ImageImageImageImageImage

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Poll ended at Mon May 25, 2009 2:07 am

A. Trade the pick
46%
B. Draft Best Player Available (No preference)
5%
C. Draft Evans
10%
D. Draft Harden
16%
E. Draft Curry
7%
F. Draft DEJUAN BLAIR (CCJ's Advice)
3%
G. Draft Hill
8%
H. Draft ___________ (Your preference)
6%

Total votes: 106

MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Re: What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick? 

Post#361 » by MJG » Fri May 22, 2009 5:30 pm

rsavaj wrote:Theoretically speaking, would you guys do #5 for 14+16?

Ignoring value, we really don't have the roster space to do any X for X+1 trades, so that probably kills it right there.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#362 » by WizarDynasty » Fri May 22, 2009 5:45 pm

DaRealHibachi wrote:
WizarDynasty wrote:One legged vertical is highly related to finishing at the rim while dribbling....its what makes kobe lebron chris paul ... Without having explosive one leg vertical...you can't be acrobactic and finsih at the rim when beating someone off the dribble. Rubio from footage I have seen has a very poor one legged vertical. Don't know yet about lawson. Blatche and mcgee don't have exceptional one leg vertical. Only two player on this team that have them are arenas and nick young..and we have seen nick beat someone off the dribble and hit reverse dunks....they measure this ability in predraft for the last 9 years so your in luck. :aving long arms helps in this department with big hands. Don't know how big lawson or rubios hands are but rajon rondo has gigantic hands that allow u to palm the ball which isn't measured in the combines. So the lil guy commenting on lateral quickness and wingspan...get with the program...these are all crucial categories when comparing player potential...each measurement translates to performance on bball court longterm and if u are a true realgm and not a novice poster u would be highly interested in how players compare on measurements since its your job to build a dynasty and outwit the eastern conference playoff gms..especially cleveland and orlando.

For every "stat" you name, there's players who were much above average with the limit physical traits you use... I'll say it again, if course these stats can help, but they shouldn't be a basis for an argument...

Kwame Brown had excellent measurements, look what happened to him... McGee can still be a beast, but dude can't defend or hold his position, Nick Young is a perfect 2 physically, but lacks bball IQ... Blatche has the perfect package, but lacks work ethic... Arenas has the physical traits to play D, but he doesn't... According to your logic, Haywood is slow or whatever you said he was, but he gets the job done...Butler is undersized, short wingspan, slow latteral and whatever you say he is, but is an average defender...

So, Mr selfproclaimed True RealGM (lol), you need to get with a new program... Yours isn't working...

Don't ever use kwame...signs were there jordan was dumb. If u have a bigman that can't palm the ball you don't draft. Butler is a 6"5 w/o shoes front court player that's not athletic. Arenas always had poor lateral agility timing which is why he fell in the draft. Nick young is in his second year and is better defender than butler and nick also had EJ as his coach...haywood can not be relied on to score in the post when u need a bucket. You my friend ...have mediocre standards which is not the trait for a team that wants to win a championship. You gotta ways to go before u step into the wiz realgm ring...I suggest u study championship teams and their measurables to get your weight up.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#363 » by miller31time » Fri May 22, 2009 5:57 pm

You're saying Kwame Brown wasn't the consensus #1 pick in the draft at that time? Because that just isn't true.

Did it turn out to be a good pick? No, of course not, but let's not act like most GMs wouldn't have done the same thing.
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#364 » by WizarDynasty » Fri May 22, 2009 6:14 pm

miller31time wrote:You're saying Kwame Brown wasn't the consensus #1 pick in the draft at that time? Because that just isn't true.

Did it turn out to be a good pick? No, of course not, but let's not act like most GMs wouldn't have done the same thing.

Any smart gm would have been alarmed at a seven footer that couldn't not palm the ball. Any gm that meausured kwame should have noticed his unusually small hands. Extremely unusual for a seven footer to not be able to palm the ball...so a good gm...which most gms aren't... Would not have rated him that highly. The good gms would have secretly understood the link between small hands and being able to execute one handed offensive moves and gripping the basketball. Jordan was dumb when it came to understanding bigman potential and. what traits are critical for a bigman.
So again a good gm who was familiar with traits needed for a bigman would have been shocked that a seven footer couldn't palm a basketball.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,643

Post#365 » by pancakes3 » Fri May 22, 2009 6:34 pm

my attempt to broker peace:

I agree with WizD that there are a lot of pre-draft measurables that are conducive to evaluating talent - wingspan, agility, ball palmability, etc. and that they have to be taken into consideration when making a draft decision. These measurables could even be used to evaluate rookies and sophomores in term of potential, longterm.

What I've identified as the main area of contention between WizD and most posters is that WizD, you like to take the these biometrics to the grave. At some point you have to throw your hands up in the air and say wingspan be damned, this boy can play. This is most often most riotous in discussions of Caron Butler. You keep posting physical limitations of butler such as height, reach, etc. and others retaliate with game-resulting stats such as PERs, +/-'s and splits. Nobody can argue that Butler is undersized and doesn't have an albatross's span, but you can't really argue that Butler is inept as a player and not a top 10 sf.

The one-legged/two-legged hops is actually a measurement that has legs. Football coaches have long debated one-footed cutters and two-footed cutters amongst running backs - barry sanders being an anomaly of being faster two-footed than most players one-footed (all about economizing steps). one-legged hops use more calf muscles and the two footed jump uses more quad muscles. i'm not so sure how anyone could uniformly quantify this in a workout, but there definitely is a difference.
Bullets -> Wizards
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#366 » by Ruzious » Fri May 22, 2009 6:38 pm

WizarDynasty wrote: Don't ever use kwame...signs were there jordan was dumb. If u have a bigman that can't palm the ball you don't draft. Butler is a 6"5 w/o shoes front court player that's not athletic. Arenas always had poor lateral agility timing which is why he fell in the draft. Nick young is in his second year and is better defender than butler and nick also had EJ as his coach...haywood can not be relied on to score in the post when u need a bucket. You my friend ...have mediocre standards which is not the trait for a team that wants to win a championship. You gotta ways to go before u step into the wiz realgm ring...I suggest u study championship teams and their measurables to get your weight up.

It's become a joke as to how many things you point to as facts that are just wrong. It's probably 50 times that you've intentionally posted Butler's size wrong. Arenas was drafted low because he had a bad back in college, and he was an under-sized shooting guard. Jason Gardener was Arizona's point guard. That trash talking might be cute, but when you have negative credibility, it's laughable.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,813

Post#367 » by Rafael122 » Fri May 22, 2009 6:39 pm

rsavaj wrote:Theoretically speaking, would you guys do #5 for 14+16?

Only if you take a contract back, and give us your trade kicker which I believe you got from Seattle.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
ritt0093
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#368 » by ritt0093 » Fri May 22, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi everyone,
I am not that familiar with the Wizards organizatoin, but i wanted to ask if you would be open to the following trade proposal.

MIN gives/WAS receives:
Craig Smith
Mike Miller
Randy Foye
18th pick

WAS gives/MIN receives:
J. McGee
M. James
E. Thomas
5th pick

Why for WAS: They get much better expiring contract players. I know they need a SG and both Foye and Miller fit that bill. They also can both play other positions bringing much needed flexibility. Smith is a rhino down low at the PF position. These three players would be strong contributors, especially under Saunder's jump shot first offense. All three players are expiring contracts so WAS would keep flexibility for 2010.

Why for MIN: I don't believe that Smith, Miller or Foye will be part of the long term plan in Minny. We have too many PFs (Love and Jefferson), and a glut at the wings of mediocre talent (Miller, Gomes, Foye, Brewer, Cardinal, not to mention that people want to add draft picks here). This deal would give MN a chance at getting a big body to go well with Jefferson and Love, and get a high draft pick to help make over the back court.
crackhed
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#369 » by crackhed » Fri May 22, 2009 6:48 pm

sub pech for j.mcgee and u have a deal
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the kind of man I am"
H. Simpson
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#370 » by yungal07 » Fri May 22, 2009 6:56 pm

ritt0093 wrote:Hi everyone,
I am not that familiar with the Wizards organizatoin, but i wanted to ask if you would be open to the following trade proposal.

MIN gives/WAS receives:
Craig Smith
Mike Miller
Randy Foye
18th pick

WAS gives/MIN receives:
J. McGee
M. James
E. Thomas
5th pick

Why for WAS: They get much better expiring contract players. I know they need a SG and both Foye and Miller fit that bill. They also can both play other positions bringing much needed flexibility. Smith is a rhino down low at the PF position. These three players would be strong contributors, especially under Saunder's jump shot first offense. All three players are expiring contracts so WAS would keep flexibility for 2010.

Why for MIN: I don't believe that Smith, Miller or Foye will be part of the long term plan in Minny. We have too many PFs (Love and Jefferson), and a glut at the wings of mediocre talent (Miller, Gomes, Foye, Brewer, Cardinal, not to mention that people want to add draft picks here). This deal would give MN a chance at getting a big body to go well with Jefferson and Love, and get a high draft pick to help make over the back court.

Completely pointless for the Wiz. No one we get in return is remotely worth the #5 pick nor McGee. Replace Craig Smith with Kevin Love and maybe it's doable, but even then I'd still probably turn it down. You have to give up something to get something bruh.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#371 » by LyricalRico » Fri May 22, 2009 7:29 pm

^ If there's somebody at 5 that Minny wants, would they swap Miller for Etan Thomas to move up one spot?
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#372 » by Ji » Fri May 22, 2009 7:34 pm

Just got a twitter from bullets forever…he says the rumor about Mcgee is sooo false and the wiz think he can be a multiple all star. They also hate James Harden who they saw lacks athleticism, ball handling and explosiveness. If we don’t trade the pick..hello Hill or Curry or Evans!

Harden is a basketball player period. This is disappointing
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#373 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:43 pm

Curry is nice and all with pretty good athleticism and terrific shot, but he will have to play PG in the nba, and I DONT want him as a PG on this team. He would get murdered on D, he is just too undersized. We dont have a pressing need for an undersized SG trying to play point on our team.

We need a better SG because NY should come off the bench and Stevenson should not be in the NBA nor the D-League.
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
Pradamaster
Sophomore

Post#374 » by Pradamaster » Fri May 22, 2009 7:44 pm

Ji wrote:Just got a twitter from bullets forever…he says the rumor about Mcgee is sooo false and the wiz think he can be a multiple all star. They also hate James Harden who they saw lacks athleticism, ball handling and explosiveness. If we don’t trade the pick..hello Hill or Curry or Evans!

Harden is a basketball player period. This is disappointing

Believe that was Mike Jones of the Times who said that. We just threw a FanShot up about it that automatically goes on our Twitter account.
Bullets Forever webmaster.

www.bulletsforever.com
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#375 » by DaRealHibachi » Fri May 22, 2009 7:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:
WizarDynasty wrote: Don't ever use kwame...signs were there jordan was dumb. If u have a bigman that can't palm the ball you don't draft. Butler is a 6"5 w/o shoes front court player that's not athletic. Arenas always had poor lateral agility timing which is why he fell in the draft. Nick young is in his second year and is better defender than butler and nick also had EJ as his coach...haywood can not be relied on to score in the post when u need a bucket. You my friend ...have mediocre standards which is not the trait for a team that wants to win a championship. You gotta ways to go before u step into the wiz realgm ring...I suggest u study championship teams and their measurables to get your weight up.

It's become a joke as to how many things you point to as facts that are just wrong. It's probably 50 times that you've intentionally posted Butler's size wrong. Arenas was drafted low because he had a bad back in college, and he was an under-sized shooting guard. Jason Gardener was Arizona's point guard. That trash talking might be cute, but when you have negative credibility, it's laughable.

WizD is a funny dude... Can't face facts, always brings that "better than thou" BS... It's gettin old...
:beer: Magnumt
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#376 » by WizarDynasty » Fri May 22, 2009 7:54 pm

What I've identified as the main area of contention between WizD and most posters is that WizD, you like to take the these biometrics to the grave. At some point you have to throw your hands up in the air and say wingspan be damned, this boy can play. This is most often most riotous in discussions of Caron Butler. You keep posting physical limitations of butler such as height, reach, etc. and others retaliate with game-resulting stats such as PERs, +/-'s and splits. Nobody can argue that Butler is undersized and doesn't have an albatross's span, but you can't really argue that Butler is inept as a player and not a top 10 sf.

1. Lebron James, 2. Paul Pierce, 3. Hedo Turkoglu 4. Ron Artest 5. Carmelo Anthony 6. Danny Granger 7. Kevin Durant 8. John Salmons 9. Andre Iguodala 10. Richard Jefferson 11. Luol Deng 12. Josh Smith 13. Rashard Lewis 14. Vince Carter --not mention Stephen Jackson, Tayshaun Prince, Josh Howard, Joe Johnson, Gerald Wallace, Shane Battier, and Rudy Gay. All players who are better defenders than Butler.
top 10 s/f is pretty homer talk...and everyone in the league can play or they wouldn't have been drafted and signed for millions of dollars. Nearly all of these players i would want on my team starting the s/f spot over Butler...maybe not Wallace....but Josh Smith a better all around player at the s/f spot versus Caron Butler? Is Caron Butler a better offensive player than Richard Jefferson or Vince Carter? Almost all of the players i mentioned are better defenders than Butler on the defensive side..except maybe Joe Johnson and Richard Jefferson but Joe Johnson and Jefferson score similiar points at shoot better 3pt percentage. Then we mention that Butler is 6'5 w/o shoes and unathletic and things should really start to blow up.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#377 » by DaRealHibachi » Fri May 22, 2009 8:01 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:

Lebron James, Paul Pierce, Hedo Turkoglu, Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng, Richard Jefferson, Vince Carter, Stephen Jackson, Ron Artest, Carmelo Anthony, Josh Howard, Rashard Lewis, Joe Johnson. All players who are better overall players than 6'5 w/o shoes and unathletic caron butler. --I didn't even put shawn marion, Wilson Chandler, Shane Battier, Tayshaun Prince...all players who are better defenders than Butler.

Players on your list definitely not better than Butler atm;

Marvin Williams
Josh Smith
Loul Deng
Richard Jefferson
Stephen Jackson
Josh Howard

Get over yourself...
:beer: Magnumt
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#378 » by Soup's Uncle » Fri May 22, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm sorry, Luol Deng ain't better than Tough Juice.
F Street = Wall Street
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#379 » by WizarDynasty » Fri May 22, 2009 8:34 pm

Players on your list definitely not better than Butler atm;

Marvin Williams
Josh Smith
Loul Deng
Richard Jefferson
Stephen Jackson
Josh Howard

Get over yourself...

I think i figured it out. Defense, which is half of the game of basketball doesn't calculate when it comes to wizards fans rating their players. The fact that Marvin Williams
Josh Smith
Loul Deng
Stephen Jackson
Josh Howard
are all better defenders...means that you in your mind, Caron Butler offense makes up for him getting beat by these players on defense. Sounds like EJ thinking to me and then you factor in that even on offense butler isn't a post player standing 6'5 w/0 shoes and non-athletic as a starting front court player.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#380 » by yungal07 » Fri May 22, 2009 8:52 pm

Go to those respective teams' boards and ask their teams if they would rather have Butler or their player...just do it. Then you can get even more evidence of just how much of a nitwit you are....

Return to Washington Wizards