ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread VIII: 4/21/09 - 6/25/09

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: Official Trade Thread VIII (Visitors Post Trades HERE!) 

Post#81 » by miller31time » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:35 pm

How about this trade....

Antawn Jamison, Nick Young and Darius Songaila

for

Kenyon Martin, JR Smith, Denver 1st round pick

Out starting lineup gets more defense-oriented and we add one of the most lethal scoring threats off the bench in Smith (or maybe he would start) who also happens to be a competent defender.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,651

Post#82 » by pancakes3 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:57 pm

I think we would have to toss in OUR first round pick for Denver to even consider that trade.
Bullets -> Wizards
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,617

Post#83 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:11 pm

pancakes3 wrote:I think we would have to toss in OUR first round pick for Denver to even consider that trade.

Yeah, Denver is looking real good right now. I don't see them making a major move like this.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#84 » by miller31time » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:15 pm

pancakes3 wrote:I think we would have to toss in OUR first round pick for Denver to even consider that trade.

Even if we assume they get knocked out in the 2nd round?

I can understand them not including their 1st rounder but would we really need to add our 1st round pick? Seriously? Jamison >> Martin, Smith >> Young, seems to balance out.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#85 » by LyricalRico » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:40 pm

^ I don't think Jamison is ">>" better than a new healthy KMart, especially considering age/contract. Martin is one of the keys to Denver's defensive resurgence (just look at how he's been handling West) and Jamison would just make them revert back to their old offense-only ways.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#86 » by rsavaj » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:18 am

Any interest in Jason Richardson?
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#87 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:19 am

miller31time wrote:How about this trade....

Antawn Jamison, Nick Young and Darius Songaila

for

Kenyon Martin, JR Smith, Denver 1st round pick

Out starting lineup gets more defense-oriented and we add one of the most lethal scoring threats off the bench in Smith (or maybe he would start) who also happens to be a competent defender.

Denver would not do that trade. Martin is the anchor of their defense and JR Smith is one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#88 » by LyricalRico » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:18 am

rsavaj wrote:Any interest in Jason Richardson?

I have thought about him. He's a great athlete, decent defender, and he has history with Jamison and Arenas. But if we're going to trade for an SG, I would think that we'd go after guys like Hamilton or Carter with more playoff experience first.
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#89 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:08 am

We probably are going to pull a boston and dump guys like Songaila and Stevenson plus our pick (3-5) to a team with SG with playoff experience who is decent like RIco said. Vince Carter i would not mind but the problem is his contract, same with Hamilton who signed an extension.

Contracts aside:
Wizards trade: Songaila + Stevenson + James/Thomas + 09 1st (3-5)

Nets trade: Vince Carter + Filler (Sean Williams?)

Arenas/Critt
Carter/Young
Butler/McGuire
Jamison/Blatche/Williams?
Haywood/McGee

Thats a contending team IMO
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#90 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:16 am

This is an interesting trade I thought of:

Sixers trade:
C Samuel Dalembert
F/C Jason Smith
17th pick

Wizards trade:
C Brendan Haywood
SG Deshawn Stevenson
PG Javaris Crittenton

Why for Sixers:
Swapping Shotblocking for interior defense. Haywood/Brand would hopefully clog the lanes and bring interior toughness in the middle. Basically, looking to stop the ball rather then block shots.
Deshawn Stevenson adds depth to the wingman spot for the Sixers where it's severely lacking, and he brings defense to the table as well. Further building their high octane style.

Jav was Young's team-mate at Georgia tech. And it's hopeful that Jav and his quickness can develop into the future PG for the Sixers.

Why for the Wizards: The first perk is the shotblocking of a Samuel Dalembert. Yes, sometimes Daly makes boneheaded plays. But when he's on, he's on. And he might be motivated in a new place. The second perk is health. Dalembert is a part of the overwhelmingly healthy Philadelphia Sixers. As he, Iguodala and Miller have virtually started every game together. Pistons-like health.

But the biggest perk deals with the draft. Some among you have considered trading the pick. Since Griffin would be gone and Rubio doesn't fit on a team with Arenas at PG. But that's where Deshawn leaving comes in. You can slide Arenas to the 2 guard and have Rubio at the one.

Imagine the quickness of these two 6 foot guards, and imagine Rubio's defensive prowness. Arenas/Rubio would run teams out of the gym. Given Jamison, Butler and Daly for oops and the Wizards offense is BACK.

You also get the 17th pick as incentive.

So basically you get:

-Shotblocking
-health at the front court.
-Ability to be able to have Rubio.

What do you think?
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 385

Post#91 » by Benjammin » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:17 am

^^^Proposed deal from 76ers fan on bottom of page 6

There is precious little there to interest the Wizards because Haywood is more valuable to them than Dalembert and Haywood is on a better deal. Getting rid of Stevenson is nice, as is getting the 17th pick. Jason Smith means nothing in the deal and in your credit you did not try to sell him as valuable. Losing Crit is not a huge thing for the Wizards.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#92 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:32 am

Haywood is most definstely on a better deal. The hope is a new place gets Daly playing back at 2004 levels. Actually, one of the reasons he hasn't is the coaching staff told him to choose his blocks, for fear of goaltending. Goaltending IMO, you can't control that. I'd like Daly to go back to swatting everything and anything.

But the key to that trade IMO, is that it allows you to have that Rubio/Arenas back-court. Let's face it: Arenas is a 2 anyway, and Rubio has the defense to guard shooting guards in this league.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#93 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:37 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Haywood is most definstely on a better deal. The hope is a new place gets Daly playing back at 2004 levels. Actually, one of the reasons he hasn't is the coaching staff told him to choose his blocks, for fear of goaltending. Goaltending IMO, you can't control that. I'd like Daly to go back to swatting everything and anything.

But the key to that trade IMO, is that it allows you to have that Rubio/Arenas back-court. Let's face it: Arenas is a 2 anyway, and Rubio has the defense to guard shooting guards in this league.

?

How does this help us have a Rubio/Arenas backcourt? If we draft Rubio, we'll have a Rubio/Arenas backcourt regardless of what other trades are made. We can find other ways to dump Crittenton if we feel his presence would be redundant.

The bottom line is that we think Haywood is better than Dalembert (or at least equally as good) and he costs half as much. Health isn't a problem either. Haywood plays 77+ games every year with the exception of this past season. And his recent injury was his wrist - something we don't expect to be a chronic problem.

I give you credit for at least acknowledging that Haywood has more trade value than Dalembert by throwing in the 17th pick, but the trade still doesn't make sense for the Wizards.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#94 » by pancakes3 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:42 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
rsavaj wrote:Any interest in Jason Richardson?

I have thought about him. He's a great athlete, decent defender, and he has history with Jamison and Arenas. But if we're going to trade for an SG, I would think that we'd go after guys like Hamilton or Carter with more playoff experience first.

Vince is hella-expensive. Hamilton is nice but Richardson's size and 3-ball i think trumps "playoff experience" in this case. I'm actually very interested in Richardson. I just don't know what kind of deal we can put together that would bring him here while keeping it fair both cash-wise and talent-wise.

Thabeet + Etan + Songaila/Stevenson?

(bracing myself for nate's lecture on luxtax. additional 15-20 mil over the next 2 years and an inability to resign haywood?)

EFF it, i say. pull the trigger pollin. if it doesn't work then blow it up in 2011 by not resigning JR or Butler and dealing arenas.
Bullets -> Wizards
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#95 » by hands11 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:05 pm

AgentOvechkin08 wrote:We probably are going to pull a boston and dump guys like Songaila and Stevenson plus our pick (3-5) to a team with SG with playoff experience who is decent like RIco said. Vince Carter i would not mind but the problem is his contract, same with Hamilton who signed an extension.

Contracts aside:
Wizards trade: Songaila + Stevenson + James/Thomas + 09 1st (3-5)

Nets trade: Vince Carter + Filler (Sean Williams?)

Arenas/Critt
Carter/Young
Butler/McGuire
Jamison/Blatche/Williams?
Haywood/McGee

Thats a contending team IMO

This is the kind of thing that could happen if we make a trade. You have the AJ / Vince connection. Vince is getting on down the road and wants to win something before it's all over. This is the kind of player you want to bring on board if you want to go for it all next year.

Vince add a long ball shooter who can drive and who can take a shot in prime time ala PP while GA runs the PG. That would be a dangerous starting line up except to really make is a sick line up for the playoffs, you move CB or AJ to 6th man. But we would still need that vet back up PG. It will be hard to keep Sam on the bench if we got that fair and Crit wasn't getting it done.

But I would hate to loss DSong at this stage of the game until we have someone else like him step up. But nothing is ever perfect.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#96 » by fishercob » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:11 pm

I'm all for exceeding the luxtax to build a winner, but let's not confuse a big salary with actual value.

Check out this career comparison between Richardson, and the much-maligned Barbosa:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/ ... i?id=PjSjY

For their careers, Richardson as a PER of 16.9 to Barbosa's 16.2 Richardson has a worse TS% and it's not close (.582 to .524). They score the same amount and Barbosa is the **better** three point shooter.

Now, lets look at least year, shall we?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/ ... i?id=LcAYc

Barbosa crushed Richardson in PER 19.7 to 16.7, had a better TS% and scored more per 36 minutes. He's simply the better player. Thrown in the fact that he's two years younger and makes HALF of what Richardson does, and it's simply impossible to convince me that Richardson's a smart investment for this team.

For the money we'd pay Richardson, we could have Barbosa and Childress. CHildress is a much better fit with our starting group, because he's so efficient and low usage. Richardson would screw all that up.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#97 » by LyricalRico » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:43 pm

AgentOvechkin08 wrote:We probably are going to pull a boston and dump guys like Songaila and Stevenson plus our pick (3-5) to a team with SG with playoff experience who is decent like RIco said.

I would guess the package is going to include Blatche instead of Songaila, otherwise they'd be loft with no reliable big man backups. I also think they want to keep Mike James and Crittenton. Maybe Nick Young gets included but I think he started to show at the end of the season that he can grow up moreso than Blatche can.

Etan+Stevenson+Blatche+pick

That's what I think Ernie will be offering teams when he calls. My first choice is Rip Hamilton. He's got a ring, he knows Flips system, and he's signed longterm. And for those worried about his contract, even with his extension he'll average less than $12M per season for the next 4 years.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#98 » by pancakes3 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:18 pm

^ i think "pulling a boston" means that we need a prospect like Al Jefferson. we would have to pull an "LA" and give up garbage in exchange for Gasol-esque talent.
Bullets -> Wizards
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#99 » by fishercob » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:11 pm

pancakes3 wrote:^ i think "pulling a boston" means that we need a prospect like Al Jefferson. we would have to pull an "LA" and give up garbage in exchange for Gasol-esque talent.

Boston gave up a year of salary relief (Wally's contract was a year shorter than Allen's), Delonte West and Jeff Green for Ray Allen. We'll have a package at least that attractive.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#100 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:15 pm

I still like Hinrich, Miller and Childress as a veteran addition more so than Carter, Richardson or Hamilton. I think they're better fits and they're certainly better values. Also, acquiring them won't involve us giving up Young or Blatche.

Heck, Childress is probably "found money" for Atlanta. We could probably just trade Etan + #3 for Childress and #19. I'd bet Atlanta would be thrilled to move up to #3 with it costing them virtually nothing. I'd love it if we could get them to absorb Stevenson in the trade

Return to Washington Wizards