ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Draft Positioning Thread, aka: The Tank Cave

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Re: Official Draft Positioning Thread, aka: The Tank Cave 

Post#181 » by queridiculo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:14 pm

Not sure where I read this, but it seems like we're on a historic pace. This the first time in the Wizards history that we were guaranteed a losing record before the All-Star game. Considering the awful teams that D.C has seen I find this quite remarkable.

Balls deep baby!
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,362

Post#182 » by Kanyewest » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:59 pm

nate33 wrote:
ZonkertheBrainless wrote:Why would Mcgee be the first person you think of when trying to get rid of this logjam? Why not Jamison or Blatche? Why not have a two headed monster of Haywood and Mcgee at center and Griffin and Blatche or Griffin and Jamison at the four?

My thinking was that with a PF and C tandem of Griffin and Haywood, we'd be better off with a combo PF/C like Blatche rather than pure C like McGee. (I don't think McGee can play PF.) Also, McGee presumably has greater trade value.

It's purely hypothetical, I know. The stars would have to align perfectly for us to be in the position to trade Jamison + McGee for a SG as good as Roy. It wasn't really a serious trade proposal, but rather an exercise in why I think Griffin would be more valuable than McGee.

You can't trade Jamison and McGee for a stud shooting guard (Kobe, Wade, Roy, Johnson) unless that GM is really moronic.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#183 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:36 am

Thought I would poke my head in here to see what craziness you kids are up to.

Come on Nate... No way you trade McGee.

The kid shows some very unique physical talent and he seems to be the type who will be a mature workaholic. Besides, you get Momma McGee in the package. She is going to be team mom for these knuckleheads. I think she is awesome. I want to hear that she grabbed Blatche by the ear because he did something stupid. I would LMAO.

McGee is going to develop a lot faster then Haywood did. He won't have Haywood physical presence next year but I bet he is ready to give some productive minutes. I also bet he comes back stronger.

Just out of curiously. How many people have even seen BG play and how many games ?
hands11
Banned User

Post#184 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:48 am

Kanyewest wrote:The Wizards have a 25% chance of getting the top pick but almost a 58% chance of getting one of the top 3 picks if they have the worst record in the league. Only two times since 1991 has the team with the most chances landed the top pick (Cleveland in 2003 and Orlando in 2004).

So even with the worst record you basically have a 50-50 chance. That's a flip of a coin. I wouldn't bank on those odds. This team needs to start winning as soon as it is able.

The reality of that is, it isn't likely to happen until we have a center. Blatche returning will help but that isn't the answer. McGee is simply to young and raw so that isn't likely to happen this year either.

That leaves getting someone in a trade or an outside chance that Blatche and a slightly more seasoned McGee along with DSong can pull it off. But the easy beat is that it will happen when Haywood steps back on the court.

Just add Haywood and this team would have a fighting chance again.
hands11
Banned User

Post#185 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:02 am

fishercob wrote:
nate33 wrote:
ZonkertheBrainless wrote:Why would Mcgee be the first person you think of when trying to get rid of this logjam? Why not Jamison or Blatche? Why not have a two headed monster of Haywood and Mcgee at center and Griffin and Blatche or Griffin and Jamison at the four?

My thinking was that with a PF and C tandem of Griffin and Haywood, we'd be better off with a combo PF/C like Blatche rather than pure C like McGee. (I don't think McGee can play PF.) Also, McGee presumably has greater trade value.

Nate I disagree on both counts. I think McGee can play PF -- he just haven't seen it tried yet b/c we don't have a true center other than Haywood to play him with. Over time, I think his skill set may, in fact, be more suited to PF than C.

I also think Blatche has more value. He's a better player right now and for the immediate foreseeable future, and he's locked up super cheap. McGee's cheap, but he's much greener than Blatche and not as ready to help a team win.

Absolutely. McGee will play some PF at some point. And, I believe Blatche will eventually play some SF. Two of my other predictions have already happened. That CB would play some SG and NY play some SF.

I think we will keep all of Haywood, McGee, and Blatche. While a Grif may or may not be the right player to add, I still think we need someone like Rasheed Wallace. CB is right to a degree. This team has enough raw talented kids. Actually, it's been that way for a while.

Now if we can only get OP to play like Vladimir Radmanovic. You can see that is the roll he was supposed to play but the kid can't even play himself onto an 8 man line up shot of big men.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#186 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:23 pm

hands11 wrote:Thought I would poke my head in here to see what craziness you kids are up to.

The kid shows some very unique physical talent and he seems to be the type who will be a mature workaholic. Besides, you get Momma McGee in the package. She is going to be team mom for these knuckleheads. I think she is awesome. I want to hear that she grabbed Blatche by the ear because he did something stupid. I would LMAO.

McGee is going to develop a lot faster then Haywood did. He won't have Haywood physical presence next year but I bet he is ready to give some productive minutes. I also bet he comes back stronger.

Just out of curiously. How many people have even seen BG play and how many games ?

I heard Pam being interviewed a week or so ago. She really wants to see her boy play WITH Hawyood - in a 2 back 3 up defense. Interesting.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
hands11
Banned User

Post#187 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:17 am

Yeep. I heard the same interview. She actually said as a PF. They kept teasing her about
how she is McGees mom and she kept correcting them saying, no... he is her son.

She has a great personality. I think having her as his mom is one of many of McGees assets.

She has mentioned in two interviews about how the men in the family bloom late and that he
hasn't even grown into his body yet. So I'm hoping for a modest 5-10 ( hopefully 10lbs ) of muscle to be added over the summer. I have no doubt the kid will put in the work and go to summer ball, etc.

He will come back next year with a move or two.

If this was next year and the same thing had happened to Haywood, we wouldn't have sucked as bad. I'm not counting that we would have been great but McGee would have at least stood a chance with Blatche and Mcgee a year older and a summer without EJ to work the team in a different direction on D. The way it happened this year made things just unrecoverable.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,643

Post#188 » by pancakes3 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:33 pm

first off, if Kobe can put on 20lbs, McGee certainly can do that, if not more.

second off, we're not disciplined enough to close out on shooters in man-to-man. there's no chance we can run a zone. A 3-2 zone would be even more disastrous because it would leave the lane wide open. Pick, roll, corner 3, repeat. Thanks mom, but this is the NBA. Lebron wouldn't even need a crab dribble to get to the cup facing a perimeter zone. I would like to see how McGee and Haywood work out on the court though. McGee's pogo help defense would be maximized.

third off, i came to this thread because i thought it was where we can bash our crappy team for their crappy players and their crappy play.

I submit:
http://www.82games.com/0809/FGTEAM2.HTM
http://www.82games.com/0809/FGTEAM7.HTM
as proof of our crappy shooting.

I submit:
http://www.82games.com/0809/BYPOS3.HTM
as proof of our forward positions being set despite our putrid record, and that with the return of arenas and haywood, our most pressing position of need is the SG position.

i submit:
http://www.82games.com/0809/ppairs0809.htm
as proof of the bias in the +/- stat.
Bullets -> Wizards
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#189 » by UrbanLegendMD » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 pm

If we trade the pick for nothing, I am gonna be seriously depressed. Even in this weak draft.
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,884

Post#190 » by Wizardspride » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:16 pm

UrbanLegendMD wrote:If we trade the pick for nothing, I am gonna be seriously depressed. Even in this weak draft.

If the Wiz actually get the 1st pick and trade it....I'm officially done as a fan of this team. :evil:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#191 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:04 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
UrbanLegendMD wrote:If we trade the pick for nothing, I am gonna be seriously depressed. Even in this weak draft.

If the Wiz actually get the 1st pick and trade it....I'm officially done as a fan of this team. :evil:

It wouldn't be the end of the world if we packaged it with a player or two to land a KG-type vet. Gil ain't getting any younger, and if we really want to win a championship I don't want to wait on more rugrats to develop. Only thing is, there aren't any KG's out there for the taking right now.

I'm all for Blake Griffin, just saying it wouldn't be the apocalypse of my Wizards fandom if we traded the pick...
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,884

Post#192 » by Wizardspride » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:20 pm

NbdyBeatsTheWiz wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

It wouldn't be the end of the world if we packaged it with a player or two to land a KG-type vet. Gil ain't getting any younger, and if we really want to win a championship I don't want to wait on more rugrats to develop. Only thing is, there aren't any KG's out there for the taking right now.

I'm all for Blake Griffin, just saying it wouldn't be the apocalypse of my Wizards fandom if we traded the pick...

The only vets that are possibly worth the 1st pick (and fill a need) are Amare and Bosh.

And frankly, I'm not sure that Griffin won't be better than either one of them.

Not to mention the fact that you won't have to pay Griffin a max contract. At least not for a while.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#193 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:46 pm

The only vets that are possibly worth the 1st pick (and fill a need) are Amare and Bosh.

And frankly, I'm not sure that Griffin won't be better than either one of them.

Not to mention the fact that you won't have to pay Griffin a max contract. At least not for a while.

I tend to agree with you, but again by the time Griffin gets to that all-NBA level will Arenas still be in his prime? I'm of the opinion Griffin could help us win soon, but maybe there's somebody out there that adds immediate juice.

Again, I'd like to keep the pick, but trading it isn't completely uncalled for.
6 months ago it didn't look like Bosh or Amare were going anywhere, who knows what peoples' statuses will be come this summer.
lupin
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#194 » by lupin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:00 am

Arenas would only be 30 or 31 on the outside. If his knee isn't already toast, he should still have plenty of life left in his legs at that age. Perhaps the window is smaller (if Griffin doesn't develop right away), but it wouldn't be non-existent.
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#195 » by spaceman_E » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:46 pm

I wish this was that adam sandler movie and I could fast forward to draft night, then to next season.
You don't win friends with salad.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#196 » by LyricalRico » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:51 am

Ruzious wrote:
hands11 wrote:Thought I would poke my head in here to see what craziness you kids are up to.

I heard Pam being interviewed a week or so ago. She really wants to see her boy play WITH Hawyood - in a 2 back 3 up defense. Interesting.

Wow, even McGee's mom is a better coach than EJ...
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#197 » by DaRealHibachi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:05 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Wow, even McGee's mom is a better coach than EJ...

Pick up the phone EG!!!
:beer: Magnumt
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#198 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:52 pm

No joke, I wonder if McGee's mom would make a good coach.
AAEXPRESS
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#199 » by AAEXPRESS » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:45 pm

We need to keep TankScott until the end of the season to ensure our draft position. They had me worried with their 2 game winning streak. Leave it to the Spurs to bring us back to reality.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#200 » by JWizmentality » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:57 pm

^^Yup, even in a different uniform. Roger got our backs! :wordyo:

Return to Washington Wizards