ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizard's Summer League (Las Vegas) (7/14)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,391

Re: Wizard's Summer League (Las Vegas) (7/14) 

Post#81 » by doclinkin » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:04 am

Kyle Spain was another interesting prospect though he fell the helloff the second half of the season. I like Tyrese Rice as well. We picked up some of the top prospects among the undrafteds. Similarly to Dat, I liked Aminu and Heytvelt. Aminu for the athletic upside, Heytvelt for the face-up game and ranged attack.

Of the undrafteds the key figure missing that I wanted to see was Aaron Jackson from Duquesne. He's trying out for the Pacers. But we look pretty interesting regardless.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#82 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:12 pm

I'd like to see them sign Aminu and let him play a year in the D League. Heytvelt has the skills and talent to play in the NBA, but I'm not sure if he's up to the physicality. Then again, I thought the same thing about his teammate - Daye, and he was a mid 1st rounder.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#83 » by WizStorm » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:00 pm

I went ahead and updated the roster in the initial post with vitals and links.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#84 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:50 pm

nate33 wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:In my blog, I wondered about which direction McGuire should/would go. Bulk up and play inside (like Ben Wallace or Rodman), or work on the corner 3 and emulate Bowen? As CCJ suggested, why not both? I think McGuire might be better served to get stronger and be more of an inside player. In the short term, that's where minutes are more likely to be available this season. Longer term, there's always a market for a guy who can rebound and block shots. Pretty good wing defenders with limited offense are a dime a dozen.

Dennis Rodman had a 16.5% offensive rebound rate? :o

What's really freaky to consider is that those could be considered down years for Rodman's offensive rebounding. For his career, his offensive rebound rate was 17.2. His peak was 94-95 when his orb% was 20.8. Image
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#85 » by Severn Hoos » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:13 pm

Great to see Heytvelt & Aminu on the roster. Should be an interesting week. I really do wish the League would expand the 15-man roster to 18. Or let the teams send someone to the D-League but be able to replace him on the 15-man. I'd really love to see either or both of these guys on a true minor league affiliate, where the team could guide and monitor their progress. Problem is, it's pretty obvious that the Wiz have several players that they're simply not counting on for anything (James, Stevenson). They'll probably need every roster space to field a full 12 at a time (yes, I understand not everyone plays, but when injuries hit, it'll get even thinner).

It sounds weird to think that 15 spots isn't enough in a game where only 5 play at a time and most rotations don't go past 9. But that's what it looks like to me.
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#86 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:25 pm

Heytfelt can contribute right awayon the offensive end and is a decent rebounder. Not sure he will bang with the big boys, which is what we'll need and defense is so-so. Aminu is very raw. Should play overseas. I love Tyrese Rice but there's no room for him. Of course, he's an undersized two that can play some one. Just a crafty college player who likes the big shot. Edwards is 28 years old? Ruoff is a very versatile player, kind of in the Mike Miller mold, but not as long or athletic.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#87 » by MF23 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:41 pm

No Hendrix? Shocker, the FO seems to hate players with bad measurements.

Dat, I know your going to see Wizards FO people over in Vegas. Could you ask if the medical staff flagged Blair as an injury risk that couldn't be drafted? Tell us who parties to much out there to? Better not be Nick Young. That young man should dominate this year. With no draft picks he's supposed to.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#88 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:11 pm

It's great to get excited about certain guys on the SL team but there's still the little matter of roster space to consider. They can't sign bigs in free agency AND sign guys off the SL squad. That's why I've been advocating trading for veteran bigs, that way we'd still have a spot or two left for guys like Heytvelt or Aminu.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by WizStorm » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:14 pm

LyricalRico wrote:It's great to get excited about certain guys on the SL team but there's still the little matter of roster space to consider. They can't sign bigs in free agency AND sign guys off the SL squad. That's why I've been advocating trading for veteran bigs, that way we'd still have a spot or two left for guys like Heytvelt or Aminu.
Don't the Wizards currently have room to sign a veteran big and a rookie big from SL (if they prove worthy enough)
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,359

Post#90 » by Kanyewest » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:41 pm

WizStorm wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:It's great to get excited about certain guys on the SL team but there's still the little matter of roster space to consider. They can't sign bigs in free agency AND sign guys off the SL squad. That's why I've been advocating trading for veteran bigs, that way we'd still have a spot or two left for guys like Heytvelt or Aminu.
Don't the Wizards currently have room to sign a veteran big and a rookie big from SL (if they prove worthy enough)

The Wizards have 13 players under contract and they can sign 2 more players if they want to/have enough money.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#91 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:49 pm

Kanyewest wrote:The Wizards have 13 players under contract and they can sign 2 more players if they want to/have enough money.

If that's the case then, absent any trades, they have to go big with any FA signings and at least one of them needs to be a vet (although I would prefer both). The point I was making earlier is that if they were to swap a couple of their guards for bigs now, then they would be free to sign anybody who stood out in SL regardless of size/position.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,396

Post#92 » by nate33 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 4:54 pm

I figure they'll only sign one guy. That'll keep costs down and it'll leave them the option of signing an emergency replacement mid-season in case we get riddled by injuries at one specific position.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,359

Post#93 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jul 3, 2009 6:49 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
If that's the case then, absent any trades, they have to go big with any FA signings and at least one of them needs to be a vet (although I would prefer both). The point I was making earlier is that if they were to swap a couple of their guards for bigs now, then they would be free to sign anybody who stood out in SL regardless of size/position.

I wouldn't make a deal simply for making space for an undrafted guard. Why fix something that isn't broke? Of course, if the Wizards can get a quality big at the right price, then I would be all for it. Still, it's hard to find a team that's willing to trade big for small.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#94 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jul 3, 2009 9:06 pm

^ Well, signing somebody from SL is only one option. If they were to balance the roster now, they'd be free to take advantage of any option that comes up, be it FA or trade, over the course of the season.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#95 » by WizarDynasty » Sat Jul 4, 2009 12:40 am

I think our number one target should jeff adrien and another artletic shot blocking banger. Our bigs really don't have an athtletic tough shot blocking banger to mimic from practice. Haywood is the closest thing but he doesn't have the athleticism to beat anyone after initating a banging move in the paint.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#96 » by 80sballboy » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:30 am

Jeff Adrien is a 3 man or combo forward. I guess he's ok as a 14th man. I like his game but there are so many of those tweener type of guys out there. Let's see how he does in Summer League competition and whether he can handle much taller guys. Who wouldn't love to sign an athletic shotblocking banger? Who is available? Shaq?
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,544

Post#97 » by closg00 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:00 am

^^^^^
Memphis is looking for a beefy PF-type, so they have Adrien on their squad for a try-out. Phoenix surprised everyone by selecting Taylor Griffin (6-7 238) in the second round for the same reason.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#98 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:02 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

I wouldn't make a deal simply for making space for an undrafted guard. Why fix something that isn't broke? Of course, if the Wizards can get a quality big at the right price, then I would be all for it. Still, it's hard to find a team that's willing to trade big for small.

Isn't that what we just did?
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by WizStorm » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:19 pm

ZonkertheBrainless wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

Isn't that what we just did?
He did say "quality" big.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#100 » by yungal07 » Mon Jul 6, 2009 8:08 pm

I'm watching Orlando summer league, and the announcers are absolutely killing the players. Wow.

Roy Hibbert looks like crappo.

Return to Washington Wizards