ImageImageImageImageImage

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Poll ended at Mon May 25, 2009 2:07 am

A. Trade the pick
46%
B. Draft Best Player Available (No preference)
5%
C. Draft Evans
10%
D. Draft Harden
16%
E. Draft Curry
7%
F. Draft DEJUAN BLAIR (CCJ's Advice)
3%
G. Draft Hill
8%
H. Draft ___________ (Your preference)
6%

Total votes: 106

ToneSetter7
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick? 

Post#21 » by ToneSetter7 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:40 am

I say trade the pick and players for a vet, in-his-prime sg or pf, preferrably a sg. I know, easier said than done. But try like hell. Whoever we draft at that spot probably wouldn't make a relevant dent for atleast 3 years, given our current personnel and the potential player drafted.
Ced67
Senior

Post#22 » by Ced67 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:40 am

ptown wrote:Gotta go with Tyreke Evans. The size of a shooting guard with vision and handles of a PG. Perfect compliment to Arenas. His only real weakness is his lack of a jump shot, but that's covered by Arenas, Butler and Jamison. He has a 6'11 wingspan and huge hands. He's loaded with potential, but he'll contribute right away. He and Arenas will both just be guards and share the ball-handling responsibilities.

Maybe in the Princeton with Eddie, but not with Flip Saunders, he's already stated that he needs a PG for his system, I guess its gonna be Arenas.
"We kept acquiring projects. Nick is a project. JaVale is a project. Javaris is a project. Eventually when you have enough projects, you live in the 'hood." --Gilbert Arenas

john2jer wrote:Only way we trade [Delonte] West is if Paul, Howard, or Kobe is coming back.
ToneSetter7
Ballboy

Post#23 » by ToneSetter7 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:48 am

Ji wrote:with the 5th pick..we should just fold the franchise

That made me laugh out loud.
Pitbull
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#24 » by Pitbull » Wed May 20, 2009 2:56 am

Is there anything we can swing with the Grizzlies to move up to the 2nd pick and grab Rubio? #5, one of our youngsters (Blatche?), and........? Hmmm... Seems like a stretch. If we do trade, it'll have to be for an established, non-All Star player.
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#25 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:56 am

I like Derozan, because of his potential (whats new)

We do need a shooting guard like anything.
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#26 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:01 am

What about drafting Derozan at 5

packaging him along with 2010 exprings Etan Thomas and Mike James, and Stevenson

For

Joe Johnson

would that be enough

We would have to give him a good contract extension

But the lineup of

Arenas/Critt/2nd rounder
Johnson/Young
Butler/McGuire
Jamison/Blatche/Songaila
Haywood/McGee

that looks so nice
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,481

Post#27 » by steger_3434 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:04 am

Any chance you guys would want to do a 5/Thomas/James for Redd?
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#28 » by hands11 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:07 am

miller31time wrote:We're a veteran team. We will have little use for any more young talent.

We need a two-way veteran shooting guard.

Trade the pick and expirings for a player like Hamilton or Carter.

It's no Blake Griffin but it is adding All-Star-caliber talent to an already talented roster.

After making that trade, see if we can turn Jamison into a defensive power forward like Kirilenko.

It would basically be Washington doing a Celtics-esque rebuilding-on-the-fly move.

Arenas
Hamilton/Carter
Butler
Kirilenko
Haywood

I dunno....I'm not even thinking straight right now. So pissed.

I would agree EG will be working hard to finalize his veteran line up so we can make a run next year. If it's not a trade for a vet, then whoever we bring in has to be mature and do some thing really well while their game matures.

What we don't need is a young player who has lots of upside but does nothing really solid.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#29 » by miller31time » Wed May 20, 2009 3:11 am

hands11 wrote:What we don't need is a young player who has lots of upside but does nothing really solid.

You're absolutely right. A player like Derozan or Evans would be the exact opposite of what the Wizards need, if indeed we keep the pick.
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:12 am

steger_3434 wrote:Any chance you guys would want to do a 5/Thomas/James for Redd?

That would be intriguing but...Redd has had trouble staying healthy and that is the last thing we need is an injury prone vet
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

Pitbull
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#31 » by Pitbull » Wed May 20, 2009 3:16 am

Hmmm... If the Grizz draft Rubio, does that make Conley available? Assuming the numbers can be figured out, how would a Conley/Blatche swap with incidentals work out?

Then draft Harden or Blair with the fifth pick.

Conley
Arenas/Harden
Butler/McGuire
Jamison
Haywood/McGee
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by miller31time » Wed May 20, 2009 3:18 am

AgentOvechkin08 wrote:
steger_3434 wrote:Any chance you guys would want to do a 5/Thomas/James for Redd?

That would be intriguing but...Redd has had trouble staying healthy and that is the last thing we need is an injury prone vet

Injury-risk isn't the thing that scares me most about Redd - it's his defense.

We can't afford to add another weak defensive player to our roster, no matter how talented he is on offense (and Redd is a special talent on that side of the floor).

That's why I'd much rather pursue a Rip Hamilton (who is slightly above-average on defense) or Vince Carter (who is average).
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#33 » by revprodeji » Wed May 20, 2009 3:23 am

Mike Miller and the wolves could be an option. Vet with very good known offensive skills. Decent defensive skills. Enjoys a point-fwd role and a shooter role. Could fit nice with Arenas.

And if it does not work he is an expiring.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#34 » by P'Oed » Wed May 20, 2009 3:29 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:From the other thread before it was locked, I say Ji, most folks already think I'm a bit crazy. Admittedly, Blair will be considered a bad idea. But I've been right about Boozer, Millsap, and a whole bunch of lesser guys.

Tonesetter, your post was very compelling as well. Blair as next Mike Sweetney is very possible. My biggest miss ever IMO was Sweetney. But if you look at his stats at both Chicago and New York, it was the fat and not his game that took him out the league.

Tonesetter, you said that at 6'6" Blair's big boy stuff isn't going to work in the NBA. You are probably saying the same thing 80%-90% of everybody else is saying. Personally, my perspective as a guy who has a BS in math and who's followed hoops for a long time; and as a guy who can read people pretty well is that BLAIR WINS GAMES!!!!! The stuff he does on the boards and defensively WILL TRANSLATE to the NBA. I love the numbers he put up in college. Efficiency, PER, and rebounds/40 were completely SICK! (Also contributed in high Points/possesion and points/40) What else do I like about Blair?

--He's just as tall as Millsap
--He rebounds as well or better than Kevin Love
--Blair's not just freakish at rebounding, he's also very good at stripping the ball. I view him as a huge upgrade over Chuck Hayes.
--Most of all: Blair is going to be sneaky good at converting missed shots for points.

I'm old enough to remember watching Wes Unseld. I see Blair as a combination of Unseld and Millsap. Blair will be a BETTER rebounder the Millsap.

What I love about Blair is teams he's on seem to win a lot.

AND AS FOR HIS WEIGHT: I remember Bob Knight kicked Barkley off an Olympic squad because he thought Barkley was too fat. IIRC Barkley weighed 280 while at Auburn. Charles Barkley and Carlos Boozer are two guys who IMO slimmed down and cut up.

I see Blair doing the same because I just don't think he's of the same passive mindset as Sweetney.

The REAL CONCERN I have for Blair is the ACL surgeries he had in HS. Therefore, the best bet would be to trade with the team that drafts Blair in the 12-20 range.

great. An undersized fat guy who is "tough" and plays with a lot of "energy" and basketball IQ. Sounds like...

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by miller31time » Wed May 20, 2009 3:31 am

I do love myself some Dave Neal.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by miller31time » Wed May 20, 2009 3:33 am

revprodeji wrote:Mike Miller and the wolves could be an option. Vet with very good known offensive skills. Decent defensive skills. Enjoys a point-fwd role and a shooter role. Could fit nice with Arenas.

And if it does not work he is an expiring.

This doesn't have any factual basis and may even seem illogical but Miller just doesn't appear to be an impact player. He is a well-rounded player but adding him just doesn't feel like you're adding a player the caliber of a Richard Hamilton or even Kirk Hinrich.
tsvqt
Veteran
And1: 22

Post#37 » by tsvqt » Wed May 20, 2009 3:44 am

I think Detroit is our best trade partner. How would a #5, Jamison, Stevenson, and Blatche for Hamilton, Bynum, and Maxiel, and #15 work out?.......with #15, we select Blair.

Arenas, Crittenton, Bynum
Hamilton, Young
Butler, McGuire
Maxiel, Blair, (Songalia)
Haywood, Mcgee, Thomas
(Maxiel and Blair aren't big PF's, but they would be beast on the boards...and give you toughness)
Looking at it on paper though, there's no low post threats to throw the ball into and command double teams......never mind....we're still a team that would be hurting down low. :(
Carlos Boozer anyone???

OF COURSE MY FIRST CHOICE IS SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY...getting AMARE STOUDAMIRE!!!....now that we are NOT getting BLAKE GRIFFIN (tears are flowing).
Retired Air Force
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#38 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 20, 2009 4:02 am

P'Oed wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:From the other thread before it was locked, I say Ji, most folks already think I'm a bit crazy. Admittedly, Blair will be considered a bad idea. But I've been right about Boozer, Millsap, and a whole bunch of lesser guys.

Tonesetter, your post was very compelling as well. Blair as next Mike Sweetney is very possible. My biggest miss ever IMO was Sweetney. But if you look at his stats at both Chicago and New York, it was the fat and not his game that took him out the league.

Tonesetter, you said that at 6'6" Blair's big boy stuff isn't going to work in the NBA. You are probably saying the same thing 80%-90% of everybody else is saying. Personally, my perspective as a guy who has a BS in math and who's followed hoops for a long time; and as a guy who can read people pretty well is that BLAIR WINS GAMES!!!!! The stuff he does on the boards and defensively WILL TRANSLATE to the NBA. I love the numbers he put up in college. Efficiency, PER, and rebounds/40 were completely SICK! (Also contributed in high Points/possesion and points/40) What else do I like about Blair?

--He's just as tall as Millsap
--He rebounds as well or better than Kevin Love
--Blair's not just freakish at rebounding, he's also very good at stripping the ball. I view him as a huge upgrade over Chuck Hayes.
--Most of all: Blair is going to be sneaky good at converting missed shots for points.

I'm old enough to remember watching Wes Unseld. I see Blair as a combination of Unseld and Millsap. Blair will be a BETTER rebounder the Millsap.

What I love about Blair is teams he's on seem to win a lot.

AND AS FOR HIS WEIGHT: I remember Bob Knight kicked Barkley off an Olympic squad because he thought Barkley was too fat. IIRC Barkley weighed 280 while at Auburn. Charles Barkley and Carlos Boozer are two guys who IMO slimmed down and cut up.

I see Blair doing the same because I just don't think he's of the same passive mindset as Sweetney.

The REAL CONCERN I have for Blair is the ACL surgeries he had in HS. Therefore, the best bet would be to trade with the team that drafts Blair in the 12-20 range.

great. An undersized fat guy who is "tough" and plays with a lot of "energy" and basketball IQ. Sounds like...

I'm not Eddie Jordan, P'Oed.

I don't mistake activity and toughness or "force" with effectiveness. I'm all about production and metrics over time.

This is what Blair did in the NCAAs.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeJuan-Blair-5049/

Code: Select all

Top 25s - Full List
Rank Category Total
1 PER 38.9
11 EFF 25.5
3 EFF/40 35.6
1 WS/40 21.8
21 Pts/Pos 1.25
23 Pts/40p 23
25 Pts/40 23
4 Reb/g 12.3
2 Reb/40p 18
2 Reb/40 18.1

Win Score and PER, #1. In the nation. As was Pitt for several weeks. Blair isn't just tough. Rebounds #2, in the nation. 23 points and 18 rebounds per 40 minutes. Didn't play many minutes at PITT, but will be an extremely effective situational sub and eventually a solid starter in the NBA.

Before PITT

posting.php?mode=quote&f=35&p=19546974

Played on USA Junior All-Star squad that toured Europe ...Earned MVP honors after scoring 25 points and grabbing 16 rebounds for Team USA in the title game vs. Russia (played in France)...

Named the Associated Press Pennsylvania State Player of the Year and First Team All-State for the second consecutive season

Scored 18 points, grabbed 23 rebounds and blocked six shots in leading Schenley to the state title with a 78-71 win over Chester...

Owns a 7-foot-2-inch wingspan..

...Favorite player is Shaquille O'Neal and favorite book is the Biography of Shaquille O'Neal...Models his game after Charles Barkle

BOTTOM LINE: Just wait til the season starts and see how good Blair is. Wouldn't surprise me if he morphs into a SF/PF tweener; similarly to Barkley before all is said and done.

I watch how effective Darius is at maybe two inches taller but floorbound and horrible on the boards and KNOW Blair sets better screens, defends the same way but better, and is similarly determined and hard nosed but WAY stronger than Darius.

I will be very shocked if Blair ISN'T a great pro one day.
Bye bye Beal.
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#39 » by P'Oed » Wed May 20, 2009 4:03 am

would Rip even WANT to come back here? I mean, I guess it's not his decision to make but for some reason I think coming back here to finish his career would be so depressing for him.

I've typed up about 5 drafts when trying to post what I think we should do right now but man, this is just a huge punch to the gut. The road to an NBA Championship is so damn long and it feels like the construction crew just began work on paving another long stretch for us. Do we go after Bosh and get rid of Jamison? Do we try to snag a foagie like Vince Carter and hope that it works? Hell, do we keep the pick and hope we struck gold with some unexpected talent? I just don't know and for my money, I don't think Grunfeld does either. We have $111 million tied up into a guy who's knee could be jello for all we know. We have a bunch of erratic, inconsistent young guys who flail around like they just learned the game yesterday and then come back and score 30 the next night. We have a coach who sounds like he's a bigger pushover than Eric Cartman's mom....how are we expected to keep being fans and supporting a team like this? Get it done for Abe. The guy has given this city so much. It's time to give him something back before his time is up.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#40 » by no D in Hibachi » Wed May 20, 2009 4:08 am

Ji wrote:with the 5th pick..we should just fold the franchise

Winner!

Return to Washington Wizards