ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread VII: Visitors please post trades HERE!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Official Trade Thread VII: Visitors please post trades HERE! 

Post#41 » by fishercob » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:35 pm

mhd wrote:I understand the move from a talent perspective, but why shed two smaller expirings for a bigger one? Either Songaila or Stevenson should be moved in that deal.

It's one step closer to a "Big Trade" working from a roster perspective. Say the Wiz go after Bosh with a combo of expirings and Young players. The trade is that much more likley to work if it's a 4 for 1 than if it's 5 for 1.

OTOH, if Ernie is unable to land a high salaried guy who is indeed worth his contract, he'sll have lost the option of trading one of the smaller expirings and a young guy or a pick for a decent player.

So if Ernie acquires Hughes to trade him for Bosh, then great. But from a talent/salary perspective, it makes little sense, unless we unload Stevenson. And say what you want about Deshawn, but he's a much better value than Hughes.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,456

Post#42 » by mhd » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:50 pm

fishercob wrote:
mhd wrote:I understand the move from a talent perspective, but why shed two smaller expirings for a bigger one? Either Songaila or Stevenson should be moved in that deal.

It's one step closer to a "Big Trade" working from a roster perspective. Say the Wiz go after Bosh with a combo of expirings and Young players. The trade is that much more likley to work if it's a 4 for 1 than if it's 5 for 1.

OTOH, if Ernie is unable to land a high salaried guy who is indeed worth his contract, he'sll have lost the option of trading one of the smaller expirings and a young guy or a pick for a decent player.

So if Ernie acquires Hughes to trade him for Bosh, then great. But from a talent/salary perspective, it makes little sense, unless we unload Stevenson. And say what you want about Deshawn, but he's a much better value than Hughes.

I disagree. Hughes is much more talented. He's an excellent rebounder as a SG. Something we lack in the backcourt. He can play passable as a PG. He's fit in before.
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#43 » by jimij » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:59 pm

I'd do that trade in a minute. Hughes is overpaid but if his deal ends at the same time as James and Thomas's then I'm all for it. He's a good fit with Gil and then we don't have to put up with DS in the starting lineup ever again (except for the month and a half next year when Larry's hurt). Plus, even though he's had success with Gil in the past, I'm not sure DS will be able to provide that in the future given the condition of his back.

I still think NY's best role for the forseeable future is as a 6th man so I'd love a quality SG to put next to Gil, especially one who has played well with him in the past.

Of course the best part of the deal is that I'd never have to see Mike James in a Wiz uniform ever again. I know some folks would like to retain his smaller ending contract, but as far as I'm concerned, good riddance.
mhd
General Manager

Post#44 » by mhd » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:01 pm

With so many 2010 expirings on the market (everyt team seems to have at least two 2010 expirings), maybe EG sees that those expirings won't land anything, so he might as well get a talent upgrade.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#45 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:12 pm

sashae wrote:From ESPN Insider:

The quest to trade Larry Hughes continues and the most promising destination still appears to be Washington for forward Etan Thomas and guard Mike James.
Thomas is injured, but that hardly matters. James, a 6-4 scoring guard, might be a personality risk. He's played on eight teams in the past six seasons. If that wasn't enough of a red flag, his family appeared on a recent episode of "Supernanny." Let's just say if James takes coaching advice in basketball as well as he took parenting advice from Supernanny, the Bulls would be in for some headaches. -- Arlington Heights Daily Herald

Ironic - our best info comes from the Arlington Heights Daily Herald. But... no doubt the guys from the Washington Post and Washington Times are working hard. :party:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,813

Post#46 » by Rafael122 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:12 pm

Ivan Carter gets out scooped again!
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
AAEXPRESS
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#47 » by AAEXPRESS » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:13 pm

Any move the Wiz make has to be with becoming a legit contender next year in mind. I like T-mac but he too frail and has been in and out of the lineup this year. The only way I would consider that deal if T-Macs deal was expiring at the end of the season. I would trade for Amare in a heart beat as he is a legit power forward and a Big 3 of Gil, Juice, and Amarie would be very tough in the east depending on who is coaching them of course.

As for Bosh he would be a good pick up too, I would love to get him a Wiz uniform, but I think we would have to really gut the roster to get him. There will be a lot of teams trying to vy for his services. I imagine the same for Amare as well. If you want him, you have to go out and get him because I think if we wait someone will scoop him up.

Do us proud EG, do us proud. I think we also need a decent starting shooting guard. I do not think NY1 or DeShawn are starting caliber guards. We need to upgrade that spot too.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 383

Post#48 » by Benjammin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:18 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Ivan Carter gets out scooped again!

I think Ivan is all about maintaining a good relationship with the players, coaches, and front office staff. I can understand as a beat reporter why that would be important. But frankly he doesn't strike me to be the caliber of previous Boulez/Wiz beat writers like David Aldridge, Ric Bucher, J.A. Adande, etc. He seems satisfied putting out mediocre stuff that doesn't ruffle any feathers. I can't think of a single thing he has broken or anything hard hitting he has offered.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#49 » by JWizmentality » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:25 pm

mhd wrote:Tmac would be a perfect fit next to Arenas and Butler.

Yeah, on the IR list.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#50 » by fishercob » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:02 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
mhd wrote:Tmac would be a perfect fit next to Arenas and Butler.

Yeah, on the IR list.

:rofl:
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Tiago
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#51 » by Tiago » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:25 pm

jimij wrote:I'd do that trade in a minute. Hughes is overpaid but if his deal ends at the same time as James and Thomas's then I'm all for it. He's a good fit with Gil and then we don't have to put up with DS in the starting lineup ever again (except for the month and a half next year when Larry's hurt). Plus, even though he's had success with Gil in the past, I'm not sure DS will be able to provide that in the future given the condition of his back.

I would do that trade too, but I see a problem, with DS, Young and Hughes, and only 2 spots at SG...one of them would have to be traded.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,361

Post#52 » by Kanyewest » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:46 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Ivan Carter gets out scooped again!

From October 2008

This not the first time the Wizards were close to a trade. Sources tell me that the team was on the verge of a deal that would have sent Daniels, Etan Thomas and another player (maybe Dee Brown) to Chicago in October for Larry Hughes but the deal was put off when Hughes (shocker) injured his shoulder.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizard ... _ends.html
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#53 » by spaceman_E » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Larry really is an ideal fit on this team. He can play spot minutes at the point, he will get BH easy buckets on drive and dish plays, and is a solid defender and rebounder. The only snags I see in a Gil, Larry, Caron lineup is that AJ becomes that much more valuable since he is our only spot up shooter. Since our 1-3 would all be risk-taking, gamble on steals defenders the new coach will have to really hammer into these guys when to gamble. When they have 2 7 footers(choice of AB, BH, JM) waiting at the rim to erase their mistakes and NOT when Jamison is playing.

This would also free us up to deal Stevenson for a pure shooter at the PG or wing position on a similar contract. Something like Steve and Pech for Kapono.
You don't win friends with salad.
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#54 » by jimij » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Tiago wrote: not sure DS will be able to provide that in the future given the condition of his back.

I would do that trade too, but I see a problem, with DS, Young and Hughes, and only 2 spots at SG...one of them would have to be traded.[/quote]

I see no problem. Sit DS, try and trade him and if that fails, eventually buy him out or cut him. Keep Young off the bench and play LH as the starter.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#55 » by Soup's Uncle » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:57 pm

I'd def like to have Larry Hughes back. He's a good ball player when healthy. I also think it'll make Gilbert a better ball player (defender). When Hughes was on the team, he and Gilbert got a ton of steals. Sure they got burned as well, but they were really getting after it on D.
F Street = Wall Street
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#56 » by miller31time » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:01 pm

My opinion on a few Wiz-related trade subjects....

McGrady - No. He's played 12 seasons now and has lost absolutely every ounce of athleticism he once had. The man couldn't even get up high enough to make a dunk the other night. He came up way short and it was embarrassing. He's lost it and the only value he'd have would be as an expiring contract. But Houston will not treat him like an expiring but rather a star who just happens to be an expiring. We won't be in contention for trading for T-Mac. Plus, if I were McGrady, I'd fear for my life coming to the Wizards, knowing our med staff.

EDIT: Here's the McGrady video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKggO62YPs4

Amare - Yes. I don't care what it takes to get him. If he's available and we are in the running, we do everything in our power to put the best package together, whether that's overpaying or not. Amare is young and has superstar talent. He'd also be coming to the East where he'd be even more dominant. Put Amare next to Arenas and Butler and you have a trio that will be contending for the title for the next 7+ years. In that span, you can surround them with talent, even though they might not have it right away.

Hughes - Yes. As others have said, having one (singular) 10+ million dollar expiring contract is MUCH more valuable than two 5+ million dollar contracts. With superstars on the market and us with a potentially incredible draft pick, plus young players with high upside, we get that much closer to a big-name acquisition. Plus, even if we don't, Hughes might find himself rejuvenated on our team. Likely? No, but possible.
mhd
General Manager

Post#57 » by mhd » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:56 pm

Ivan squahes the Hughes rumor:

"It's the season for trade rumors but I'm pretty confident that you won't see a Mike James and Etan Thomas for Larry Hughes deal as rumored out of Chicago. The Wiz wanted Hughes in a swap for Thomas and Antonio Daniels earlier in the season and a deal almost happened but it fell apart when Hughes hurt his shoulder. Also, the Wiz were still hoping to salvage their season and be competitive. Different world now."
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,813

Post#58 » by Rafael122 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:55 am

OK, so he denies it, but then the last sentence says the Wiz were trying to compete and now they aren't. So does that mean Ernie is open to trading or?

It's easy to sit in a chair and say "no, this is not happening." But what separates Ivan and other beat writers is that he doesn't go that extra mile to find anything. He didn't even know Daniels was even being shopped around and only reported the trade when it was done. We got all our info from a Memphis newspaper, lol.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,176

Post#59 » by Dat2U » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:12 am

Here's one thing i don't quite understand after reading some of the posts here.

Why is it trading for Hughes is a no-brainer but trading for McGrady is a bad idea?

Regardless of how many steps McGrady has lost this year, I'd take McGrady over Hughes 10 times out of 10. There's no doubt in my mind that McGrady is still the more impactful player. Also, as banged up as McGrady has been the past few years, Hughes is even more injury prone.

Finally, my main reason for wanting a McGrady deal is the cap savings. With Hughes, your looking at dealing two 2010 expirings in Mike James & Etan Thomas for one 2010 expiring. There's no financial benefit in making that deal. With McGrady, under the deal proposed on the first page of the thread, we'd be dealing Jamison, Songaila & Stevenson. All long term deals. McGrady's deal expires in 2010. That's $23 million dollars in cap relief. Not to mention we'd still have James & Thomas expirings coming off the cap as well.

Having Hughes in our lineup doesn't make much of a difference IMO. He's not the player he was when he was in DC before and he doesn't make us a contender. McGrady may not make much of a difference either but by making that deal, we'd clear cap space, gain financial flexibility and let the youngin's play (i.e. clear playing time for Blatche & McGee by moving Jamison & Songaila). With a move like this, we'd be on pace to rebuild by having a young, athletic and relatively inexpensive core. By spending only when there's a high reward for doing so (like trading & resigning the likes of Chris Bosh), we'd place ourselves in great position for a consistent and long run deep into the playoffs year after year.

I suppose EG is more on the side of many of the posters here. Lets retain continuity, keep our so-called and oh-so-important veteran leadership together while making piecemeal acquistions here and there (like Larry Hughes or a Darius Songaila type) and see if we can get back to having two or three playoff games a year at the Verizon Center.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#60 » by miller31time » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:34 am

Dat2U wrote:Here's one thing i don't quite understand after reading some of the posts here.

Why is it trading for Hughes is a no-brainer but trading for McGrady is a bad idea?

Regardless of how many steps McGrady has lost this year, I'd take McGrady over Hughes 10 times out of 10. There's no doubt in my mind that McGrady is still the more impactful player. Also, as banged up as McGrady has been the past few years, Hughes is even more injury prone.

Finally, my main reason for wanting a McGrady deal is the cap savings. With Hughes, your looking at dealing two 2010 expirings in Mike James & Etan Thomas for one 2010 expiring. There's no financial benefit in making that deal. With McGrady, under the deal proposed on the first page of the thread, we'd be dealing Jamison, Songaila & Stevenson. All long term deals. McGrady's deal expires in 2010. That's $23 million dollars in cap relief. Not to mention we'd still have James & Thomas expirings coming off the cap as well.

Having Hughes in our lineup doesn't make much of a difference IMO. He's not the player he was when he was in DC before and he doesn't make us a contender. McGrady may not make much of a difference either but by making that deal, we'd clear cap space, gain financial flexibility and let the youngin's play (i.e. clear playing time for Blatche & McGee by moving Jamison & Songaila). With a move like this, we'd be on pace to rebuild by having a young, athletic and relatively inexpensive core. By spending only when there's a high reward for doing so (like trading & resigning the likes of Chris Bosh), we'd place ourselves in great position for a consistent and long run deep into the playoffs year after year.

I suppose EG is more on the side of many of the posters here. Lets retain continuity, keep our so-called and oh-so-important veteran leadership together while making piecemeal acquistions here and there (like Larry Hughes or a Darius Songaila type) and see if we can get back to having two or three playoff games a year at the Verizon Center.

I'm not so much against it as I am unwilling to see it as a possibility. If Houston was going to trade McGrady, they aren't going to treat him as they would treat, say, Raef LaFrentz. McGrady still has value to go along with his contract so Houston is going to try and get as much as they can for him, which in my opinion, means more than Antawn Jamison and his bloated contract.

Return to Washington Wizards