Official Draft Positioning Thread, aka: The Tank Cave

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,685

Re: Official Draft Positioning Thread, aka: The Tank Cave 

Post#201 » by penbeast0 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:24 am

pancakes3 wrote:first off, if Kobe can put on 20lbs, McGee certainly can do that, if not more.

A warning. When it comes out, steroid use in the NBA is going to make the steroid scandals in baseball look trivial. Or does anyone really think guys like Kobe add 20 pounds in a year or LeBron comes out of high school looking like Karl Malone without a bit of help. Maybe they do; they both have serious work ethics but if you look at the musculature of the average NBA player, I would guess at a juice rate well over 50% and probably closer to 80%+.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#202 » by spaceman_E » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:39 am

I was thinking that same thing recently Penbeast. Over all-star weekend ESPN classic was showing all the old all-star games and I was amazed at how tiny everyone was. I'm sure a lot of the players are on still legal, over the counter enhancers with a good amount on the really good stuff with a few still clean.
You don't win friends with salad.
eltacoman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#203 » by eltacoman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:02 am

dwight howard :o that dude is on somthing
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#204 » by sashae » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:22 pm

i would guess that hgh is probably more prevalent just because of the recovery properties, especially in such a high wear sport
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst

Post#205 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:29 pm

They're all on anavar (or variations thereof), which makes you stronger without putting on too much bulk.

I feel sorry for Juan Dixon the most, he's the one who flat out said steroids don't help basketball players and it's just not true. When it breaks he's gonna look real bad.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#206 » by JWizmentality » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:29 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:first off, if Kobe can put on 20lbs, McGee certainly can do that, if not more.

A warning. When it comes out, steroid use in the NBA is going to make the steroid scandals in baseball look trivial. Or does anyone really think guys like Kobe add 20 pounds in a year or LeBron comes out of high school looking like Karl Malone without a bit of help. Maybe they do; they both have serious work ethics but if you look at the musculature of the average NBA player, I would guess at a juice rate well over 50% and probably closer to 80%+.

I've been saying LeB!tch is on the juice for a while. I remember how he looked coming out of high school, and within the space of a year, he's looking like a freakin freight train.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,783

Post#207 » by Rafael122 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:31 am

Look at Corey Maggette. Did you see how jacked he got from Duke to now? Dude has muscles with their own zip codes.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#208 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:03 am

wasnt dwight howard sort of frail in frame out of high school.

He was like 6'10 6'11 240ish

Now he is like 280 or around that. I mean i dont know how that is possible.
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
lupin
Sixth Man

Post#209 » by lupin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:14 pm

Juan will only look bad if he's guilty of doping.
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#210 » by keynote » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:32 pm

Maggette and Howard both had frames where you could tell early on that they were going to pack on mass without adding much (if any) body fat. I don't think Howard in particular has ever been frail.

Besides, it's natural for a kid to put on some man-weight during his career. Jordan put on about 25-30 lbs of muscle during his career in CHI. Let's not forget that Mags drafted after his freshman year, and Dwight was still in his teens.

As for us: the Wizards haven't had too many Adonis-types in recent years. I remember Tom Hammonds had the reputation for being the cut-up muscle man for a while back in the day, but that's about it. As for our current squad, I'm actually fairly happy with the fitness level of the entire team, other than Blatche (and maybe Pecherov, who seems to spend all his time working on his shooting, and no time in the weight room).

I'm not worried about McGee getting in shape and adding muscle if he has guys like Haywood (who's stayed at his playing weight despite being injured) and Etan (say what you want, the guy clearly lifts a lot and stays in shape) as his example.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#211 » by Benjammin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:25 pm

lupin wrote:Juan will only look bad if he's guilty of doping.

If Juan is guilty of doping, he's also guilty of really poor doping. (Juan, if you're reading this, clearly I don't believe you have doped at all).
fifthstop
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#212 » by fifthstop » Thu Mar 5, 2009 3:47 am

keynote wrote:As for us: the Wizards haven't had too many Adonis-types in recent years. I remember Tom Hammonds had the reputation for being the cut-up muscle man for a while back in the day, but that's about it. As for our current squad, I'm actually fairly happy with the fitness level of the entire team, other than Blatche (and maybe Pecherov, who seems to spend all his time working on his shooting, and no time in the weight room).

I'm not worried about McGee getting in shape and adding muscle if he has guys like Haywood (who's stayed at his playing weight despite being injured) and Etan (say what you want, the guy clearly lifts a lot and stays in shape) as his example.

I think Big Ben fit the mold. Remember when he was here? No one talked about his b-ball skill (which wasn't much esp behind Webber, Howard, and Sheed) but EVERYONE talked about how cut he was. Him learning to marry the raw body with raw intensity is exactly what led to Etan's contract.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant

Post#213 » by Benjammin » Mon Mar 9, 2009 3:37 am

Finally a good tank night from our competition. OKC wins and a huge win from SAC at home against Denver. It's a race to the wire for ping pong balls. May the worst team win!
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,535

Post#214 » by closg00 » Mon Mar 9, 2009 9:51 am

Benjammin wrote:Finally a good tank night from our competition. OKC wins and a huge win from SAC at home against Denver. It's a race to the wire for ping pong balls. May the worst team win!

:clap: :nod:
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Wizards had one of their best nights of the year last night 

Post#215 » by Ji » Mon Mar 9, 2009 10:28 am

Thunder and the Kings both won!
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Re: Wizards had one of their best nights of the year last night 

Post#216 » by JWizmentality » Mon Mar 9, 2009 11:15 am

Dude...losing all the time and ending up with the worst record doesn't bode well for us at all.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant

Re: Wizards had one of their best nights of the year last night 

Post#217 » by Benjammin » Mon Mar 9, 2009 12:17 pm

This should be merged with the tank thread/draft positioning thread. IBTM. It was good to gain some ground without having to lose yet another game.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,383

Post#218 » by doclinkin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:28 pm

MJG wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:
mhd wrote:We needed to lose this game. Ugh, We have competititon for the worst record.

You do know that having the worst record gives us very little chance at landing Blake Griffin right? Our position is fine, and could be improved a bit.

If you were dying, and the doctor said that medicine X would give you a 25% chance to live and medicine Y an 18% chance, you wouldn't say "Eh, just grab whatever is on the lower shelf", right? Odds may be slim no matter where we land, but why not try for the best of those slim odds?

Or worse, a 4.3% chance. We're in a dogfight to the bottom with ~6 other teams. From where I sit we're looking at maybe 4 win-threat games in our last 18. Our current win% matches that. That narrowly dodges the 'worst wiz/bullets/packers/zephyrs ever' record, saving the players from infamy. But not bad.

Sacramento has 7 winnable games left (us included) but they're really really horrible and have no hope for the future other than the lottery. I see nobody catching them. The tiny slim ray of sunlight is that they are deep-ish in the frontcourt, and might see Lil' Ricky as a better prospect. On the other hand their talent evaluation staff is pretty good. They make solid picks on guys nobody else has paid much attention to. Not likely they pass on Blake. They might shop it for a minute just to see what they could get, but that opens it to everybody, I doubt we could offer a better deal, and I bet they'd still take Blake.

The Clippers are now ahead of us in the race to the bottom. I see five winnable games for them. But they're miserable. I've never seen such a collection of me-first shotjackers. Sterling just chewed out Al Thornton as a lazy/selfish player, but they've got Mr 'own-goal rebound' Ricky Davis. None of their players wants to be there. Best case scenario is that a few of them put up good games out of desperation to look tradeworthy, but they'd have to all string a few games together at the same time to make it work. No chance. I'm guessing they have us beat cold.

Memphis. They can't rebound, but the Gay/Mayo show (ew...) should keep them afloat. They're not desperate for that top pick either since they have a swarm of picks. More to the point, they are so far under the cap that they look to profit from other teams luxury-tax issues for years to come. They'd be trying to sell the team if there were a viable buyer, prob'ly, but until then they've stumbled into the same low-overhead business model that Don Sterling used to thrive on. Gather young talent, coast on whatever you have, give no one a real contract, make a little money even if you lose. They can't piggyback on someone else's arena, and don't have the spillover fanbase that the LA area can command (nor TV revenue etc) but still, low-overhead works fine as a start. They may remain where they are no radical tanking needed.

OKC. This squad has talent and is winning games they ain't supposed to. Young players learn, young talent learns to win. Any team with a solid Point has a chance to win. Their on-court talent won't deliberately drop games even when the frontoffice is trying to hold out the top players, encourage them to take their time. They've got a new fanbase and can afford to lose, because honestly what else is there to do in Oklahoma. Well, obviously watch Blake Griffin... They would love to have him. Still have to convince they youngsters to buy in to the loss plan. Especially since it means displacing solid teammate Jeff Green. On the other hand they have 3-5 winnable games. Tougher schedule than many of the bottom feeders.

Minny has 5 win-threat games. But they're miserable without Big Al. They'll drop like a stone. Didn't have a big-man even with Harrington. That's the saving prayer. I suspect they'd trade down a spot to take Thabeet, maybe deal Harrington/Love for a backcourt upgrade.

Golden State though as a dark horse only has 3 winnable games left. And fun fun fun chemistry issues, and Don Nelson doesn't even bother to coach anymore. They're a strong candidate for ultimate suck.

As for the Wiz. Rock and a hard place. We've been trying to keep Gilbert out, Haywood also knows the plan. But it would be nice to sell tickets for next year, also to see what we have left and recruit a decent coach. If we had a healthy lead in the tanking, I'd bet we would have seen Gilbert by now. But there's way too much competition down here in the sewer.

That said, to sell tix I suspect we'll see Gilbert with 10 games to play at the latest. Thing is we have two late-season tilts with Cleveland. I suspect the team would love to make a good showing there just to show the wink-wink to our local fans that if healthy we may have a prayer of success, so re-up your season ticket plans right now... I'd bet Gil will want to tune up before then, 5 games at least.

If the Cavs had clinched home court etc they might rest to let us win since most of our tanking competition is in the West and if we pick up Griff we may become an actual threat. But they're neck and neck with the Celts, so they'll help out and actually try to kick our ass both times. There's a loss to avenge anyway.

Still, as usual with Gil on court (or off) you never know what will happen, we won't win the Cavs games (prob'ly) but the tune-up games he might surprise a squad. Never ever can predict. What's dangerous here is that we have a prayer of hope even without that top pick, and thus may accidentally win a couple games, not care about the pingpong ball odds.

That gap between 25% and 4.3% is large. And all lottery teams have a chance to win those top 3 slots. Which means if all goes wrong and the wheels fall off this tank cart we could pick as late as tenth... And in this year especially the gap between number one and number ten is a bottomless chasm.

So. That's where we are.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,383

Post#219 » by doclinkin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Funny, the Post is running the same breakdown today:

Of the Wizards' remaining games, three are against teams in the Sorry Six. So they'll have to beat someone like 23-win Toronto, the 28-win Pacers or Bobcats, or catch the Pistons on one of their off nights. There are two more games against Cleveland, whom the Wizards have beaten and lost a 93-89 game they should have won, but by then the Cavs should be locked in on trying to get home-court advantage for the playoffs and won't be messing around.

Everybody's looking at the schedule to see how much of the year is left.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst

Post#220 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:58 pm

I would be surprised to see Gil. If he's still injured, you don't want to show that because other GMs will smell blood in the water. If he's fine, you don't want to show that either, that tips your hand as to what your strategy over the summer will be. You have info the other GMs don't. How can giving that info away help you? You can see in practice how Gil is doing and that's enough.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.

Return to Washington Wizards