ImageImageImageImageImage

I hate this season (formerly Tapscott/Vets thread)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,122

Re: Tapscott and the Veterans are what I HATE about this team! 

Post#21 » by Dat2U » Mon Mar 9, 2009 7:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:They're so worried about "protecting" the young players instead of giving them responsibility and letting them develop... They might as well put them in condoms out there.

I think Blatche might go for that, heck he wouldn't even need to change clothes in the locker room after the game. Just go straight from the court to Thomas Circle.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#22 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:38 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
AAEXPRESS wrote:What I find Ironic is that Tapscott was originally the Director of Player Development, but now that he has a chance to develop them in the game he wont play them. The most puzzling of all is Opec, because I hear he is a gym rat and works very hard. At what point does that translate into minutes. At this point NY1, DMAC, Javaris, Blatche, McGhee, and Opec should be logging a lot of minutes while AJ, CB, and DSong should have their minutes limited. It appears that our management does not have a clue as to what to do. I could actually tolerate watching them lose if the Young Guns were playing. What we are doing now is unwatchable.

+1

It would be a joy to watch this team if they allowed Jamison and Butler to shut it down the last 20 or so games, and for Songaila to play about 15 minutes a game in a mentor role to Pecherov especially. I'm convinced this team would be JUST AS GOOD with Darius or Pecherov at PF than they are with Antawn forcing shots and Caron playing hurt/disheartened at times.

(By just as good, I mean the team's no worse than the .250 or .300 win rate team it is. So what if they lose? More ping pong balls).

Let Young and Blatche play SF. Let McGee and Blatche play C. Guarantee the team plays BETTER basketball without Jamison or Butler at this point because both guys stop the ball and force shots. Each thinks he's an all star and neither plays good defense.

The young guys would be a joy to watch WITHOUT Tapscott coaching them down.

That would be some fun ball to watch.

McGee, OP, Blatche, DMAC, Critter

or

OP, McGee, Blatche, DMAC, Critter

I would like to see them give OP some minutes. It is amazing we have seen so little of him this year.

Only thing I can figure is they don't want to let the horses out of the barn so they are playing them in similar minutes to what they will be playing when everyone is healthy. OP will be lucky to be on the active 12 next year. Kind of like our own development league just for OP. Then in another year he is ready to be a solid bench player. Just a guess at what they may be thinking. As much as people just like get to pisses, there probably is some logic behind this.

Keeping AJs and CBs numbers up just makes them better trade material latter. Maybe they are thinking like that.
AAEXPRESS
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#23 » by AAEXPRESS » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:59 pm

Once again Ed Tapscott shows how poor a job he is doing developing his young players look at the boxscore from last night and look at how the minutes were doled out. Something needs to be done.

Washington Wizards (15-49)
Field Goals Rebounds

D.McGuire F 29:53
A.Jamison F 37:55
D.Songaila C 29:20
C.Butler G 40:03
J.Crittenton G 27:08
N.Young 15:36
A.Blatche 24:00
J.McGee 11:51
J.Dixon 24:14
B.Haywood DND - Right Wrist Surgery
M.James DND - Flu
O.Pecherov DNP - Coach's Decision

Jamison and Butler play at least 37 minutes apiece. Butler actually played 40. Songalia played almost 30 minutes. It is criminal for Songalia to play more minutes then Blatche (24:00). It is a crime that McGhee only played 11:51 minutes. As a matter of fact it's an act of treason. Dixon played 24 minutes and Nick Young only played 15. Dont get me wrong Juan Dixon is one of my favorite players but somehow I do not think he is in our future plans, so with that being said Nick Young needs to get more run. I have no issue with Crittenden's minutes or D-Mac's. But Young has to get more run , at least 20-25 minutes a night. And, I will keep saying it, what does Opec have to do to get off the bench? He should be getting 10-20 minutes a night. I am really pissed that he is not getting any burn. We really need to see what we have in him.

Even though Mike James was sick, how is it he got bumped up so high in the playing rotation. He is OK, but he's not that good.

Am I the only one incensed by this craziness. EJ had something against B-Wood and I think Tapscott has an issue with OPEC. I remember him making a comment saying the league has not place for 7 ft jump shooters. What the heck is Nowitski? Tapscott need to be run out of town.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#24 » by MJG » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:58 pm

Michael Lee is with you!
Look, this season is over. Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison should not be playing 40 minutes for a 15-win team. And, at this stage of the season, it should be about Young and McGee, not Darius Songaila and Mike James. Songaila and James are what they are and they aren't going to improve. Young and McGee can still become players.

Coaches love to rely on veterans because they are safe. When a seasoned vet is on the floor, you rarely look disorganized because a veteran figures out how to get it done. But these veterans really aren't getting it done. They might be consistent, but so are the losses.

Remember a few years ago, when Boston decided to ride the roller coaster of Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins, Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes and Sebastian Telfair? It was quite ugly and resulted in the Boston Celtics finishing with the second worst record in the NBA. But in the process of player their youngsters, the Celtics were able to develop the pieces it needed to acquire Kevin Garnett, and Rondo and Perkins were experienced enough to play alongside him without a difficult transition.

I don't think that fans would be too upset if the Wizards decided to give Young and McGee the green light over the final 17 games. Right now, the Wizards should be focused on making sure that their draft picks start to play their way out of rough patches. If they prove that they aren't part of the future -- given the utmost freedom -- maybe you can convince another team to take a chance on them. If they figure it out, in the long run, the team and its young players will be better for it.
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#25 » by jimij » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:10 pm

cwb3 wrote:I don't know if the young players are actually getting traumatized by this season. . .but I know I am totally traumatized. I don't even watch the first 8 minutes of quarters 1 and 3 anymore because I just don't want to see what passes for a starting unit. .

I thought I was the only one who did that....
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#26 » by BigA » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:38 pm

jimij wrote:
cwb3 wrote:I don't know if the young players are actually getting traumatized by this season. . .but I know I am totally traumatized. I don't even watch the first 8 minutes of quarters 1 and 3 anymore because I just don't want to see what passes for a starting unit. .

I thought I was the only one who did that....

The third quarter last night was unbelievably ugly.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 445

Post#27 » by Tyrone Messby » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:42 pm

Tapscott is an idiot. There is no getting around that fact.

Has it been brought to everyone's attention yet that the Wizards are on the verge of NBA history? They stand a very good chance at becoming the first team to go winless in their division in a season. 0-13, with 3 games left against the Heat, Magic, and Bobcats.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,036

Post#28 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:46 pm

MJG wrote:Michael Lee is with you!
Look, this season is over. Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison should not be playing 40 minutes for a 15-win team. And, at this stage of the season, it should be about Young and McGee, not Darius Songaila and Mike James. Songaila and James are what they are and they aren't going to improve. Young and McGee can still become players.

Coaches love to rely on veterans because they are safe. When a seasoned vet is on the floor, you rarely look disorganized because a veteran figures out how to get it done. But these veterans really aren't getting it done. They might be consistent, but so are the losses.

Remember a few years ago, when Boston decided to ride the roller coaster of Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins, Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes and Sebastian Telfair? It was quite ugly and resulted in the Boston Celtics finishing with the second worst record in the NBA. But in the process of player their youngsters, the Celtics were able to develop the pieces it needed to acquire Kevin Garnett, and Rondo and Perkins were experienced enough to play alongside him without a difficult transition.

I don't think that fans would be too upset if the Wizards decided to give Young and McGee the green light over the final 17 games. Right now, the Wizards should be focused on making sure that their draft picks start to play their way out of rough patches. If they prove that they aren't part of the future -- given the utmost freedom -- maybe you can convince another team to take a chance on them. If they figure it out, in the long run, the team and its young players will be better for it.

Thanks for posting this, MJG. Particularly after yet another loss where Jamison and Butler played 44 and 43 minutes.

Thing about Lee mentioning Boston's year of riding the young guys is look at how each of Rondo and Perkins played last season for the Celtics. In Rondo's second season he was ready to lead that team from the PG position all the way to the title, playing heavy minutes. Perkins started all year, too, on a championship team. The experience of struggling through a tough season didn't hurt them at all when the Cs upgraded their talent with KG and Allen. Doc Rivers wasn't fired. Ainge ends up looking like a genius.

Conversely, Tapscott's hounding guys at shootaround, jerking young guys off the court for the first mistake they make while tolerating bad defense from shotjacking veterans who stay on the court, and PROTECTING (???) McGee from making mistakes? WTF

The Wizards look ABSOLUTELY STUPID (was going to say myopic, but that's too nice) for not playing McGee with Blatche and moreso for playing Jamison and Butler so many minutes. Young also needs the green light to score.
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,122

Post#29 » by Dat2U » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:03 pm

The worst thing about this is that this is apparently coming from the top. Tapscott is simply EG's flunky. It's EG who's approving of how the roster is being handled.

I don't think it's just us fans asking questions, its observers from all around the league. Everytime I watch League Pass and listen to the opposing announcers, they wonder the same thing. Many beat writers have commented on the questionable reasoning behind not playing the young guys. It makes sense to no one except those in the organization.
He Hate Me
Starter
And1: 2

Post#30 » by He Hate Me » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:48 pm

Agreed on about 50% on whats being said here. OPEC is a lost cause, he won't be in the league when his current contract expires.

While we aren't getting as much McGee as we'd like we're getting PLENTY of D-Mac which is quite surprising to me. At the beginning of the season I was almost sure that Dom was going to get lost on the roster, not starting and playing 25+.

Totally agree on Young1 and Blatche needing more time on the court together. Mike James and Songalia need to get lost.

The over-playing of Jamison and Butler seem to me a pretty clear indication that one will be traded in the offseason depending on where our pick is. I can see us trading up/down and packaging one of those 2 with the pick. In this draft you better have a top 2 pick. If you don't trade it. Thabeet and Griffen are the only players worth getting. JCN probably ruined the chances of us drafting Rubio.
I'm just trying to get into heaven, it's not like I'm gonna run for Jesus.
RealGM

Post#31 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:48 pm

Tyrone Messby wrote:Tapscott is an idiot. There is no getting around that fact.

Has it been brought to everyone's attention yet that the Wizards are on the verge of NBA history? They stand a very good chance at becoming the first team to go winless in their division in a season. 0-13, with 3 games left against the Heat, Magic, and Bobcats.

Sweet 16, here comes the Wizards.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#32 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:06 pm

He Hate Me wrote:Agreed on about 50% on whats being said here. OPEC is a lost cause, he won't be in the league when his current contract expires.

While we aren't getting as much McGee as we'd like we're getting PLENTY of D-Mac which is quite surprising to me. At the beginning of the season I was almost sure that Dom was going to get lost on the roster, not starting and playing 25+.

Totally agree on Young1 and Blatche needing more time on the court together. Mike James and Songalia need to get lost.

The over-playing of Jamison and Butler seem to me a pretty clear indication that one will be traded in the offseason depending on where our pick is. I can see us trading up/down and packaging one of those 2 with the pick. In this draft you better have a top 2 pick. If you don't trade it. Thabeet and Griffen are the only players worth getting. JCN probably ruined the chances of us drafting Rubio.

Pecherov's a better rebounder than Bargnani, and I have a feeling if he played enough OPEC could be very similar to Bargnani from the three point line.

I can only hope the Wizards draft Griffin and trade Jamison or Butler. Antawn's a great person but I don't want a team where players won't be evaluated objectively by coaching and management. If Griffin were the pick the Wizards would bench Haywood and play Griffin at C. Jamison would be FINE at SF IMO, but the Wizards have a younger, more flexible player in Butler there. Problem with Caron is he's going to miss 10-15 games every season. As long as they play Jamison with Butler, defense goes right out the window and there will be selfishness and a rift between the younger players.

I hope they do draft Griffin and trade Jamison or Butler.
Bye bye Beal.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#33 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:26 pm

From the post:
""It's about more than just going out there and playing basketball," Jamison said. "It's about learning the right habits and being professional on and off the court, every day. I know that was something I had to learn when I was a young fella and it's the same for these guys. They have to understand that everything here is earned. Minutes are earned, opportunity is earned, shots are earned. It's a process that some of these guys had better figure out quick because next year, when we have our guys back, they won't be getting anything handed to them. This is a veteran team." "

This is, I guess, the most convincing argument so far why the youngsters aren't being spoon fed - so they don't get into the habit of expecting to be coddled.

But still. You know? Next year is next year, man.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer

Post#34 » by Tyrone Messby » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:31 pm

I still have hope for Blatche. I want to see how he performs next year with a new coach who (God willing) knows how to actually manage an NBA roster. I want to see what he can do with a capable center by his side with a capable point guard and shooting guard. I still have faith in Young as well. Dom has been the one beacon of hope this year. I'd say McGee too but by the time I finish this message he is already being yanked from the next game. Stupid, stupid Tapscott.

Here is a question, if the Wiz had the chance to package the lotto pick(lets say it is number 1), who would you demand be traded with it if we were going to trade a veteran or two off the roster and what would you demand in return? I just want Jamison off this team personally, I like the expirings coming off the book next season. We have loaded deadline day coming up next year. I'm really thinking next year can make up for this dismal season. We'll be loaded at the deadline, hopefully healthy, and hopefully in the thick of things with the Eastern Conference elite.

Arenas/Crittenton
Young(please)/Stevenson
Butler/Dom
Blatche/Griffin
Haywood/McGee

would be my dream, with Jamison's contract off the books and perhaps a viable back-up added to the team through a Jamison trade. Not happening I know, but damn it would be great to get out of that offensive(with no defensive) contract of Jamison.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by Tyrone Messby » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Oh and another thing, from Wizards Insider...

"You have to work at the highest level. You have to work in this league at the highest level to earn opportunities, to earn minutes, to earn chances."

Is that not what OPEC is doing IN PRACTICE? You know, the thing that goes hand in hand with playing time supposedly? Isn't practice the proverbial cheese the coach has to woo players into getting playing time? Isn't OPEC a gym rat who wants to actually learn the system? Contradictive mutha..shut yo mouth.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#36 » by DaRealHibachi » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:05 pm

ZonkertheBrainless wrote:From the post:
""It's about more than just going out there and playing basketball," Jamison said. "It's about learning the right habits and being professional on and off the court, every day. I know that was something I had to learn when I was a young fella and it's the same for these guys. They have to understand that everything here is earned. Minutes are earned, opportunity is earned, shots are earned. It's a process that some of these guys had better figure out quick because next year, when we have our guys back, they won't be getting anything handed to them. This is a veteran team." "

This is, I guess, the most convincing argument so far why the youngsters aren't being spoon fed - so they don't get into the habit of expecting to be coddled.

But still. You know? Next year is next year, man.

Mr Jamison, I know your not stupid, but this "veteran" team is 15-50 this year... The veterans aren't gettin sh*t done... If we were in playoff contention, it would've been a very different story, but we aren't, so instead of blaming the Young Ones, take a look in the damn mirror... And instead of calling them out all the time, call out the veterans who mess up more on most nights...

Damn this team with all it's damn double standards...:nonono:
:beer: Magnumt
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 379

Post#37 » by Benjammin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:14 pm

It's easier to blame the young guys for the crappy season than for Butler and Jamison to admit that although they are "all-stars" as they see themselves, the two most important players on the team have been out for the whole year and Butler and Jamison are not capable of leading this team to more than 15 wins with less than 20 to play.
RealGM

Post#38 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:43 pm

Just like when the Wizards had Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace and Rip Hamilton as young fellas, they'll screw it up holding on to older players who can't win games.
Bye bye Beal.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer

Post#39 » by Tyrone Messby » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:12 pm

It's easier to blame the young guys for the crappy season than for Butler and Jamison to admit that although they are "all-stars" as they see themselves, the two most important players on the team have been out for the whole year and Butler and Jamison are not capable of leading this team to more than 15 wins with less than 20 to play.

It really is ridiculous when you think about it that this team even with "all-stars" Butler and Jamison has only been able to win 15 games so far.

It is mind-numbing to think this team is on par with the 00-01 team (19-63) with such household names as ..
Jahidi White, Michael Smith, Tyrone Nesby, Rip Hamilton, Chris Whitney, Laettner, Popeye Jones, Courtney Alexander, Mitch Richmond, Laron Profit, Loy Vaught, Hubert Davis, and Gerard King.

I mean really, are they really THAT bad? Ugh, it just shows how valuable Haywood and Arenas are to this team. Haywood looks like a young Shaq in terms of his value to this team. :lol:
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,880

Post#40 » by Wizardspride » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:35 pm

I wonder how the youngsters feel about Jamison and Butler constantly throwing them under the bus?

The same Jamison and Butler who are pretty much logging all of the minutes. :evil:

You know how they say that you see what someone is made of when they face adversity?

Well, judging from Jamison and particularly Caron's comments (and play at times) they aren't made out of much at all.

In fact, I know I'm going to get ridiculed but I'm not opposed to trading both of them in the offseason.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries

Return to Washington Wizards