Discussing Potential Coaches Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,115

Re: Discussing Potential Coaches Thread 

Post#301 » by Dat2U » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:10 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
ZonkertheBrainless wrote:Who was the first person to recommend Laimbeer? I wish I could search the archives, I bet I would have been close to the top.

I really do think it was me. Early in the 2006-07 season maybe? I remember mentioning it in the old chat format (after yet another EJ engineered loss) and getting a pretty good response.

Yes it was you. Zonk, myself and a few others were initally very supportive of the idea as well.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,390

Post#302 » by doclinkin » Thu Apr 2, 2009 11:14 pm

I say we cut to the chase:

Nevertheless, the Wizards were happy to have their big man back patrolling the middle.

"It's a luxury that we definitely have been missing all year," said Antawn Jamison, who had 28 and 10 rebounds. "Just his presence in the paint on both ends of the floor means a lot. He's somebody who normally tells me what to do, so it was good to have a very important, familiar face out there."

Brendan Haywood as Player Coach.

And hmmn, okay Eddie Jordan as his offensive assistant.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,014

Post#303 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 2, 2009 11:19 pm

That could actually work in about 5 years, doc.
Bye bye Beal.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#304 » by likwitdesi » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:17 am

What about Lawrence Frank if he is fired by the Nets?
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#305 » by hands11 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 5:13 am

Another option on the table regardless of who supports it or not is..

They keep Tapps and bring in TT like they tried with EJ here.

Tapps does another year and if they play well, he sticks around. Then they transition to TT down the road.

If he isn't working out, then they transition earlier. Either way, we have the defensive coaching we want.

Now that Tapps has some bodies, he should get a fresh look from people. With a full line up and 2 rusty starters, he beat the team with the best record in the league.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290104027
Here was the other win over them when we had Blatche, Etan and DSong in the post.

This is the scary part. 5 games left and we have all our players back. We could beat anyone on any night now as long as Haywood is out there and we have Gil on the floor. Actually, I even like our chances as long as we have even Crit.

But with Haywood and without GA or Crit, it's a crap shoot. You need a center and a pg to stand a good chance.

Hey, what this video.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=290402027

Only one other time in history a team with as bad a record as the Wizard beat a win on a win streak as large as Cleveland. That was a special win.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#306 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Apr 3, 2009 2:16 pm

Tapscott won't be the coach next year. He didn't even want to do it this year.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#307 » by MJG » Fri Apr 3, 2009 6:20 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:Tapscott won't be the coach next year. He didn't even want to do it this year.

That's the impression that I got when he was hired. Even if the team wanted him back, I don't think he'd be all that interested.
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#308 » by tkunit » Fri Apr 3, 2009 6:58 pm

MJG wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:Tapscott won't be the coach next year. He didn't even want to do it this year.

That's the impression that I got when he was hired. Even if the team wanted him back, I don't think he'd be all that interested.

He will be going back to the front office.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#309 » by hands11 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 11:45 pm

I wasn't saying it would happen. What I said was it is one the table.

If EG asked him to do it again, I'm sure he would if it was part of a bigger plan.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#310 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Apr 3, 2009 11:59 pm

Grunfeld would have to be brain dead to ask Tapscott to coach next year.
bballboy44
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#311 » by bballboy44 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 2:23 am

Van Gundy would help the defense, but I like Avery the best. Knows how to fire up his players, and a solid coach. Maybe Kareem would like to at least assist. He could be a great help to JaVale. ;-)
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#312 » by Zerocious » Sat Apr 4, 2009 2:35 am

bballboy44 wrote:Van Gundy would help the defense, but I like Avery the best. Knows how to fire up his players, and a solid coach. Maybe Kareem would like to at least assist. He could be a great help to JaVale. ;-)

No, No and What?

van gundy and ernie openly hate eachother

avery and gilbert would not see eye to eye

why would kareem want to help the wizards??
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,633

Post#313 » by pancakes3 » Thu Apr 9, 2009 3:31 pm

Bullets -> Wizards
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#314 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Apr 9, 2009 3:35 pm

hands11 wrote:

I wasn't saying it would happen. What I said was it is one the table.

If EG asked him to do it again, I'm sure he would if it was part of a bigger plan.

If the choice before Tapscott was to coach or not work for the team, he'd probably coach. That won't be the choice because they're not going to ask him to coach next season.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#315 » by BigA » Thu Apr 9, 2009 3:41 pm

pancakes3 wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/58420/20090409/celtics_preparing_to_lose_tom_thibodeau/

who else is in the running?

Who else is likely to get fired, leading to open positions? The one where I've see speculation recently is the Nets job, but I haven't been following it real closely.

There's a possibility that the fallout from Thibodeau's hiring and quick exit a few years back might have left some hard feelings between him and Grunfeld.

I think Mike Lee said in a recent blog that Saunders and A. Johnson were the leading possibilities for the Wiz. Someone also mentioned a Mavs assistant being candidate. And according to SecretWeapon "they know who they are going to go after."
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#316 » by WizStorm » Thu Apr 9, 2009 10:27 pm

This guy seems pretty sure who the new coach will be...
Yahoo! Sports - Economy could limit coaching options

Washington Wizards: Saunders is the runaway favorite for the Wizards, who are determined to hire a winning, veteran coach for a win-now team. Johnson could be considered, but several sources say that Saunders is all but assured of a swift hiring once the regular season is done.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#317 » by fishercob » Thu Apr 9, 2009 10:47 pm

That analysis seems to fly in the face of today's story in the Boston Herald (that WireTap linked to) saying how Ainge knows Thibs is leaving, that he's going to have multiple suitors, etc.

Wojinarski doesn't even mention Thibs for a single vacancy. Highly dubious if you ask me.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#318 » by no D in Hibachi » Thu Apr 9, 2009 10:53 pm

I doubt that the Yahoo story has any legit support to back up their report, execpt maybe Ivans old clippings, but does he have legit sources either? Saunders is virtually the same as EJ. An offensive system coach who isn't a defensive mind. He is a good coach, but not for this group. The Wiz need a defensive oriented coach. Thibs would be the top choice if you ask me. If the Wiz approach him for the job and he declines he'd be foolish. Any coach passing up an offer for the Wiz job would be silly because, in spite the record, they still have a great core, top young talent, and a top-three pick. It's going to be an interesting off-season, which can't come soon enough.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#319 » by BigA » Thu Apr 9, 2009 11:32 pm

The story may or may not be right about the specifics of the Wizards situation, but if it's correct about the likely vacancies then there won't be that many jobs open, maybe as few as 2-3:

1. Sacramento
2. Washington
3. New Jersey (possibly)
4. Atlanta (possibly, if they don't do well in the playoffs)
5-6-7. OKC, Toronto, Minnesota likely to bring their interim coaches back

Thibodeau would have to be offered every available job in order to get "multiple offers," if that's correct.

Are there other jobs likely to come open that this article misses?

Also, I wouldn't be surprised either way with the Saunders thing. Might be correct, might be disinformation from Grunfeld.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#320 » by miller31time » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:14 am

Sacramento seems intent on going after EJ, and honestly, it's not a bad idea on their part. EJ is a great offensive mind and could probably turn Sacramento's piss-poor offense into a respectable one (or at least not embarrassingly bad). Their defense literally cannot get any worse (they're 30th in the league) so it's not like he'll kill them in that area.

For a rebuilding team that needs both structure and a learning environment, I think it's a good hire if they do decide to go in that direction.

And that would also take another team off of TT's option-list (though I, like everyone else here, have not heard any inclination that he has the Wizards on his list).

Return to Washington Wizards