Long Term Plan? (merged threads)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Long Term Plan? (merged threads) 

Post#821 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:53 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02479.html

Could my long awaited wish finally come true ?

And that, perhaps, is the way he will play it in the future, with more emphasis on his role as point guard and leader; time will tell, but by next season Arenas may be a 20-point, but not 28-point scorer, but with more assists and more concern for giving his team cohesiveness. Many stars, Paul Pierce recently in Boston, have made that adjustment in mid-career when injury or changes in team personnel dictated its wisdom.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,395

Post#822 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:19 pm

hands11 wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/28/AR2009032802479.html

And that, perhaps, is the way he will play it in the future, with more emphasis on his role as point guard and leader; time will tell, but by next season Arenas may be a 20-point, but not 28-point scorer, but with more assists and more concern for giving his team cohesiveness. Many stars, Paul Pierce recently in Boston, have made that adjustment in mid-career when injury or changes in team personnel dictated its wisdom.

Let's hope so.

I think most of us understand that you can't win a championship when your PG scores 27 points a night. I've been hoping that Arenas would make the "Chauncey Billups conversion" and learn to be a more cerebral PG with less scoring and more passing. What I liked about the Detroit game was that Arenas seemed so calm and in control. He made those nice plays without appearing to break a sweat. He seemed slower to me, but in a good way. If that's an indication of what's to come, then I think we are in for some real success in the upcoming years.

The next step is for Arenas to become a more disciplined defender. I can accept that he can't be a top notch man-to-man defender for 40 minutes a night. But what I want is for him to not get sucked into the lane or get stuck ball watching. Just play smart defense. And if he can continue to get his teammates involved offensively, maybe it'll allow Arenas to spend more energy on defense as well.

Of course, "smart defense" and "Wizards team defense" are mutually exclusive. We've got to get a better scheme.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#823 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:32 pm

hands11 wrote:
BlaZeN27 wrote:You realize Danny Granger is the entire Indiana Pacers franchise at this point right? I highly doubt they would trade him for Caron Butler and a role player or two.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=4018165

What's The Difference Between Danny Granger and Kobe Bryant?

Is Broussard aware that there are more stats than scoring?
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User

Post#824 » by hands11 » Wed Apr 1, 2009 2:17 am

nate33 wrote:
hands11 wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/28/AR2009032802479.html

Let's hope so.

I think most of us understand that you can't win a championship when your PG scores 27 points a night. I've been hoping that Arenas would make the "Chauncey Billups conversion" and learn to be a more cerebral PG with less scoring and more passing. What I liked about the Detroit game was that Arenas seemed so calm and in control. He made those nice plays without appearing to break a sweat. He seemed slower to me, but in a good way. If that's an indication of what's to come, then I think we are in for some real success in the upcoming years.

The next step is for Arenas to become a more disciplined defender. I can accept that he can't be a top notch man-to-man defender for 40 minutes a night. But what I want is for him to not get sucked into the lane or get stuck ball watching. Just play smart defense. And if he can continue to get his teammates involved offensively, maybe it'll allow Arenas to spend more energy on defense as well.

Of course, "smart defense" and "Wizards team defense" are mutually exclusive. We've got to get a better scheme.

I totally agree. While I didn't type it above, that is the second part of the dream I have had for years.
hands11
Banned User

Post#825 » by hands11 » Wed Apr 1, 2009 6:24 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02831.html

Good read on Crit.

Sounds like he isn't taking anything for granted. I hope we keep him around.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#826 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Apr 1, 2009 1:50 pm

I wish I could share your view of that article, hands. In my reading, it looked like pure puffery. Yes, it's nice that Crittenton is getting minutes. He's a good kid and it's good that he's getting a chance. The real question, though, is what he's doing with those minutes. The stats Lee includes, which are intended to convey that Crittenton is getting better, are preposterous. First, scoring is the least important of Crittenton's roles. Second, an improvement in per game stats is meaningless because of the increase in his minutes.

Per minute stats are more useful, and they don't show improvement. His assists went from 5.8 per 40 minutes in January to 6.1 per 40 in February to 4.5 in March. His turnovers went from 2.1 per 40 in January to 3.2 in February to 2.7 in March. His assist/turnover ratio -- a key number for any player, but especially PGs -- went from 2.7 in January to 1.9 in February to 1.7 in March. Wrong direction.

One thing he does pretty well for a PG is rebound, but that dipped from 6.0 boards per 40 minutes in January and February to 5.2 in March.

On the positive side, his scoring did go up a bit in March because he shot the ball a bit more and made a better percentage than in previous months.

Subjectively, he looks a bit more confident on the floor, for whatever that's worth. He seems like a good kid, and he works hard. But he has a loooooooong way to go on the court before he's ready to be more than a 4th or 5th guard on a good team.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,032

Post#827 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Apr 1, 2009 2:18 pm

Crittenton's not really a PG and he's not a good shooter.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/javaris_c ... stats.html

Crittenton's 1-11 from 3Pt on the season, and only 22% for his career.

Crittenton's 40-71 from the FT line, 56% on the season and 63% for his career.

Prior to this season, Crittenton had 56 assists and 57 turnovers. A 1:1 ratio. As a Wizard that's improved. He's got 126 assists and 67 turnovers for the Wiz. A 2:1 ratio. (Okay, Kev, it's actually closer to a 1.88:1 ratio)

He's shooting 45% this season, with most of his points coming on dunks following penetration.

Javaris better learn to shoot better from outside, and if he wants to stay in the league I think he better turn into a terrifc defender. He can't do much on offense and he's not a floor general.

Crittenton's an athlete that needs to refine his game quite a bit.
Bye bye Beal.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#828 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Apr 1, 2009 2:57 pm

I agree that he needs to get a jumper and he needs to improve defensively. He doesn't get steals, he doesn't lock guys up, and he's not very physical. Hopla should be able to help on the shooting -- if Crittenton is willing to put in the time to take something like 100,000 jumpers this summer. If not, he'll hang around on someone's bench until the quickness starts to go.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,395

Post#829 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 1, 2009 3:42 pm

I knew I was right when I blasted the original Crittenton trade. We threw away a future 1st round pick for nothing... except the obligation to pay Crittenton $4M over the next two years (which will actually cost Abe $6-8M because of the luxtax).
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#830 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Apr 1, 2009 4:07 pm

I wouldn't say it's a wasted trade -- yet. He's still only 21 years old and has the physical ability to be a solid player. Like so many youngsters, it's about whether he's willing to work.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#831 » by LyricalRico » Wed Apr 1, 2009 4:09 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Prior to this season, Crittenton had 56 assists and 57 turnovers. A 1:1 ratio. As a Wizard that's improved. He's got 126 assists and 67 turnovers for the Wiz. A 2:1 ratio.

He's shooting 45% this season, with most of his points coming on dunks following penetration.

Javaris better learn to shoot better from outside, and if he wants to stay in the league I think he better turn into a terrifc defender. He can't do much on offense and he's not a floor general.

None of us were under the delusion that we were getting the next Chris Paul but I don't think he's been as bad as some are articulating. I actually think Critt's been pretty good. He certainly exceeded my expectations. He pushes the ball, is active on defense, and can dish in traffic. I also think he's got solid chemistry with JaVale and DMac, perhaps forming the core of an "energy unit" that can be used situationally next season.

The jumper is definitely a problem but remember that Rajon Rondo had the same problem (and still does). There were major questions about Rondo being the C's starting PG after they acquired KG and Ray Allen. The difference is, unlike the way we treat our young players, Rondo got the chance to start and play big minutes with HOF caliber players. If it weren't for injuries, Critt wouldn't have even been given a chance to try with the Wiz.

To be fair Critt isn't the defender Rondo is but it's also fair to admit that we're not asking him to be a starter on a championship team. We're asking him to work his way into a backup role, and I think he's well on his way to becoming that.

I also don't think you can bash other guys on the Wiz and then blame Critt for not having more assists. Having a 2-to-1 A/TO ratio is actually pretty good considering who he's been passing to this year. Give him another year to learn and actually play with the Big Three and I think you'll see that the investment paid off when he steps into the backup role after Mike James leaves.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#832 » by fishercob » Wed Apr 1, 2009 4:16 pm

I agree with RIco to an extent (the Rondo/Critt comparison is apples/oranges to me). The one other thing I'd add in Critt's defense is that CCJ's "prior to this season" stats were extremely limited and spread over two teams. It's not like there's a huge sample size to draw conclusions from. We know he can't shoot, but he has the tools to do other things well.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
RealGM

Post#833 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Apr 1, 2009 4:35 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Prior to this season, Crittenton had 56 assists and 57 turnovers. A 1:1 ratio. As a Wizard that's improved. He's got 126 assists and 67 turnovers for the Wiz. A 2:1 ratio.

None of us were under the delusion that we were getting the next Chris Paul but I don't think he's been as bad as some are articulating. I actually think Critt's been pretty good. He certainly exceeded my expectations. He pushes the ball, is active on defense, and can dish in traffic. I also think he's got solid chemistry with JaVale and DMac, perhaps forming the core of an "energy unit" that can be used situationally next season.

The jumper is definitely a problem but remember that Rajon Rondo had the same problem (and still does). There were major questions about Rondo being the C's starting PG after they acquired KG and Ray Allen. The difference is, unlike the way we treat our young players, Rondo got the chance to start and play big minutes with HOF caliber players. If it weren't for injuries, Critt wouldn't have even been given a chance to try with the Wiz.

To be fair Critt isn't the defender Rondo is but it's also fair to admit that we're not asking him to be a starter on a championship team. We're asking him to work his way into a backup role, and I think he's well on his way to becoming that.

I also don't think you can bash other guys on the Wiz and then blame Critt for not having more assists. Having a 2-to-1 A/TO ratio is actually pretty good considering who he's been passing to this year. Give him another year to learn and actually play with the Big Three and I think you'll see that the investment paid off when he steps into the backup role after Mike James leaves.

Since you put it that way, LR, I feel better about him as a passer.

Like TSW, I don't see the steals for him to become a Rondo-type player. Still, I do think next year will be the year to judge Crittenton.
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,633

Post#834 » by pancakes3 » Wed Apr 1, 2009 4:45 pm

Just to gain perspective on what the rest of the league thinks of our players:

(gilbert) viewtopic.php?f=64&t=894319&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

(butler) viewtopic.php?f=64&t=893796
Bullets -> Wizards
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#835 » by BigA » Wed Apr 1, 2009 5:08 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Just to gain perspective on what the rest of the league thinks of our players:

(gilbert) viewtopic.php?f=64&t=894319&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

(butler) viewtopic.php?f=64&t=893796

Yeah, the views on Gilbert are pretty polarized, which is to be expected. Half the people on that thread think he's the highest negative value, and half want their teams to trade for him.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#836 » by no D in Hibachi » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:07 am

The game against the Trav's strengthened my feelings about how there is no longer a place for DeShawn on this team. When Arenas and Haywood are both healthy the 1st team has enough offense than they can concede offense from the SG because D-Mac provides so much in other areas. He's a better passer, finisher, and rebounder than DeShawn. He is also a better on the ball defender, team defender, and a more versitile defender than DeShawn. Further more, Nick Young is a better reserve SG than DeShawn because he can provide instant offense, where as DeShawn cannot create his own shot and shoots a terrible percentage. I think EG has to clear this log-jam at the SG spot this summer.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#837 » by DaRealHibachi » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:15 am

no D in Hibachi wrote:The game against the Trav's strengthened my feelings about how there is no longer a place for DeShawn on this team. When Arenas and Haywood are both healthy the 1st team has enough offense than they can concede offense from the SG because D-Mac provides so much in other areas. He's a better passer, finisher, and rebounder than DeShawn. He is also a better on the ball defender, team defender, and a more versitile defender than DeShawn. Further more, Nick Young is a better reserve SG than DeShawn because he can provide instant offense, where as DeShawn cannot create his own shot and shoots a terrible percentage. I think EG has to clear this log-jam at the SG spot this summer.

Absolutely right... DS doesn´t need to be on his team for defense or offense... Especially if DMac can work on and consistantly hit a 3point shot and Young can keep playing the same defense he´s been playing these last games...

DeShawn, Ames and the Poet are useless on this team...
:beer: Magnumt
hands11
Banned User

Post#838 » by hands11 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 5:45 am

LyricalRico wrote:

That's the bus I'm on. Also consider he is 6-5 and pretty strong. And tough. You don't get all those rebounds being a PG without a lot of fight in you. And also some good anticipation. Like I said before, his form looks pretty good. I think they commented in the article that his problem is were he releases the ball. It isn't consistence enough. That can be fixed. It's probably the same reason he isn't great at free throws. He came here during the season. Give them an off season to work with him. I bet he will works with Gil a lot.

Also I love that he nailed that 3 and acted like he had done it before and we know that is hardly true.

I think he will only get better. There is nothing glaring that is in his way. He is athletic 6-5 200 lbs, young, strong, focused, level headed, and a hard working. That's some decent clay to mold. Remember he was early out of college so he needs some coaching.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,391

Post#839 » by doclinkin » Fri Apr 3, 2009 5:52 am

JCritter is also a serious student of the game. He's apparently got an extensive video collection of various Point Guards that he studies and tries to pick up tips from. I suspect he'll improve a few notches as he keeps grinding. Hard work + a modicum of smarts + athleticism + coaching tends to pay off eventually in most cases.

Unless of course you're Mike Ruffin.
RealGM

Post#840 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Apr 3, 2009 6:26 am

Ruffin's still in the league, playing for the playoff-bound Blazers.

That dude, chemical engineering major with very limited game, has to be one of the smartest players in the league. Coaches love him.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards