ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread VII: Visitors please post trades HERE!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Official Trade Thread VII: Visitors please post trades HERE! 

Post#1 » by LyricalRico » Mon Feb 9, 2009 6:52 pm

This is the seventh incarnation of the popular "Official Washington Wizards Trade Thread". If you've got a few hours to kill, here are the links to the previous episodes...

- Official Wizards Trade Thread
- Official Wizards Trade Thread: Part 2
- Official Wizards Trade Thread: Part 3
- Official Wizards Trade Thread: Part 4
- Official Wizards Trade Thread: Part 5
- Official Wizards Trade Thread: Part 6

We left off the last thread in the midst of a discussion of Jamison''s trade value around the league and whether or not he needs to be moved for this team to get better. The trade deadline is fast approaching. Will he stay? Or will he go?

Let the trading continue!
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,122

Re: Official Trade Thread VII: Visitors please post trades HERE! 

Post#2 » by Dat2U » Mon Feb 9, 2009 7:19 pm

Here were some of the latest topics discussed from the last trade thread along with the Jamison debate:

Elton Brand: He'd likely be available this offseason. Would he be worth the risk?

Morris Almond aka "CCJ's favorite son". Should the Wizards take a flier on him?

Caron Butler: Is he a keeper or should the Wizards sell high on his trade value if they can get something good in return?

Kwame Brown: Can he lead us to the promised land?
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#3 » by Soup's Uncle » Mon Feb 9, 2009 7:49 pm

Kwame = Perfection
F Street = Wall Street
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#4 » by JWizmentality » Mon Feb 9, 2009 8:37 pm

Booooooo, the last thread never reached 100. Rico, you spit on tradition!
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#5 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Mon Feb 9, 2009 8:56 pm

No Trading Butler

No Trading for Brand, all his injuries seem to be season ending and seems he isnt the fastest healer

I still hope EG looks at a Jamison for Amare deal.

IMO Jamison would be a good fit with Nash and the suns. Yeah he doesnt play D but Amare isnt the best at that part of the game as well.
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,122

Post#6 » by Dat2U » Mon Feb 9, 2009 9:17 pm

I wanted to pull this from the last trade thread b/c of the point made about Jamison & his potential suitors:

He'd only be a good fit on certain teams. Teams that want to win now (and might see Jamison as the final piece), teams with a definite need for a starter at either F spot (b/c I don't see Jamison being content with coming off the bench) & teams with the ability to cover up his defensive shortcomings. You try to come up with many teams that fit that scenario. I can only think of two. Cleveland & Houston. Maybe Phoenix if we include Blatche/McGee or/and our pick as part of a package for Amare but I doubt Phoenix bites. I'd rule out young teams like Portland & Chicago b/c of Jamison's age.

As far as actual trade value, I seriously doubt we could get much in return for Jamison. A relatively productive player with major flaws & similar long term contract? Yes. An expiring contract in either 09 or 10? Possibly. An all-star type or a young stud with all-star potential? Absolutely not.

Of course then I read this:

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... cker_room/

Hmm, Houston seems like a damn good candidate to me. McGrady who's clearly lost a bit but will have a $23 mil expiring next season & Artest (who may be responsible for alot of the bad chemistry but has an expiring this season) are the best candidates.

Jamison for Artest works straight up.

Jamison, Songaila & Stevenson works for McGrady.

Either trade helps out Houston in the locker room & on the court. They run some Princeton sets and both Jamison & Songaila would pair up nicely with Yao in the front court. It hurts us in that Artest would probably never play a minute for us or McGrady would likely whine a bit but it does help out our cap & luxury tax situation down the road.

Then there's this:

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... six_weeks/

Cavs are now missing West & Pavs and Gibson just isn't the same player he was in previous seasons. They still have Wally to spread the floor but honestly he's not a good fit with LeBron b/c they both are natural SFs and one of them has to guard either quicker or bigger players. Jamison would a real good fit with LeBron at the F spot and Brown's defensive schemes (which take a page from the San Antonio playbook) could do a good job of hiding Jamison relatively well. Wally's expiring contract helps out greatly and having them add in JJ Hickson while they take Songaila would be a fair price they'd pay for an upgrade, not to mention Songaila gives them a pick & pop big off the bench.

We might hand Cleveland the East but who cares. It helps the Wizards long term.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by LyricalRico » Mon Feb 9, 2009 9:34 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Booooooo, the last thread never reached 100. Rico, you spit on tradition!

Yeah, I thought about that. But I felt like it was a good place to put a break in the action and start fresh. Maybe a new thread will give us some new ideas with the deadline coming up.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by LyricalRico » Mon Feb 9, 2009 9:59 pm

Dat2U wrote:Jamison, Songaila & Stevenson works for McGrady.

Man, that deal would be a godsend IMO. It clears out all of our questionable if not bad (in the case of Songaila and Stevenson) longterm deals while returning a guy with big enough name recognition for the organization to pull it off politically. And if TMac can actually stay healthy next year, we could still be a playoff team.

After the cap benefits, the second best part of the deal would be McGrady potentially shutting himself down for the rest of the year after a trade like this, which would help us from the standpoint of opening up minutes for the young players without having to fight a battle with Jamison in the media.

The biggest problem with that trade would be the luxury tax. As proposed by Dat the Wiz would be taking back $2.6M more in salary than they give up, meaning we'd pay the luxury tax this summer. Also, McGrady makes $2.5M more than those guys combined next season so we'd be over $10M beyond the tax next summer. Here's an alternate that's tax neutral for both teams:

Wiz trade: Jamison, Etan, Songaila, and Stevenson
Rockets trade: McGrady, Hayes, and Head
TRADE ID 4989561

The Wiz actually give up about $500k more than they take in so they can even sign somebody for a pro-rated minimum deal to fill a roster spot and still wouldn't pay the tax this year. Assuming renounce Head over the summer we'd also shave about $4M off our 2010 luxury tax liablity. And then of course our 2011 problems are completely solved.

The Rockets are already slightly over the luxury tax line and this would put them even further over because of Etan's trade kicker. But the benefits to their locker room and their title hopes would outweigh the cost IMO.
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:08 pm

I posted that mcgrady deal before (Stevenson, songaila, AJ for McGrady and Dorsey)

but would this be too unrealistic

During draft time IF IF IF we get the # 1 pick we deal that plus Blatche, Thomas, pech and James plus our 2nd OR our 2010 1st for Bosh + Jawai

Would that be too unrealistic. Toronto is gonna probably be a lottery team, so the #1 pick (Griffin) and another lottery pick would not be bad in terms of their perspective.

Say it is our 2010 1st (unprotected)
So with our 2nd rounder we go for a wing type player. I really like T-Will from Louisville.

Haywood/McGee/Jawai
Bosh/Jawai/Dorsey
Butler/McGuire
McGrady/Young/T-Will
Arenas/Critt/FA (cheap vet)

Like Rico said, if McGrady is somewhat healthy we could be a good playoff contender, add my "i dont know if it is realistic" bosh trade, and we could be a deep playoff to title contender.

Thoughts....
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by LyricalRico » Mon Feb 9, 2009 11:11 pm

^ I don't think we need to include a pick in a Jamison-for-McGrady swap because we're not trying to get TMac - it's Houston that would be trying to get Jamison to improve their situation. Yes they do take on more salary but that's what they have to give up to improve their team. They would realistically be able to compete with the Spurs and Lakers in the playoffs after a deal like this.
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Mon Feb 9, 2009 11:32 pm

I didnt add a pick to the Jamison for McGrady

I added another deal to get Bosh which i dont know if it is realistic, thats why i was asking for thoughts

Thats all if we get the number 1 pick.
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

ray ray
Sixth Man
And1: 762

Post#12 » by ray ray » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:20 am

How about a trade with the Suns.

Suns trade:
Amare
Alando Tucker

Wizards trade:
Antawn Jamison
Mike James
2009 1st round pick not protected
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#13 » by miller31time » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:22 am

^^^ Seriously? That's it? Done deal.

I would be willing to throw in either Blatche or McGee if that's what it takes, but I'd obviously prefer your trade.

:D
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#14 » by JWizmentality » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:27 am

ray ray wrote:How about a trade with the Suns.

Suns trade:
Amare
Alando Tucker

Wizards trade:
Antawn Jamison
Mike James
2009 1st round pick not protected

Please tell me you're a representative from Wiz management and just gauging fan reaction...in which case

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAH BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY! :rock: :rocking: :guitar:
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 370

Post#15 » by Silvie Lysandra » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:11 am

we overpay

we don't need to give up the #1, Blatche + Young + expirings + future picks is good enough.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#16 » by miller31time » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:23 am

Chaos Revenant wrote:we overpay

we don't need to give up the #1, Blatche + Young + expirings + future picks is good enough.

You're right if we look at it from a talent standpoint, but the problem is that other teams can and will field much, much better offers.

If you want Amare, you need to overpay. If you're not willing to overpay, you're not getting Amare (which, I'm sure, a lot would be fine with).
ray ray
Sixth Man
And1: 762

Post#17 » by ray ray » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:56 am

The SUNS would want Jamison and Young or Crittenton with Mike and your 1st pick unprotected. Why? Because they are going to want to draft Blake Griffin. Mike James is an expiring contract and Jamison would replace Amare at the four position in the meantime.

Suns Lineup:
Steve Nash
Jason Richardson
Grant Hill
Antawn Jamison
Shaq

Bench:
Leandro Barbosa
Matt Barnes
Jarvi Crittiton or Nick Young
Loius Amudson
**2009 possibility** Blake Griffin

Wizards starting lineup:**possible**
Gilbert Arenas
Deshawn Stevenson
Caron Butler
Amare Stoudimare
Andrea Blatche
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 370

Post#18 » by Silvie Lysandra » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:59 am

miller31time wrote:
Chaos Revenant wrote:we overpay

You're right if we look at it from a talent standpoint, but the problem is that other teams can and will field much, much better offers.

If you want Amare, you need to overpay. If you're not willing to overpay, you're not getting Amare (which, I'm sure, a lot would be fine with).

Right now the Suns are getting stuff like Hickson + Wally for Amare, or Marbury + Lee for Amare.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#19 » by LyricalRico » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:18 am

I don't have a problem giving up Jamison+Blatche+Young. I'm cooling on giving up the pick, though. That's still a darn good package and about as good as they can expect from anybody else because Blatche and Young have as much value as a mid-first round pick, maybe even a late lottery pick. No cap relief but solid value and a deal that gets them immediately closer to a title IMO.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#20 » by truwizfan4evr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:30 am

i cant stand yall **** wizards fan am i the only loyal fan we have i dont think we should trade butler a month ago yall wanted him gone yall some confuse fans im wiz number 1 fan like it or not
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal

Return to Washington Wizards