ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread VII: Visitors please post trades HERE!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

eltacoman
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Official Trade Thread VII: Visitors please post trades HERE! 

Post#1441 » by eltacoman » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:34 pm

i think oden needs a change of scenery... he looks so depressed with portlands young team .... i think portland should trade him while his value with them is high ..... i think he is going to be Nasty player with a new team .... think of Mcgee PF next to Oden C if both players live up to their potential we could become a dynasty for 10 years centered around those two giants .... i say JUST DO IT :D
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1442 » by hands11 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:09 am

eltacoman wrote:if we get the 2nd

Ricky Rubio + Haywood
for
Greg Oden :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/index
Is that LeBron's daddy ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7HzkEcKITo&NR=1
Now that's your Mutombo v2.0

But why would Portland let him loose. That kid is Mr Nasty. I'd take him over Blake any day.
7-0 260 and looks at the post position and foot work. This kid is ready to play in the NBA.

Lets face it people. The league goes in cycles and we are on a big man pg cycle right now.

I think we are on the verge of seeing some really great basket ball again. The league has been reloading with talent.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1443 » by hands11 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:17 am

eltacoman wrote:i think oden needs a change of scenery... he looks so depressed with portlands young team .... i think portland should trade him while his value with them is high ..... i think he is going to be Nasty player with a new team .... think of Mcgee PF next to Oden C if both players live up to their potential we could become a dynasty for 10 years centered around those two giants .... i say JUST DO IT :D

Thats what I was talking about. I can see McGee at PF along side other combos also.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#1444 » by LyricalRico » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:23 am

* Sigh *

I thought we killed the "McGee at PF" talk. Do we have to actually see it fail (like Butler at SG) for people to finally drop it?

:nonono:
VictorPage44
Senior
And1: 1

Post#1445 » by VictorPage44 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:21 am

While I wouldn't touch pancakes' golden state trade, I think that Turiaf is a much better player than no d in hibachi gives him credit for. Turiaf is WAAAAAAAAAAYY better than etan thomas and it isnt even close. Etan has a very low skill level and he has blinders on in a tunnel when he gets the ball in the post. Turiaf not only brings the same, if not better, energy as Etan Thomas but his offensive game is much more developed (can hit an 18 footer and is a great passer), and he also has the edge in shot-blocking. He's got a 2.4/1 assist to turnover ratio and he's a PF/C.

I think his relatively low PT #s were determined by the combo of GS' tendancy to use small lineups (meaning less PT for all their bigs), and multiple other quality big men on the team (randolph, biedrins). Which brings me to my next point that trading for turiaf may not be an altogether bad or unrealistic idea considering that they have other options in GS and he isnt on a desirable contract. I'd give up some young talent to sign turiaf because he has the game to play alongside either Haywood or Jamison down low. Also has a great attitude so imo he's a PERFECT role player.

stevenson or songalia + Young or Blatche + 2009 2nd for turiaf (not sure if it works salary wise cuz i didnt look at turiaf's actual contract #s but it shouldnt be too far off.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1446 » by hands11 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:26 am

LyricalRico wrote:* Sigh *

I thought we killed the "McGee at PF" talk. Do we have to actually see it fail (like Butler at SG) for people to finally drop it?

:nonono:

We ?
Who is this we I keep hearing people talk about ?

As for CB at SG. I hardly call a career year in pts in a season when more then a handful of posters said he didn't even care most the season ..... a failed experiment.

Actually, the real experiment didn't even get to happen because the WIz didn't have Haywood or Gil or any other viable center or pg.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1447 » by fishercob » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:18 pm

So assuming we're picking 3-5, when we talk about trading the pick the names we're coming up with ar Hinrich, Barbosa, Mike Miller, possibly Stephen Jackson.

I'm not advocating this, but just throwing it out there. Is there any wisdom to using the pick to unload some salary deadweight and then using the MLE this summer?

Are there any FA's who stand to be attainable for the MLE who would be good fits and reasonable values? Varajeo, Josh CHildress, Drew Gooden, Rashad McCants?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,576

Post#1448 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:21 pm

fishercob wrote:So assuming we're picking 3-5, when we talk about trading the pick the names we're coming up with ar Hinrich, Barbosa, Mike Miller, possibly Stephen Jackson.

I'm not advocating this, but just throwing it out there. Is there any wisdom to using the pick to unload some salary deadweight and then using the MLE this summer?

Are there any FA's who stand to be attainable for the MLE who would be good fits and reasonable values? Varajeo, Josh CHildress, Drew Gooden, Rashad McCants?

We'd have to save an awful lot of money to be is position to sign an MLE free agent.

Just to remind folks, I'll post my salary spreadsheet again. This time, I'm assuming that we end up with the #3 pick, and that we resign Haywood for $8M a year and that we resign DMac for $3M a year. I'm also assuming little change in the salary cap this year and a mild decline in the following year:

Code: Select all

Player           08/09  09/10  10/11  11/12
Arenas,Gilbert   14.65  16.19  17.73  19.27
Jamison,Antawn    9.93  11.65  13.36  15.08
Butler,Caron      9.25  10.03  10.81    - 
Thomas,Etan       6.86   7.35    -      - 
James,Mike        6.20   6.40    -      - 
Haywood,Brendan   5.50   6.00   8.00   8.00
Songaila,Darius   4.26   4.55   4.84    - 
Stevenson,Desha   3.62   3.89   4.15    - 
Blatche,Andray    2.74   3.00   3.26   3.52
Young,Nick        1.60   1.75   2.69    - 
Pecherov,Olesky   1.45   1.55    -      - 
McGee,JaVale      1.39   1.50   1.60   2.46
Javaris Critten   1.38   1.48   2.28    - 
McGuire,Dominic   0.71   0.83   3.00   3.00
2009 pick (#3)     -     3.34   3.59   3.84
2010 pick (#23)    -      -     1.20   1.29
2011 pick (#23)    -      -      -     1.24

Total Salary     69.54  79.49  76.52  57.71
Salary Cap       58.68  58.00  56.00  55.20
Luxury Tax       71.15  70.76  68.32  67.34
Money Available   1.61  -8.73  -8.20   9.64

So right now, we project to be $8M or so over the cap in each of the next two years, and we'll exceed the cap in 2011 if we resign Butler and one of Young/Crittenton.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1449 » by LyricalRico » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:27 pm

fishercob wrote:I'm not advocating this, but just throwing it out there. Is there any wisdom to using the pick to unload some salary deadweight and then using the MLE this summer?

Oh I'm all for that. I remember proposing our lotto pick and Songaila+Stevenson+Etan for OKC's expirings. (I was flamed, of course.) But now that were down to trading the pick for guys making more than the MLE, wouldn't using our pick to unload salary and then signing a guy be the same thing?

I would take guys like Ariza and Childress over Mike Miller and Kirk Hinrich. There will also be guys like Rodney Carney, Quentin Ross, Keith Bogans, and Ime Udoka on the cheaper end of the scale.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,437

Post#1450 » by doclinkin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:04 pm

nate33 wrote: I'm also assuming little change in the salary cap this year and a mild decline in the following year

It was interesting to read that this year's attendance was Top 3 all-time. Much as he irks me the development of LeBron James may prove him to be be one of those 'rising tide lifts all boats' sort of players. Jordan-like. Boston and LA being relevant doesn't hurt either as their dynasties have a long-tailed fanbase.

Season ticket renewals might take a hit next year, but still we may even see a short term bump in the lux tax based on this year's revenue.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,576

Post#1451 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Here's one:

Washington trades: Stevenson + Crittenton
OKC trades: Earl Watson

Why for Washington. We unload the last year of Stevenson's contract while also acquiring a more experienced backup PG who can stay in front of the league's ultraquick PG's (Ford, Parker, etc.).

Why for OKC. They get a... Hmmm... Nevermind. I can't think of a good reason for them to do it. Crittenton isn't much of an upgrade at young backup PG over Livingston.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1452 » by LyricalRico » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:34 pm

^ LOL @ nate being honest that nobody wants our leftovers (although Critt is on his way to becoming more than that). Could we work something out if we could find a third team interested in Nick Collison?
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#1453 » by likwitdesi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:21 pm

nate your watson trade does make sense for okc. their biggest need is SG and they could use a role playing defender there. i think they would like stevenson's veteran presence on that team in the starting lineup.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1454 » by LyricalRico » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:43 pm

likwitdesi wrote:nate your watson trade does make sense for okc. their biggest need is SG and they could use a role playing defender there. i think they would like stevenson's veteran presence on that team in the starting lineup.

If all they want is a veteran role playing SG they can get the for the minimum any time they want. No need to tie themselves to two more years at 3/4 the MLE. Maybe if you send them Young instead of Critt they would feel taking on Stevenson's salary would be worth it. Stevenson+Young for Watson+2nd? That might not be a bad deal be bad if we were also able to move Mike James for something useful.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#1455 » by likwitdesi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:32 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
likwitdesi wrote:nate your watson trade does make sense for okc. their biggest need is SG and they could use a role playing defender there. i think they would like stevenson's veteran presence on that team in the starting lineup.

If all they want is a veteran role playing SG they can get the for the minimum any time they want. No need to tie themselves to two more years at 3/4 the MLE. Maybe if you send them Young instead of Critt they would feel taking on Stevenson's salary would be worth it. Stevenson+Young for Watson+2nd? That might not be a bad deal be bad if we were also able to move Mike James for something useful.

That's bull. The only decent free agent SG out there is Bonzi Wells and I doubt he is going to resign for the minimum. The Dahntay Jones's of the world are tough to find and, even then, Stevenson is easily a better player than Jones. I think they would love to have Stevenson and Critt (where Critt could compete with Livingston to be the complement next to Westbrook).
fishercob
RealGM

Post#1456 » by fishercob » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:19 pm

What about Mike Dunleavy?

He's had some injury problems and he's overpaid. But his deal only runs through 10-11, unlike some of other other name's we've discussed.

He'd be the perfect backup swingman (SG and SF) with his shooting and scoring abilities.

Stevenson, Songaila and the pick (if #3-5) for Dunleavy and #13?

He was devastating in 07-08 with at TS% .605 and a nice PER Of 17.2. We'd still have Indy's pick (Dajuan Blair? Curry? Lawson?) or we could package it with other assets for another piece.
— Steve Martin
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#1457 » by MJG » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:19 am

fishercob wrote:What about Mike Dunleavy?

He's had some injury problems and he's overpaid. But his deal only runs through 10-11, unlike some of other other name's we've discussed.

He'd be the perfect backup swingman (SG and SF) with his shooting and scoring abilities.

Stevenson, Songaila and the pick (if #3-5) for Dunleavy and #13?

He was devastating in 07-08 with at TS% .605 and a nice PER Of 17.2. We'd still have Indy's pick (Dajuan Blair? Curry? Lawson?) or we could package it with other assets for another piece.

I read a week or two ago that the injury that ended his season is a lot more serious than originally let on and might keep him out for at least the rest of 2009 (ie, the first several months of next season). He's been pretty durable up to this year, so it might not be a big deal on a logical level, but it's pretty tough to picture trading for a heavily paid injured guy.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,176

Post#1458 » by Dat2U » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:38 am

There's just gotta be better trade options out there than Mike Miller, Kirk Hinrich, Mike Dunleavy Jr or Anthony Morrow.

That's a mediocre bunch of veterans if I ever saw one. I know this is a weak draft. I've said whoever is picking 3-8 is definitely not getting their money's worth, but I'd rather reach on a prospect than trade for a run-of-the-mill veteran who won't make a real or substantive difference in the win column. Mike Miller isn't taking us to the promised land, neither is Kirk Hinrich. Heck, none of these guys mentioned take this team to another level.

I'd rather have Tyreke Evans or Steph Curry before I'd jump at any one of those guys. I want to get rid of DeBrick & DSong more than anyone else, but considering both only have two years left on their contract (and Etan & James are both in their last year) it's not worth sacrificing a high lottery pick just to get rid of them. I've suggested just cutting Etan & James but frankly we could cut DeBrick to if need be. Two years at $4 mil or so isn't horrific. DSong can be useful as a reserve PF. That just seems like a better idea than auctioning off a high lottery pick for what amounts to pennies on the dollar or trading for an overpriced & overrated veteran.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1459 » by LyricalRico » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:40 am

^ Nah, pass on Dunleavy and his career threatening knee injury. But here's an idea if we want to involve Indy:

Etan+Stevenson+pick(3-5) for Daniels+Diener+13. We dump a useless player and swap Stevenson's contract for our new starting SG. By my calculations we trim about $4M of cap this year and $6M next year (that's $20M in salary plus luxury tax savings). We can also sell our 2nd round pick to help our luxury tax bill.

Haywood/Blatche
Jamison/Songaila
Butler/McGuire
M.Daniels/Young
Arenas/James

Deep Bench - McGee, Pecherov, Critt, Diener, #13

Ready to compete this year and young guys are waiting in the wings to step in next year when the contracts of Daniels and James are up.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#1460 » by fishercob » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:56 am

Dat2U wrote:There's just gotta be better trade options out there than Mike Miller, Kirk Hinrich, Mike Dunleavy Jr or Anthony Morrow.

That's a mediocre bunch of veterans if I ever saw one. I know this is a weak draft. I've said whoever is picking 3-8 is definitely not getting their money's worth, but I'd rather reach on a prospect than trade for a run-of-the-mill veteran who won't make a real or substantive difference in the win column. Mike Miller isn't taking us to the promised land, neither is Kirk Hinrich. Heck, none of these guys mentioned take this team to another level.

I'd rather have Tyreke Evans or Steph Curry before I'd jump at any one of those guys. I want to get rid of DeBrick & DSong more than anyone else, but considering both only have two years left on their contract (and Etan & James are both in their last year) it's not worth sacrificing a high lottery pick just to get rid of them. I've suggested just cutting Etan & James but frankly we could cut DeBrick to if need be. Two years at $4 mil or so isn't horrific. DSong can be useful as a reserve PF. That just seems like a better idea than auctioning off a high lottery pick for what amounts to pennies on the dollar or trading for an overpriced & overrated veteran.

If we're not picking in the top 2, I'm not convinced that there will be better trade options than the likes of Hinrich, Miller, Barbosa, Dunleavy, etc., especially if we're not including expirings that help teams get under the cap next summer.

And while I see your point, and I hate to pass on a guy that could blossom into a star in a few years, you have to think that EG is in "win now" mode with his offseason acquisitions. Thing is, where we differ most is I see all these guys (or most of them) as a major upgrade to the Wiz rotation. They're not all-stars, but they're proven, steady guys who bring something that's been lacking. The Wiz need some reliable depth.
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards