ImageImageImageImageImage

I hate this season (formerly Tapscott/Vets thread)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Re: Tapscott and the Veterans are what I HATE about this team! 

Post#81 » by jimij » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:14 pm

fishercob wrote:
"Empty stats" and "empty numbers" are phrases that are used all the time on this board, often when knocking Jamison. Can I get a little definition as to what that phrase means? From what I can surmise, "empty stats" really means "incomplete stats" or "crappy teammates." The phrase is used when a guy has good box score stats but his team doesn't win much.

To me, empty stats are stats accumulated in garbage time, and would thus only be applicable to very small sample sizes (you're not going to have a guy average 20 and 10, but only accumulate those numbers during garbage time). Thus, I don't buy that Jamison puts up empty stats. I'm certainly open to changing that view if someone can effectively argue otherwise.

The reason I say empty stats is because, at least IMO Jamison gives up about as many points as he scores and because I've always felt he was a much better player in the first three quarters than in the fourth quarter. That's not to say that he can't be effective in the fourth quarter, but in the first three quarters of a game, opposing defenses are definitely not as focused as they are once crunch time comes around and Jamison as a primary focal point of the offense has much more success earlier in games rather than later. In the fourth quarter of games, he gets garbage points and points off passes from his movement but he can't be trusted to be the focal point of the attack because the opposing team will just shut him down.

IMO Jamison's best role is either as the 3rd or 4th option or as the 6th man role he played in Dallas since he's a defensive liability and he's a very unwilling passer. I just don't believe that on a really good team that he warrants the number of shot attempts that he takes. Its not like Gil who can carry a team even if the opposition is completely focused on shutting him down.
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#82 » by jimij » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:20 pm

fishercob wrote:I think Jamison's sucky defense is mostly due to his physical limitations. I think he tries on D, he's just slow and undersized. dandridge's courtside account of the other night leads me to believe that Jamison's doing what's asked of him on D. To be clear, Jamison's D sucks, but I don't think he lacks credibility when bitching at teammates for poor effort or lack of mental preparedness.

I have to respectfully disagree with this as well since I don't think physical limitations tell the whole story.

IMO he doesn't give a full effort on defense in that he never seems to challenge a shot unless he's coming from behind someone. He always just gets out of the way which makes our defense look like swiss cheese. For once I'd love to see him try and take a charge.

Also, he (like most of the other wizards) constantly leaves his man and is slow to rotate because he's busy watching/following the ball.

I'd also like to see him box out occaisionally. He's got a great instinct for positioning himself to get a rebound and guessing where the ball will come off the rim, but he is terrible at actually boxing out his man. This ends up in him getting lots of rebounds but also giving up a ton of easy follow up baskets for opposing PF's.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#83 » by fishercob » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:32 pm

jimij wrote:
fishercob wrote:
"Empty stats" and "empty numbers" are phrases that are used all the time on this board, often when knocking Jamison. Can I get a little definition as to what that phrase means? From what I can surmise, "empty stats" really means "incomplete stats" or "crappy teammates." The phrase is used when a guy has good box score stats but his team doesn't win much.

To me, empty stats are stats accumulated in garbage time, and would thus only be applicable to very small sample sizes (you're not going to have a guy average 20 and 10, but only accumulate those numbers during garbage time). Thus, I don't buy that Jamison puts up empty stats. I'm certainly open to changing that view if someone can effectively argue otherwise.

The reason I say empty stats is because, at least IMO Jamison gives up about as many points as he scores and because I've always felt he was a much better player in the first three quarters than in the fourth quarter. That's not to say that he can't be effective in the fourth quarter, but in the first three quarters of a game, opposing defenses are definitely not as focused as they are once crunch time comes around and Jamison as a primary focal point of the offense has much more success earlier in games rather than later. In the fourth quarter of games, he gets garbage points and points off passes from his movement but he can't be trusted to be the focal point of the attack because the opposing team will just shut him down.

I'm going to focus on the bolded part because (a) this is what miller opined people meant when knocking AJ's "empty numbers" and (b) without some data to back it up, I'd hypothesize the rest of it is hooey.

With any luck, we're going to bring in a coach who can drastically improve the defense of this team. Jamison's deficiencies aside, isn't it then reasonable to think that his defense will improve under a new system? No he'll never be KG, but can he be one fifth of an average defensive team? Because if the answer is yes, and the Wiz can maintain their offensive prowess (when fully healthy), this team becomes a contender, right?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,123

Post#84 » by Dat2U » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:33 pm

hands11 wrote:
First off. We are the most injured team in the league.

2nd - as many losses are we are racking up, we still worry it wont be enough to be the worst.

3rd, you mean this team.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/WAS/2001.html

The one that had Howard and Rip averaging 18 pts a game.
And Rod Strickland playing 33 games averaging 12.6 pts 7.5 assists , 3.8 rebounds

J White. That was his best year. We would have been lucky to have someone his size playing center this year. http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... eja01.html

That already more then this team has had this year.

They didn't get these other guys till later.
L8ner - our DSong L8 had a solid year won he got here.

Courntey Alexander was our NY
Courntey lit it up for us that year averaging 17 pts a game while here.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... aco02.html

You made that team should a lot less talented then it was.
At least they had a real PG for part of the year.
Plus White was a true center. Howard was a PF playing center. Sound familiar.

That team had some talent. They were just moving players aruond and dumping contracts.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 10CHH.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 70CHI.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 80WAS.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 50WAS.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 10WAS.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 20WAS.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 10WAS.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 30WAS.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 70LAC.html

I'm not sure what your smoking but can you please pass some of that to me?

I can't share in your optimism. We are absolutely horrible to watch. We've failed to give minutes to and develop our best prospects, we've added needless wear and tear on best players. We stink to high hell. Yet there's no comparison in terms of talent b/w this team and that 01-02 team. Even with the injuries, this team had two all-star quality players. The cupboard was almost completely bare on that team.

Rod played about 1/3 of the games. He was a complete dog and quit on the team. Howard was the team's best player which meant he was slightly better than mediocre before he got traded and he got abused defensively. Courtney may have "lit it up for us" for 27 games but his PER was a 14.2 (15.0 is league avg) and his efg was just a measly .466. He was basically a high volume chucker. We started friggin Chris Whitney at PG who at best was a backup and forced to play major minutes with two bad ankles! Guys like Michael "The Animal" Smith, Felipe Lopez and Tyrone Nesby played major minutes for us. Mitch Richmond was done, cooked and finished as a SG. It was sad to watch him consistently drive to the basket, stumble and lose the ball. Outside of Rip Hamilton, who was a defensive sieve at that team, that roster was a disaster and needed a bomb dropped on it.

Yet that pathetic group of players led by the great Leonard Hamilton won more games that this current collection of misfits is on pace to win.

Were about to set an NBA record for futility by not winning a friggin division game.

Sorry hands, you can drive this bandwagon by yourself. This season has been an unmitigated disaster. The coach is awful and there's no amount of excuses in the world that could pass as acceptable to the level of failure we've seen this season.
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#85 » by DallasShalDune » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:16 pm

I feel as if I'm the only Wiz fan who loves having Jamison here. He is our best player without Arenas, and there is no competition. Butler is way too inconsistent, and is a good 3rd option, but when asked to be a 2nd option, Butler foils. He'll give a 25-30 point performance every 5 games or so, but then lay a few single-digit point performances in between. His 20 ppg is misleading. Jamison is the ONLY player on this team that will bring it night in and night out. I do agree that he needs to address his defense, but so does Butler, Arenas, and as someone said before, everyone else save Wood.

This season is not on Antawn's shoulders. It is on everyone shoulders, and if anything, it's less on him than most. He isn't a Lebron, and we should expect that from him. He's Jamison, and he plays his ass off. He doesn't have the defensive mentality, and needs to work on it, but still, what he has brought to our team for the past half decade, I'm thankful for, and hope he can finish out his career strong here.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#86 » by Tyrone Messby » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Thank you. We have that same Rip Hamilton on this team, his name is Nick Young. If Nick Young had received as many minutes as Rip that year, he'd probably be putting up 18 a game as well.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#87 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:31 pm

Ivan ripped N1's defense again today, on the chat:

"Nick is one dimensional offensively, can't defend and has zero hoop iq. "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... iscussions
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,393

Post#88 » by doclinkin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:33 pm

fishercob wrote:
jimij wrote:
fishercob wrote:

I'm going to focus on the bolded part because (a) this is what miller opined people meant when knocking AJ's "empty numbers" and (b) without some data to back it up, I'd hypothesize the rest of it is hooey.

With any luck, we're going to bring in a coach who can drastically improve the defense of this team. Jamison's deficiencies aside, isn't it then reasonable to think that his defense will improve under a new system? No he'll never be KG, but can he be one fifth of an average defensive team? Because if the answer is yes, and the Wiz can maintain their offensive prowess (when fully healthy), this team becomes a contender, right?

I'm not a fan of this thread. But that said the numbers are pretty solidly against Jamison. And Butler this year. Check the sortable on/off data on the team. Without Haywood in the starters Jamison's negative defensive effect is pretty stark.

Whether you sort by defensive net points or defensive eFG% Jamison and Butler are in the bottom 20 league-wide. (One sort here.)

Granted these two are playing against starters and in crunch time, while the youngsters get yanked before their defensive lapses can do much damage to their on/off stats, but still, you know, 16 wins here...

In Butler's case, he has slacked a bit and isn't sticking his nose in there to risk injury. Understood why, no point risking himself in a lost cause. Also, at 2-guard his speed is a liability, McGuire often covers the tougher assignment so's not to expose him to fouls. Jamison however is trying as hard as always, doing the best he can. Thing is, Jamison simply lacks aptitude for defense, he tries as hard as he can. Literally. The same way nobody can replicate the bizarre skillset he has on offense, there's no point expecting him to be the guy diving on the floor for balls and trying to intimidate or fight Bigger guys in the lane.

I just don't see any point beating him up over it. He gives 100% of the things he does well, on court and off, if his instinct for defense is a step slow, so be it, you live with it, or not, because you can predict at all times exactly how much you are going to get. Jamison is an undersized powerforward, light in the diaper, no lane cloggin intimidator, or outside he's a stifflegged step-slow SF with no lateral crouch, not at all bowlegged...

His argument regarding the youngsters is fair, they are operating below their talent level and capacity, if they were putting in the same kind of effort and concentration, their upside is higher. Nick Young is an ideally built 2-guard, needing only a bit of weightroom dedication to complete the package of his physical tools. And a bit better focus, and sure, experience, to fulfill his potential. The experience part isn't under his control, the rest is. Blatche too, he''s a remarkably coordinated 'Footer. If he pushed heavy iron and got stronger, focussed on scouting reports and watched video more than showing up at clubs he could be a dominant shutdown factor.

Apparently, he doesn't.

The experience part isn't under their control unless you believe the coaching staff who has said if you put in the work you earn the PT. Granted, they have some problems with their carrot and stick approach, haven't found the right motivator, no hardasses here, maybe the coaching staff changes that. But they won't fix the Jamison/Caron problem of being defensive tweeners. You can hide it, you can mask it, but mostly by playing Jamison at SF or 6th man. Or you can follow EJ's route and maximize your strengths on the offensive end. But you ain't gonna erase the problem simply by teaching them better.

And Jamison is right, what helps us the most is a high level of hard work, consistency and improvement by the youngsters. Maybe, just maybe they would improve by being forced to play and forced to suffer their embarrassment without the safety net of veterans, to lose on their own merits. Maybe they'd be motivated off court. Maybe. But Jamison and ETapp can only judge by the effort they see on a daily basis. It's the job of a team captain to call them on it and try to change their behavior however he can.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,423

Post#89 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:57 pm

ZonkertheBrainless wrote:Ivan ripped N1's defense again today, on the chat:

"Nick is one dimensional offensively, can't defend and has zero hoop iq. "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... iscussions

The link is dead.

This conventional wisdom is really starting to frustrate me. Every time I watch Nick Young, I see a guy that works hard off the ball, does a pretty good job at stopping penetration, and closes out on shooters better than anybody else on the roster with the possible exception of DMac. Young continues to lead the team in defensive on/off differential and absolutely blows everyone else on the team away in counterpart PER.

By the way, Kevin Martin got NOTHING in the game when NIck Young was on him. Young even drew a charge against him while isolated one-on-one.

I'm not saying Young is perfect. He could definitely benefit from more work in the weight room and the film room. But overall, there really isn't much to complain about defensively. For a 2nd year player, his defense is pretty good.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,423

Post#90 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:24 pm

I posted this rant on the Trade Board and thought it might add to the discussion here:

gswhoops wrote:I don't want Jamison on this team for any combination of our players. The only way I'd take him would be if he was attached to Butler or their pick. Since that will never happen, no Jams in GS.

The Jamison hate on RealGM has gotten so out of hand it's ridiculous. Jamison happens to be having a great season. He is posting career highs in PER and ORtg despite being loaded up on defensively. It's just that the conventional wisdom about his bad D has been blown so out of proportion that people think he's a team cancer or something.

Let's compare Jamison's pace-adjusted per-36 numbers to a handful of other well-known power forwards, none of whom are well known for their defense:

Code: Select all

Player           PTS  REB  AST  STL  BLK   TO eFG%  TS%  PER
jamison,antawn  20.9  8.6  1.8  1.2  0.3  1.5 .505 .549 20.7
nowitzki,dirk   24.3  8.0  2.4  0.7  0.8  2.0 .494 .560 22.6
bosh,chris      21.5  9.0  2.3  0.7  0.9  2.2 .488 .566 21.7
stoudemire,amar 19.9  7.5  1.8  0.9  1.0  2.6 .541 .617 20.3
aldridge,lamarc 18.7  7.4  2.0  1.0  0.9  1.4 .490 .531 19.3

Jamison scores roughly as much as all but Nowitzki. Jamison is as efficient (after factoring turnovers) as all but Stoudemire. He rebounds better than all but Bosh. And his fewer blocks are compensated by his greater steals.

Basically, Jamison is having a season roughly as good as all of these guys on a per-minute basis, only he's maintaining these numbers while leading the league in minutes played. Oh yeah, he is paid $9.9M while the rest of these guys (save Aldridge) are paid $14-18M and are expecting raises in 2010. And don't argue about his age. Jamison is having his best season as a pro at age 32 while LEADING THE LEAGUE in minutes played. His game doesn't rely on athleticism. He is showing absolutely no signs of decline and probably won't show any until perhaps the last year of his contract.

It's just not worth discussing Jamison trades on this board anymore. People talk about him as if he has negative value. That's just absurd.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#91 » by fishercob » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Great info Nate. What, if anything can you make of Jamison's defense from the stats available compared to those other guys?

In your opinion, if the team defense is improved by virtue of a new coach and scheme, is it imperative to move/replace Jamison if the Wiz are to contend?
— Steve Martin
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,123

Post#92 » by Dat2U » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:06 pm

nate33 wrote:The Jamison hate on RealGM has gotten so out of hand it's ridiculous. Jamison happens to be having a great season. He is posting career highs in PER and ORtg despite being loaded up on defensively. It's just that the conventional wisdom about his bad D has been blown so out of proportion that people think he's a team cancer or something.

Basically, Jamison is having a season roughly as good as all of these guys on a per-minute basis, only he's maintaining these numbers while leading the league in minutes played. Oh yeah, he is paid $9.9M while the rest of these guys (save Aldridge) are paid $14-18M and are expecting raises in 2010. And don't argue about his age. Jamison is having his best season as a pro at age 32 while LEADING THE LEAGUE in minutes played. His game doesn't rely on athleticism. He is showing absolutely no signs of decline and probably won't show any until perhaps the last year of his contract.

It's just not worth discussing Jamison trades on this board anymore. People talk about him as if he has negative value. That's just absurd.

Yep he's having such a great season, and he along with Caron Butler are two all-stars who have put this team on its back and carried this roster all season long (clears throat, we haven't won a single division game this year). Let me clap my hands in expressing my gratitude for the wonderful season Jams is having (cough, 16-51, cough)

And you know what? I frankly view him as a cancer. A cancer on our defense. A team follows its leader. And our "leader of men" has done a great job of getting his guys to follow the example he sets of the defensive end of the court. I just don't buy the claim he tries his hardest. I've watched him long enough to see those rare glimpses of inspired defensive play from him when he's mad or has something to prove. 98% of the time however he just settles for providing the minimum effort necessary to look like he's actually giving a damn out there on D.

It's not just about bad defense, its about horrible defense. i'd be hard pressed to find a guy playing 30+ a night that's as a bad a defender as Jamison is. Guys like Stoudemire, Nowitzki & Aldridge may not be great defenders by any stretch of the imagination but you put them in our lineup and I'd bet our defense improves by a significant margin.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#93 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:42 pm

I still have the vision of Jamison allowing the baseline wide open for LeBron. He just stood there... did absolutely nothing. That wasn't his lack of whatever the excuse for his defensive suckiness is, just straight up lazy and lack of interest in defense.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#94 » by fishercob » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Dat, perhaps the Wizards record has more to do with the crappy play at the guard and center position, as well as crappy coaching, than it does with Jamison.

Nate just provided actual facts as to the level of Jamison's offensive contributions. As doc said, wouldn't it make more sense to try to mitigate Jamison's weaknesses with complementary players than to just write him off as a "cancer" (which is laughable)?

These two links compare Jamison, Bosh, Dirk and Amare, over their careers and this year respectively:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/ ... i?id=6hhHH
http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/ ... i?id=Ue85M

Looking at DRtg and DWS, Jamison's the worst defender of the four, but not by a wide margin. Admittedly, I don't quite get what these metrics show, but they don't support the notion of a "defensive cancer."

And what's up with the "Leader of Men" swipe that you and other AJ Haters consistently take? Did someone else call him that, or are you protesting him being made a captain of the Wiz?
— Steve Martin
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,036

Post#95 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:05 am

I had a long post about Jamison that I deleted.

Jamison has been EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE AT SF

http://www.82games.com/0809/08WAS10.HTM

In every category he's dominated at SF this season. I believe he would be so much less of a defensive liability there because he's so dominating offensively at SF. He outshoots, outrebounds, scores inside more, gets to the FT line more, and dominates in PER at SF.

I believe the absolute best lineup is to take out Caron or Jamison -- in this case Caron, -- and put one at SF.

I believe a good lineup would be Young, McGuire, Jamison, Songaila, and Blatche.

Young, McGuire, Jamison, Songaila, and Blatche have the abilty to score, defend, and rebound well.
Bye bye Beal.
crackhed
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#96 » by crackhed » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:04 am

Dat2U wrote:And you know what? I frankly view him as a cancer. A cancer on our defense. A team follows its leader. And our "leader of men" has done a great job of getting his guys to follow the example he sets of the defensive end of the court. I just don't buy the claim he tries his hardest. I've watched him long enough to see those rare glimpses of inspired defensive play from him when he's mad or has something to prove. 98% of the time however he just settles for providing the minimum effort necessary to look like he's actually giving a damn out there on D.

It's not just about bad defense, its about horrible defense. i'd be hard pressed to find a guy playing 30+ a night that's as a bad a defender as Jamison is. Guys like Stoudemire, Nowitzki & Aldridge may not be great defenders by any stretch of the imagination but you put them in our lineup and I'd bet our defense improves by a significant margin.

hate to pile on, but got to agree w/this. i feel like jamison sacrifices defensive effort for offensive benefit. but if u consider the totality of what he brings to the table, i'll take it.
problem is gilbert is just as bad (if not worse), so now u got 2 starters who play mediocre defense.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the kind of man I am"
H. Simpson
doclinkin
RealGM

Re: I hate this season (formerly Tapscott/Vets thread) 

Post#97 » by doclinkin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:28 am

Like the name change on the thread. Agreed, it's a rough one.

Dat2U wrote:It's not just about bad defense, its about horrible defense. i'd be hard pressed to find a guy playing 30+ a night that's as a bad a defender as Jamison is.

Rudy Gay. Kevin Durant, among others. And this year, Caron Butler apparently. Leastways that's what is suggested by the opponent eFG% sort of the on/off stats.

Here.

Though I dunno, Tim Duncan ranks pretty close to Jamison there, so I dunno what that accounts for (maybe it's the Tony Parker effect. He's small, and is oncourt with Duncan most often, so teams can shoot over top of him, increasing their points per shot or something).

Dat, perhaps the Wizards record has more to do with the crappy play at the guard and center position, as well as crappy coaching, than it does with Jamison.

I'd agree with fish on this one. And CCJ's SF theorum since I brought it up two years ago. Jamison will be a significantly valuable asset to the team whenever someone better than him can force him into a bench role, and when he has a coach who can use his skill set to best advantage.

But I suspect you'll have to live with him until then, unless he desires a trade and Abe thinks he'd like to reward him as thanks (trading only to a contender-- or to Carolina, but fat chance with Larry there, and MJ as head honcho). So the question is how best to use him as an asset. Find squads where his strengths are most needed and weaknesses are best masked. Exploit his talents against the best match-ups. In otherwords, find a top quality competent coach.

And right, put him out there with a real frontcourt, and guards who don't flat-out suck.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#98 » by yungal07 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:57 am

I agree with Dat2u. Jamison is a horrible, horrible defensive player.

And doc...I disagree with your comparison of Jamison's defense to Butler, Gay, and Durant. Those 3 are wing players...when you don't have a great help defender in the paint, it's darn near impossible to play good man-to-man defense on the perimeter. Jamison offers nothing....and i mean nothing, as far as help defense is concerned. No blocked shots, horribly slow rotations, and he seldom draws charges. Other than defensive rebounding and the occasional steal, he is the worst defensive starter in the NBA. And that is because he fails in 2 of 3 main defensive areas concerning bigman: on the ball defense and help defense (the third being defensive rebounding and he's good but not great at that). And the things i've mentioned are not the worst part...Opposing teams see Jamison and their eyes light up. It doesn't matter who the player or team is...these guys know the scouting report on Jamison. Take the ball towards him. Doesn't matter if its on the dribble, in the post, on the perimeter...wherever. If you have a one-on-one opportunity with Jamison defending, that's an automatic advantage for the offensive player. It could be Marko Jaric or Dee Brown or Tony Battie some horrible no name fringe nba player...those guys can make Jamison look foolish.

Maybe if we had Dwight Howard back there, we could get away with Jamison doing nothing defensively, but even then I doubt it. The Magic were beaten by the Cavs tonight because Dwight got no help on the inside or on rotations. They have the same type of player at power forward (Lewis) who doesn't do anything defensively. Dwight couldn't do it alone and the Magic lost. So that tells you about our chances of becoming a legitimate team with Jamison at power forward. Good player, but you can't win big games with him if he's playing heavy minutes.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 379

Post#99 » by Benjammin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:17 pm

Let's put it this way: when the opposing coach runs a play for Udonis Haslem to be isolated to take the last shot of a game, that means you're seen as a huge defensive liability when it counts the most.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#100 » by doclinkin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:20 pm

yungal07 wrote:I agree with Dat2u. Jamison is a horrible, horrible defensive player.

And doc...I disagree with your comparison of Jamison's defense to Butler, Gay, and Durant. Those 3 are wing players...when you don't have a great help defender in the paint, it's darn near impossible to play good man-to-man defense on the perimeter.

[cut]

They have the same type of player at power forward (Lewis) who doesn't do anything defensively. Dwight couldn't do it alone and the Magic lost. So that tells you about our chances of becoming a legitimate team with Jamison at power forward. Good player, but you can't win big games with him if he's playing heavy minutes.

Okay, Memet Okur, Troy Murphy and possibly: Pau Gasol, Al Thornton or Antonio McDyess then.

When Okur, Murphy or Gasol are on court, opposing teams shoot a better % (than the difference between Jamison and his back-ups). When Okur/Murphy/Thornton/McDyess are on court, opposing teams score more overall points compared to when they are offcourt. According to the numbers.

But you're not disagreeing with me.

Defensively our biggest shortcoming so-to-speak is that we been playing a rack of SF's on the court all at the same time. Caron, Jamison, Jeffries, Hayes-- often as many as three at once. This leaves us slow outside, small inside, and tired from trying to make up for length with hustle -- at both ends. And tired players can't keep it up 40 minutes a game, 82 games a year. You can turn it on in spurts, when needed, when inspired, when your coach convinces you to sacrifice for the good of the team -- or to save his job and your pride-- and you play on a balky knee or whatever. But you can't do it all game every game, forever, especially when nothing is on the line. And any drop-off in effort exposes your shortfall.

A bigger player will be bigger even when he is tired. All he needs to do is move a couple feet to be in the way, and raise his arms. Then lope up court at the change of possession if his team misses. Best thing is for his team not to miss, since he gets a slight head start at the loping part. (My theory was always that it could be Best in a way if his team can score at a high % while in a high post set, since he gets a head start both ways. But the truth is it tends to be a lower % offense unless you have a Big who can really really shoot the lights out, Eurostyle.) But that's what defense is all about: shaving those %'s. The best teams shoot 50%, if you can shave those numbers, limit second chances, and shoot better or more than them (with offensive rebounding) you win. If you can do that while conserving energy with efficient high% techniques and tactics, you can sustain excellence and energy long term. And wait until crunch time to rely on your high adrenaline effort and inspiration from your most talented players.

Yes. Jamison at PF has a defensive cascade effect. The quandary has been that Jamison at PF gives us an offensive cascade effect by opening up the middle. Jamison at SF has a basically neutral effect, scoring more than he's giving up, leaving only one open door for offensive attacks (unless you have LeBron who can outbig or outquick Jams then pass off the drive if the defense adjusts. The passing means there are open doors all over the court. Heaven help the league if he ever gets a solid alley oop threat. Hate that guy).

But off the bench even at PF, as a backpocket weapon, a situational mismatch, or against second line players, Jamison is a handy guy to have. And as a coach his strengths and weaknesses are evident, consistent and reliable. You can count on them, and use them when and where you choose, but you aren't as exposed to opponents regularly gameplanning against them for 40 minutes a game. He's going to give you maximum effort, and even on defense, since he's not out there for 40 minutes, he can occasionally turn up the heat and play bigger than usual. Even if he's giving up 20 lbs of athletic muscle in the mismatch on any given night.

To do that though, given his effort, professionalism, standing with the team, good reputation with the fans, good relationship with the owner, etc, you will pretty much have to replace him with a clear and obvious upgrade at the positions, to give him the ability to make the honorable sacrifice and take the bench role for the sake of winning. Otherwise you demonstrate that Bigger is more important than hardworking, and you send a tough lesson to young players who haven't yet figured out how to work hard, or win. That's the player motivation aspect, the chemistry consideration of coaching, being a leader of men.

Either that or you have to have cast iron wreckingballs in your jockey shorts. And straight swap out all players who won't learn, can't follow your philosophy, don't fit. Then you have to win, and keep winning. Or have a HOF resume to survive a down year, get the benefit of the doubt.

So: Blake Griffin, as the obvious upgrade who also works his tail off and has ungawdly athleticism while remaining both tough and humble and undaunted. Let him take the scars on his face that Jamison picked up while straight taking the job away from the KFB, let him bang and thump in the post, let Jamison pick on the littler guys and clean up rebounding scraps in the midrange.

Then get a coach who watches the %'s and can articulate the plan to his best players, convince them to buy in and sacrifice for the demonstrated good of the team. To show the best translation between effort and production, and how you find the shortcuts to get there and make the job easier for yourself. To have something in the tank when you need to turn it up in the playoffs, or at crunch time.

How we got to where we are is pretty simple to understand. How to fix it is pretty obvious as well. But the paths to get there are pretty scanty. Not many. 'Get a franchise/all-star Big Man' is easier said than done. Otherwise, you're busy trying to find a way to make do with what you got. And as far as 'make do' is concerned, what we've got in Jamison is a guy who plays hard even when only pride is at stake, gives okay 98% of his talent, even in a lost cause.

To me, there's no point pissing on that. No point killing the guy for what he's not and will never be, when he's giving you everything that he is. Even knowing his not inconsiderable liabilities, I sincerely appreciate what he does give, and would prefer that the youngsters take his example to heart. When they are veterans and have learned how to win, and are teaching youngsters on the teams that they captain (if, ever, and at all) it will be in part because they've seen how hard a guy like Jamison works: early to practice every day; in the weightroom, taking care of his body all season and in the offseason; wanting to play every minute of every game even when the mismatch is against him; never giving up hope or complaining even when the season has long been discarded to the trash heap; and demanding the same professionalism out of every player on the team. Work to deserve your paycheck, even when you are paid an ungodly amount. If Andray Blatche worked as hard offcourt and in practice, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

No matter his flaws, Jamison has my respect. Simple as that.

Return to Washington Wizards