ImageImageImageImageImage

GO CAPS!!!!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Re: GO CAPS!!!! 

Post#21 » by Halcyon » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:41 am

wow wtf?? I checked the box last when it was 4-1!
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#22 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:52 am

Too bad Theodore is absolutely horrible.

How good is this team that it's winning at this clip with 4 AHL defensemen and a goalie who should be playing in the ECHL? Can't wait till Poti, Green, Fedorov and Semin are back. Schultz and Erskine can stay "injured" for a bit more. I like Sean Collins, and Karl Alzner is a G.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#23 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:05 am

I'm not a hockey guy, but just looking at their roster - they've got a ton of fairly young 1st round picks. I'm guessing the future is pretty much... so bright they gotta wear shades.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,783

Post#24 » by Rafael122 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:19 am

Yeah, they gotta keep the core together though. IIRC, Semin has 1 year left on his deal. Backstrom is due for an extension.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#25 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:00 am

A lot of our contracts will be coming of the books when Semin and Backstrom will be due for new contracts. This team has enough cheap talent in the minors to replace guys like Kozlov and Nylander.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#26 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:55 am

woohoo! nice goal by ovie. C'mon caps!!!
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#27 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Nice that they retired Gartner's number... and probably a bit overdue. The Caps don't have too many HOFers.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#28 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:25 am

Chris Clark has taken an epic nose dive. He was a top line player once upon a time. Now he's not even worthy of playing on the 4th one.

Poor guy...
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#29 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:34 am

BTW:

Sidney Crosby: 49 points
Nick Backstrom: 41 points

Backis is King.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#30 » by fishercob » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:37 am

G0A, do you think Ovie gets the C next year? He's completely the heart and soul of this team. Welcome to the NHL CHris Bourque!
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#31 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:27 am

fishercob wrote:G0A, do you think Ovie gets the C next year? He's completely the heart and soul of this team. Welcome to the NHL CHris Bourque!

He's the most logical choice. Besides Fedorov this team doesn't have a veteran leader on the roster so it has to be a young gun. The only other possibility in the future is Karl Alzner since he has experience being the Captain of the Canada World Juniors team and his WHL team. Brooks Laich is another possibility.

As long as its not Clark. The only reason he still has a roster spot is because of the C on his jersey.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#32 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:29 am

fishercob wrote:G0A, do you think Ovie gets the C next year? He's completely the heart and soul of this team. Welcome to the NHL CHris Bourque!

I totally agree. It's so nice and rare when your best player is also your hardest, most committed and toughest.

His goals are breathtaking. It's like you expect him to pull off something impossible every shift... but, what I really love is when he goes out headhunting a player who just pulled a cheap shot on one of his teammates.

Man, guys with that kind of talent just don't do things like that very often.
In Rizzo we trust
lupin
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by lupin » Sun Jan 4, 2009 1:04 pm

The reigning MVP scored the winning goal and his 27th of the year against the Rangers. Still no All-Star game start.
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
Pass_The_Sticks
Sophomore

Post#34 » by Pass_The_Sticks » Sun Jan 4, 2009 5:17 pm

lupin wrote:The reigning MVP scored the winning goal and his 27th of the year against the Rangers. Still no All-Star game start.

Sweet, let him get some rest.
Capitals.Orioles.Ravens.Wizards
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#35 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Jan 4, 2009 9:09 pm

Hockey has the biggest homers in sports, especially the Canadiens. Their is nothing Ovechkin can do about this, he will not have many All Star starts in his career, maybe none. The Habs and Penguins fans are the biggest homers in pro sports.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#36 » by Scabs304 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 11:51 pm

You can't question the starts of Malk or Crosby they do have the 1st and 2nd point totals in the league. Also it is the Habs 100th year so there fans are just supporting the team which is how it should be even if you don't have a capable Forward to actually putin the game. Ovie probaly won't start to many All-Star games, but he still has a good chance to be MVP of them many times.
I am Scabs.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#37 » by fishercob » Mon Jan 5, 2009 12:05 am

G0A and other Caps afficionado's:

What do the Caps lines look like with everyone healthy? My bro and I were discussing this tonight, and we came up with Nylander and Clark (the fricking captain) as healthy scratches.

Ovi/Backstrom/Kozlov
Flash/Federov/Semin
Fehr/Steckel/Laich
Brash/Gordon/Bradley

That's not to mention Giroux or Bourque, who both seem to have shown themselves as credible NHL talents.

That depth is astonishing.
— Steve Martin
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#38 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Jan 5, 2009 12:26 am

Ovechkin/Backstrom/Kozlov
Laich/Fedorov/Semin
Fehr/Nylander/Flash

I wouldn't bench Nylander yet. He looked good with Fehr and Flash on his wings.

The fourth line is really interchangeable. It's should depend on the matchup. I like Steckel-Gordon-Bradley against defensive grinding teams. I'd go with Brash-Steckel-Bradley against the teams with goons like Philadelphia. Basically switch between Gordon and Brash. I don't see a role for Chris Clark on this team anymore. Everything he provided is given by better and younger players and he is not a good fit with anyone on the fourth line.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#39 » by fishercob » Mon Jan 5, 2009 12:47 am

Thanks for your analysis. Given full health, who would you play in goal?

And while you're at it, with the salary cap and all of this depth, what trade or two would you look to make if you were GMGM?
— Steve Martin
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#40 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Jan 5, 2009 1:42 am

Theodore has looked good in his last few starts. I think with both Theo and Johnson we get pretty much the same. I'd go with Theo in hopes that he plays good and we trade him away to make room for Varlamov.

Trade bait should be Nylander and Clark but a lot depends on the salary we take back. Clark, Nylander and Theodore all come of the books the season we hand out extensions to Semin, Flash and Backstrom. We need to keep salary take back in notice. I can't see a player on the block around the NHL that will help this team any more than what we have. I guess maybe trade Clark for a defenseman but we seem to have sufficient depth.

I'd look to trade Jeff Schultz for basically anything (mostly a draft pick) because hes a bust and he sucks. Hopefully some GM is under the misconception that he still has some potential. Don't understand why we handed out an extension to Erskine, now we're basically stuck with him for two seasons when we have better and cheaper players in Hershey.

Return to Washington Wizards