ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread VII: Visitors please post trades HERE!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Re: Official Trade Thread VII: Visitors please post trades HERE! 

Post#1141 » by LyricalRico » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:56 pm

TiKusDom wrote:Taking Stevenson's or any other salary dump of choice by the Wizards will not be a problem for the Raptors as long as they receive Rubio. Bosh for Jamision+ Rubio + Salary dump of Washington's choice is a done deal for me .

Interesting. What does that mean for Jose Calderon? He's going to be making around $9-10M per year for the next 4 years. Way too much for a backup and he's also too small to slide to SG. Unless you're thinking that Rubio will take a while to develop (and if that's the case, why the heck are you trading Bosh to get him) or that somebody will take that contract of their hands (good luck), this puts Toronto in a tough situation.

If Toronto is going to trade Bosh, I think they'll want two things: a legit center and a star caliber swingman that can get his own shot. Keeping with the example of the Wiz having the second pick, something like Caron Butler and the rights to Thabeet (plus whatever filler is needed) for Bosh would be more up their alley than Jamison/Rubio IMO.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,122

Post#1142 » by Dat2U » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:20 pm

no D in Hibachi wrote:Nate, maybe he'd trade Jamison for the right pieces, but by no means do I see him actively shopping Jamison or even bringing Jamison up in trade discussions with other teams. Therefore the only possible trades that EG has for Jamison are the ones he's presented with. I don't see EG beating down the door for a Jamison for Bosh deal and I don't think that a deal like that would happen unless he was the aggressor, Toronto would need to be convinced, or perhaps persuaded, that they need Jamison because I know they don't think that is the case as we speak. As it is, I see EG sitting back and if something is dropped on him like Jamison for Wally he'll just brush it off.

Agree 100%. Jamison is fimly entrenched as a part of this team's core. Unlike me, they're probably in love with his leadership and feel his contributions on and off the court are too valuable to part with. EG might deal him if he was offered a big time upgrade but at Jamison's age and with his rep on D, that possibilites of that are slim and none. And slim walked out the door over a year ago when Gasol was dealt for an expiring and prospects.

I've even heard the words "untouchable" used in the past when referring to Jamison. Arenas might be the face of the organization but obviously the team believes that Jamison is its backbone.

I fully expect Jamison to retire a Wizard.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#1143 » by no D in Hibachi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:38 pm

I fully expect Jamison to retire a Wizard and how sick is it going to be when they retire his jersey? I watched Chris Webber get his number retired by the Kings a few months ago and it was so melancholy because they said the phrase, "even though we didn't win a championship" over and over and over. Jamison's jersey hanging ceremony will be, "even though I didn't lead this team past the second round of the playoffs..."
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1144 » by LyricalRico » Wed Apr 1, 2009 11:56 pm

Here's a deal that helps our outside shooting and our cap a little as well.

Wizards trade: Stevenson, Songaila, and Pecherov
Hornets trade: R.Butler and M.Peterson
TRADE ID 5047773

Mo Pete has a trade kicker so we actually take back a little more in the short term but he'll make over $2M less than Songaila+Stevenson in 2010-11. It may not sound like much but that could be the difference between letting one (or both) of Haywood/McGuire walk and keeping them. In the short term, Rasual Butler helps our long-range shooting. Peterson for Stevenson is a wash.

New Orleans does it to get a veteran backup for David West who can also play some minutes in the middle. Thoughts?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,420

Post#1145 » by nate33 » Thu Apr 2, 2009 1:14 am

LyricalRico wrote:Here's a deal that helps our outside shooting and our cap a little as well.

Wizards trade: Stevenson, Songaila, and Pecherov
Hornets trade: R.Butler and M.Peterson
TRADE ID 5047773

Mo Pete has a trade kicker so we actually take back a little more in the short term but he'll make over $2M less than Songaila+Stevenson in 2010-11. It may not sound like much but that could be the difference between letting one (or both) of Haywood/McGuire walk and keeping them. In the short term, Rasual Butler helps our long-range shooting. Peterson for Stevenson is a wash.

New Orleans does it to get a veteran backup for David West who can also play some minutes in the middle. Thoughts?

Hmmm. With the emergence of DMac, I'm not sure if we need another swing man like Butler. We might be better off just keeping Songaila as depth in the front court. I guess it depends on whether we acquire a big man in the draft (or via trade). If we do, then we'll have a log jam up front. Any deal that alleviates the log jam while providing some long term salary relief is certainly worth exploring.

I'd rather try and trade DSong to Orlando for Cook though.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1146 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 3, 2009 3:09 am

Another offseason idea:

Wiz trade: Stevenson, Blatche, and Pesh
Blazers trade: Webster and 2nd round pick

The Wiz pick up a solid 2/3 who can defend and hit the 3pth shot. They also help their luxury tax situation.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1147 » by nate33 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 3:19 am

LyricalRico wrote:Another offseason idea:

The Wiz pick up a solid 2/3 who can defend and hit the 3pth shot. They also help their luxury tax situation.

:nonono:
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#1148 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:34 am

Nate, why dont you like that deal?
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1149 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 3, 2009 1:10 pm

^ Yeah, nate - why? It's essentially trading Blatche for Webster and a second, while also unloading Stevenson and Pesh. In Webster we get a 6th man who can play SG/SF, defend, and hit the outside shot. If we turn around and move Nick Young for a future first we'd solve our luxury tax problems and have a solid rotation.

Haywood/McGee/Etan
Jamison/Songaila
Butler/Webster
McGuire/Webster
Arenas/James/Critt

That's a darn good team.
JordanL
Sixth Man
And1: 267

Post#1150 » by JordanL » Fri Apr 3, 2009 7:41 pm

A Wiz fan proposed this trade and Blazer fans have pretty much decided there's no way we could pass:

Songaila + Stevenson + Wiz Pick (#2-5)

for

TPE (capspace) + Por Pick (#21-24) + Raef Lafrenz (S&T) [$1.8 million/1 year] + $1.8 million cash (to pay for Lafrenz)
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#1151 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Apr 3, 2009 8:12 pm

JordanL wrote:A Wiz fan proposed this trade and Blazer fans have pretty much decided there's no way we could pass:

for

TPE (capspace) + Por Pick (#21-24) + Raef Lafrenz (S&T) [$1.8 million/1 year] + $1.8 million cash (to pay for Lafrenz)

I can see why there's no way Portland could pass on this. But there's nothing in it for the Wizards.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1152 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 3, 2009 8:32 pm

JordanL wrote:A Wiz fan proposed this trade and Blazer fans have pretty much decided there's no way we could pass:

for

Whoever the Wiz fan was, he must have been thinking about Raef's current expiring, because that makes very little sense. Take out Raef, and put in Rudy, and then you'd have the basis for a discussion.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,035

Post#1153 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Apr 3, 2009 8:46 pm

I'm with nate on this one. No.

Blatche and Pecherov are both essentially seven footers with perimeter skills. One's 22 and the other's 23. What they both have over Webster is size. Pecherov is a whole lot better than what he's shown with the Wizards is my gut feeling. I still see Mehmet Okur with him. Blatche is signed long-term for cheap. This deal gives him away for basically nothing.

I think the Wizards can do better than this.

Webster's a guy who even if he were healthy the Blazers really can't even play right now due to Batum, Outlaw, and Fernandez. Get him on the cheap.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1154 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:04 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

I'm with nate on this one. No.

Blatche and Pecherov are both essentially seven footers with perimeter skills. One's 22 and the other's 23. What they both have over Webster is size. Pecherov is a whole lot better than what he's shown with the Wizards is my gut feeling. I still see Mehmet Okur with him. Blatche is signed long-term for cheap. This deal gives him away for basically nothing.

I think the Wizards can do better than this.

Webster's a guy who even if he were healthy the Blazers really can't even play right now due to Batum, Outlaw, and Fernandez. Get him on the cheap.

So the fact that Pesh is buried on our bench doesn't get to play has no impact on his value...but Webster being in the same situation in Portland means he doesn't have any value? Not sure you can have it both ways.

We also clearly disagree on Blatche's value/potential. And even if we did agree, Webster is a solid defender who IIRC averaged double figures as a starter on a very competitive team last year. Add in the fact that we're dumping Stevenson and also getting one of the high seconds that Portland has been stockpiling and I don't think you can say this deal give Blatche away "for basically nothing".

On a much broader theme, I don't think we can continue to stockpile young guys that we clearly aren't going to play. Add in another lotto pick this summer and we've got a glut of young players (especially in the frontcourt). Obviously they all have some level of talent but none of that does us any good if they keep racking up DNP-CDs. I just feel like the time has come for us to decide on who we're going to keep and use the rest to balance the roster to start making playoff runs. Otherwise we'll still be debating on who to keep/trade for years on end while the team continues to lack forward progress.

You want to keep Blatche? Fine. You want to turn Pesh into Mehmet Okur? Go ahead. You want to groom McGee to be a force? Great. You want to draft Blake Griffin? I'm all for that. Here's the problem - you can't do them all. Not only are there are only so many minutes to go around, but you can't afford to be a talent pack-rat at one or two positions when the team has other holes to fill. At some point you have to make some decisions and I think that the time for that has come for this team.
RealGM

Post#1155 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:22 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ Yeah, nate - why? It's essentially trading Blatche for Webster and a second, while also unloading Stevenson and Pesh. In Webster we get a 6th man who can play SG/SF, defend, and hit the outside shot. If we turn around and move Nick Young for a future first we'd solve our luxury tax problems and have a solid rotation.

Haywood/McGee/Etan
Jamison/Songaila
Butler/Webster
McGuire/Webster
Arenas/James/Critt

That's a darn good team.

LR, I'm going to propose a hypothetical situation. Suppose the Wizards hired Laimbeer as coach. He becomes OPEC's coach. Finds a 7 footer with three point skills who's currently rebounding at about the highest rate on the team.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... eol01.html

per-36 Pecherov's averaging 15.7 points and 9.2 rebounds and is 35% from 3pt in limited minutes. Hasn't played with Gil or with Brendan or with Jamison much at all.

Is that a guy to unload while on a rookie deal? I don't think so. Trade for an equivalent young player? Yes. Unload? No.

IMO even if the Wizards luck out and draft Griffin I think they should hold on to Pecherov. EG saw talent in him when he drafted him. Stick with him.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1156 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:58 pm

LyricalRico wrote:So the fact that Pesh is buried on our bench doesn't get to play has no impact on his value...but Webster being in the same situation in Portland means he doesn't have any value? Not sure you can have it both ways.

We also clearly disagree on Blatche's value/potential. And even if we did agree, Webster is a solid defender who IIRC averaged double figures as a starter on a very competitive team last year. Add in the fact that we're dumping Stevenson and also getting one of the high seconds that Portland has been stockpiling and I don't think you can say this deal give Blatche away "for basically nothing".

On a much broader theme, I don't think we can continue to stockpile young guys that we clearly aren't going to play. Add in another lotto pick this summer and we've got a glut of young players (especially in the frontcourt). Obviously they all have some level of talent but none of that does us any good if they keep racking up DNP-CDs. I just feel like the time has come for us to decide on who we're going to keep and use the rest to balance the roster to start making playoff runs. Otherwise we'll still be debating on who to keep/trade for years on end while the team continues to lack forward progress.

You want to keep Blatche? Fine. You want to turn Pesh into Mehmet Okur? Go ahead. You want to groom McGee to be a force? Great. You want to draft Blake Griffin? I'm all for that. Here's the problem - you can't do them all. Not only are there are only so many minutes to go around, but you can't afford to be a talent pack-rat at one or two positions when the team has other holes to fill. At some point you have to make some decisions and I think that the time for that has come for this team.

You're right that I can't have it both ways.

How about Pecherov for Webster? Possibly, Blatche for Webster.

I really wasn't posting with the thought of drafting Griffin in mind (odds are against it). If the Wizards did draft Griffin, I'd want the Wizards to immediately just buy out Etan. Then trade one of the young bigs because there'd be no room for them.

However, in the back of my mind, I'd be thinking the Wizards would be better off moving Jamison or Caron because Griffin will own the PF spot, eventually. The young guys have no problem coming off the bench but neither of the two "all stars" would relish that role.

My thinking is that 22-yr old sevenfooters with PERs around 15 or 16 shouldn't be traded away until the Wizards have a new coach and know who they're drafting.

My problem with Webster is I don't see him taking anybody's minutes between Caron and Dominic.

I could see trading Nick of Webster ... maybe.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1157 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 3, 2009 10:20 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:However, in the back of my mind, I'd be thinking the Wizards would be better off moving Jamison or Caron because Griffin will own the PF spot, eventually. The young guys have no problem coming off the bench but neither of the two "all stars" would relish that role.

My thinking is that 22-yr old sevenfooters with PERs around 15 or 16 shouldn't be traded away until the Wizards have a new coach and know who they're drafting.

I agree in principle. I just look at this team's track record and it tells me that none of the vets are going anywhere. That's the assumption that I'm operating on and it's clearly reflected in my trade ideas. I'm just trying to be practical, is all.

Hey, I'd love to do it your way in a perfect world. But here on "planet Wiz" and things don't quite work the way we'd want them to. :wink:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1158 » by nate33 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 11:55 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ Yeah, nate - why? It's essentially trading Blatche for Webster and a second, while also unloading Stevenson and Pesh. In Webster we get a 6th man who can play SG/SF, defend, and hit the outside shot. If we turn around and move Nick Young for a future first we'd solve our luxury tax problems and have a solid rotation.

Haywood/McGee/Etan
Jamison/Songaila
Butler/Webster
McGuire/Webster
Arenas/James/Critt

That's a darn good team.

Because Webster, although better than Stevenson, isn't significantly better than Nick Young or Dominic McGuire. He's just another mediocre swing man who really won't improve the rotation. All you've done is traded Stevenson's bad contract for Webster's longer, bad contract; except you've lost Blatche and Pecherov in the process.

I understand your point about the logjam of young bigs. If we draft another big man, then clearly, one of Blatche/Songaila/Jamison must go. I can see the logic in sending away Blatche and packaging Stevenson with him, but I'd prefer to get back salary relief, not another mediocre player.
JordanL
Sixth Man
And1: 267

Post#1159 » by JordanL » Sat Apr 4, 2009 12:33 am

TheSecretWeapon wrote:

for

I can see why there's no way Portland could pass on this. But there's nothing in it for the Wizards.

I don't understand how Raef's current contract would be better. In this situation 7/8 of the entire trade comes off the cap immediately (abotu $7 million), instead of in a year by trading for an expiring.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1160 » by LyricalRico » Sat Apr 4, 2009 1:57 pm

^ Raef's deal is about to expire therefore he cannot be traded, so the discussion about his current contract is moot. We also don't want or need him to be included in any deal for any reason. If you want the 2-5 pick, here's a deal I would accept:

Wiz trade: Stevenson, Pecherov, pick 2-5
Blazers trade: Fernandez, 2010 first

It breaks down to our lotto pick for Fernandez and a future first, plus giving you Pecherov as compensation for taking on Stevenson. I think it's very fair value for Portland.

From a Wiz perspective, it solves our luxury tax problems, gives us a better SG prospect, and gets us another pick in 2010 when we'll need cheap depth after re-signing Haywood and McGuire.

Haywood/Blatche/McGee
Jamison/Songaila
Butler/McGuire
Fernandez/Young
Arenas/James/Critt

:clap:

Return to Washington Wizards