (on the court) then im happy. I really like our young crop of players coming through because they each bring something different. Critt = Playmaker. Young = Scorer. Dom = Stopper. Mcgee = Hustler. Pech = Shooter. Blatche = a bit of everything.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,391

Post#757 » by doclinkin » Mon Mar 2, 2009 10:46 pm

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,696

Post#758 » by penbeast0 » Mon Mar 2, 2009 11:56 pm

Damn Doc, you've been working out, I'm impressed! :-)
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,032

Post#759 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 3, 2009 7:18 am

Mosca wrote:
Ruzious wrote: They could play a bit together, but I'd rather Gil play with a catch and shoot guard.

haha...easy, it's my last name.

I didn't even consider our lottery pick next season either, but i get the feeling Ernie will trade the pick unless we happen to land Beasely. Except for Antawn, i consider each of those guys untouchable.

I'm not keen on trading Butler unless we get equal value in return. And even though Gil's contract is atrocious, i think he'll surpise some people when he comes back. If he can be atleast 90% of his old self (on the court) then im happy. I really like our young crop of players coming through because they each bring something different. Critt = Playmaker. Young = Scorer. Dom = Stopper. Mcgee = Hustler. Pech = Shooter. Blatche = a bit of everything.

I agree there are definitely talented players on the roster. Who the Wizards select for coach will make all the difference in the world.

However, IMO it won't do a bit of good if they select a coach on the current staff to coach this team next season. They'll see the roster the same old way. E Tapp is running EJ's stuff and playing AJ and CB way too many minutes. I don't want Little Wes or anybody else on the staff even working with the talent next season.

I'd like Thibodeau or Blatt or Joerger or Saunders or any other sharp coach to bring in an all new crew to start over.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#760 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 3, 2009 2:24 pm

Ruzious wrote:Barely, if you had a picture of me, you'd see the all-knowing wisdom in my eyes, reeking... of sincerity and charm... and you'd never doubt a word that I post.

Dom's coming along well, but I'm not sure he's more than a solid role player - which is fine.

Time to put down the wisdom stick if your placing a ceiling on this kid. Right now, he doesn't have ceiling. He could become a CB with hope and more size and better D. Last I checked, that can get you to a few all star games.

Return to Washington Wizards