ImageImageImageImageImage

What do the Wiz mean to you? Why are you here?

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

What do the Wiz mean to you? Why are you here? 

Post#1 » by fishercob » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:10 am

Alrighty, friends. The wait for draft night is almost over. The trade speculation seems to be pure fluff at this point, and I think we've looked at things from most every possible angle over the course of the very rough season and the time since it ended.

So I was talking to some folks recently about online message board communities. The discussion bordered on athropological. But I then began to wonder about many of my fellow posters. Do you guys post on a lot of other message boards> For sports teams? Where do the Wiz rank in your sports heirarchy?

Here's my deal: I'm one of the massive minority in this town (perhaps you can count us on one hand) whose favorite sports team is the Wiz. More than the Skins, Caps, etc. I'd be most delighted if the Wiz were to somehow win a title.

This is the only message board (plus the trade board) that I post on. I don't follow the Caps or Skins nearly as closely as I do the Skins.

I grew up on baseball -- went to dozens of O's games from the mid-late 80's until Angelos ruined the team and Cal retired. Baseball has lost my interest for many oft-stated reasons that I don't need to get into.

I played basketball in high school and being a part of those teams was a life-changing experience for me. I started working at camps in the summertime and did some coaching high school after college. I basically fell in love with basketball in in the mid-late 90's and have never looked back.

I also love Washington DC. I have a big sense of civic pride. I love the diversity of the city's history. And I love the way sports brings people together. There's nothing I love more than getting sufficiently worked up to high-five -- or hug (it has happened) -- total strangers, who superficially I might absolutely nothing else in common with.

So I like that sense of community. I like stats and insightful ideas that you seldom get from the national (or local mainstream) media. And one won job I'd get off my career track for is to be an NBA GM, so I like playing with that trade checker and trying to put myself in Ernie's shoes.

So that's why I'm here. How about you? Do you frequent other boards?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Agent0_MVP
Freshman
And1: 0

Re: What do the Wiz mean to you? Why are you here? 

Post#2 » by Agent0_MVP » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:04 am

Yes, I love sports in general. What sports do I watch: Well I watch EVERY Wizards game I can. Which is about 97% of all the games since 2005. I watch some football during the reg season, but mostly in the playoffs. I used to be a 49ers fan, but over the years I have basically focused on the Wizards!. I even refer to the Wizards as US or WE most of the time and people always comment about it. If I had to follow a NFL team it would be the Skins. I never played football in school or anytime for any team. I played some baseball. Some soccer, and of course basketball grades 7-12th. When I watch baseball and even when I was little I guess I consider myself an O's fan too. Watch it every here and now. And of course again during the playoffs. I played little league and pony league, but my love always focused towards basketball. I played one season of soccer in school. I did it to get in shape for basketball season. Every summer I would play from morning till dark. SERIOUSLY. I played in rain, and snow. Late after midnight and early as I woke up. I played in shoes and tore up my feet when not ready to play and the guys were playing. I was famous for my 3's back in the day, but I was a Jordan fan and even being small, I took it to the hole!!! When I was hot, I was HOTT! I used to work at McD's in 9th-11th grade and during my 30 min break I would leave and go play. Funny thing is I would always get in trouble for being REAL REAL late(2 hrs) coming back or not at all. I was so into sports back in school I was the Manager for the girls field hockey, softball, and basketball teams in my spare time. I was always a flirt ya know.

I followed MJ to DC I admit. Everyone was a MJ fan I know. I named my son after him...Brady Michael Wiles. My fav number is 23, ask anyone in my family and they know it. They know my love for basketball. Im not even close to my family like that. But they know!!! I follow the Wizards like there is no tomorrow. The last few seasons have hurt, but this season was heartbreaking.

I am just hoping that we make a trade to help us and keep the big 3 and most of our core together. Our pick either needs traded for Vets and picks, or we need to pickup Curry. Thats how I feel.
I just read about getting Mike Miller,Foye, Etc. That had been the best deal I have heard so far that is reality. Amare is not coming to DC and I dont want to break up the Big 3 until after a healthy season or 2. We have the pieces and I feel if we add a scorer or a few Vets and with Saunders and Cassell....I think we have a suprising season ahead. 50 wins!

If u have anymore ?'s dont be afraid to ask. Im here even when I dont post and if you need anything or have cheap tickets...email me.

jwiles2385@yahoo.com

29/male/md

Glad to be part of the boards. Oh and the only other boards I check is ESPN. Used to be more, but I love these to the most.

GO Arenas and Wizards!!
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#3 » by Wizardspride » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:43 am

What do the Wiz mean to me? Everything.

I absolutely love the D.C. area and I mean LOVE the area. I've lived all over the world.

California, Hawaii (Oahu) , Okinawa etc. and I've never felt about a place the way I feel about D.C. or the local teams.

I don't have a favorite local team...I'm extremely passionate about EVERY team in this city/area.

But with that being said, I have to admit that I'm much more of a football fan than a basketball fan.

What I am is a WIZARDS fan.

I take losses hard...probably a little too hard.

And why am I here?

I'm here to connect with my Wizards brothers (and sisters). Sometimes it seems as if they're aren't many of us out there.

I spend alot of time on Extremeskins.com getting my Redskins fix as well.

Eventually, we are going to win a title (I know it) and when we do I want to be here to celebrate it with you guys(and gals :) ).

Randy
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#4 » by dandridge 10 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:43 am

Basketball and the Bullets/Wizards have been a very large part of my life since my family and I moved from Detroit to Frederick, MD in 1976. I was 10 years old then, and the only reason I was looking forward to the move was that my parents promised me that I could play organized basketball when got to this area. I began playing ball in the Montgomery County rec league in 4th grade and started watching the Bullets because friends on my team were fans and the Bullets were very good. I became hooked on the Bullets during their Championship run in 1978 and still remember watching the 1979 Championship on an old black and white TV with rabbit ears and crying my eyes out when the Bullets lost. My parents couldn't understand why I was so upset, but I thought I had my heart ripped out.

I played basketball in the Montgomery County rec league from 4th to 8th grade and then played at Frederick High from 9th-12. Aside from playing football in 9th grade, the only sport I played organizationally was basketball. Although I always considered myself a pretty good athlete and did pretty well in other sports, basketball was the only sport that I really cared about and was better at than most of my peers.

I continued to play and coach basketball, and follow the Bullets/Wizards, after High School and into College and Law School. After law school, I landed a job in D.C. that allowed me to afford something that I always dreamed about as a kid...season tickets for the Bullets/Wizards. I've been a season ticket holder for 14 years now and until my son was born 2 years ago, my wife and I went to every home game. Now, I go to about half the games. I plan on resuming going to all the games when my son gets a little older and can go with me.

The Wizards are the only Pro team that I follow in this area. Although I watch the Skins a little since my wife is a fan, I'm still a Detroit Lions fan from the days I lived in Detroit (as you can tell, I'm very loyal even when my teams suck). Although I did watch the Caps a little this season and rooted for them as the "home" team, I can't really can't say that I'm a hockey fan. I HATE baseball and would rather watch paint dry than watch a Nats or Orioles game. I do follow the Terps in both basketball and football.

I'm on this board because it is hard to find fellow NBA fans, let alone Bullets/Wizards fans, and its nice to have someone to talk to about a team that I love so much. Although my wife is a fan and goes to games with me, she can't understand why I get so emotional over the Wizards. Since she can only take so much of my whining, its nice to come on this board and vent sometimes to people that are as emotionally vested in the Wizards as I am. I can't wait for the days when my son can go to the games with me and I can only hope that he becomes as big of a fan as me. If he does, I'll be in seventh heaven.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#5 » by mohammed10 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:07 am

Great post, fish...

I am DC through and through. Born and raised there. Attended HS and college in the city. So I bleed DC sports.

You wouldn't be able to tell with my current body habitus, but I played HS basketball in the Catholic League in the mid-late 80's when Dematha was king. Followed all the ballers from DC area (and there have been plenty) with passion. Still think DC produces some of the best basketball players in the country, bar none.

Living in Cleveland area now (which does s*ck as much as the youtube vids show) and cannot stand the hype machine that is LeBron James (good player, but let's not get carried away)

Live and Die every Sunday with my beloved Skins (no matter how much the Danny is running them into the ground). Watch every Wiz game I can with Direct TV...even get back to the phone booth to catch a game or two with my brothers. Youngest brother is a huge hockey nut, so I have started to watch more and understand the game's nuances better thanks to him. It helps that the Caps are looking like a perinneal playoff team for the foreseeable future.

Moved out of DC before Nats came to town. Must admit that I am not a baseball fan - steroids and late 90's strikes took that love from me.

Can't wait for my job to move me back to the area I still consider home (and have not lived in the area for nearly 20 yrs).
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#6 » by BigA » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:23 am

1. What the Wizards mean to me?

I'm a new fan, got interested watching Arenas at the end of 03-04. Started going to games 04-05, have organized a group to buy 4 plans together for the last 3 seasons. I thought "even if the team never makes it, at least I get to watch Arenas in his prime." That hasn't worked out so well lately. But they're my team, and they'll always be my team unless they do something horrible to break faith (see below).

Grew up in NJ, lived in Michigan and a couple years in Japan. Was a Net fan as a kid. Was all excited about the merger and the team moving to NJ from Long Island until it was announced that they were trading Julius Erving to the Sixers to pay an indemnity to the Knicks. I was 14 and it broke my heart. I mildly followed pro basketball on and off over the years after that but without any emotional involvement.

2. Other teams?

I finished up my undergrad and went to grad school at Michigan, and Michigan football is about equal to the Wizards for me at this point. I follow the NFL and root for the Lions, but not with alot of feeling. Was a big Yankee fan as a kid, but don't really care about baseball at this point.

So I really just follow two teams in a passionate way.

3. This board, other boards?

On this board, there are alot of knowledgeable posters who care about the Wizards, the mods do a very good job (it's enjoyable to poke fun at them every now and then), and it feels like a little community. I enjoy participating, even though I take more than I give in terms of knowledge, etc.

In particular, it's interesting reading everyone's opinions about the draft, etc., since I have almost no time to watch hoops other than the Wizards and a few other odd NBA games, so I haven't watched any of these people and don't have any opinions.

I also follow the free Michigan football board on Rivals, but there's alot of discussion, much of it not about football, and it's entertaining to read but I don't post as much as I do here.
Wiz99
Analyst
And1: 158

Post#7 » by Wiz99 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:54 am

The Wizards are my #1 team in sports, no matter the sports. I was raised here in DC and somehow, someway, the Wizards were always my favorite outfit, even among the multiple super bowl trips of the Gibbs Skins, or the several exciting versions of the Os (my favorite? Brady--lantern-jaw-Anderson and his roided-up 50 HRs back in the 90s).

What do the Wiz mean to me? Well, for about 20 years it was the kind of love a parent must have for a paint-huffin', no account bum of a son. You love 'em in spite of yourself.

But recently, they've returned to some level of respectability. Still haven't surmounted mediocrity yet, but I suppose waiting, hoping to see the Wiz take that next step forward is what keeps me interested and posting on these boards. My first post 'round here was back in 2004 saying the trade for Jamison would help this franchise become a .500 team, but his no-D ways would doom us from going further and we'd have to trade him to progress. So far, I'm sorry to say I look right.

I don't post on any other boards. Just this one with y'all.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#8 » by JWizmentality » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:59 am

I was told there would be free food.....
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#9 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:09 am

At a very young age, I lost basically all I had in life. Soon I fell into drug use and I was abusing psychedelic drugs and marijuana mostly for about a year and a half. Academically and socially, I was a total train wreck and I didn't have a family to provide me any sort of guidance. I was an eighth grader in middle school at the moment. I'm not going to get into the whole story of how I got out of drug abuse, but by the time I was a junior in high school I was completely drug and alcohol free. These years were the absolute worst. My train wreck of a childhood had only thing that I can carry with me to this day and that's sports.

I have no playful memories and no amazing stories to tell people, but I do have great sports memories. Honestly, sometimes I really feel like sports are the only reason I didn't end up dead. The Redskins, Wizards and Capitals have been the family I never had. Through my druggie years, through rehab and through withdrawal, sports were the only constant in my life and the only thing that kept me sane. Every great memory from my troublesome childhood are sports memory.

I don't remember when exactly I started posting here, but this is the board I frequent the most. I occasionally post on Extremeskins and the Capitals board but I enjoy this place more than any other online message board. I know over the past few seasons, I have generally been on the **** list of quite some people due to my extreme dislike for Eddie Jordan's coaching which came through in all of my posts for a good amount of time. Seriously, I look back and realize how awfully annoying I must have been. But I think I've toned down quite a lot (at least I think have lol). I've learned a lot from this board, mostly understanding and looking at everyone's point of view rather than being a self absorbed prick.

My sports heirarchy really is 1a Redskins, 1b Wizards, 1c Capitals. I am equally pessimistic about all three :) but I can't help but tune in and watch every game I can. :D
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#10 » by pancakes3 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:18 am

love the wiz as much as the rest of you. highlight was singing the national anthem at a bullets game with my church choir back when i was 10. webber winked at me. no homo.

basketball is my first love but i played HS football too and i root for the skins. i also played rec soccer as a kid but i definitely do not like to watch soccer as much as i do basketball and football. i'd definitely rank my viewing pleasure as Football (the number of games makes it more important), Basketball, golf, tennis, soccer, and baseball coming in dead last. I'm sensing a trend there.

collegiately i'm a wahoo though as of late i've become quickly disillusioned by the combination of how much money UVa pours into their sports and how poorly we do with those dollars. plus close interaction with the athletes (at bars, parties, classes, etc.) makes it hard to respect those players and be a fan of their production. for example: singletary and adrien joseph used to take "school-issued" sidekick phones and bet it on 2-on-2 games at the fitness center. Mike Brown was widely known to routinely steal/sell things from the athletic department and libraries before he was busted reselling a stole laptop by the cops.

none of these anecdotes will ever train me to hate all things duke and fsu. the damage has been done.

i do some light posting on straightdope.com for more esoteric discussions (when i'd rather debate the death penalty than another trade scenario) but i post a bulk of my thoughts here and on the player comparison board. however, the PC board is starting to get to me. it's disgusting how little respect some of the guys on that board have for older players. Dirk>Russell, Baylor being d-league material now, etc.
Bullets -> Wizards
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:28 am

Born and raised in Northern VA, right outside of DC and I am a die hard Redskins, Capitals and Wizards fan. Not a big baseball guy but once the O's or Nats get consitantly good, i will watch.

Ever since I can remember watching the teams on TV, i loved it, whether it was the Skins, wiz or caps.

I have to hold my ground because all of my family and when I say all i mean ALL of my family is from Boston, MA or somewhere close to it. Uncles, Aunts, Cousins, grandparents...the whole enchalada.

They get to boast the superbowls, Celtics and even the Bruins had a good year, oh and that baseball team. I grew up hating Boston teams, and my family asks me why and I just do. I cant stand the C's, the Sox or the Pats.

The only time I root for boston teams is if the Pats play the cowgirls or Boston plays Cleveland.

DC baby.
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
RickRoll_inDC
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by RickRoll_inDC » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:40 am

Grew up and still live in Iowa, Phillies fan, Wizards fan, and a Colts. I don't know why my teams are in Indiana, Pennsylvania, and Washington DC.

My dad grew up watching those teams back in the 70's when the Bullets were one of the only teams to be on TV because they were actually good. The same with the Colts back in the late 60's early 70's. I have no idea about the Phillies..... I know he was a big Johnny Callison fan. He followed by brainwashing me as a small child in the early 90's.

I do think that the Colts are my #1 team to watch, but that's mostly because the place I work is closed on Sundays and I have to work most nights when the Wizards are on. Also, I didn't really feel like watching a Wizards game that is just so absolutely disgusting.

Yes I get made fun of for not being either a T-Wolves, Twins, and Vikings fan, or a Bulls, Bears, and Cubs fan, but I really don't care. I've got 2 championships in the last 3 years.
19-13 on game threads
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#13 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:49 am

Part 1

I became a Bullets fan when I was in the 2nd grade. After my first year of seriously watching football (the year the Redskins lost to the 49ers in the 2nd round), I picked the Bullets simply because they were the local team. That being said, I didn't watch them much because they weren't that good and I mainly watched the Jordan Bulls.

As I grew older I started to watch more basketball especially after Chris Webber came. My interest increased when Juwan Howard put together a career year and when Webber tried to come back from a shoulder dislocation, only to have it dislocated again by going up against Charles Oakley. I remember going to my first basketball game after winning a checkers tournament in middle school. I lost 5 bucks that night betting that the Bullets would beat the Clippers, Calbert Cheaney missed the game winner.

My intrigue with the league grew more with the NBA draft and following Joe Smith and the Maryland Terps. I was hoping that Jerry Stackhouse would slip but the Wizards ended up with Rasheed Wallace; who ended up being better player but the Wizards seemed like they needed a new shooting guard.

My interest with the Wizards dwindled from 1997 after the Bullets traded Chris Webber for Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe. I still remember going to middle school and being disgusted at the trade at the day of the trade, especially since the Bullets closed the season strong. It was fitting that the Washington franchise changed its name from Bullets to Wizards. The team was more worried about image instead of winning.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#14 » by miller31time » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:36 am

The Wizards are basically the only professional sports team I follow religiously. I follow and enjoy the Ravens, Terps, Orioles and Capitals (in that order) but they simply do not compare to the Wizards.

This should tell you something. I'm not a D.C resident. I'm only 20 and have lived in Baltimore my entire life. I only follow the Wizards because I'm an avid basketball fan and they're the closest thing we, here in Maryland, have to a professional basketball team.

Now, it's actually pretty strange I'm a Wizards fan. Even an avid basketball fan wouldn't be convinced to watch NBA basketball after seeing only the Wizards of 99' as one of their first basketball memories, but for some odd reason, they kept my interest.

As the years went by, my interest grew. There were the Jordan years, then the playoff years, and here we are with a team wondering if we're going to compete or rebuild.

I guess it's pretty evident that, no matter what choice we make, I'll still be a "fan"atic....after all, I watched Ike Austin and Tyrone Nesby be rotation players....I can certainly take whatever Grunfeld wants to throw at me.

(BTW: Made this entire post drunk. Where's my award for being semi-coherent?)
WIZKID
Senior
And1: 14

Post#15 » by WIZKID » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:00 am

I have beta max tapes ofthe 1979 champioship series against Seattle.

Caps, Terps, Skins, O's yes

Nationals, Ravens, Georgetown no or not nearly as much as above mentioned teams??
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#16 » by closg00 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:57 am

As a "homer" I started gravitating towards becoming a full-time Wiz-fan as a result of my disgust with the Dan Synder run Redskins. I have my problems with Wiz managment, but they pale in-comparison with the Skins (talk about bad karma).

So now I am a full-time hoops-head. My wife used to complain about me watching too-much football, but now she is even more annoyed because I switched to basketball :D
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#17 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:19 pm

I'm definitely a Bullets/Wizards fan first and foremost. I seriously began following them in the days of CWeb, Juwan, and Strickland, and probably missed watching only a dozen games tops over my stint in high school (who studies in high school??), when I also played ball myself. Basketball is the only sport I played through most of my adolescence, and as much as I love playing football, b'ball will always be #1.

I'm here because I'm a faithful fan of each team from DC (Skins are definitely 1B, all the way through the Nats who I've never watched cause I can't stand baseball but pull for during sportcenter highlights-- does that count?). But if I want to talk Skins, I can do it in person with people at church, work, or seemingly anywhere as many hard core Skins fans as I know. But I often seem to be the only person around who lives and dies with the Wizards. To many around here they still are treated like an afterthought and a running joke of a sports team. So in order to not feel like a freak or develop a complex, I come here.

In short, I also come here because: 1.) it's the only readable forum i've ever found, the rest are chaos, and 2.) I know you guys live and die with the Wizards just like me, and are well informed and knowledgable (well, most of you...) to boot.
benb331
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#18 » by benb331 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:41 pm

miller31time wrote:I'm only 20

I wouldn't have guessed that one.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#19 » by closg00 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:28 pm

benb331 wrote:
miller31time wrote:I'm only 20

I wouldn't have guessed that one.

Hard to believe, that would have Miller posting here as a 15/16 y/o. The-again, I understand he is in college. Punk-kid :D
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#20 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:15 pm

I just root for the home team, always have always will. I love the skins and wizards (last few years its been wiz 1st).

I was bored at work one day and registered here as something like washing_ton3, didnt think I was going to post as much as I did, so I needed a real handle, became Donkey Mcdonkerton.

I check this place daily, but rarely post anymore, really due to last season and all the ej must be fired crap, it wasnt that I agreed or disagreed, it was just a broken record and boring.

NOW, with a healthy team im hoping this place is hopping again with real stuff to talk about. GO WIZ

Return to Washington Wizards