ImageImageImageImageImage

4/8: A parting shot -- Wiz @ mistake by the lake

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

3peat
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: 4/8: A parting shot -- Wiz @ mistake by the lake 

Post#81 » by 3peat » Thu Apr 9, 2009 1:26 am

great game, it was fun! thanks for the confidence booster, we needed it.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#82 » by miller31time » Thu Apr 9, 2009 1:27 am

3peat wrote:great game, it was fun! thanks for the confidence booster, we needed it.

Unsurprisingly, Cavs fans take this win as a true victory, despite Washington not having their best player.

Seems familiar.

EDIT: I almost forgot to congratulate them for splitting the season series at 2 games apiece, with the 2nd-worst team in the league including one 'win' that I think we all know should have gone in the loss column. Where are my manners?
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#83 » by yungal07 » Thu Apr 9, 2009 1:30 am

3peat wrote:great game, it was fun! thanks for the confidence booster, we needed it.

lol true

after we crapped on you guys last week, followed by that ass-raping you took from the magic, i'd agree with you...
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#84 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Apr 9, 2009 1:38 am

DaRealHibachi wrote:Gil not playing...??? Any reason...???

Because Blake Griffin declared for the draft yesterday.
In Rizzo we trust
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,014

Post#85 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 9, 2009 1:52 am

fishercob wrote:I'm a little surprised at all the righteous indignation over Gil 's sitting tonight, and these faux-bold pronouncements about him breaking down and the like. People, if we've learned anything -- anything -- about Gil over the years, it's to take basically everything he says with a grain of salt. Mike Lee reminded us of as much in a post on Insider this afternoon.

Yes, Gil originally said he was playing in Cleveland in Boston. Did Ernie say that? Did Tap? No. They've seen what they need to see to show them Gil's going to be the old Gil -- or at least a very very good player -- when he's back in game shape next year. They've said they want him playing at home for the fans that have endured this year. Yeah it would have been nice to have beaten the Cavs, but we got 'em last week and pissed them and their fans off plenty.

So relax, go watch some Gil highlights on the youtubes and plan some sacrifices to the basketball gods to get us Blake Griffin.

fisher, I'm the one who said he was breaking down and I don't mean it as a faux bold announcement.

I'm sick of Gilbert. Sick of believing in my heart from day one that he would miss a ton of games and that the contract was a huge mistake. Now, I'm sick of the feeling that guy's holding everybody hostage.

He looked real under control distributing 20 assists with only 1 turnover, regardless of whether he had any explosive movement or not. What I'm really upset about is that the Wizards once let folks come to Verizon and pay expecting to see Arenas play and he didn't. Tonight, after several days rest and with him traveling to Cleveland he once again does not play. But "the knee is fine".

I'm really think that he's a prima donna and I'm sick of his act.

I've been a fan of this team 35 years and I liked them last season without Gilbert.
Bye bye Beal.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#86 » by yungal07 » Thu Apr 9, 2009 1:58 am

Geez man give it a rest. How much whining do we have to endure because you don't like Gilbert? Maybe you should consider rooting for another team.
RealGM

Post#87 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 9, 2009 2:09 am

yungal07 wrote:Geez man give it a rest. How much whining do we have to endure because you don't like Gilbert? Maybe you should consider rooting for another team.

That's funny.

I have to endure you challenging almost everything I say when most of the time you're wrong.

Mike Sweetney and Morris Almond aside, what you really should realize is I'm right about Gil and not whining at all.

But I will give it a rest....

That and sincerely invite each and every person here that doesn't like my posts to use the ignore feature.
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,115

Post#88 » by Dat2U » Thu Apr 9, 2009 2:18 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote: I liked them last season without Gilbert.

Yeah, because that season was soooooooooo friggin wonderful. What I wouldn't give to get some of that 43-39 action followed by a 1st round playoff exit year after year. :roll:

I understand crapping on Gil for missing this game but lets not go overboard and say this team is better without him or more enjoyable. Because that's a big fat lie. There's nothing fun about watching a team struggle to get off a contested jumper as the shot clock is winding down 30 times a night. There's nothing fun about knowing that, even though half of the roster was having a career year, its likely to achieve nothing more than being 1st round fodder for the Cleveland's & Boston's of the world.

Fact is we need Gil back. If you want to live the past and talk about how your crystal ball said re-signing Gil was a bad idea, then fine. But that's getting old. The fact is were stuck with him whether you like it or not. Even if the Wizards were tired of him, they can't trade him. He's untradeable now and for the forseeable future. So what I'm going to do is root for the best, because if Gil isn't capable of being a #1 option anymore this franchise will be dead in the water for the next five years.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#89 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Apr 9, 2009 2:22 am

yungal07 wrote:Geez man give it a rest. How much whining do we have to endure because you don't like Gilbert? Maybe you should consider rooting for another team.

Eh, I don't see CCJ doing anything more than 95% do on this board. Virtually everyone on this board has singled out at least one player or coach on this team to bitch about this year. Dat with Jamison, CCJ with Arenas, 95% of the board with EJ and Tapscott; heck, even me with Blatche. The fact of the matter is we have all whined this year. Hopefully, after getting the #1 pick, getting healthy, and moving a few players for some vet help, we'll all be sitting around the campfire singing Kom bah ya next year.

I don't have a problem with people whining on this board...heck that's why most of us post...to get it off our chest. What I can't stand is those few arrogant people on this board who call posters idiots who don't agree with them. Those are the people that I have on ignore.

As for tonights game, it would have been nice to beat the Cavs in their hometown, but who really cares?? Heck, I taped the game instead of watching it figuring it would be a beatdown. I just want this god awful season over with so we can get to the real fun...the offseason. That's when our future starts.
Ced67
Senior

Post#90 » by Ced67 » Thu Apr 9, 2009 2:24 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:All I have to say is I wish I could pull up the old posts from right before Gil re-signed.

I said he knew his body was breaking down and that it would be foolish to re-sign him for a lot of money, especially since he had not demonstrated that he was healthy.

He's got 5 more years and around 90 Mil coming from Abe's pockets.

Dat, I dropped Arenas from my fantasy team this week, but foolishly fell out of first place last week with him on my roster. No way would I have put any money on him, but I was really starting to pull for him again.

PREACH THE WORD OF THE BASKETBALL GODS!!!

I agree 100% that you where right. Another 5 yrs and 90 mill. Anyone who thinks this is about tanking are crazy. He said he was playing this game, it was their super bowl and for him to miss it speaks volumes. He already said after the last game against Cle. that he wasn't what he use to be and I think he meant for good.

By the way:

Who hear likes fishsticks?...do you like putting fishsticks in your mouth?

What are you a gay fish?

hahahahahaha, just wanted to see if it works.
"We kept acquiring projects. Nick is a project. JaVale is a project. Javaris is a project. Eventually when you have enough projects, you live in the 'hood." --Gilbert Arenas

john2jer wrote:Only way we trade [Delonte] West is if Paul, Howard, or Kobe is coming back.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#91 » by hands11 » Thu Apr 9, 2009 5:42 am

Dat2U wrote:

Yeah, because that season was soooooooooo friggin wonderful. What I wouldn't give to get some of that 43-39 action followed by a 1st round playoff exit year after year. :roll:

I understand crapping on Gil for missing this game but lets not go overboard and say this team is better without him or more enjoyable. Because that's a big fat lie. There's nothing fun about watching a team struggle to get off a contested jumper as the shot clock is winding down 30 times a night. There's nothing fun about knowing that, even though half of the roster was having a career year, its likely to achieve nothing more than being 1st round fodder for the Cleveland's & Boston's of the world.

Fact is we need Gil back. If you want to live the past and talk about how your crystal ball said re-signing Gil was a bad idea, then fine. But that's getting old. The fact is were stuck with him whether you like it or not. Even if the Wizards were tired of him, they can't trade him. He's untradeable now and for the forseeable future. So what I'm going to do is root for the best, because if Gil isn't capable of being a #1 option anymore this franchise will be dead in the water for the next five years.

What's getting old is a hand full of posters here acting like that own this board telling others what is getting old.

Lets face it. Gil makes it easy to bitch about him. I've read and seen a lot of things recently that made we start to believe in a better more mature Gil. Now we have 2 things that make me question that. It's not a deal breaker but it's not a good trend. There are reasons he could have missed that we don't understand. Lets hope it's one of those because if it's just Gil being the old Gil, that would suck.

The last one was that. EG and Tapps didn't seem to know Gil wasn't going to play that last Cle game but then they probably talked him into playing. Problem for us as fans is we don't know what we have in him yet. Physically or mentally. I think that just gets people pissed off because they are frustrated.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#92 » by fishercob » Thu Apr 9, 2009 2:01 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
fishercob wrote:I'm a little surprised at all the righteous indignation over Gil 's sitting tonight, and these faux-bold pronouncements about him breaking down and the like. People, if we've learned anything -- anything -- about Gil over the years, it's to take basically everything he says with a grain of salt. Mike Lee reminded us of as much in a post on Insider this afternoon.

Yes, Gil originally said he was playing in Cleveland in Boston. Did Ernie say that? Did Tap? No. They've seen what they need to see to show them Gil's going to be the old Gil -- or at least a very very good player -- when he's back in game shape next year. They've said they want him playing at home for the fans that have endured this year. Yeah it would have been nice to have beaten the Cavs, but we got 'em last week and pissed them and their fans off plenty.

So relax, go watch some Gil highlights on the youtubes and plan some sacrifices to the basketball gods to get us Blake Griffin.

fisher, I'm the one who said he was breaking down and I don't mean it as a faux bold announcement.

I'm sick of Gilbert. Sick of believing in my heart from day one that he would miss a ton of games and that the contract was a huge mistake. Now, I'm sick of the feeling that guy's holding everybody hostage.

He looked real under control distributing 20 assists with only 1 turnover, regardless of whether he had any explosive movement or not. What I'm really upset about is that the Wizards once let folks come to Verizon and pay expecting to see Arenas play and he didn't. Tonight, after several days rest and with him traveling to Cleveland he once again does not play. But "the knee is fine".

I've been a fan of this team 35 years and I liked them last season without Gilbert.

CCJ, first let me just say that I love you.

I see two issues in your post above: one is that you don't like Gilbert (sick of him, his act, think he's a prima donna). The second is that his contract was a mistake because he wont stay healthy enough to earn it.

On the first issue, I don't know what to tell you. You're entitled to your opinion and certainly don't have to like the guy. But the 20/1 A/TO ratio you reference doesn't strike me as a guy who doesn't get it.

Tapps said so yesterday; the knee is fine, but coming back full bore after a long layoff is taxing on the whole body. When I read between the lines, I see that this is a guy who has missed most of two years, came back and played brilliantly (despite the rust). So what's the payoff in overplaying him when you're 18 and 60 or whatever? They acknowledge that this is a hyper-cautious approach. But given how much they have invested in the guy (and what happened this season) I don't blame them -- and I certainly don't blame Gil, nor do I think it's a function of him being a prima donna.

As to his injuries, I don't subscribe to the notion that Gil's breaking down. He's had two injuries during his career -- the deep ab strain and the knee. In both cases he hurt himself by trying to come back too soon and overworking himself. I don't think that makes him injury prone. I think much like D-Wade, Gil 2.0 is going to shock people with how good he is.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Ced67
Senior

Post#93 » by Ced67 » Thu Apr 9, 2009 5:04 pm

fishercob wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

CCJ, first let me just say that I love you.

As to his injuries, I don't subscribe to the notion that Gil's breaking down. He's had two injuries during his career -- the deep ab strain and the knee. In both cases he hurt himself by trying to come back too soon and overworking himself. I don't think that makes him injury prone. I think much like D-Wade, Gil 2.0 is going to shock people with how good he is.

The only difference between Gil and Wade, is that Wade had 1 surgury on that knee last season and Gil has had tree on the same knee. He's only had two injuries, but he's had 3 surgeries for one of those injuries. That worries me. I don't think he'll come back as the same guy, which might not be so bad. I really like the 20 ast. 1 to. Gil even if he didn't shoot the ball well. But I have to agree with CCJ that this whole act has been getting on my nerves for a while now. And I might be wrong but I think the original plan for Gil and the organization was for Gil to play all home games and the Cleveland game in Cleveland yesterday with no back to backs.. I've been saying that this games was their Super Bowl and I think that missing this game had to have something to do with that knee.

I think if the front office guys had seen what they needed to see out of Gil to show that he was the old Gil that he would have wanted to play like it on the court. In the two games he played I saw no explosiveness at all, at least not like old Gil. In Wades first game back from his knee surgury in the Olympics he tore it up showing he still had it, it was right away. I know its only been 2 games and although I wouldn't expect to see it for an entire game because of conditioning, I think we would have seen something to show us that Gil was still Gil. I do like the new Gil better than the old, but I personally think that this is about as good as its going to get.
"We kept acquiring projects. Nick is a project. JaVale is a project. Javaris is a project. Eventually when you have enough projects, you live in the 'hood." --Gilbert Arenas

john2jer wrote:Only way we trade [Delonte] West is if Paul, Howard, or Kobe is coming back.
Manny Phresh
Senior
And1: 15

Post#94 » by Manny Phresh » Thu Apr 9, 2009 7:06 pm

FreeBalling wrote:[
quote="Manny Phresh"]
DaRealHibachi wrote:Dude, we´re reacting to what you guys are saying on yall forum... Like pushin people down an escalator and stuff...

Hmmmm... I wonder why we would start a flame war with you guys... I have no clue...

Manny I like your persistence, did it ever cross your mind that our MODS are way cooler than on the Cavs site.

Yeah, but are MODS would never allow a type a thread like this on our board... Classy right? :lol:
BallAboveAll wrote:If you are in a marriage or a serious relationship you have to do crap you don't want to do sometimes. Why? Women can go longer without sex. :lol:
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#95 » by Zerocious » Thu Apr 9, 2009 8:40 pm

What a gamethread??? Why are you still here?

we 'insert derogatory name here' fans have moved on, thanks and happy travels!
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 379

Post#96 » by Benjammin » Thu Apr 9, 2009 8:55 pm

Manny Phresh wrote:
Yeah, but are MODS would never allow a type a thread like this on our board... Classy right? :lol:
[/quote]

"are MODS"....is that your attempt at writing "our MODS" or perhaps there is another more sophisticated interpretation that I am missing from your always cogent and witty posts?

(I don't subscribe to that green font stuff--either your sarcasm meter works or it is broken--if you have to telegraph sarcasm, even over the net, why bother?)
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#97 » by JWizmentality » Thu Apr 9, 2009 9:33 pm

What's this now...why is everybody pizzed at Gil?? What did I miss last night?
Manny Phresh
Senior
And1: 15

Post#98 » by Manny Phresh » Thu Apr 9, 2009 10:06 pm

Benjammin wrote:
Manny Phresh wrote:

"are MODS"....is that your attempt at writing "our MODS" or perhaps there is another more sophisticated interpretation that I am missing from your always cogent and witty posts?

(I don't subscribe to that green font stuff--either your sarcasm meter works or it is broken--if you have to telegraph sarcasm, even over the net, why bother?)
[/quote]

Nah, I think YOU'RE just overthinking it.
BallAboveAll wrote:If you are in a marriage or a serious relationship you have to do crap you don't want to do sometimes. Why? Women can go longer without sex. :lol:
RealGM

Post#99 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 9, 2009 10:12 pm

Dat2U wrote:

Last season the team played well enough to surprise everybody and make the playoffs playing 95% of the season without Gilbert. The team approach worked until the playoffs when the roster and subsequently the coaching changed for the worse IMO.

Yesterday I was first of all pissed off in general. On top of me feeling ill I've been dealing with stuff (one of my kids' teachers died unexpectedly. Wonderful lady who we just met with weeks ago; and a bunch of other personal stuff going on that had me in a crappy mood. (So, that was me whining, yungal.) Really shouldn't have been posting.

So, I apologize to everybody.

But since I did post, LET ME CLARIFY MY REAL STANCE ON GILBERT

First, he was smart to get all the money he could when he could. Good move for him.

Second, I might dislike a lot I hear through the media about Gil, but don't know the man to like him or dislike him. I don't hate him. I've heard a lot of good things, lately.

Third, Dat, you speak of Gil in terms of him being the same player he was. You hope for the best. Okay, that's fine and I truly respect that point of view. I don't think that's likely. But I have no crystal ball.

Fourth, I'll stop saying I knew he'd be injured again. At the same time it's hard to not recall how many people vociferously refused to entertain the idea that maybe he'd be injured again. As much as I'm going on and on, I feel some are really in denial of the reality that he's still very ginger on what was supposed to be healed up by Dec-Jan.

Fifth, about being stuck with him, I don't see it that way. IF he's healthy enough to put up good numbers then he becomes a tradeable asset again. You can't say you're stuck with him unless you're conceding that either he'll never recover OR he'll be the same ofd Gil.

I say he'll be back to 85-90% of he what he was and then he'd be tradeable.

Bottom line is I see the TEAM being bigger than any individual. Just like this board is bigger than me.

I sincerely apologize for bringing everybody down yesterday.

I think I'm going to stop watching the rest of this season and just tune back in at draft lottery time, because I don't have much good to say right now.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#100 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 9, 2009 10:14 pm

hands11 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Yeah, because that season was soooooooooo friggin wonderful. What I wouldn't give to get some of that 43-39 action followed by a 1st round playoff exit year after year. :roll:

What's getting old is a hand full of posters here acting like that own this board telling others what is getting old.

Lets face it. Gil makes it easy to bitch about him. I've read and seen a lot of things recently that made we start to believe in a better more mature Gil. Now we have 2 things that make me question that. It's not a deal breaker but it's not a good trend. There are reasons he could have missed that we don't understand. Lets hope it's one of those because if it's just Gil being the old Gil, that would suck.

The last one was that. EG and Tapps didn't seem to know Gil wasn't going to play that last Cle game but then they probably talked him into playing. Problem for us as fans is we don't know what we have in him yet. Physically or mentally. I think that just gets people pissed off because they are frustrated.

+1

Frustated was all I felt when I posted that.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards