ImageImageImageImageImage

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Poll ended at Mon May 25, 2009 2:07 am

A. Trade the pick
46%
B. Draft Best Player Available (No preference)
5%
C. Draft Evans
10%
D. Draft Harden
16%
E. Draft Curry
7%
F. Draft DEJUAN BLAIR (CCJ's Advice)
3%
G. Draft Hill
8%
H. Draft ___________ (Your preference)
6%

Total votes: 106

FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Re: What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick? 

Post#401 » by FreeBalling » Sat May 23, 2009 2:02 am

Ji wrote:I remember in January, there were a ton of Jordan Hill fans even some who thought he was a better PF than Griffen...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009 ... our-090521

Ji I'm one of the 5%-ers who picked Hill, how could you not love a rebounding force on both ends of the court. He's got good body controll and playes with his face to the basket and he's a defensive presence .

Edit: He does need to work on his low post skills. Bring on the draft or get me Bosh.

The hole Rubio thing for McGee just reminded me of the C.Webb trade for a PG and we know how that turned out.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#402 » by LyricalRico » Sat May 23, 2009 2:13 am

FreeBalling wrote:The hole Rubio thing for McGee just reminded me of the C.Webb trade for a PG and we know how that turned out.

It actually worked out great for Orlando until Shaq left.
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#403 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Sat May 23, 2009 2:27 am

Would this be enough to lure OKC in a trade IF IF IF Thabeet goes to Memphis

Washington Trades: 5th Pick (Harden), 2010 1st (unprotected), Andray Blatche, Deshawn Stevenson

OKC Trades: 3rd Pick (Rubio), Nick Collison
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#404 » by Ji » Sat May 23, 2009 2:44 am

that trade is alot in my opinion..2 first rounders,Blatche and Stevenson for Rubio? wow...he better be a hall of fame for that price
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#405 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Sat May 23, 2009 3:40 am

Well because if they covet McGee and we arnt giving him up and Blatche might not be someone they are as high on, why not throw in a 1st rounder next year, it is probably going to be a late one (:D), and plus do we really need to add another young guy.

EDIT: Oh, and Rubio, he will be a fine player dont worry
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#406 » by LyricalRico » Sat May 23, 2009 3:47 am

AgentOvechkin08 wrote:Would this be enough to lure OKC in a trade IF IF IF Thabeet goes to Memphis

Washington Trades: 5th Pick (Harden), 2010 1st (unprotected), Andray Blatche, Deshawn Stevenson

OKC Trades: 3rd Pick (Rubio), Nick Collison

Collison wasting away on our bench for $6M is worse than Stevenson playing below average for $3.5M. Keep it at Blatche+5 and I'm fine with it. I'll even kick in Nick Young if they send us Weaver.
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#407 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Sat May 23, 2009 4:18 am

Rico, i just wanted somehow to get rid of stevenson and the salaries matched up almost exactly with Collison.

Also I wanted to be realistic and I do not think Blatche + 5th pick will get it done. They probably arnt as high on Blatche as McGee so we might have to add a future pick (2010 1st) and take back a not so friendly salary, (they are trading down none the less)

All financial problems aside, we get rid of stevenson, get a great player in Rubio, and get a serviceable backup PF.
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

Arenas4Three
Junior
And1: 1
Location: George Mason University (Fairfax, VA/ Washington D.C.)

Post#408 » by Arenas4Three » Sat May 23, 2009 6:02 am

Ok I need to know....what is so special about Rubio?! I saw him play during the Olympics and was disappointed. Sure he was, what 17, but he looked like a high schooler that needs a lot of seasoning. I dont know why we'd take him if we want to win now. He looks like a developmental pick with a high ceiling but everytime we drafted a young gun, they ride the bench.
-I made this sig.
Tiago
Sophomore

Post#409 » by Tiago » Sat May 23, 2009 10:34 am

lupin wrote:
Tiago wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:P'Oed, I wouldn't be surprised if Lawson's more effective right now.

Right now, Lawson is a better player than Rubio in almost every aspects, he's stronger, faster, better shooter than Rubio, other aspects such as passing and basketball IQ will become difficult to compare because they're inserted in different competitions, but from what I watched on TV, and watched many games of both players, they've a good basketball IQ which is reflected, in some way, in the quality of the pass. I don't need to talk about defense, everyone knows that rubio is very poor defensively, which is not the case with Lawson.

I've seen this sentiment with regards to Rubio many times. May I ask, then, if the following is a sarcastic award?

Spanish ACB League Defensive Player of the Year (2009)
[source: wikipedia]

This award was assigned for a site (solobasket.com) based on two assumptions, the height of Rubio and the fact he was the leader in steals , if this award was delivered in the NBA this way, the winner would be Chris Paul.

Rubio might be a good defensive player, getting stronger and faster, but for now I call this award: Marketing.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,543

Post#410 » by closg00 » Sat May 23, 2009 12:33 pm

Does anyone know where the DC area practice facility is? Stephen Curry has been in DC working out.
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Ba ... ng_6-to-12
Ji
Banned User

Post#411 » by Ji » Sat May 23, 2009 1:15 pm

per sporting news...blatche not Mcghee

If Rubio slides to No. 3, the Thunder would take him, but then could potentially ship him to the Wizards for the No. 5 pick and Andray Blatche, according to ESPN.
flash22
Bench Warmer
And1: 676

Post#412 » by flash22 » Sat May 23, 2009 1:37 pm

Why not just sit tight and take Harden who could be an immediate impact on the team. He brings defense, allows arenas to play off the ball some, and has long range shooting. Also outside of Griffin I see him as the least likely to bust and on this team with other scorers around him he could really blossom.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,633

Post#413 » by pancakes3 » Sat May 23, 2009 2:40 pm

Why isn't Rubio bound by the 1-year removed clause that American players have to abide by? Will this lead to an eventual mass-dropping out of American players to go play overseas to bypass a year of college to sip crystal on the Riviera? Why aren't there mobs of Euro scouts coming over with fat wads of euros and sultry Spanish call girls to lure away our HS sophomores? I bet if i falshed thousands of yuan, a platoon of Kelly Hus, and an unscrupulous contract, I could recruit enough underaged talent to make the Chinese Basketball Association halfway decent.
Bullets -> Wizards
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst

Post#414 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Sat May 23, 2009 2:41 pm

So the Rubio for McGee rumor was being spread by the OKC folks, because EG would be an idiot to accept that trade.

Thing is now that we don't have the Blair, we no longer have a logjam at the 4. If we trade Blatche we're stuck with Songaila and we're thin too. I like having Blatche around in case somebody in the front court gets injured.

I think we should just draft the best sg available and stand pat. Well, except that we have luxury tax problems and will be forced to make a trade at some point.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#415 » by LyricalRico » Sat May 23, 2009 2:50 pm

Ji wrote:per sporting news...blatche not Mcghee

If Rubio slides to No. 3, the Thunder would take him, but then could potentially ship him to the Wizards for the No. 5 pick and Andray Blatche, according to ESPN.

:rockon:

I still doubt why Memphis would pass on Rubio instead of picking him and trading him themselves. Would they go for the same package, maybe if we took back Jaric?

Blatche+James+#5

for

Jaric+Rubio

We're already assuming that Abe will pay the tax, so let's go for it!

(Disclaimer - I do have to admit to not being sold on Rubio myself. I"m actually more excited about trading Blatche. From what I saw in the Olympics, I doubt if Rubio has an immediate impact like Chris Paul did. But I absolutely think he can play some NBA minutes right away and I also think he has the potential to play with Arenas. Considering the talent drop off after him, I'm willing to take the chance.)
WizBiz
Assistant Coach
And1: 27

Post#416 » by WizBiz » Sat May 23, 2009 2:51 pm

flash22 wrote:Why not just sit tight and take Harden who could be an immediate impact on the team. He brings defense, allows arenas to play off the ball some, and has long range shooting. Also outside of Griffin I see him as the least likely to bust and on this team with other scorers around him he could really blossom.

This is how I feel about it too. I would rather just stand pat and take whoever is there (preferably Harden) than trade up (unless it's for Griffin, which is doubtful at best.) I guess I would be ok with trading down, though not out of the top 10 or so.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#417 » by miller31time » Sat May 23, 2009 2:54 pm

Also from sporting news...

So, yeah, things could get a little bit interesting. I've got to think that if Rubio slid to No. 3, there'd be a gang of teams trying to trade up to that No. 3 spot, not just the Wizards.
Ji
Banned User

Post#418 » by Ji » Sat May 23, 2009 3:05 pm

miller31time wrote:

Also from sporting news...

So, yeah, things could get a little bit interesting. I've got to think that if Rubio slid to No. 3, there'd be a gang of teams trying to trade up to that No. 3 spot, not just the Wizards.

yea but except for Sacramento, we would have the most ammunition in terms of draft pick(having the 5th pick)

Man...if we could of only slid down to 3 instead of darn 5!
Ji
Banned User

Post#419 » by Ji » Sat May 23, 2009 3:06 pm

I removed blake from my Twitter follow list:(
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#420 » by LyricalRico » Sat May 23, 2009 3:13 pm

Again...why would Rubio slide to #3? Just because he doesn't want to play in Memphis doesn't mean they can't pick him and trade him themselves. Whatever they would get in return for Rubio would be more valuable than Thabeet IMO. Not to mention that other teams that REALLY want Rubio us arranging a deal with OKC, would try to trade up to #2 so that they aren't competing with us. See what I'm saying?

So if we REALLY want Rubio, we shouldn't be calling OKC. We should be calling Memphis. Why am I the only one that understands this?

Return to Washington Wizards