Long Term Plan? (merged threads)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,543

Re: Long Term Plan? (merged threads) 

Post#801 » by closg00 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:22 pm

nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:Even as the season winds-down, teams are calling-up players from the D-League left and right. Why make Crit a lock for our future back-up?

Because we've committed to paying him $1.5M next year.

Ahh, I thought Crit was in the same boat as Juan. Oh-well :oops:

Still, long-term, I'd like to see us have a PG in that slot who was a threat to take-over offensively if-required, James is outta here sooner rather than later hopefully. Perhaps working with new coaching staff will turn Crit into that guy.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#802 » by hands11 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:08 pm

Long term plan check.

Step 1 - Get GA on the court
Step 2 - Get Haywood on the court - ( we have heard nothing about Etan
Step 3 - Get CB on the court with them
Step 4 - Evaluate what you have with them and your more experienced younger players
Step 5 - Establish some rotations and new roles ie. How to best use GA. How much SG. How much PG.

Roster.
Haywood, AJ, CB, DS, GA
McGee, Etan, DSong, AB, DMAC, NY, Critter

Thats 12

Extra pieces to deal with - OP, James and Draft Pick

Step 6 - Figure this out. Will DS be healthy enough to start the season ?
DS and James are redundant and both can be replaced.
Etan and DSong are redundant. Etan is stronger and a better rebounder but DSong is the better player, passer, cutter and shooter. We need one of them as a vet off the bench but not both longer term. Etan is obviously first to go given his salary and constant injuries.

So lots is on the plate. We can draft any position other then center or not at all since we can get a player via free agency or trade. But first things first, we need to get our players back on the court.

Most would agree we can upgrade the DS slot. We can do that either by moving GA there and getting a PG or by getting a better SG. Another option that less liked is CB at SG with AJ at SF with some new at PF. That can be Blatche or next year and beyond it can be McGee. Longer term one of CB or AJ comes off the bench or one is gone.

Lots of options. We need to start trying some of them.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#803 » by no D in Hibachi » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:46 am

If there is anything we've learned over the last few weeks it's that next year DeShawn Stevenson has no roll on this team going forward. Dom is a better "defensive stopper" than DeShawn and N1 is a better offensive player than DeShawn and has made significant improvements, in my untrained eye, on the defensive end (regardless of all the trash Ivan will talk about his defensive ability). Between them and occasionally Caron at the SG position there will be no room for DeShawn going forward. That said, what will the Wiz be able to do to rid themselves of DeShawn? I know its been discussed that they can trade down in the draft and dump his contract while picking up a lower pick. However the problem with that is the only players to select at that point are all underachieving or super raw SG prospects.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#804 » by fishercob » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:34 pm

no D in Hibachi wrote:If there is anything we've learned over the last few weeks it's that next year DeShawn Stevenson has no roll on this team going forward. Dom is a better "defensive stopper" than DeShawn and N1 is a better offensive player than DeShawn and has made significant improvements, in my untrained eye, on the defensive end (regardless of all the trash Ivan will talk about his defensive ability). Between them and occasionally Caron at the SG position there will be no room for DeShawn going forward. That said, what will the Wiz be able to do to rid themselves of DeShawn? I know its been discussed that they can trade down in the draft and dump his contract while picking up a lower pick. However the problem with that is the only players to select at that point are all underachieving or super raw SG prospects.

Problem is that this isn't hockey and you can't sub on the fly. When healthy, Deshawn's probably the most complete (certainly the most consistent) of the three. I hope Nick and Dom improve their D and O respectively so that that is no longer the case, but barring a major acquisition, I;d assume Deshawn is our starting 2-gaurd if he's healthy next yr.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#805 » by LyricalRico » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:34 pm

I like the look of a young, big, athletic team with Gil running the show. That's the direction this team needs to move in.
hands11
Banned User

Post#806 » by hands11 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:41 am

no D in Hibachi wrote:If there is anything we've learned over the last few weeks it's that next year DeShawn Stevenson has no roll on this team going forward. Dom is a better "defensive stopper" than DeShawn and N1 is a better offensive player than DeShawn and has made significant improvements, in my untrained eye, on the defensive end (regardless of all the trash Ivan will talk about his defensive ability). Between them and occasionally Caron at the SG position there will be no room for DeShawn going forward. That said, what will the Wiz be able to do to rid themselves of DeShawn? I know its been discussed that they can trade down in the draft and dump his contract while picking up a lower pick. However the problem with that is the only players to select at that point are all underachieving or super raw SG prospects.

This is the same thing I was saying last year. But now he has the added benefit of having back surgery.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,543

Post#807 » by closg00 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:09 am

LyricalRico wrote:I like the look of a young, big, athletic team with Gil running the show. That's the direction this team needs to move in.

:nod: with Blake Griffin :)
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#808 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:41 pm

Posted this in the trade thread but it probably belongs here...

Okay, I have become convinced that Butler is more of a problem than Jamison. Just watching him last night, the guy just can't defend and he take too many jumpshots outside the flow of the offense. The team really took off against Detroit when he was out of the game and we had longer, more athletic guys out there. I realize that he wasn't 100% that night...but that's another reason - he's never 100%. Sure, Jamison has his faults but at least he's there every night and we showed last year he can be a decent defender if Haywood is back there telling him where to go.

If we can move Butler for a big, athletic wing that's more durable and maybe get a nasty big man out of the deal we'd be a much better team IMO. Something like Butler+contracts for Prince and Maxiell would make sense to me.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,391

Post#809 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:44 pm

Butler + Blatche for Granger would be nice.
fifthstop
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#810 » by fifthstop » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:49 pm

And the soulja boy thing didn't exactly raise his stock either...
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,116

Post#811 » by Dat2U » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:09 pm

fishercob wrote:
Problem is that this isn't hockey and you can't sub on the fly. When healthy, Deshawn's probably the most complete (certainly the most consistent) of the three. I hope Nick and Dom improve their D and O respectively so that that is no longer the case, but barring a major acquisition, I;d assume Deshawn is our starting 2-gaurd if he's healthy next yr.

That's a pretty damning indictment on the other two then. I'm having mixed feelings on McGuire, I like what he brings to the table in terms of defense & rebounding and I love his length on the perimeter but he's honestly accomplishing very little in all these minutes he's getting. There's too many of these 2 pts 5 reb 2 asts nights in like 35 minutes of play. He's simply not productive enough to stay in the lineup IMO. Maybe playing with Gil will make things easier for him but I have some doubts.

If DeShawn comes back next year as a starter, then Ernie should be fired. As much as I bash Jamison at the PF position, even I realize that the gaping hole on this team is the SG spot. Even in the absolute best of times for DeShawn, he was only a passable option. Now, after back surgery, he may never even get to that level again. The team has to upgrade the position. Even if we luck up with Blake Griffin, ignoring the problem in the backcourt would be unexceptable.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#812 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:22 pm

nate33 wrote:Butler + Blatche for Granger would be nice.

:clap:

I'd even throw in Nick Young to make that work.
Notorious_1
Freshman

Post#813 » by Notorious_1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:46 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

I love the idea of Caron + fillers for Granger..as a matter of fact I posted that in the trade thread
Notorious_1
Freshman

Post#814 » by Notorious_1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:46 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

I love the idea of Caron + fillers for Granger..as a matter of fact I posted that in the trade thread
BlaZeN27
Sixth Man

Post#815 » by BlaZeN27 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:08 pm

You realize Danny Granger is the entire Indiana Pacers franchise at this point right? I highly doubt they would trade him for Caron Butler and a role player or two.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#816 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:29 pm

BlaZeN27 wrote:You realize Danny Granger is the entire Indiana Pacers franchise at this point right? I highly doubt they would trade him for Caron Butler and a role player or two.

Yeah, he is the face of their franchise. He's probably next to untouchable.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,345

Post#817 » by dobrojim » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:45 pm

nate33 wrote:I'd really like to add Hinrich. He's a nice fit on this roster as a compliment to Arenas. The only caveat is that we would need to include the contracts of Stevenson and Songaila as the "filler", not James and/or Etan. We simply can't afford to pay Hinrich if Stevenson and Songaila are still on the roster.

I'd seriously consider something like: Young + Songaila + Stevenson for Hinrich.

I'm not feeling the love on Hinrich. He's not terrible or anything but I have this
lingering suspicion that if we traded Nick for Hinrich, 2-3 years from now, that
trade would look REALLY bad, Webber-Richmod bad. Hinrich has peaked. He's
servicable, not much more. He's DeShawn08 with a more consistent jumper
and without the stupid I can't feel my face routine.

Show me the stats that say I'm WAY off on this.

what did their respective 2nd year stats look like?
Or their 22 year old stats?

Maybe I'm delusional from watching spectacular dunks. I dunno.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
hands11
Banned User

Post#818 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:45 am

LyricalRico wrote:Posted this in the trade thread but it probably belongs here...

Okay, I have become convinced that Butler is more of a problem than Jamison. Just watching him last night, the guy just can't defend and he take too many jumpshots outside the flow of the offense. The team really took off against Detroit when he was out of the game and we had longer, more athletic guys out there. I realize that he wasn't 100% that night...but that's another reason - he's never 100%. Sure, Jamison has his faults but at least he's there every night and we showed last year he can be a decent defender if Haywood is back there telling him where to go.

If we can move Butler for a big, athletic wing that's more durable and maybe get a nasty big man out of the deal we'd be a much better team IMO. Something like Butler+contracts for Prince and Maxiell would make sense to me.

Well who won't do that. Prince is gold in this league. Long, can hit the 3, drives, defends and is a good team player. Yeah, I think I would take Prince.
hands11
Banned User

Post#819 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:48 am

BlaZeN27 wrote:You realize Danny Granger is the entire Indiana Pacers franchise at this point right? I highly doubt they would trade him for Caron Butler and a role player or two.

Exactly. Rack it up in the another silly trade idea column.

How about CB and filler for Chris Paul while we are at it.
hands11
Banned User

Post#820 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:25 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=4018165

What's The Difference Between Danny Granger and Kobe Bryant?

Return to Washington Wizards