ImageImageImageImageImage

WIZ vs Charlotte

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Re: WIZ vs Charlotte 

Post#76 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:46 am

Tyrone Messby wrote:Yes, 1-14 in the division! Great comeback from 20 down. If I were a Charlotte fan I would be very depressed.

I'm depressed. Our margin for success (as opposed to our margin for error) is now slim. With Gil not playing back to backs and Haywood apparently needing 600 or so practices before actually going out and doing what he's been doing all his life, we only needed to tank 4 or so games to insure that we don't rise past 6th or so in the lottery.

Now all bets are off. We could end up with 21 wins and pass Minnesota and OKC (not to mentions the Clips and the Griz.)
In Rizzo we trust
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#77 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:49 am

It almost looked like the Bobcats were giving us the game.

I liked that it was an entertaining, close game, and some of the young fellas played well but I've got to admit I'm not all that happy we won. I don't give a crap about having the record as the only team not to win a game in its division...it will mean nothing next year. I just want the best chance for getting the top pick, and if that means losing the rest of the games, so be it. For me, the only consolation for a miserable season is getting the best draft pick we can get.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#78 » by queridiculo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:50 am

Don't worry about it lsbf, karma will be on our side if we continue to play strong and reward the Boulez with the 1st overall pick.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#79 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:53 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Tyrone Messby wrote:Yes, 1-14 in the division! Great comeback from 20 down. If I were a Charlotte fan I would be very depressed.

I'm depressed. Our margin for success (as opposed to our margin for error) is now slim. With Gil not playing back to backs and Haywood apparently needing 600 or so practices before actually going out and doing what he's been doing all his life, we only needed to tank 4 or so games to insure that we don't rise past 6th or so in the lottery.

Now all bets are off. We could end up with 21 wins and pass Minnesota and OKC (not to mentions the Clips and the Griz.)

Agreed...Knowing the curse of Le Boulez, the Wiz will win enough games to end up with a draft pick that won't net us crap. Then, we will get nothing for this miserable crappy season, but a few wins that no one will ever remember.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#80 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:55 am

hermitkid wrote:Don't worry about it lsbf, karma will be on our side if we continue to play strong and reward the Boulez with the 1st overall pick.

OK. I can dig the positivity.

What else can we do to improve karma? Should we be sacrificing chickens?

Beating (and I mean beating) the Cavs twice more would seem to aid karma, no?
In Rizzo we trust
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#81 » by queridiculo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:02 am

Definitely. A win against Cleveland that would ultimately keep them from clinching the best overall record and home court throughout the playoffs would put us over the top.

Either that, or sacrificing a goat. I'm afraid with our mojo chickens simply won't do.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#82 » by 80sballboy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:05 am

You can thank Gerald Wallace for possibly costing us not only Blake Griffin, but didn't he injure Caron or Gil two years ago? Wow, I can't wait for Gil to play and for us to get closer to drafting Hasheem Thabeet, Jordan Hill, Demar Derozan or Earl Clark and then trading a pick.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#83 » by BigA » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:15 am

Clips beat Nix, hey!
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#84 » by fishercob » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:17 am

We have a choice. We can say that this is typical Bullets/Wiz -- just good enough to break your heart. Suffer through a disgusting season only to win 5 or 6 of their last 10 to thoroughly lengthen their lotto odds.

Or, we can choose to see a team that a has playoff roster in street clothes tonight (Arenas, Deshawn, Caron, Songaila, Haywood, Juan, Etan) and eight healthy bodies claw back from 20 down -- and drive a stake through the heart of another team fighting to get to the postseason.

I mean, I tried rooting for them to lose, but I just couldn't help pump my fist when good things happened. I love that through this terrible, awful, **** of season that this team has stayed together and kept the will to win. Blatche's primal reaction after his late block gave me goose bumps. I don't know if it's Jamison, Tapscott, or Abraham Polin, dlts20 or Big Gheorghe, but someone is providing leadership to these kids, the way the continue to fight. And it should be noted that Jamison was effusive in his praise of the kids during the postgame interview (for all the talk of bus-throwing and the like).

A win like this brings a little hope. Gilbert and Brendan coming back brings a little more. There's an opportunity to send a clear message to the Eastern conference that they've gotten off easy the past few years because of the Job-like injury trials the Wiz have suffered through (Did he just reference scripture? Leave him alone, he's on a roll) Next year we're coming back with a vengeance and a mission. We're about to get real good, real fast.

And maybe, just maybe, the basketball gods will reward out boldness on May 19th. Pretty please.

Go Wiz.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#85 » by queridiculo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:26 am

Very well put fishercob, can't deny that the tennis fist made an appearance despite my hopes of seeing yet another late collapse.

It's tough to root against this team when you see some of the younger players stepping up and responding late in the game.

I'll never be a big fan of Blatche, but if him, Young and McGuire continue to mature and bring that same swagger into next season we finally have the depth this team has lacked. Add McGee with a year under his belt and the 1st overall pick and we may just be a small step closer to contending for a title.

As much as this franchised has suffered, it would only be right if we finally get rewarded after that cruel joke in 2001.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#86 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:16 am

I don't think we'll get the first. Too much competition from other sucky teams. EG really needs to come through with a quality #5 pick. You should be able to get a starter there.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#87 » by no D in Hibachi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:25 am

hermitkid wrote:This would have been a tanktastic loss, but at the end of the day I'm glad they didn't add yet another shameful record of futility.

Doing my captain obvious impression here, but Young had one heck of a game. Aside from the scoring I was most impressed by how he's continued to play within the offense. He didn't force anything, dished the ball on occasion and showed a lot of effort on defense.

Two key plays here, the block on Marion and the strip from behind on the final possession.

Good stuff, over the past few weeks it almost seems as if the light bulb finally came on for Young.

Which is why I feel it would be a bad mistake to draft another wing this year. N1 has really impressed me over the last 10-15 games. He's getting it.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#88 » by nate33 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:33 am

Young is a backup until he can learn to rebound, pass, and play off the ball. At this point, he's an instant offense guy off the bench. We need a true starting-caliber SG to replace Stevenson.

Even if you like Young, SG is still our biggest position of weakness. In this draft, we're not going to find a center better than Haywood, a power forward better than Jamison (assuming we don't pick #1), a small forward better than Butler or a point guard better than Arenas. However, the odds are pretty good that we can find a SG better than Young/Stevenson.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#89 » by queridiculo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:20 am

nate33 wrote:Even if you like Young, SG is still our biggest position of weakness. In this draft, we're not going to find a center better than Haywood, a power forward better than Jamison (assuming we don't pick #1), a small forward better than Butler or a point guard better than Arenas. However, the odds are pretty good that we can find a SG better than Young/Stevenson.

Since we're going to end up drafting Griffin it's really a moot point, but if we were in that situation I'd really like to see us pick up Evan Turner.

He'd give us more flexibility with his ability to move between the 2 and 3 spot, and does a whole lot more than just score out there. He's an excellent rebounder and also manages to involve his teammates.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#90 » by closg00 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:09 am

Can't wait for Gilbert to get back, watching Mike James try to run the break is a painful think to watch.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#91 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:04 pm

I've been a Nick Young critic here, but I've never seen him play even close to as well as he did last night - in crunch time - on defense. Those last 2 fouls on him were... somewhat questionable. In the past, he wouldn't have committed them, because he didn't put that kind of passion on defense. He showed why ET calls him the most talented of our young players. All I want is that kind of effort on a consistent basis. I'm glad he didn't get the tanking memo, so I could see the kind of player he can be.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#92 » by hands11 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:21 pm

I think people should be far and give Tapps some credit for cracking the nut that is Nick.

We all know he had talent. He just needed to become a more complete NBA player and that is what we are starting to see.

Add to Tapps contributions are the progress of DMAC.
Blatche has made strides this year also.
McGee has been managed well. He obviously needs a really good off season.
Crit has also been managed well. He had not clue. Now he has some clue. He can drive but needs to add a shot.

We had lots of raw talent and very little quality vet presence to help bring them along and stabilize the team. Given that environment, I think Tapps did well managing the situation and not loosing the team.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#93 » by closg00 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:46 pm

hands11 wrote:I think people should be far and give Tapps some credit for cracking the nut that is Nick.

We all know he had talent. He just needed to become a more complete NBA player and that is what we are starting to see.

Add to Tapps contributions are the progress of DMAC.
Blatche has made strides this year also.
McGee has been managed well. He obviously needs a really good off season.
Crit has also been managed well. He had not clue. Now he has some clue. He can drive but needs to add a shot.

We had lots of raw talent and very little quality vet presence to help bring them along and stabilize the team. Given that environment, I think Tapps did well managing the situation and not loosing the team.

Why should Tap be given any credit at all?

*Nicks minutes have increased only because Tap had little choice but to increase his minutes.
*Tap reaptedly played poorly performing vets (an injured DS) over developing the rookies in a lost season.
*McGee's use or non-use has been baffling. If McGee was playing especially well during a game, he was sure to pulled as-soon as he got hot.
* Crit's weaknesses are obvious, but Mike James weaknesses are just as-bad if-not worse than Crit's

Don't get me started on Taps foolish and hurtful comments he's made about the rooks that have appeared in the press.

Ed Tapscott is an arrogant prick and I can't wait to be rid of him.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#94 » by MJG » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:01 pm

hands11 wrote:I think people should be far and give Tapps some credit for cracking the nut that is Nick.

What has N1 done these past two weeks that he didn't do the season's first two weeks, when EJ was his coach? He's just an up-and-down player who is currently on his "up" mode.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#95 » by dobrojim » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:41 pm

no D in Hibachi wrote:Not sure what all the Blatche hate is for, he's doing pretty good if you ask me.

Further, I'm not sure why everyone wants to trade down in the draft so the Wizards can pick Henderson. N1 has played great lately and he's really had a good game tonight against one of the top SG defenders in the league.

+1 on both points even though I'm on the trade down (unless it's #1 on the pick)
for a swingman. That may have been New York's coming out party not that he hasn't
had better offensive games. Seeing him drive and dunk, hit Js and defend and rebound
was a beautiful thing.

There are a lot of players/scenarios that I could envision happening wrt to the offseason
that have nice potential upsides.

I like Griffin (duh).

But I also like Hill and Blair.

I like Henderson but I also like Curry, Williams, Evans and Turner

We'll have assets and hopefully options. Trading the rights to Rubio or Thabeet
might be 2 options that could be productive for us.

All that said, I still feel the single most important thing that happens this
offseason will be the choice of coach.

bet re last night - THAT's the Nick Young I want to see playing next to Gil.
Scary.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities

Return to Washington Wizards