ImageImageImageImageImage

Book Thread. I have nothing good to read.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,437

Re: Book Thread. I have nothing good to read. 

Post#101 » by doclinkin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:19 am

W. Unseld wrote:Doc, I'm a dweeb for traditional ie Marvel/DC graphic novels. If you like end of the world type stuff try the "Earth X/Universe X" series from a few years back, interesting stuff. DC has had some well known authors pen a few traditional hero in tights stories with some entertaining and hilarious adult themed stuff that would have naturally occurred years ago in real life. My wife the snobby lawyer initially gave me cr*p about reading them then quickly discovered one night that short of drugs and alcohol there is no better way to quickly immerse into a diversion that has nothing to do with the daily grind.

All Star Superman 1 and 2 were good. Who else has written for them? You got recommended titles?

I'm no snob on superheroes, I've got an hour long spiel and slideshow on the Whence, Why and Wherefores of Comics with a digression on the importance and value of superheroes.

-[spiel excerpt redacted]-

But nah. There are no levels of geekery. No hierarchy. I don't care if it's stamp collecting, collecting comics, playing Dungeons and Dragons, typing about basketball, dressing up in your plush fur suit-- who gives a rip if somebody else doesn't understand or enjoy it as much. If you ain't hurting nobody then it ain't nobody's business.

Recent hero comics that I've peeked into and liked:

J Michael Straczinsky's 'Thor' re-set.
The Incredible Hercules series. (Speaking of gods as heroes and the like).

But I'm interested in tracking down other titles if anyone has good recommends...

I can't bother with any of the big multi-title story arcs though. Too little time and budget available. I'm lucky though, my local library has a pretty sizeable shelf of comix at all age levels. Super and no.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 110

Post#102 » by W. Unseld » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:05 pm

I don't know authors the way you guys do but I will hunt down the Green Arrows b/c they are hilarious, yet gripping--I haven't read any Green Arrow before or since this guest author but it was well done. The Earth X/Universe X is three compilation titles. I take forever on everything, you could probably knock it out in 90 minutes or less.
lupin
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#103 » by lupin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:49 am

for Hitchhiker fans, here's some news (or a warning depending on how you look at it...): a 6th book in the Trilogy has just been released titled, "And Another Thing...", written by Eoin Colfer of the Artemis Fowl series, and officially sanctioned by Douglas Adams' estate.

also, if you like your Hindu mythology and your sci-fi, you should read Roger Zelazny's Lord Of Light.

from wikipedia:

Lord of Light is set on a planet colonized by the remnants of a destroyed "Urath", Earth. The crew and colonists from the Star of India found themselves on a strange planet surrounded by hostile indigenous races and had to carve a place for themselves or perish. To increase their chances of survival the crew used chemical treatments, biofeedback and electronics to manipulate their minds to manifest superhuman powers. The available technologies also allowed near-immortality through reincarnation using the growth of new bodies and electronic mind transfer.

Over time, the crew gain great powers and manage to subjugate or destroy the native non-human races (which they characterize as "demons") while setting themselves up as "gods" in the eyes of the many generations of colonist progeny. Taking on the powers and names of Hindu deities these "gods" maintain respect and control of the masses by maintaining a stranglehold on the access to reincarnation and by suppressing any technological advancements beyond a medieval level. The "gods" fear that any enlightenment or advancement might lead to a technological renaissance that would eventually weaken their power.

The protagonist, Sam, who has the ability to manipulate electromagnetic forces, is a renegade crewman who has turned down god-hood, believes that technology should be encouraged for the masses, and the right of reincarnation should be available to all. Sam introduces Buddhism as a culture jamming tool and strives to cripple the power of the "gods" with this new religion, as well as murder and outright rebellion.
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#104 » by BanndNDC » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:33 pm

im a sucker for superhero comics as well. although it is not a superhero comic i recently read Y the Last Man and I gotta say it's fantastic. I also thought Fable was pretty good.

The Taste of Conquest is a non fiction book i recently read that I absolutely loved. it's basically on overview of the rise and fall of the three main european spice trading cities (venice, amsterdam, lisbon) and was both really interesting and fun to read. it's all about the history of the spice trade. im not a big non-fiction fan but i thought this was really fascinating and cool in a Botany of Desire kinda way.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#105 » by doclinkin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:42 pm

BanndNDC wrote:im a sucker for superhero comics as well. although it is not a superhero comic i recently read Y the Last Man and I gotta say it's fantastic. I also thought Fable was pretty good.

Okay for the comix cognoscenti or everyman reader: Soliciting a list of anyone's favorite graphic novels, superhero and otherwise. A recent run that was interesting in a particular title? An artist or writer you like and their best work? I know my favorites, some obscure some mainstream, but finding good mainstream stuff can be tough since you have to be pretty widely read in the genre comics (superheroes specifically) to keep up with the flood of everything published.

So far:

--Y the last Man (Brian K Vaghan if I recall correctly)
Following amateur magician Yorick as the sole x-chromosome survivor of a plague that destroyed all male mammals. (Well, yorick and his pet monkey)

--Fables (Bill Willingham)
What happened after 'Happily ever after'. Storybook characters live in the modern world, assimilating with modern society or retreating into fabletown.

Bannd, you've probably read it, but I'd recommend:

-- Ex Machina (also by Vaughan)
Mitchell Hundred acquired the ability to talk to machines, command them even. He was able to save one of the Twin Towers, but in general his superhero career was spotty at best. Instead he figured he could do more good in public service and parlayed his new-found fame into a successful election run to the Mayoral seat of New York City. Discovers the problems and complexities of municipal politics as a progressive populist with little to no political experience, but a bank of fame and good intentions to trade on...

Any other names and titles people recommend? Especially current run Super stuff since that's a semi weak spot for me.
dnk
Sophomore

Post#106 » by dnk » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:46 pm

I'll get my recent favorites out of the way, most of which aren't really "current run Super stuff," but what I think is the best stuff coming out:

Matt Fraction and Gabriel Bá/Fabio Moon - CASANOVA. Brilliant sci-fi espionage. First volume is basically great one-in-done stories that all further the main narrative like great serialized fiction can be. Gets even more amazing every time you reread. People complain about it being hard to get into because of the wacky stuff, but there's still a lot of heart in there, too.

Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips - CRIMINAL. GREAT crime fiction. Not goofy stereotypes like SIN CITY, but just really awesome, atmospheric crime. Also awesome by them: SLEEPER and INCOGNITO.

Jason Aaron and R. M. Guéra - SCALPED. Also really awesome crime fiction set on a Native American reservation. Pretty dark.

Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá - THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY. I think I've read it described as Wes Anderson meets Grant Morrison. And it's pretty apt. Shocking that it comes from the guy from My Chemical Romance, but don't let that dissuade you, it's genuinely really good.

Anything by Grant Morrison.

Plus I did love Y, THE LAST MAN, but you all covered that.

Some recent-ish stuff I haven't read but am dying to:
-David Mazzucchelli - ASTERIOS POLYP
-Darwyn Cooke - THE HUNTER

And for what you asked for, current run Super stuff:

Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely/Philip Tan/Cameron Stewart/Frazer Irving - BATMAN AND ROBIN. Quitely's arc was phenomenal. Tan's art is the one sticking out like a sore thumb out of the art collaborators, but it's serviceable. Morrison's scripting is great. Pretty straightforward, too, for anyone that complains about when he gets more metafictional or "wacky." Even though it's gotten some mixed reviews, I've loved Morrison's whole BATMAN run. Art's been spotty (Tony Daniel is not great at emotional nuance, which the best Morrison stories need).

Matt Fraction and Salvador Larroca - INVINCIBLE IRON MAN. I just love what Fraction's doing with the character, tearing him down and seeing what makes Tony Stark a superhero. Larroca draws beautiful tech and machinery, but like a lot of people maybe too reliant on modeling and photo reference, kind of has trouble with humans. It's been getting a little better.

Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting/Butch Guice/etc.- CAPTAIN AMERICA. His run is incredible. I was never really a Cap fan, but he's doing really great work and it's all coming together.

Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley/Stuart Immonen/David LaFuente - ULTIMATE (COMICS) SPIDER-MAN. I'm a big fan of USM, but I read it in trade, so I still haven't read any of the new ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN stuff with LaFuente yet.

Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev - SPIDER-WOMAN. Beautiful Maleev art as always, and I prefer Bendis writing solo characters. I've only read the first issue so far (#2 just came out, but I get my comics in bimonthly shipments), but I loved it (especially compared with the motion comic).
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#107 » by doclinkin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:48 am

dnk wrote:Matt Fraction and Gabriel Bá/Fabio Moon - CASANOVA.
Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips - CRIMINAL. SLEEPER and INCOGNITO.
Jason Aaron and R. M. Guéra - SCALPED.
Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá - THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY.

Super stuff:
Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely/Philip Tan/Cameron Stewart/Frazer Irving - BATMAN AND ROBIN.
Matt Fraction and Salvador Larroca - INVINCIBLE IRON MAN.
Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting/Butch Guice/etc.- CAPTAIN AMERICA.
Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley/Stuart Immonen/David LaFuente - ULTIMATE (COMICS) SPIDER-MAN.
Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev - SPIDER-WOMAN.

I like some artists coming out of Brazil, though I haven't yet decided if I like the intentional wackiness of the Ba/Moon team. If you get a chance, check out 'Mesmo Delivery' by Rafael Grampa (due for re-release to a larger market in March).

Of the above I've read most but will track down the Bendis Spider-Woman, The Morrison/Quitely Batman and Robin. Cool, thanks.

I generally like Brubaker quite well, he never cheats me. Realistic characters, gritty, believable dialogue, plot. His recent run on The Immortal Iron Iron Fist was pretty solid. I like him even better when he's not dealing with capes and tights. I'll definitely track down 'Sleeper' and 'Incognito'. Have read the first three 'Criminal' books and highly recc' em.

I really loved Brubaker's 'NYPD Blue'-esque series 'Gotham Central' about the ordinary flatfoot cops trying to protect and serve in a world with lunatics like the Joker running loose. (Better than the similar themed Michael Avon Oeming 'Powers' series, though that was quite good as well). I also liked Lowlife, his semi-autobiographical indie release about his own early predilection towards crime.

Some recent-ish stuff I haven't read but am dying to:
-David Mazzucchelli - ASTERIOS POLYP
-Darwyn Cooke - THE HUNTER

Pretty sure I talked about Asterios Polyp earlier in the thread. Architect loses his apartment in a fire, along with his life's work. Escapes to as far as his pocket money will take him. Tries to rebuild his life from scratch while thinking about why his life and marriage failed.

Visually striking, Mazzuchelli is the first artist I've seen to run with the concepts suggested by Will Eisner's 'Comic's and Sequential Art' -- that the very line you choose and palette you select, even the lettering can suggest the inner emotional life of a character and how they perceive the world.
A remarkable work. I'm curious to see what he writes next, or if he blew his artistic wad on this alone. Doubt it, his draftsmanship and characterization transcends even the cute artistic trick.

Just caught a preview of Darwyn Cooke. I'm interested. Good to know. Where'd you hear about it?
dnk
Sophomore

Post#108 » by dnk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:43 am

doclinkin wrote:I like some artists coming out of Brazil, though I haven't yet decided if I like the intentional wackiness of the Ba/Moon team. If you get a chance, check out 'Mesmo Delivery' by Rafael Grampa (due for re-release to a larger market in March).

Do you mean the large torso and anatomy and stuff? Besides that, they can't really help what they draw. Haha Fraction, Way, and Whedon might just like writing crazy stuff for them. And I love reading it. I just love how much nuance they both have in body language and facial expressions, while still being able to draw really incredible and off-the-wall kinetic action scenes. And their designs are really cool. Have you read CASANOVA? Even with only 14 issues and it being some of Fraction's first earliest published material, it is possibly my favorite comic of all time. Not best, just favorite (although it's really, really good).

If you haven't seen, Moon and Bá are coming out with a new 10-issue series called DAYTRIPPER. Starts in January and out of Vertigo. The solicit is trying to sell it off as the next great "indie comic," comparable to the work of Craig Thompson, Paul Pope, and (shockingly to me, more on this further down) David Mazzucchelli.

And re: Grampa, I'll definitely put it on my very long to-read list.

I generally like Brubaker quite well, he never cheats me. Realistic characters, gritty, believable dialogue, plot. His recent run on The Immortal Iron Iron Fist was pretty solid. I like him even better when he's not dealing with capes and tights. I'll definitely track down 'Sleeper' and 'Incognito'. Have read the first three 'Criminal' books and highly recc' em.

I really loved Brubaker's 'NYPD Blue'-esque series 'Gotham Central' about the ordinary flatfoot cops trying to protect and serve in a world with lunatics like the Joker running loose. (Better than the similar themed Michael Avon Oeming 'Powers' series, though that was quite good as well). I also liked Lowlife, his semi-autobiographical indie release about his own early predilection towards crime.

Yeah, Brubaker's one of my current favorites and I've been wanting to read GOTHAM CENTRAL for a long time. I really enjoyed Brubaker and Lark's run on DAREDEVIL, so seeing more of that collaboration would definitely be good. My only concern is this: I don't watch procedurals like LAW AND ORDER on TV for free. Am I paying $10 for what I could get for 44 minutes of my time on USA, but set in the DCU?

I trust that Brubaker, Rucka, and Lark do good work like they generally do, but I'm still a little wary. And there's still A LOT of other stuff I want to read that I'll get to first.

Pretty sure I talked about Asterios Polyp earlier in the thread. Architect loses his apartment in a fire, along with his life's work. Escapes to as far as his pocket money will take him. Tries to rebuild his life from scratch while thinking about why his life and marriage failed.

Visually striking, Mazzuchelli is the first artist I've seen to run with the concepts suggested by Will Eisner's 'Comic's and Sequential Art' -- that the very line you choose and palette you select, even the lettering can suggest the inner emotional life of a character and how they perceive the world.
A remarkable work. I'm curious to see what he writes next, or if he blew his artistic wad on this alone. Doubt it, his draftsmanship and characterization transcends even the cute artistic trick.

Just from the acclaim I've read all over the net, from comics-related sites to the more literary oriented to the more general-pop-culture, I'm shocked Mazzuchelli had it in him to just up and write a classic independent comic. The man's already a legend on the more corporate, superhero side, drawing arguably two of the best stories to come out of DC (BATMAN: YEAR ONE) and Marvel (DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN). But to write something himself that gets so much widespread praise... I'm so impressed and really can't wait to read it. And if I'm as blown away as I hope I am (although I really will have to temper my expectations so that I don't start off with unfair hopes), I wonder what he'll try next.

Just caught a preview of Darwyn Cooke. I'm interested. Good to know. Where'd you hear about it?

I frequent the Bendis Board to get most of my pop culture information. And being Bendis's board, a lot of that "pop culture" isn't actually that popular and is comic-related. But yeah, I read about Cooke doing these adaptations about a year ago, but wanted to read the novels first. But Cooke's adaptation has gotten such rave reviews over the past few months that I'll probably just give it a blind shot soon and read the novels some time over the next year.

----

Also finally read all of Grant Morrison's THE INVISIBLES in the past few months, which was an incredible experience. Have you read that, doc? How do you feel about Morrison's work in general? He's gotten up there as one of my favorite creators in any medium ever.

What's everyone reading now (prose or comics)?

I can practically never read any prose I want to read leisurely because I'm taking two English classes, so I have to read two novels every week (this week: Woolf's THE WAVES and Achebe's THINGS FALL APART). So I spend any time I want to spend reading in my free time reading comics. Right now, I'm reading the latest FABLES trade, and next up is BLACK HOLE by Charles Burns. Then probably finally ASTERIOS POLYP.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,643

Post#109 » by pancakes3 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:34 am

superfreakonomics just came out.
Bullets -> Wizards
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by BanndNDC » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:43 pm

dnk wrote:I can practically never read any prose I want to read leisurely because I'm taking two English classes, so I have to read two novels every week (this week: Woolf's THE WAVES and Achebe's THINGS FALL APART).

i would highly recommend reading "A Man of the People" after things fall apart. it's a really good story about the post colonial era (and relatively short).

doc, thanks for the ex machina rec. i find it hard to suss out what the good comics are nowadays. i keep being disappointed by a lot of the standard stuff. i did like criminal macabre though and love the artwork from the goon (stories are ok).

because it was on tv last night i was reminded about how good "botany of desire" was. if yall havent read it, it's by michael pollan and covers how 4 plants (tulip, apple, cannabis and potato) have evolved over time based on interaction with humans. fascinating stuff.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#111 » by Zerocious » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:00 am

bump

pancakes3 wrote:can't find the book thread. just read Phil Jackson's "The Last Season" and liked it good enough...

awfully high praise for Karl Malone.
pretty critical of Payton.
Kobe's a nutcase.
Shaq's got issues too, no doubt.
DIdn't pull any punches on Krause.
Didn't really mask the fact that he's protecting himself by not revealing ALL the details.
Casually references players that people like my mom wouldn't have a clue about
Talks vaguely of passing angles and playing "the right way" but wishes he went more technical with it if he's going to assume the reader's an NBA fan.
Contradicts himself by talking about the "lowly pistons" earlier in the book and then goes on to say they're a "dangerous team".
Didn't really reveal anything too groundbreaking. Shaq is lazy, Kobe is selfish, Payton is overrated, Malone's a hoss, Derek Fisher has all the intangibles you'd want, the Spurs are properly run, and that KG can be bodied up by a 40 year old.
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#112 » by Zerocious » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:01 am

finished 'twilight' lol now reading bram stoker's dracula!
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 557

Post#113 » by daSwami » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:04 pm

Just finished a book i think is worth adding to the mix ...

"Descartes' Error: Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain" - great read for anyone interested in brain stuff. the book uses "case studies" of some of the most extreme brain injuries that people have survived (crazy stuff - like a guy who lived after having a railroad tie lodged in his skull). It tracks these cases and how each survivor's injury effected his or her behavior over the course of life. Interesting stuff.
:banghead:
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#114 » by doclinkin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:00 pm

The Barfighter by Ivan Goldman.

Rough and tumble fiction about the business of boxing from local club pros scrapping on their way up. The protagonist/narrator teaches English at a community college, or at least he did until he sucker punched someone in a barfight and it turned out to be an off-duty cop. Life sucks that way. He meets a young thug in the Anger Management course they attend, kid understands that the narrator used to box for money. Wonders if anyone can train him. Protagonist says no, but ends up helping him anyway.

Reads enough like biography that you wish it were true, but it carries sufficient capital 'T' Truth in it that it hardly matters. Goldman is a writer contributing to The Ring magazine (boxing rag). Fatalist, defeatist, but not without honor. Really strong writing.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#115 » by BigA » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:19 am

Got this one for Christmas, and am about 1/4 through it. It's really great for those interested in Japan, journalism, or crime:

Tokyo Vice
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,643

Post#116 » by pancakes3 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:01 am

le sigh... these threads are only supposed to surface during the off-season. no?
Bullets -> Wizards
Mortality Pie
Ballboy

Post#117 » by Mortality Pie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:40 am

Thanks Swami, doc, & BigA.. Those sound great.

Here's a recent piece of fiction I just finished that really did it for me:
Everything Matters - Ron Currie Jr.

The story follows the life of a guy from rural Maine who, from the point of his conception, knows of the planet's impending destruction by comet 30-odd years later. Each chapter is written from a different viewpoint: that of the main character, his family members, and an omniscient greek chorus/peanut gallery with a propensity for going off on huge tangents.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#118 » by doclinkin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 am

I'll read anything, but this one was good as all get out:

Tales of the Madman Underground: (an historical romance, 1973), by John Barnes.

Sci Fi author and semiotician John Barnes pens something like a memoir perhaps, a young adult novel, but it's got to be autobiographical in large part.

Story follows a high school kid, one of the Therapy kids in the school , middle america, late 20th century, you know the place.

The members of the in-school therapy group have sorta a tacit agreement not to associate with each other outside of the schedule, so as to avoid catching social cooties and contracting lives more fxcked up than they already are.

Doesn't really work, of course. The main character can't help but react and lash out when provoked. Especially when justified. He's got baggage. Dead father used to be the mayor, drank himself near to death. Kid is in AA recovery. Works six jobs or so. Now mom is running around with the aging hippy crowd, trying to act younger than she is, and paying for her own drinking binges by raiding the protagonists stash of carefully hidden caches of cash.

Doesn't sound very uplifting, I know. But the book reads like Catcher in the Rye if Holden Caufield wasn't such a self-important tool and had a sense of humor about himself, and if he'd read Catcher in the Rye already.

A desperately fast read despite its length. One of those books you're sorry had to end. Makes you curious how the characters all turn out. Probably dull, normal, or debauched and destroyed and thus less interesting, ordinary, like the rest of us as we manage to age and survive with the ragged edges sanded down a bit. But whatever, none of your long lost friends on facebook are as cool as they wanted to be in highschool anyway, I'm sure. And if they are: either good for them, or, you know fxck 'em. No, not literally.

I see now that John Barnes also wrote one of the quirkier fantasy novels I'd ever read. One for the Morning Glory. Almost a folk tale, with a charm akin to The Princess Bride (william Goldman, the book as good as the movie if you like that sort of thing).

Makes me mighty curious about Mr Barnes' other writings. I'll track a few down.
Mortality Pie
Ballboy

Post#119 » by Mortality Pie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:47 pm

doclinkin wrote:Makes me mighty curious about Mr Barnes' other writings. I'll track a few down.

I really like his collection of short stories & essays called Apostrophes & Apocalypses, which I think is great title, by the way. One story in particular blew my mind.. It was called "Empty Sky."

I'll definitely have to check out Madman Underground.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 557

Post#120 » by daSwami » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:20 pm

Ed Wood wrote:I have a friend who has long complained that she has no confederates in our social circle with whom she can discuss Infinite Jest

I would absolutely recommend all three to anyone interested in good fiction, though Jest is not always an effortless read despite being very good.

Confederacy as a book is, I think, incomplete without an explanation of the circumstances of its publishing. John Kennedy Toole was a New Orleans based novelist who went unpublished during his lifetime. Toole taught for a time at both Southwestern Louisiana and Dominican University in New Orleans but eventually left the later while dealing with ill health and alcoholism. Toole killed himself in 1969, A Confederacy having been rejected by Simon and Schuster years earlier. It was only in 1980 when his mother insisted that Walter Percy, an author and professor at Loyola University in New Orleans read the book that it began to draw attention. The book was published soon after and Toole posthumously received a Pulitzer Prize in 1981. Confederacy is a comic tragedy about a modern medievalist in the French Quarter, Ignatius Reilly. Reilly moves through the book and his life at his own pace but is forced to join the ignorant masses of the employed, much to his own disgust. The book is very funny and Reilly is one of the worst great heroes in literature. At the same time I tend to group Toole and Kafka as authors whose work is pervaded by what is retrospectively a puzzling lack of appreciation that must have contributed to the short and difficult lives of both authors.

Infinite Jest is, through a hundred pages, a jumble of several narrations, all of which have been engaging, centered around the story of a young tennis prodigy by the name of Harold Incandenza and his family. It is extremely funny; a passage in which Hal is interviewed by his father masquerading as a "professional conversationalist" is one of the funniest I have ever read, and despite presenting four or five separate story threads so far Jest has yet to miss. The agonizing wait by an addict named Erdedy for such a disgustingly large amount of weed that he intends to make the drug repulsive forever to him (this is not his first attempt at doing just this) has been, apart from the interview, my favorite thus far. The book also somewhat famously includes a passage involving a pair of toothbrushes and a well traveled urban legend which is effective, even more so apparently if you aren't already familiar with the story (my friend was not).

Ed, here's a great (if a little pretentious) DFW fansite: http://www.thehowlingfantods.com/dfw/

I'm presently about 300 pages deep into my second reading of Jest. My first reading took me well over a year (I'd only pick the book up on those rare instances in which I knew I had a decent chunk of time available to read. Its one of "those" books, as in: it's not always possible to just pick up where you left off and remember wtf is going on w/o losing the thread. Re: the above - first time I read the book (8 maybe 9 years ago), I was uninitiated visavis the toothbrush legend. I have since heard it told several times and had always assumed that it was DFW himself who had invented the tale, or does it pre-date the book? I'd be somewhat disappointed if it did.

At any rate, the book is a behemoth, but all the more worthwhile because of it. I've gone on to read everything Wallace has written, and eagerly await the posthumous publication of The Pale King, the book he was working on when he died. The excerpt that was recently published in the New Yorker piqued my interest.
:banghead:

Return to Washington Wizards