ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Potential Coaches Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Discussing Potential Coaches Thread 

Post#181 » by yungal07 » Wed Mar 4, 2009 8:12 pm

I don't think Thibs would have a problem getting the respect of our players. Kobe Bryant said Thibs' defensive adjustments in the finals was the single reason why he struggled against the C's.

Just some of what Kobe said on Thibs:

"I've been facing his defenses here for some time and they're tough - very, very tough," Bryant said on the eve of tonight's Game2. "Every single team he's been on has had great strategies and physical defenses."

"He's awesome."

Celtics Pierce and Perk:

"Celtics All-Star Paul Pierce calls him the hardest working assistant coach he's ever been around while Kendrick Perkins says that Thibodeau is the "best thing" that's happened to the team."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... tml?page=1

This is the guy Eddie Jordan ran off to the Celtics. Cotdamn I hate that guy more and more everyday.
eltacoman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#182 » by eltacoman » Wed Mar 4, 2009 8:51 pm

i think Grunfeld wants Thibodeau but if he cant he will go with Flip Saunders

this Laimbeer guy seem really interesting too
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,368

Post#183 » by dobrojim » Thu Mar 5, 2009 4:59 pm

in emails with my ticket rep yesterday he said EG thinks highly of TT
and he is definitely on the radar.

I understand that doesn't mean a whole heckuva lot
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 557

Post#184 » by daSwami » Thu Mar 5, 2009 5:44 pm

hows about going really old school with the next coach? What's Billy Cunningham doing these days? sounds ridic, I know, but he was one of the best coaches of all time ans retired way too early. Hell, he's still 4 years younger than Don Nelson and Larry brown, and only 2 years older than Pat Riley and Phil Jackson. He was a tough guy - both as a player and a coach. a brooklyn thug, of sorts with a carolina pedigree. I doubt he's even interested at this point, but he's the archetype EG should be looking at.
:banghead:
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,884

Post#185 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 5, 2009 5:59 pm

Who ever our future coach is, I hope he's not so focused on the defensive end that he stifles the offensive creativity of guys like Gilbert.

And for that reason, I say NO to guys like Avery Johnson and particularly Jeff Van Gundy.

Heck, if Van Gundy gets the job I'll throw up.

Literally.

Out of the proven coaches on the market, I would go with Flip Saunders.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,368

Post#186 » by dobrojim » Thu Mar 5, 2009 6:45 pm

I wouldn't go with either Flip or AJ

Cunningham - there's a blast from the past

re defensive coaches - I doubt any coach could screw things up so bad
a team with Gil, Caron and AJ would have a bad offense. If that started
to happen, Gil would throw out the script real quick. Which maybe isn't
necessarily a good thing. I'm just sayin'
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,884

Post#187 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 5, 2009 7:44 pm

dobrojim wrote:I wouldn't go with either Flip or AJ

Cunningham - there's a blast from the past

re defensive coaches - I doubt any coach could screw things up so bad
a team with Gil, Caron and AJ would have a bad offense. If that started
to happen, Gil would throw out the script real quick. Which maybe isn't
necessarily a good thing. I'm just sayin'

I think Jeff Van Gundy would be a offense killer. Even with players like Gil, AJ etc.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,573

Post#188 » by nate33 » Thu Mar 5, 2009 10:08 pm

It's pointless to discuss JVG. He has a bad history with EG. He is not coming here.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#189 » by miller31time » Thu Mar 5, 2009 10:15 pm

Wizardspride wrote:Who ever our future coach is, I hope he's not so focused on the defensive end that he stifles the offensive creativity of guys like Gilbert.

And for that reason, I say NO to guys like Avery Johnson and particularly Jeff Van Gundy.

Literally.

Avery Johnson shouldn't be the coach (because he has the type of personality that will wear on his players in a year or so), but when his players actually respond to him, he's an excellent teacher of the X's and O's.

His Mavericks team (the team that made it to the finals against the Heat) was one of the best teams in NBA history. They had multiple 15+ game winning streaks, they were a top offensive team, a top defensive team, and had...what....67 wins? Had they not gotten off to a slow start, 70 wins would have been easy for them.

If he could control his temper and not be so uptight all the time, he'd be an incredible coach, but as we all know, coaching ISN'T all about the X's and O's, though it helps if you know them.
Da HomeTeam
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#190 » by Da HomeTeam » Fri Mar 6, 2009 2:41 pm

miller31time wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:Who ever our future coach is, I hope he's not so focused on the defensive end that he stifles the offensive creativity of guys like Gilbert.

Literally.

Avery Johnson shouldn't be the coach (because he has the type of personality that will wear on his players in a year or so), but when his players actually respond to him, he's an excellent teacher of the X's and O's.

His Mavericks team (the team that made it to the finals against the Heat) was one of the best teams in NBA history. They had multiple 15+ game winning streaks, they were a top offensive team, a top defensive team, and had...what....67 wins? Had they not gotten off to a slow start, 70 wins would have been easy for them.

If he could control his temper and not be so uptight all the time, he'd be an incredible coach, but as we all know, coaching ISN'T all about the X's and O's, though it helps if you know them.

Everybody keeps sayin that. And perhaps its true. But the same thing is said about Larry Brown. They make their teams better period.
R.I.P. #21 - Gone but not forgotten!
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,435

Post#191 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 6, 2009 5:18 pm

Da HomeTeam wrote:
Everybody keeps sayin that. And perhaps its true. But the same thing is said about Larry Brown. They make their teams better period.

No Avery didn't.

I maintain the primary engine behind Dallas' defensive resurgence was loss of Antoine and Antawn from their frontlines, and the addition of a few big bodies up front.

Avery Johnson got way too much credit on a team that had TWELVE assistant coaches. His in-game adjustments clearly were no good in crunch/clutch/playoff situations, and if his players were ready to revolt well then he was clearly no great leader of men/motivator either. The only effect Avery had that I'd give him credit for was that he insisted that his soft seven footer play in the paint-- big whoop-de-damn-do. The Avery Johnson effect is a farce, look elsewhere for your fool's gold.

I'd take Eric Snow before Avery Johnson. And that's way down the list. Heck I'll take Shane Battier.

Larry Brown, or Carlilse, sure those are coaching canker sores who make their team better. Johnson, not so much. My opinion only. We'll see if/when he gets another team. I just don't see it.
Da HomeTeam
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#192 » by Da HomeTeam » Fri Mar 6, 2009 7:25 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Da HomeTeam wrote:

No Avery didn't.

I maintain the primary engine behind Dallas' defensive resurgence was loss of Antoine and Antawn from their frontlines, and the addition of a few big bodies up front.

Avery Johnson got way too much credit on a team that had TWELVE assistant coaches. His in-game adjustments clearly were no good in crunch/clutch/playoff situations, and if his players were ready to revolt well then he was clearly no great leader of men/motivator either. The only effect Avery had that I'd give him credit for was that he insisted that his soft seven footer play in the paint-- big whoop-de-damn-do. The Avery Johnson effect is a farce, look elsewhere for your fool's gold.

I'd take Eric Snow before Avery Johnson. And that's way down the list. Heck I'll take Shane Battier.

Larry Brown, or Carlilse, sure those are coaching canker sores who make their team better. Johnson, not so much. My opinion only. We'll see if/when he gets another team. I just don't see it.

lol@Derrick Coleman quote.

Look I don't know what changed after he got there. But, he was coach of the year candidate with essentially the same roster that Nellie had. Byron Scott got run out of New Jersey and he's been successful in New Orleans so I say why not. Flip Sanders is THE WORST. I REPEAT THE WORST>
R.I.P. #21 - Gone but not forgotten!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#193 » by LyricalRico » Fri Mar 6, 2009 9:56 pm

I think Avery helped the Mavs at first. He gave them the boost they needed to get to the Finals, just like LB did for the Pistons. But soon after the team tuned him out and he had to go. Guys like that are what I call "finishers". They have a very short shelf-life and you should only hire them if your team is ready to contend. Needless to say the Wiz aren't at that stage.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 918

Post#194 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Fri Mar 6, 2009 11:27 pm

I guess Thibs would be a good choice, and could be the top candidate it seems...

Whatever happened to Rudy Tomjanovich??
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,435

Post#195 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 6, 2009 11:52 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I guess Thibs would be a good choice, and could be the top candidate it seems...

Whatever happened to Rudy Tomjanovich??

He's scouting for the Lakers I believe. Maybe the Rox, I forget. But has said he's very happy not having the pressure of the head coaching spot, needed a more low-key pace. Tanned, rested, and not planning on throwing his hat into the ring. But maybe some highlight reels of JaVale dunking and all, maybe we can entice him back into the game.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#196 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 8, 2009 4:06 pm

dobrojim wrote:in emails with my ticket rep yesterday he said EG thinks highly of TT
and he is definitely on the radar.

I understand that doesn't mean a whole heckuva lot

Well the fact that he was almost hear last year does.

Not hard to read those tea leaves.

We have one peak into who EG would bring in and we have one peak of who he would have leave.

Tapps was another peak we got. He choose an interim coach instead of locking into something before he had all the coaching choices available to him so he choose a player development coach that wasn't overly expensive and who had close ties to him and the organization. Some may not think Tapps to be a good head coach but he was a solid choice for the job he was given.

I would be real surprised if Tapps and EG aren't in constant contact regarding who to play and when and how to loose. I'm pretty sure they don't want to waste all this loosing for nothing. Initially, the really wanted to win and they tried but we really just didn't have the horses.

From EGs side, it was a great selection for several reasons not least of which is there will be no problem moving him back to his old job once he is done with this one.

My guess is that EG will want to bring someone here who have the credentials of a championship coach. Someone with much more then what EFJ brought.

I doubt it would be anything like Lambier. He could be an assistant but he wouldn't be a head coach. This team needs someone big enough to manage Gilbert. Someone who has already earned their strips.

It's interesting to go back 5 or more years and remember the state of this team. The culture of losing was so ingrained. I remember what a hard time MJ and Collins had dealing with that. It was kind of crazy to think you couldn't bring in a coach that would be to tough because the players couldn't handle it and had to much control. Back then even Haywood was a goof.

Well, we still have some of that but I think we are in a much better situation now. For the most part, I think our core players ( the ones that are going to be here longer term ) are ready for a top notch coach.

This team has a good opportunity to put itself on a good course for the next 3-5 years. This is all part of the same plan to turn this franchise around and get us on solid stable footing that can be sustained.

I see it all as one steady course of recover from the day MJ showed up and put us back on the map. It's been about 7-8 years since that day. I always saw it as a long term plan. Way to many people got to excited after EFJs second year. 20 years of sucking doesn't get cleaned up in 3 years for several reasons. For starters, nothing is going to go perfectly as planned. 2) The things that stop the bleeding don't necessarily get you to the top. There will be bumps and mistakes. One was we held onto EFJ at least 2 years to long. Personally, I think it was 3 years to long. It's hard to move forward without the right head coach.

Well, this is where we are now. That is the good news of this season. New coach. Top pick. Young players developing in the wings. That is the 2008/09 season. It was a needed step.

We have young talented players. We have a center/ power forward of the future and a solid every day center who has his best days still ahead of him in Haywood. If that was all you had, that would be a solid place to start. You would trade a team of talent to get 2 top 7-0 centers. But we have more then that. We have top scoring machine in Gilbert. We also have a solid young PG prospect and a bevy of other young talent to pick from. We have a good core with options. I'm not so sure AJ and CB will be here in the final configuration though. One ore both could be gone but they are good value for a trade. Plus we are getting a top draft pick.

That's an nice offering to attract a top coach. My guess is we will have our new coach before the draft. With EG as GM and the talent and pick this team will have, I think just about any coach would want to come here short of like a Phil or Pops.
hands11
Banned User

Post#197 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 8, 2009 4:12 pm

yungal07 wrote:I don't think Thibs would have a problem getting the respect of our players. Kobe Bryant said Thibs' defensive adjustments in the finals was the single reason why he struggled against the C's.

Just some of what Kobe said on Thibs:

"I've been facing his defenses here for some time and they're tough - very, very tough," Bryant said on the eve of tonight's Game2. "Every single team he's been on has had great strategies and physical defenses."

"He's awesome."

Celtics Pierce and Perk:

"Celtics All-Star Paul Pierce calls him the hardest working assistant coach he's ever been around while Kendrick Perkins says that Thibodeau is the "best thing" that's happened to the team."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... tml?page=1

This is the guy Eddie Jordan ran off to the Celtics. Cotdamn I hate that guy more and more everyday.

And some people were saying they hated Tapps more then EFJ. Typical RGM over reacting.

Tapps isn't even in the same universe as EFJ. Funny thing is, Thib could have saved EFJs job. Same with Haywood.

What an idiot. Nose.. meet face....

Any team that hires EFJ as a head coach is an idiot. He is an assistant coach. That is where he should go find work until he learns a few more wisdom lessons.
hands11
Banned User

Post#198 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 8, 2009 4:35 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Da HomeTeam wrote:

No Avery didn't.

And as it usually does, history repeats itself. Still need to move AJ if you want a solid defensive team. It's crazy. I have been bitching about moving AJ from PF since I first had a season to watch him play and realized it wasn't going to change. His slow lateral foot speed makes his a poor defender. He can run ok in a straight line but that's it.

How many years is that now ? 5 or 6 ? This was the one move I didn't like that EG did. That was fools gold and his contract just blow. I wanted a power power forward and a PG to run with Haywood and GA.

Oh how different this team would have looked if it was

Haywood, ( PF - ala R Wallace ) CB, GA, and a stud PG with Blatche getting tutored and someone like DS coming off the bench instead of starting. All our younger players would make a lot more sense. You even have to wonder if we would have ended up in a place were DS was was let go and RM kept.

Funny thing is, all these years latter, and we still have to same move that needs to be made because it wasn't made correctly back them. Hey, nothing goes perfectly. I just hope we can get it right and move forward. We still have that big challenge a head of us though. We have to transition from
GA, CB, AJ to maybe just 2 of them. Maybe just 1.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#199 » by closg00 » Mon Mar 9, 2009 7:30 pm

As for the next coach, all signs point to Flip Saunders. As I've reported before, Ernie Grunfeld is playing his cards close to the vest, but the chatter is that Saunders makes sense. I would agree.

All I can say is I can't wait to ditch the so-called "Princeton offense" no-matter who the coach is.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,174

Post#200 » by Dat2U » Mon Mar 9, 2009 7:41 pm

closg00 wrote:
As for the next coach, all signs point to Flip Saunders. As I've reported before, Ernie Grunfeld is playing his cards close to the vest, but the chatter is that Saunders makes sense. I would agree.

All I can say is I can't wait to ditch the so-called "Princeton offense" no-matter who the coach is.

Actually I felt pretty good when i read this. If Ivan writes it, that means it either already happened and reported by another paper or it will never happen.

I haven't read any other articles saying we've hired Flip Saunders as our next coach.

Return to Washington Wizards